If the hardware is engineered to run the device speedily enough for two years -- or whatever, then it is fine. People will upgrade anyway. The important thing is that it appears no stupid decisions were made feature-wise. As in leaving auto focus off the camera.
    fernandez21 likes this.
    12-22-12 02:08 PM
    Seems like no one paid attention to the guy who said "leaked pictures show that it will not have 1gb of ram but 2gb"....
    Gla1ze likes this.
    12-22-12 02:19 PM
    Seems like no one paid attention to the guy who said "leaked pictures show that it will not have 1gb of ram but 2gb"....
    That still might not be enough for a few.. "It should at least have 4GB. The next Sony phone is going to have 3GB"
    Gla1ze and SirJes like this.
    12-22-12 02:30 PM
    The Aristo will be good for you if you want a top of the spec device.
    That might not even work for some people! By the time that comes out there will be a lot more choices for someone who likes to brag about the Aristo being old news. Even the best phone today, is nothing in a few months. It works like that for all phones on all platforms. I'm glad I am not one of those people that are that particular over specs of a phone. If it does what I want, runs smoothly without hiccups, and gets what I need to do done, who cares if the latest droid or anything else for that matter loads a page 2 seconds faster then my current phone
    lboogie_1971_ and Jake Storm like this.
    12-22-12 02:52 PM
    enough said about this already
    12-22-12 03:13 PM
    What if RIM is playing a shell game and the leaked phones we're seeing are the developer special edition phones? What if the Aristo is the phone the public will get? Whatever the case RIM can't go head to head with Samsung in a spec war, so they must optimize everything.
    As has been said both Apple and now Microsoft have optimized their OS'es to the benefit of the end users and themselves. If. RIM can do this with their software which is considered dated then they will win over some customers and make everyone take a long hard look at their phones and say, "Why did I pay so much money for this and BlackBerry can do the same and better with less?"
    I believe RIM and Company know what they're up against and will do everything they can to ensure that come launch time everything will be right.

I say let's not get crazy over specs/ prices/phones before January 30th, let's wait and see what RIM has to offer and be thoroughly amazed.
    12-22-12 03:21 PM
    Yea the PB was beating specs all over the place until it hit the real world. At which point it started getting beat. Coming from the computer tech world I can assure you specs DO matter. If I didn't buy the nexus I would not have had a phone... kinda a mute point. What I wanted from a new BB10 device, was better hardware(than whats out) w/ software optimized for the better hardware. I would gladly have paid upwards of $800. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I respect all of your points. But when anything new is released at top dollar, it usually includes better hardware. I guess its an attitude I picked up working in the computer field.

Oh and BTW, the galaxy nexus is LTE.
    Specs only matter to android users because it's essentilly the same android OS across many different pieces of hardware.

You don't hear android users say to each other that their OS is better then each others.
    12-22-12 03:21 PM

I say let's not get crazy over specs/ prices/phones before January 30th, let's wait and see what RIM has to offer and be thoroughly amazed.
    Best plan I've heard.
    Gla1ze likes this.
    12-22-12 04:09 PM
    You could of course wait and actually find out what they are going to charge for the new BB10 device. And then make up your mind. Too much? Move on. Good price? Buy one. Or two. Simples.
    Gla1ze likes this.
    12-22-12 04:10 PM
    I'm buying one regardless of the price. That isn't even an option for me. It's more of a given
    12-22-12 06:39 PM
    Here in Australia they've always priced the flagship phones at the same price as the iPhone. That's one of the reason's it doesn't sell well here.

