Anyone have any issues with their Z10 not charging?

On several occasions, I've plugged my Z10 in (using the supplied cube charger) or using the BlackBerry Rapid Charger just before going to bed, only to be woken up by the yellow flashing light indicating that the device battery is at critical level (at times down to 10% and radio's off) by morning. I know for a fact that when I plugged it in, the flashing bolt was present over the battery icon. It seems to just stop charging over night.

At other times, I've plugged the device in to charge and have not seen the bolt icon over the battery. To get it to charge, I've had to restart the device and then plug it in again. Also, at times, if I've restarted the device while plugged into the charger - the device stays at a black screen. As soon as I disconnect the device - it continues to boot normally

This is my second device (replacement) as the first one had a bad HDMI port. This replacement's HDMI port is great - but the same issues occurred with my first device.

Anyone else have any weird issues like this?

Z10 on Bell LTE
    02-15-13 08:32 AM
    I've observed similar issues a couple of times, but unfortunately not when I was in a position to investigate. It's possible it's a connection problem, but I think also quite possible it's just a software issue that can be resolved in a future update. We need more data...
    02-15-13 08:43 AM
    I would suggest trying a different charger but you already did that lol I know I tried charging it one night with the supplied cube and cable and it did not charge. The cable connection was very tight, uncomfortable tight, it felt like it was going in the wrong way and had to be forced in, but it wasn't the wrong way, just very very very tight. Needless to say that was the last time I used that charger lol since then I have been charging it with my PlayBook charger and it works like a charm! I will still wait a second or two to verify that it is charging before I put it down and walk away from it, but its always charged when connected to the PB charger. I have even used a Microsoft charger at the office and it chargers fine. Each car has a BB car charger and it works great as well.

Seems like you may have either a faulty USB connection or a faulty battery. Try going back to the store and asking for a new battery first. May be easier to swap batteries then to swap phones. If that doesn't work, then ask for a new phone.
    02-15-13 08:48 AM
    Happens with my BlackBerry Charger/ battery bundle.
    02-15-13 08:53 AM
    I've had the same issue two nights in a row; it's plugged in, the screen says "Connected to Computer" or some such, however, it doesn't charge. I have a separate adapter, which has a USB connection on it that I ended up using this morning and it worked fine. So I'm not sure if it's a defect in the blackberry provided cube.
    02-15-13 08:55 AM
    I've had this happen twice.

I've also had it shut off while charging (2 nights ago... stopped charging when it hit 100% at around 2-3am... hence my 19 hours of battery life that day in a 14 hour span, some idiotic members disagree with reality though...)

I'm SUPER careful when I plug it in at night and make sure BX Battery monitor says "Charging" when I go to bed (anyone notice they misspelled discharging in the app? lol)

I HAVE noticed in BX that I have plugged the cable in (supplied or my 9700 cable) and BX says "NOT charging"... what a strange thing to say?

-Chris-
    alan510 likes this.
    02-15-13 08:57 AM
    The USB charging cable comes with the phone is sometimes tricky to use, I have to plug in and try several times to make it work. Giving the connection port a little waggle also solves the problem. Always double check if it's charging or not. All my other USB charging cables charge instantly when plugged in, including those come from PlayBook and other brands.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 09:06 AM
    I've had the same issue two nights in a row; it's plugged in, the screen says "Connected to Computer" or some such, however, it doesn't charge. I have a separate adapter, which has a USB connection on it that I ended up using this morning and it worked fine. So I'm not sure if it's a defect in the blackberry provided cube.
    Not sure why, but I've noticed that for some time now, my PlayBook, 9900 and Z10 will not charge when connected to a computer. The PlayBook actually displays a message that says "Cannot charge via the connected method" or something to that extent when I plug it into my computer. Not sure if its a Windows 8 thing as I upgraded in November, or if it was happening before that.
    02-15-13 09:24 AM
    Haven't seen this issue yet. But I do turn my phone off at night when I charge it (not sure if that makes a difference in this case).
    02-15-13 09:26 AM
    Haven't seen this issue yet. But I do turn my phone off at night when I charge it (not sure if that makes a difference in this case).
    One of the times this happened to me was a night I turned the phone off.

Turned it off at 12am, set it to charge light was blinking... went to bed... woke up, full green light, turned phone on - phone at 92%.

-Chris-
    02-15-13 09:34 AM
    This is interesting, my cube charger will not even work, I can use it on my playbook and it works perfectly but when i plug it into my Z10 nothing happens. If I use my regular playbook charger on my Z10 it works like a charm.
    02-15-13 09:51 AM
    I'm starting to get a sense that Blackberry is going to have to either send out all new cables to people or do an exchange at the carriers or something.

Too many people are reporting issues with the supplied cable and charger. Far too many.

-Chris-
    02-15-13 09:57 AM
    I'm going to contact BlackBerry Customer service to see if they can do anything about the supplied cable and cube not working. I know when I contacted them regarding my PlayBook they were very helpful in getting the issue resolved

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 10:04 AM
    try charging with the PlayBook charger, it seems to works when the cube doesn't.
    02-16-13 06:33 AM