My company is no longer going to support BlackBerry 10 phones and are implementing a new mobile device management solution that won't work with my Z10. So for work purposes to get my company email / calendar, I have to switch back to my old BlackBerry Bold 9930 (since they still will support old BlackBerry on BES).

Anyway, I'd love to keep my Z10 for personal use and only use the bold 9930 for work. I only want 1 phone/data plan though, so does anybody know a good (and easy) way to be able to switch back and forth between them? I know the sim cards are different sizes, but not even sure if swapping sim cards between them would work.

Any possible ideas out there in CrackBerry nation? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 03:38 PM
    If you only want one plan, there's not a lot that can be done really unless you just want to have on on WiFi. Tether your Z10 off your 9930.
    01-27-14 04:25 PM
    Easy. What I do is set my outlook.com mail or Gmail as imap on my work outlook... or use hotmail/outlook connector in my office Outlook to sync with my outlook.com email. Then, set up rules to move a copy of emails received on your office Outlook inbox to the outlook.com or Gmail inbox.. whichever u set up. That's all u need.. the emails will be received on your phone in your private email inbox when your office outlook syncs. That's what I do. I prefer the outlook connector though cos calendar invites also show properly but on Imap they look like just an email you can't accept or decline.

One caveat though.. you cannot shut your pc down because the rules to move emails from one inbox to the other will only work when the pc is logged into. Thus, this might not be a convenient solution for you.

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 01-27-14 at 04:53 PM.
    01-27-14 04:40 PM
    Micro sims can have an adapter to make them standard size. If you have a BIS plan, data will still work fine in the Z10.

Just swap the sim back and forth.

Z10 until Z30
    01-27-14 04:42 PM
    Micro sims can have an adapter to make them standard size. If you have a BIS plan, data will still work fine in the Z10.

Just swap the sim back and forth.

Z10 until Z30
    Thanks! Any recommendations on a specific model of sim adapter that would work well with the BlackBerry Bold 9930? Did a brief initial glance on amazon and saw reviews all over the map on pros/cons in general. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 08:45 AM
    You just need a standard micro sim adapter it's nothing more than a piece of plastic to frame the micro sim to fit the bigger sim slot. I would recommend getting a couple though as they are very thin in parts and not really intended to be used repeatedly.

But can I come at this from a different angle?

Why doesn't their new method support the Z10? If it supports Android (if it doesn't what *does* it support? iPhone only? Erk) can't you side load whatever the Android devices would use?

Z10 | STL100-2 | 10.2.1.1925
    01-28-14 09:03 AM
    You just need a standard micro sim adapter it's nothing more than a piece of plastic to frame the micro sim to fit the bigger sim slot. I would recommend getting a couple though as they are very thin in parts and not really intended to be used repeatedly.

But can I come at this from a different angle?

Why doesn't their new method support the Z10? If it supports Android (if it doesn't what *does* it support? iPhone only? Erk) can't you side load whatever the Android devices would use?

Z10 | STL100-2 | 10.2.1.1925
    Great question and somewhat ironic answer.... (unfortunately for me). It's all driven by corporate IT security and it's ironic that Blackberry is probably the most secure! They are only planning to support ios and Samsung Safe android devices (so other android devices are out also) through the new mobile device management system and don't want to license the module that supports Blackberry 10 given small demand within our company for those devices at this point. Since they still have large pool of BB7 devices, they will still support the old BES environment - thus why I would need to switch back to my old Bold 9930. Since our MDM is smart enough to know if an android device is Samsung Safe (vs. other varieties), I'm assuming it's smart enough to know if it's a BB10 running the android client version of the MDM. But great question from a different angle, so thanks.
    01-28-14 02:03 PM
    Great question and somewhat ironic answer.... (unfortunately for me). It's all driven by corporate IT security and it's ironic that Blackberry is probably the most secure! They are only planning to support ios and Samsung Safe android devices (so other android devices are out also) through the new mobile device management system and don't want to license the module that supports Blackberry 10 given small demand within our company for those devices at this point. Since they still have large pool of BB7 devices, they will still support the old BES environment - thus why I would need to switch back to my old Bold 9930. Since our MDM is smart enough to know if an android device is Samsung Safe (vs. other varieties), I'm assuming it's smart enough to know if it's a BB10 running the android client version of the MDM. But great question from a different angle, so thanks.
    It's a shame your IT didn't act sooner as up to a month ago they could have deployed BES10 for those with BB10 phones with no licensing costs at all by migrating existing CALs, just the cost of a server to run it on, virtual or otherwise.

I'd say it's worth a try installing the Android app for the MDM they are using on your Z10 and giving it a try, what have you got to lose? It's easy to do know with 10.2.1.x rolling out. They can only say sorry you have an unsupported Android phone if they notice.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-28-14 02:13 PM