Let's hope that doesn't continue.
    12-22-12 06:45 PM
    Of course this now leads us onto the more important question for RIM. Do they set the retail price, or do the carriers??
    12-22-12 06:46 PM
    Is BB still popular in Australia? Always wondered about that
    12-22-12 06:58 PM
    Under powered? I beg to differ chap. Just for fun I opened up 30 google.com browser windows, it started get slower at 30 but I still had mem on the PB, hardly under powered.
    The PB is prime example of an under power unit with a nice UI. Lets not get into its sales figures.... If your still wondering why no store stocks BB, its because the current phone line up is over priced. Thats RIM's fault not the stores. RIM could make a killing selling direct online and in electronics stores if the price point is right. When you have a company that's not doing so hot right now, the point is to get your phone into as many hands as possible. Consumers want unlocked/unbranded phones. TMO is planning to drop all subsidized phone prices and plans, a move I fully back. How well do you think computers would sell is they were locked into only one internet provider. "Enjoy your new DELL/Comcast internet computer" LOL
    12-22-12 07:09 PM
    Personally I've never had performance issues with my PlayBook either, I have ran up to eight apps at a time (including multiple tabs in the browser) without feeling any significant decrease in performance. I have heard some others complain about memory usage before however.
    12-22-12 07:16 PM
    As a consumer, of course we want the best hardware and the best software experience. The mentality of people only wants what I offer not others was the real reason for RIM falling behind in smart phone technology. Yes touch screen was only for kids; yes, virtual keyboard was a joke against physical keyboard; yes, people wouldn't consider a device less secure; yes, the other device don't even have a full days of battery life... Remember those arguments?
    Saiga and Roo Zilla like this.
    12-22-12 07:29 PM
    Under powered? I beg to differ chap. Just for fun I opened up 30 google.com browser windows, it started get slower at 30 but I still had mem on the PB, hardly under powered.
    Personally I've never had performance issues with my PlayBook either, I have ran up to eight apps at a time (including multiple tabs in the browser) without feeling any significant decrease in performance. I have heard some others complain about memory usage before however.
    Out of curiosity, when did you guys buy your Playbooks? (No wrong answer, just wondering.) I pre-ordered mine so I was stuck with the original OS. I know that when 2.0 (or w/e) came out alot of issues were resolved. Sadly, I did not hold onto the playbook that long. I took a $300 loss after 4 months of ownership. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda like when BB released OS7 on over priced phones. That being said, the stock playbook did not keep up with any of my coworkers Ipads, did not include a calendar, has a lower screen refresh rate, and the thethering to my 9800 was slow and buggy. That was simply my experience with it. If 2.0 was really that much better than I would reconsider owning one when I purchase the z10. But ya look at sales figures of the PB and let those speak for themselves. It didnt start to sell good until the $299 price and then flied off the shelf at $199.
    12-22-12 07:40 PM
    I bought my PlayBook very recently, about a month or two ago, for $150. Frankly I doubt I would have bought it for a significantly greater price. It's a great product, no doubt, I just don't have a very significant need for a tablet at the moment. I've found plenty of ways to make it a functional device for me, but I could easily have lived without it.
    12-22-12 07:48 PM
    Lol,it's not like twitter is that hard to find. Perhaps some like to hear themselves over and over and over,lol. Pavlov on steroids.
    Last edited by TomJasper; 12-22-12 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Grammar
    SirJes likes this.
    12-22-12 08:08 PM
    So is your motivation for a lower priced Z10 inspired by your "apparent" $300 loss on transaction/s of your "apparently" owned PB? Forgive me for making a casual observation but in my opinion you seem bitter and perhaps you can justify that but the transgression of that to Z10 seems in my opinion shaded in thought, some would say "intentional bias" but of course I don't speak for all. On the flip side of that analogy is/are those who have had their PB's from day one and soon will see FREE BB10 on their PB, so ....happy hare/bitter rabbit would seem an apt metaphor of sorts when one tries to apply fairness across the spectrum of product price/marketability , would you not agree that a fair assessment leading up to the vortex of decisions in the marketplace in conjunction with consumer speak?
    Out of curiosity, when did you guys buy your Playbooks? (No wrong answer, just wondering.) I pre-ordered mine so I was stuck with the original OS. I know that when 2.0 (or w/e) came out alot of issues were resolved. Sadly, I did not hold onto the playbook that long. I took a $300 loss after 4 months of ownership. Left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda like when BB released OS7 on over priced phones. That being said, the stock playbook did not keep up with any of my coworkers Ipads, did not include a calendar, has a lower screen refresh rate, and the thethering to my 9800 was slow and buggy. That was simply my experience with it. If 2.0 was really that much better than I would reconsider owning one when I purchase the z10. But ya look at sales figures of the PB and let those speak for themselves. It didnt start to sell good until the $299 price and then flied off the shelf at $199.
    12-22-12 08:28 PM
    Fair enough. But I dont think it would have killed them to put in 2GB of ram.
    Who says they didn't?
    Gla1ze and Bobcat665 like this.
    12-22-12 08:54 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7799869 I'm impressed and considering BlackBerry10 is a very efficient OS compared to the Hog that is Android, Anyone with an Android would really be doing themselves a favor in upgrading to BlackBerry10.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-22-12 09:30 PM
    i dont get why everyone is so upset with the specs, every seems on par with other top handsets. It has a snap dragon s4, which is the best processor available at the moment in regards to speed and battery life, has a screen with over 350ppi, a powerful gpu, and lte. The only thing I could see is the 1gb RAM, would've been nice if had 2gb, but 1gb is still fine, and 16gb storage is also on the low end, but it does have an sd card slot so you can add more. Plus as others have said, as long as the software can take advantage of those specs the user experience should be fantastic.
    The Snapdragon S4 powers the ultra low end, free on contract smartphones now. I don't know why people here keep acting like it is some high end processor. But it really isn't. Look at the Samsung Galaxy Stellar and Pantech Marauder. Both of these phones use a dual core Snapdragon S4 processor, both of these phones launched months ago at the price of $0 with a new agreement. Both of these phones cost around $300 off contract.
    I wonder if all the people here defending the Z10's specs think that the Stellar and the Marauder are high-end.
    12-22-12 09:37 PM
    The PB is prime example of an under power unit with a nice UI.
    It was not 'underpowered' when it came out. Also, give some examples of things it can't do or is inhibited by it's "lack of power"
    12-22-12 09:45 PM
    The Snapdragon S4 powers the ultra low end
    what?? I am not sure but doesn't the Snapdragon S4 rumoured in BB 10 powers the Lumia 920, "bond" phone Xperia V and HTC 8X?? hardly low end, let alone ultra low end. The Stellar is probably low end (still won't call it ultra low end) because of "low end" screen, camera and the famous Samsung build quality
    Easy-G likes this.
    12-22-12 10:05 PM
250 ... 23456 ...