Hello all,

Forgive me if there is a thread on this already, but I could not find one. For the past week or two I have had a somewhat frustrating typing issue on my Z10. I am unsure if this is software, hardware, or operator related, but here is the issue anyhow:

When typing a text message, I find that at random times it seems as though the 'A' button becomes "stuck" down; this is the only way to describe it really, as the problem can be replicated somewhat by pushing down and holding the 'A' key until the horizontal box pops up with the various 'A' letters with accents appears. I then cannot even select a random 'A' letter to hit and move on with my typing then correct it later; backspace will not work either in this situation. I have find (literally) just randomly typing away at other keys until something pops up will at least allow me to move on and continue typing with other letters.

In a normal situation when holding down the 'A' key to get the horizontal box to appear, one can simply slide their finger over to the desired accented 'A' and continue on, but I am unable to do this when this issue happens.

This problem is very sporadic. I find it hard to replicate it myself even. I have watched the keys as I type and cannot see how this occurs, as I am not pushing down overly hard on the 'A' key, or missing the 'A' key partially while typing. The only somewhat common link I find between points when this does occur is if I am typing words that use the letter 'A' frequently (e.g. And all again, etc.).

Anyone else experience this? If so, was there a fix for it? I am hoping to not have to do a wipe of anything, but I have updated the OS to the latest release and have done a soft device reset as well, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!
    06-27-13 09:34 AM
    Sure there will be several post about how this doesn't happen on someone else phone....but the only solution I see is to return your phone for something not Z10...Perhaps go back to OS7 until BlackBerry updates the OS to something decent.
    06-27-13 10:32 AM
    Hello all,

Forgive me if there is a thread on this already, but I could not find one. For the past week or two I have had a somewhat frustrating typing issue on my Z10. I am unsure if this is software, hardware, or operator related, but here is the issue anyhow:

When typing a text message, I find that at random times it seems as though the 'A' button becomes "stuck" down; this is the only way to describe it really, as the problem can be replicated somewhat by pushing down and holding the 'A' key until the horizontal box pops up with the various 'A' letters with accents appears. I then cannot even select a random 'A' letter to hit and move on with my typing then correct it later; backspace will not work either in this situation. I have find (literally) just randomly typing away at other keys until something pops up will at least allow me to move on and continue typing with other letters.

In a normal situation when holding down the 'A' key to get the horizontal box to appear, one can simply slide their finger over to the desired accented 'A' and continue on, but I am unable to do this when this issue happens.

This problem is very sporadic. I find it hard to replicate it myself even. I have watched the keys as I type and cannot see how this occurs, as I am not pushing down overly hard on the 'A' key, or missing the 'A' key partially while typing. The only somewhat common link I find between points when this does occur is if I am typing words that use the letter 'A' frequently (e.g. And all again, etc.).

Anyone else experience this? If so, was there a fix for it? I am hoping to not have to do a wipe of anything, but I have updated the OS to the latest release and have done a soft device reset as well, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!
    I've had my Z10 since 1st February and have had no issues whatsoever. Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.1720. This type of thing can sometimes be caused by dirt on the screen. I recommend giving it a wipe with screen cleaner. If you're unsuccessful, it should be replaced for free by your carrier. If you generally like the phone, I'd stick with the Z if i were you as in terms of handset problems, the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence. My daughter has had 3 sgs3's due to faulty micro usb ports and the home button stopped working. If you'd prefer a different os, i recommend the HTC one. I've had issues in the past with nearly all my handsets but my carrier has a no quibble exchange policy thank God.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 10:44 AM
    Sure there will be several post about how this doesn't happen on someone else phone....but the only solution I see is to return your phone for something not Z10...Perhaps go back to OS7 until BlackBerry updates the OS to something decent.
    Hmmm, while I have seen people many times over post "this doesn't happen on my phone, so it must not be true", I was hoping not to get into that here or insinuate that that is what will happen here.

Outside of a few issues, I quite enjoy the Z10 and the BB10 OS. Now, before this starts into some type of flame war, I think I will just stick to the issue at hand.

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?
    bigjsmashman likes this.
    06-27-13 10:46 AM
    Hmmm, while I have seen people many times over post "this doesn't happen on my phone, so it must not be true", I was hoping not to get into that here or insinuate that that is what will happen here.

Outside of a few issues, I quite enjoy the Z10 and the BB10 OS. Now, before this starts into some type of flame war, I think I will just stick to the issue at hand.

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?
    I swear this form us full of people who can't read...
    06-27-13 11:00 AM
    I've had my Z10 since 1st February and have had no issues whatsoever. Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.1720. This type of thing can sometimes be caused by dirt on the screen. I recommend giving it a wipe with screen cleaner. If you're unsuccessful, it should be replaced for free by your carrier. If you generally like the phone, I'd stick with the Z if i were you as in terms of handset problems, the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence. My daughter has had 3 sgs3's due to faulty micro usb ports and the home button stopped working. If you'd prefer a different os, i recommend the HTC one. I've had issues in the past with nearly all my handsets but my carrier has a no quibble exchange policy thank God.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the reply. One thing you brought up that I was having suspicions about was dirt on the screen, or rather, the screen protector I have on it. I inspected it closely and did not see it bubbling up or look damaged in that area, but then again, these touch screens are sensitive and perhaps there is a very micro-area that is touching the 'A' button after I press it, even lightly?

I have other screen protectors I will give a shot and see if that helps.
    06-27-13 11:03 AM
    I had the initial problem happen to me when I first got my phone. I had upgraded from the BlackBerry 9900. My daughter, who has Android touchscreens said that it probably happened due to fast typing. My friend with an iPhone who had moved from a BlackBerry said she encountered the same problem too on her iPhone when she typed too fast. Try slowing down a little and see if it improves. I have and no problems since. Hope this helps. And I don't use a screen saver.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    06-27-13 11:58 AM
    Try re-booting the Z10. Also clean the screen. If this does not work take the phone for warranty service. Make sure they get the message about the fault across to the service people. Sometimes the phones are sent and the service person has to determine the fault. If it is intermittent and it did not happen for them they may send the phone back saying there are no faults.
    06-27-13 01:28 PM
    Thanks for the reply, guys! I have noticed typing slower does help mitigate the problem, but being a fast typist usually, it is a slight let down that I will have to slow down to spare myself this problem. It is however comforting to know that this is a cross-platform issue and not just limited to my Z10.

I will cleaning my phone and applying a new screen protector tonight, so, fingers crossed it works!
    06-27-13 02:43 PM