Hello folks;

This is my first post I think ... not sure I usually roam and seldom ever post. But I have had this issue for about 3 weeks now where the phone just shuts off and reboots for what appears to be no reason. I said appears because I use my phone in a very utilitarian fashion ... meaning when I place it on the table I don't do it as gently as others who love to coddle phones and layer them in armor of the plastic variety. This although in no way means I am reckless as I have never dropped a phone nor have I broken or damaged a phone ... all my phones have been in pristine condition from cradle to grave I suppose.

Now to the point, I noticed my phone turns off and restarts some times when I lay it flat on a table. If there is a slight force as the phone makes contact with the table especially more so when it goes from top edge or from bottom right corner ... a restart is triggered. I first noticed this behavior about 3 weeks ago, but I sense it has been happening for quite some time and I was just not aware of it. I thought it might be the battery at first but I doubt it as the battery is snug and the back case is not loose, I guess one way to really rule it out is to use duct tape. I also believed it may have been a feature at first sort of like the laptop g-shock sensors that protect the HDD's, but common sense revealed the absurdity of that train of thought. I believe some sensor is tripping the OS to fault ... maybe causing an interrupt of some sort that accesses system memory in an illegal manner. I'm not quite sure to be honest and it is just a shot in the dark to tell the truth, but something is definitely up with a phone that has the compunction to restart itself whenever I place it on the table.

I urge others to check this out and let the community know; has it happened to you? Can you reproduce it?

It just might be a one off where my phone is defective and this issue is localized to me, what are others take on this?
    07-30-13 02:11 PM
    It's an issue scroll throughout the forums

-I'm A Gay Dev. Deal With It.
    07-30-13 02:29 PM
    Hey welcome to CB!

I haven't had any random rebooting issue, nor could I replicate what you described. What OS are you currently running? Most rebooting issues were software related and updating would be the best solution. (get the 10.1 MR or something along those lines. I've had .273 , .4181 and now on .4687 (leak) with no issues on any version)

Also, update your profile, carrier info etc, This will help users to better assist you.
    07-30-13 02:33 PM
    It's a well known software issue where the Z10 randomly reboots. Upgrade your operating system and not only will it stop, you'll enjoy the latest features and enhancements.

Posted via Zeppelin!
    07-30-13 02:47 PM
    Thanks to all for the quick chime;

I did a cursory search but most were non-descriptive in terms of outlining a possible and reproducible method of getting the phone to restart. I have done a more in depth search and have found 1 other explaining the issue as I described it. My phone does not reboot during "normal usage" as the BB KB illustrates:

KB34039-BlackBerry Z10 smartphone reboots randomly during normal usage

My phone reboots when I place it on the table by casually dropping it from like 1/2 - 2 cm's off the desk [which is not a large distance]. The other post on this very forum is found at:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-again-832385/

The gentleman by the screen name of "brout" has the same problem.

Lastly I would like to say that I am using version 273 which is old I guess ... but my carrier hasn't made a new version available as of yet. In my old days I jumped from alphas to betas to leaks ... I don't have the time to micromanage what OS version I'm running ... I just expect it to work and not randomly reboot. I guess my carrier is to blame if BB is recommending an update that fixes such a problem which my carrier has not made available.

Anyways I will report back if this issue persists whenever that update is made available by my carrier; and thanks again guys.
    07-30-13 05:35 PM
    Hi
    You will soon be getting (hopefully within the next few days) an update notification on your phone from your current carrier. This is the 10.1 maintenance release of the software that will resolve software related reboots. Download and wait for this install to finish. It can take up to an hour after download is finished to get to the active screen. Be patient and don't pull your battery or attempt restart. Once done, and the peculiar behavior persists, it may be hardware related. That will bring your supplier into the equation (repair/replace). Hope this helps.
    07-30-13 05:51 PM
    First, let me apologize for mostly wasted posts to your cited issue. You were clear in stating that this was a g-force or shock related issue. (Obviously the Z has a big history of restarts....but I recall only one other post/thread on shock related reboots (vs hundreds on reboots generally). [If people would only read....]

Second, there are a couple new BB10 revs (and a main. patch) being released this summer but I doubt that this will address your issue. (If it does it will be coincidental as ur problem has not been a loggable error/malfunction.) More likely this is a minor mfr error where your phone is slightly more vulnerable to drops but I venture your phone is still within the Z design tolerances. Frankly, I think that these early Z returns are 9/10s psychological ("feel good" and rarely correct the problems for which returned) but u might have some luck in getting a slightly more sturdy phone for "dropping." BTW, I might be a little less descriptive with the carrier in describing your problem that U believe warrants an exchange.

[Note: Phones obviously have no moving parts today other than what should be only micro-slippage, at best, if there's a removable battery.]

Regardless, an interesting (sub-) issue but, obviously, you might avoid creating any more shock than a phone already receives. But, if dropping is a hard-wired alpha gene for U, please tell me that you have a case!? Dropping a phone an average of almost an inch (sometimes 2-3"!?) to a hard surface---especially when on occasion presumptively super hot or cold--is going to loosen "something" w/o a good case....but I guess we dont really need to write this!

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 07:17 PM
    Unfortunately, my Q10 has done this twice in 24 hours. Last time, I did a battery pull. When it booted, my completely charged battery showed as empty! A reset with the volume keys fixed it. My battery is very snug so not sure why this is happening.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 01:18 PM
    OK, do NOT do a battery pull while the phone is on. Unless it is your absolute last resort. If you're experiencing restart when you lay the battery on the table/desk I would still suspect the battery. If you have not, just shim with a bit of business card whatever. Just to know for sure. I was getting blue screens followed by a restart (I'm on the latest 10.1 MR t-mo) and I removed four apps I was not using and it stopped happening.
    10-12-13 01:38 PM
    OK, do NOT do a battery pull while the phone is on. Unless it is your absolute last resort. If you're experiencing restart when you lay the battery on the table/desk I would still suspect the battery. If you have not, just shim with a bit of business card whatever. Just to know for sure. I was getting blue screens followed by a restart (I'm on the latest 10.1 MR t-mo) and I removed four apps I was not using and it stopped happening.
    Yeah, I was thinking it could be an app. I have a ton so not sure where to begin. I used to have this problem a lot with legacy devices which tended to have loose battery fits. I will keep an eye on it.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 01:44 PM
    Hello folks;

This is my first post I think ... not sure I usually roam and seldom ever post. But I have had this issue for about 3 weeks now where the phone just shuts off and reboots for what appears to be no reason.
    Does the battery overheat? Try pulling the battery and waiting 30 minutes before inserting the battery. Perform a full discharge (0% per the battery meter) and charge it fully before use. Then discharge the battery and charge the battery a few times. I had the same thing happen to me during the summer.
    10-12-13 03:32 PM
    Does the battery overheat? Try pulling the battery and waiting 30 minutes before inserting the battery. Perform a full discharge (0% per the battery meter) and charge it fully before use. Then discharge the battery and charge the battery a few times. I had the same thing happen to me during the summer.
    The new batteries don't need to be conditioned.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 04:15 PM
    Update to leaked 10.2

Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1767
    10-12-13 04:45 PM
    my phone used also do that it will just restart its self but last week it restarted itself and couldnt turn back on,i took to my mobile network providers,who flashed and put the new software bt after that it hasnt been the same,dont have my picture and music icon and if i log into any social network it will turn its self off and only come on after putting it on the charger....am definately going samsung
    01-21-14 01:37 PM