Telus showing at two to three week wait on ordering the Z10 direct from their website. Seems to show there is limited availability of the Z10. Sales seem to be brisk I would say. As well, last night at a social get together, a technophobe was talking about the Z10. At least advertising seems to be making an impact as even non tech people seem to be getting the message about BB. Gotta be viewed as positive!!! Link below.

BlackBerry� Z10*|* Smartphones*|* Phones & devices*|* TELUS Mobility

Excerpted from the above website see bottom line for mention of availability:

† A new TELUS SIM is required when purchasing a device online with a 2 or 3 year term. If you are purchasing a device with no term, you may use your own TELUS SIM by removing the new SIM in your cart.

Note: Order fulfillment is based on product availability. The price indicates total after term contract credit. For new activations only. Product price subject to change without notice.

Notice of Credit Check
    TELUS Mobility will obtain your credit information report from a customer reporting agency to activate your wireless device on the TELUS Mobility network.

‡‡ Available until February 28, 2013, on a 3-year term with any rate plan or rate plan plus add-on(s) totaling $50 or more per month.

TELUS prepaid clients with a SIM card must purchase a data add-on to enable data such as MMS, web browsing, email or downloads such as ringtones, games and images at this time.

� 2013 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. BlackBerry�, RIM�, Research In Motion� and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.

New
    Select your term price

3 year term $139 ‡‡
    with a $50 monthly spend before tax
    Starting Device Balance: $511

Select your colour

Black
    White
    Price of SIM will be added to cart†
    Buy now

Limited stock available, please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
    02-10-13 04:36 PM
  2. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    I have a funny story about my Z10 and Telus.

I will try to make this brief, but it is a long story.

I called Telus and told the lady, "I would like to set up a month to month account for the future outright purchase of a new Z10"

Telus: No problem, we will send you a sim, and then you just give us a call to activate it. Once it is active you just plug it into your new phone and you are good to go!

Me: Thanks

I received my sim promptly, and called again to set it up.

Telus: It will be no problem to activate your Sim for a month to month account for the future outright purchase of a new Z10"

Telus: Would you like me to check the stock of the closest Telus store for you?

Telus: Yes Sir, you can go right to the store and purchase your new Z10 outright now, you are going to love it.

So, activated sim in hand i drive five minutes down the road to the Telus Store.

Telus: How may we help you?

Me: I would like to purchase the new Z10

Telus: No problem, here it is!

Me: Thanks!!!!

Telus: So you will be going on a 3 year contract?

Me: No, I have a sim with a month to month plan and i will be purchasing the Z10 outright.

Telus: Sorry Sir you have to sign a 3 year contract for this high demand phone, we might sell them outright in the future but it is impossible to sell you this phone without a 3 year . contract.

Me:You had better call somebody to help you do your job, because you are obviously new here.

Telus: I will get someone on the phone for you to talk to.

Me: NO, you will get someone on the phone for you to talk to because you are selling me this phone Right @#$% NOW!!!

Telus: (while on the phone) I'm holding for a rep, but This is a high demand phone so we can't just sell it to you, we must insist you sign a 3 year contract.

Me: I don't give a **** how you try to screw people over by taking advantage of the release of a hot new product.

Telus: If you don't calm down I will have to ask you to leave the store.

Me: If you don't sell me this phone you are going to have to call security.

So, after a brief chat with whoever at Telus.

Telus: (On the verge of tears) I can sell you the phone.

So long story short, Screw Telus or any other provider, and screw their contracts, I will unlock this phone and use it with ANY provider I choose.
    02-10-13 08:07 PM
    I don't understand the thought process behind some untrained reps with this "must sign contract" stuff. They make their money when they sell you the phone outright. If they want customers they best serve them instead of coming up with weird sales men tactics that are not company policy for any provider that I know of.
    02-10-13 08:12 PM
    Telus let me do a prepaid line...

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 08:14 PM
  5. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    It was actually a company wide memo sent by Telus to all their CSR's on the day of the release of the phone. It instructed all sales staff to only offer the Z10 on a 3 year contract. She was only able to sell me the phone once a manager reviewed my previous phone calls and confirmed i was told I could buy the phone.
    02-10-13 08:18 PM
  6. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    Telus let me do a prepaid line...

Did they send the phone in the mail or did you get it in store?
    02-10-13 08:19 PM
    It was actually a company wide memo sent by Telus to all their CSR's on the day of the release of the phone. It instructed all sales staff to only offer the Z10 on a 3 year contract. She was only able to sell me the phone once a manager reviewed my previous phone calls and confirmed i was told I could buy the phone.
    This is true. Every CSR got a email saying that the phone MUST be sold on a contact.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-10-13 08:21 PM
    ...and Telus is entitled to do that, if they really want to. It's a high-demand product, and they want to take advantage of that.

I'm glad I'm not their customer, and I'm glad I'll be (hopefully) getting a Dev Alpha trade-up, but, yes, that's business. I have a sneaky feeling that no customer is going to get a phone rep to agree to an outright sale anymore. I'm sure THAT e-mail went out within hours.
    02-10-13 08:26 PM
    ...and Telus is entitled to do that, if they really want to. It's a high-demand product, and they want to take advantage of that.

