There are many threads discussing this and the solution to the question being provided is to hold down the top button and press the lock icon. This IMHO isn't good enough. Why can't the top button on the Z10 (and Bold 9900 for that matter) password lock the phone like the Bold 9700 did? Not to mention all of the Z10's "less secure" competitors that do also.

Excerpt from the user manual below (Lock your screen - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0) for the initial software version of the Z10 noted and option to "Lock Device after Screen Lock" in the Device Password screen. For some reason this option has been removed.

Does anyone know why this option was removed and if it's likely to be reintroduced in an update in the very near future?

Harry.
    Z10 Top Button Password Lock Frustration-unlock.jpg
    04-07-13 01:22 AM
    Whats wrong with setting it to Lock device after 1 minute?
    Surely within one minute, there is minimal chance that you drop and lose your phone and someone immediately picks it up to try and unlock it. Those chances are pretty slim.

If you really want to lock the device immediately, then you'll have to ask BlackBerry directly.
    04-07-13 01:29 AM
    I see you've attempted to guess the motivation for the question. I think you've missed the point.

What if I don't want it to lock after one minute? What if I want it to lock when I press the button on the top as stated? I don't necessarily want the phone locking after a short period, what I do want to do however is lock the phone immediately when I want it locked by the press of one button. Pity there's no convenience key, that's what saved the 9900 from failing in this area.

Thanks for the response, bit fanboi but thanks anyway. I'll take it up with BB.
    04-07-13 05:56 PM
    I see you've attempted to guess the motivation for the question. I think you've missed the point.

What if I don't want it to lock after one minute? What if I want it to lock when I press the button on the top as stated? I don't necessarily want the phone locking after a short period, what I do want to do however is lock the phone immediately when I want it locked by the press of one button. Pity there's no convenience key, that's what saved the 9900 from failing in this area.

Thanks for the response, bit fanboi but thanks anyway. I'll take it up with BB.
    lol, my fanboi response would be, "The Z10 is the best. If you don't like it, go get an iPhone".

I still don't see how "Immediately" and after 1 minute makes much of a difference.
    I agree the lack of a convenience key is inconvenient. I use to love that button.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 07:45 PM
    But that would mean that when you want to leave the phone without a password, you have to just wait for the screen to time out (since the top button locks it right away), which would consume excess battery. Anyways, even though I don't quite understand your workflow, BB should make it an option. On Android, there was a checkbox in settings "Lock button locks phone" or something like that, and it would do exactly what you're asking. I'd tweet Michael Clewley to see what he says.
    Harry Person likes this.
    04-07-13 07:53 PM
    I like the flexibility of the current design. If I want to truly password lock my phone, it is an easy two step process that takes 2-3 seconds. However, if I want to leave it unlocked, but just turn it off, a single button press and I'm able to slip it into my pocket without worries of randomly dialing someone.
    04-07-13 07:59 PM
    I agree with the OP that he should have the choice to do so if he likes to too. I personally like that it doesn't lock immediately, I have mine set to 10 mins, too many times I pick up the phone to do something real quick and I am glad that I don't have to unlock the phone everytime.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:31 PM
    I agree with the OP that he should have the choice to do so if he likes to too. I personally like that it doesn't lock immediately, I have mine set to 10 mins, too many times I pick up the phone to do something real quick and I am glad that I don't have to unlock the phone everytime.
    Exactly, this is how I feel as well. I would hate to have the lock button reactivate the password immediately, as I have my password set to come on every 10 minutes, and I use the lock button just to turn off the screen when I don't need it. However, I definitely think that there should be an option to have the lock button lock the screen, like OP wants to do.
    Harry Person likes this.
    04-07-13 08:33 PM
    My frustration was that my screen locked after 5 minutes and I was constantly having to reenter the six digit code to unlock it. Spent more time unlocking my screen, than using my phone. Thought is was an issue with BB, then with AT&T, even thought I had gotten a phone made for a corporate contract. Local Cellular World guy quickly figured it out. I got my email through Outlook and whenever I loaded it for email, along came a requirement for a password after 5 minutes. In fact, Z10would not let me turn off my password - it said "IT policy requires a password." Well, that is Outlook's IT policy. When I deleted Outlook, the option to turn the password off was available again and my screen no longer locks. Yahoo! (I'll figure out another email option.)
    04-07-13 10:02 PM
    Thanks, that's all I'm asking for, it doesn't affect the not wanting to lock the phone users and by looking at the manual it appears that it was to be an option originally. I just want my phone to lock immediately and then put it in my pocket and not worry about it any longer and not pull it out of my pocket 5 minutes later to find it surfing the Internet as I did today. I didn't think that would be a problem with the swiping to screen unlock but there you go.
    YYZ_AKS likes this.
    04-09-13 12:33 AM
    [QUOTE=Andrew4life;8278554]lol, my fanboi response would be, "The Z10 is the best. If you don't like it, go get an iPhone".

Hence me saying "bit" fanboi.
    Last edited by Harry Person; 04-09-13 at 12:54 AM.
    04-09-13 12:39 AM
    Having the device locked is NOT always a good thing. The other day, while locked, when I unlocked the screen, I found the device on it's 7th attempt to unlock...and it must have happened by being locked but somehow not having the screen locked, while in my pocket. 3 more "pocket unlocks" and it would have wiped my phone...nasty.
    04-09-13 12:48 AM
    Don't you have type "blackberry" as well to get it to wipe?
    04-09-13 12:50 AM
    [QUOTE=Harry Person;8285270]
    lol, my fanboi response would be, "The Z10 is the best. If you don't like it, go get an iPhone".

Hence me saying "bit" fanboi. Your original reply conveyed to me that your thinking is "well the Z10 is like that and I can't see a reason for your request so go away".

Please **** out, you're not helping or providing a useful contribution.
    You need to take a chill pill dude...or don't ask the question. The poster wasn't rude, but you certainly are.
    04-09-13 12:50 AM
    Sorry, tried to edit that out after chill pill taken but browser was misbehaving. Have done so now.
    04-09-13 12:52 AM