Well, I must say new Z10 joy tastes a lot like ashes right now. Seriously underwhelmed by Blackberry gaffe, support ineptitude, and poor carrier support for data transfer to Z10 from older models. Yes, I know. After years of this kind of neglect and abuse, one should perhaps expect nothing less, but one always hope that this time it will be different, this time, with the company on the line, they'll be sincere in their promises to reform. It is never a good thing when your customers talk in the language and terms used by battered children and spouses.

Bell Mobility is big on selling 3-year contracts for smartphones, so they will have lots of folks on BB OS 6 or older, that they will be trying to sell on the new Z10. Alas, the cries of their remorseful buyers will probably go unheard.

OK Thanks ,rant over, request for ideas begins:

My Mum has just upgraded from Torch 9800, which she quite liked, to the Z10.
    I am trying to transfer data from Contacts and Calendar. So far only contacts are working. No joy on calendar.
    I have lurked on the other threads, and tried a couple of the posted ideas: the suggested easy method to transfer calendar was to do a Backup/Restore via SD Card.
    This seems to require OS7 or later, but the 9800 is 3 years old, and apparently can only run OS 6.0

I did manage to export the calendar to ASCII file, but I'm struggling to find the import pathway into the Z10
    I would rather not set up a gmail account for the express purpose of moving the calendar, ditto for acquiring and setting up Outlook.

Any ideas?
    02-17-13 12:16 PM
    How about creating a Gmail account and syncing the calendar entries with the Google account then re-syncing the Gmail account with the z10?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:21 PM
    Update: Thank you Waterloo.

Finally got through to a very helpful technical person at RIM, who is working the issue as we speak.
    As others have posted, the calendar transfer to a new device is easy if you have an online calendar synch already active.
    However, for those folks who do not want or need an online calendar, everything is on the BB device, for which there is no easy work-around pre-OS 7.x

Apparently RIM is aware that this hole exists, and is working to patch it for the many OS 6.0 devices that they know are out there.
    Unconfirmed rumour: gmail calendars are apparently having more issues than Hotmail or Outlook synch,
    02-17-13 02:03 PM
    have been holding that as a very last resort. Having this calendar online is not a thrilling prospect to the owner.
    Of course, it seems plausible that gmail is among the most secure online resources, but then what might the GOOGLE machine be doing with all that data? Perhaps when it becomes self-aware, it will use the calendars to know exactly where to send the hunter-killer bots?

Kidding (mostly). I am not (quite) that paranoid. :-)
    02-17-13 02:08 PM
    Update: The problem, according to BB tech support is related to the *.bbb file created by the old Blackberry 9800 via Blackberry Desktop OS 6 backup, being somehow incompatible with OS10 import via Blackberry Link.
    They helped me get a clean *.bbb file which then imported to the Z10 via the Restore task, and voila - calendar and contacts all intact.
    This problem is unlikely to occur if you are synced to a web based calendar, because you can sync the new device with the calendar on the web. RIM folk are apparently working to patch the gap anyway.
    02-19-13 09:35 PM