Good Evening friends,

I am thinking of purchasing a locked Telus z10 that is in great condition. Is unlocking the device relatively easy? From what I read the telus version is the same version as the T-mobile one 100-3 correct? I have seen some unlock codes on ebay available too but am worried about how well they truly work. Sorry for the newbish questions but just wanting to verify everything that i have read so far. Also what is everybody's preferred unlocking method?
    01-12-15 12:35 AM
    How much you get your z10 for? Go to unlockbox.ca! It connects with ebay also and they are great! Just unlocked my Z30 about a week ago right after I entered the code it was unlocked right away with no issues, just make sure you enter the right provider!

Z30 | 10.3.1.1949
    01-12-15 01:20 AM
    There are a number of 3rd party unlock companies. Look on the Telus forum, you may want to check to see if they recommend anyone. Here's the unlock forum.

BlackBerry Unlocking - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Yes, the 100-3 is 100% compatible with Tmo. Also, if you have the right OS, you can use wifi-calling.
    01-12-15 06:42 AM
    The listing is on ebay for a good price, so the chances of using wifi calling are not guarenteed either way then? Does it need to be a T-mobile specific phone or a general 100-3 would suffice so I can load the app.
    01-12-15 12:19 PM
    The listing is on ebay for a good price, so the chances of using wifi calling are not guarenteed either way then? Does it need to be a T-mobile specific phone or a general 100-3 would suffice so I can load the app.
    It does not need to be a branded Tmo phone. I have two, one is branded, one is not and they both allow wifi-calling. It has to be a 100-3 and have an OS that allows it. I am running version .2228 on my branded and .3442 on my unbranded.

BTW, when I got my unbranded phone and updated to .3442 W/Tmo SIM installed), wifi-calling app just appeared. Remember you have to ask for the service (it's free) and put an address in under the 911 spot on your profile. OS can be changed, of course. Let us know when you get it.
    01-12-15 01:37 PM
    Make sure its the RFK121LW version if you want it to work on T-mobile's AWS band. You may want to find a Windmobile one instead. I believe Telus's Z10 is a RFF91LW version and it will not work T-mobile regardless if it's a STL 100-3.

Posted via CB10
    fvshaggy likes this.
    01-12-15 01:48 PM
    Make sure its the RFK121LW version if you want it to work on T-mobile's AWS band. You may want to find a Windmobile one instead. I believe Telus's Z10 is a RFF91LW version and it will not work T-mobile regardless if it's a STL 100-3.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the heads up about that.
    01-12-15 02:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is incorrect. Both the "tmobile" RFK121LW and the "at&t" RFF91LW are exactly alike. The specs listed for the RFF91LW are NOT RIGHT. Both versions have the AWS band.

We've had this discussion on tmo, and they've had it on Wind, and it's somewhere on the Z10 forum as well:

http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil...00-aws-953507/
    Last edited by scrannel; 01-12-15 at 03:39 PM.
    fvshaggy and Smitty13 like this.
    01-12-15 03:29 PM
    This is incorrect. Both the "tmobile" RFK121LW and the "at&t" RFF91LW are exactly alike. The specs listed for the RFF91LW are NOT RIGHT. Both versions have the AWS band.

We've had this discussion on tmo, and they've had it on Wind, and it's somewhere on the Z10 forum as well:

So either of the Stl100-3's should get me taken care of then correct? I don't want to purchase a phone that doesn't take care of what I need it too.
    01-12-15 03:50 PM
    So either of the Stl100-3's should get me taken care of then correct? I don't want to purchase a phone that doesn't take care of what I need it too.
    From everything I have read, yes. But if you want peace of mind, post at the end of my thread (link below) where I was asking the same question on tmo. Just tell them you want to bring a Telus phone over to tmo and understand that it will be completely compatible. That would be model 100-3 RFF91LW, The guys over there like raino etc. are very knowledgeable. You'll get an answer right way.

01-12-15 06:28 PM

I just wanted to confirm this with first hand testimony. I have an unlocked Koodo (Telus) RFF91LW Z10 and have used Roam Mobility which exclusively uses T-Mobile towers for US travel roaming and have achieved full LTE through the T-Mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    fvshaggy likes this.
    01-12-15 10:28 PM
    I have done extensive research on this, and have first hand experience in saying this (see my other post I posted moments ago), but you are correct. I can confirm the RFF91LW can achieve full LTE on the T-Mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    fvshaggy likes this.
    01-12-15 10:31 PM
    I have done extensive research on this, and have first hand experience in saying this (see my other post I posted moments ago), but you are correct. I can confirm the RFF91LW can achieve full LTE on the T-Mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing like first hand experience. Thanks.

There are a bunch of theories as to why the specs listed on the 91LW are "off", such as carriers like at&t (who make it difficult to unlock a phone to begin with) trying to keep customers from straying, etc. Because there's no reason at& t etc. couldn't have used the 121LW.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    01-13-15 11:18 AM
    Telus will unlock it for $35.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 11:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thank you very much. Now I just have to find a trusted source to unlock.
    01-13-15 01:27 PM
    Telus will unlock it for $35.

Posted via CB10
    \

I live in California would they be able to send me an unlock code? Sorry not that familiar with Telus as cell phone provider.
    01-13-15 01:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    I also have first hand experience with this. Works like a charm, including BBM.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    01-13-15 01:59 PM
    \

I live in California would they be able to send me an unlock code? Sorry not that familiar with Telus as cell phone provider.
    Hey,

Do not quote me on this, as I am not 100% sure on this. The general line I have seen from most providers is that they will only provide you an unlock code for your phone if you are still on their network with an active phone plan. Judging by your statement that you are in California, I would highly assume the phone is no longer associated with a Telus plan?

If that is the case, you will need to go with a third party unlocker. I would still give Telus a call to see just to confirm all this in case I am wrong.

The unlock code itself is a 16 digit code (if I recall correctly?) that is simply entered in, and voila, it is unlocked. You will only need your IMEI number as well to achieve this.

Good luck on getting it unlocked.
    Last edited by Smitty13; 01-13-15 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    fvshaggy likes this.
    01-13-15 02:19 PM
    Thanks for the information.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    01-13-15 02:48 PM