I'm glad I'm not their customer, and I'm glad I'll be (hopefully) getting a Dev Alpha trade-up, but, yes, that's business. I have a sneaky feeling that no customer is going to get a phone rep to agree to an outright sale anymore. I'm sure THAT e-mail went out within hours.
    There are some customers that did get it outright BUT they are the ones that know the reps / family & friends. Other then that its safe to say no one got it outright.
    02-10-13 08:35 PM
    I don't buy it... Why would Telus do that? They won't be making any more money. You are assuming people won't pay the ETF to get out of the contract. 3 years is waaaayyy to long...
    02-10-13 08:45 PM
    I don't buy it... Why would Telus do that? They won't be making any more money. You are assuming people won't pay the ETF to get out of the contract. 3 years is waaaayyy to long...
    Actually all the carriers in Canada have done that. Rogers, Bell & Telus & Same goes for Fido. Barely anyone was able to get it outright from all of them. The reps are told from Head office via email to do it on a 3 year term.

Think of it this way. If someone buys it outright, they can use it on another carrier. The carrier you buy it outright wants you to stay with them. So this way they force you to get a 3 year term to get the phone. This is why when any phone is released, Rogers stores barely sell them outright. It takes a few days / week for them to do it unless you are lucky & the rep does it for you.
    02-10-13 08:48 PM
    Having worked at one of the big three providers here in Canada before my current occupation, I can tell you that they all make almost nothing selling the phone outright. In some cases, we are talking less than 5%. Knowing this, it's pretty obvious to see why they want to hook you into a contract. When something is popular, they don't want you to buy one from them and take it to Rogers and use it unlocked just because Rogers is sold out. Unfortunately big business couldn't support that kind of model... well no business could really.
    02-10-13 08:56 PM
    I got mine outright, but only after the rep confirmed with her supervisor. it didn't matter to me cuz I would of just went somewhere else and spent my money there. I'm trying to give you my money but you don't want it? what's the deal man.
    02-10-13 09:00 PM
    I got mine outright, but only after the rep confirmed with her supervisor. it didn't matter to me cuz I would of just went somewhere else and spent my money there. I'm trying to give you my money but you don't want it? what's the deal man.
    Companies do not see it that way tho. The big 3 try to make EVERYONE get on a contract & make you stuck with them. That is how they see it.
    02-10-13 09:02 PM
    Weird USA side I have never encountered that.
    02-10-13 09:05 PM
    Weird USA side I have never encountered that.
    USA & Canada are 2 different countries with different carriers & different rules / policies. This is why.
    02-10-13 09:07 PM
    Same principal that I mentioned above. If they know that the devices are going to sell, and that they can make 5% and that's it by selling it outright to you, or make a higher margin, hit their targets and keep their bosses happy by selling it to the next person that walks in and buys it on a contract, they're going to do the latter.

You're right, you have money to spend, but unfortunately you don't want to spend it the way they want you to. Is it right? Depends on what side of the business you are on. I've been in sales all my life and the mentality of the store in these cases makes perfect sense to me, but it's easy to see how anyone could think the other way.
    02-10-13 09:07 PM
    No I agree Canada is different... But if you are talking about how awesome a business decision this is to force hot phones through contracts, why doesn't the US follow suit? Is it because our FCC won't allow for it? I am just curious.
    02-10-13 09:12 PM
    Telus new mission statement "You can ask us, but you can't Telus".....
    Same thing happened to me. Has nothing to do with BlackBerry this is Telus's trying to get as much money from new activations and having blackberry pay them for all the credits on the back end...total slime ball carrier...

twstd.reality likes this.
    02-10-13 09:13 PM
    No I agree Canada is different... But if you are talking about how awesome a business decision this is to force hot phones through contracts, why doesn't the US follow suit? Is it because our FCC won't allow for it? I am just curious.
    It could that the FCC in the states do not allow it. Also remember here with have the CRTC which is useless. They do not seem to care what carriers do as long as they do not break the CRTC rules.
    02-10-13 09:13 PM
    Telus new mission statement "You can ask us, but you can't Telus".....
    Same thing happened to me. Has nothing to do with BlackBerry this is Telus's trying to get as much money from new activations and having blackberry pay them for all the credits on the back end...total slime ball carrier...
    Who said it had anything to with BlackBerry?

What you just described is how most major carriers make money. Does that make them slime balls?
    They are neither a co-op nor communists; they are a corporation that intends to generate revenue.

I'm sure my reply will upset you, but I just don't understand what your point is.
    meganVee likes this.
    02-10-13 09:43 PM

Hey, forgot to get in touch with you first... Were you at the Jan 30th Vancouver dev event? I went. Meant to PM you ahead of time, but work's been crazy and just plain forgot.
    02-10-13 09:44 PM
    Same principal that I mentioned above. If they know that the devices are going to sell, and that they can make 5% and that's it by selling it outright to you, or make a higher margin, hit their targets and keep their bosses happy by selling it to the next person that walks in and buys it on a contract, they're going to do the latter.

You're right, you have money to spend, but unfortunately you don't want to spend it the way they want you to. Is it right? Depends on what side of the business you are on. I've been in sales all my life and the mentality of the store in these cases makes perfect sense to me, but it's easy to see how anyone could think the other way.
    yah that makes sense for people currently not on contract and are month to month, or with another carrier. but me, I'm already with them, they've already got me on contract for another 2 years, and I've been a loyal customer for more than 10. for me, I have no other option but to buy off contract, or wait 2 years. if they didn't let me buy it outright I would of cancelled right there and walked. (I'm with fido btw)
    02-10-13 09:45 PM
    It could be that the people work in the local store paid based on the commission, which is much higher when they sell a phone with 3 year contract that just selling a device outright.
    Because the phone is in such high demand, the guy in the local store believe that the phones could be sold with 3 year contract without difficulty and make himself a few more bucks.
    02-10-13 10:32 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    simple supply vs demand .... right now .. very excessive demand for BB Z10!! .. not just here in Canada ... but UK .. and now UAE (Dubai) with their launch today... Blackberry probably can't crank them and ship them out fast enough! ....
    02-10-13 10:36 PM
35 12