Correct...sometimes, as you can read below, the reason for being "sold out" is because they didn't make enough:
    Hi I wanted Z10 sim free bought one on Friday after search, sim free sold out sir, or would you like one on contract at most stores,
    increased profit, no payg options yet,
    Z10 is a great phone and can take on the oposition.
    Nexus 4 sold fewer than 400,000 units in three months, data shows | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    02-03-13 06:55 AM
    OK so Nexus didn't sell a lot even though it was a "sell out"

Just like it doesn't mean there were a ton of sales, it doesn't mean there weren't. Time will tell.

But it does create a buzz that may be helpful in the US launch. Knowing it sold out in the UK and hopefully Canada should create additional interest here (IMO of course).

Plus I would love to be able to mention to all of folks who have been telling me "Blackberry is dead" etc. that it sold out on initial release. :-)
    M.Rizk and kevinnugent like this.
    02-03-13 07:17 AM
    Sold out means nothing. Nexus 4 sold out within minutes, it doesn't mean they sold millions. Let's wait for the official figures. Especially, after the US launch.
    The Nexus 4 "sold out" because of Google's and LG's deliberate strangulation of the inventory flow to Google Play. Most manufacturing of the N4 was being tailored toward carrier inventory meaning artificial supply shortages forcing a false sense of demand out stripping supply.

The Z10 on the other hand is due purely to demand.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-03-13 07:25 AM
    OK so Nexus didn't sell a lot even though it was a "sell out"

Just like it doesn't mean there were a ton of sales, it doesn't mean there weren't. Time will tell.

But it does create a buzz that may be helpful in the US launch. Knowing it sold out in the UK and hopefully Canada should create additional interest here (IMO of course).

Plus I would love to be able to mention to all of folks who have been telling me "Blackberry is dead" etc. that it sold out on initial release. :-)
    There are actually already concerns that in store inventory will be low to non-existent due to all the pre orders that have taken place. Rogers is said to be in a bind with pre orders out stripping inventory by 4x, this after increasing their inventory orders twice. All the major carriers have cancelled or are in the process of cancelling the pre order process. The smaller carriers (WIND, Mobilicity) won't be launching on the 4th as they can't get inventory until sometime in March.

Either way, the next month looks like it's going to need a busy time for BlackBerry.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-03-13 07:33 AM
    Not sure if this was already posted, but they sold several 100 Thousand of Z10 in the UK. I would assume approx: 300 to 500 Thousand sold out in 48hrs. Several is not 200 Thousand, several is more than 3.

BlackBerry will become a super hot seller because of Word of Mouth. The phone is the best you can buy.
    It appears to be a great device, best you can buy? Not sure about that. Its less functional than identically priced phones and the BlackBerry push email service is gone with no cloud service. Great upgrade for current BlackBerry owners, unsure if I'll be able to use it daily coming from Android.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-03-13 08:19 AM
    There are actually already concerns that in store inventory will be low to non-existent due to all the pre orders that have taken place. Rogers is said to be in a bind with pre orders out stripping inventory by 4x, this after increasing their inventory orders twice. All the major carriers have cancelled or are in the process of cancelling the pre order process. The smaller carriers (WIND, Mobilicity) won't be launching on the 4th as they can't get inventory until sometime in March.

Either way, the next month looks like it's going to need a busy time for BlackBerry.
    It appears to be a great device, best you can buy? Not sure about that. Its less functional than identically priced phones and the BlackBerry push email service is gone with no cloud service. Great upgrade for current BlackBerry owners, unsure if I'll be able to use it daily coming from Android.
    Well discussions can go on for a long time about is it the best but it appears that they are outselling at least the carriers projections. Sometimes perception IS reality, looks like it may be working here if it isn't the best.

Makes me start to worry that the US release may be delayed to meet current demand. Maybe that's why US OEMs are not releasing dates.
    Jonesy1966 and bbfan1040 like this.
    02-03-13 09:14 AM
    The good thing to me is the fact that it sold out, regardless of the total number. At least nobody can say that nobody wanted it.
    jakie55, Pdinos3 and nataliefc like this.
    02-03-13 09:27 AM
    I agree that being "sold out" is a lot more encouraging than "we have loads of stock because nobody is buying them" but we won't really be able to put this into perspective until we get some actual figures. Certainly if true, "several hundred thousand" on days 1 and 2 for a phone that was widely touted as being Dead On Arrival sounds pretty good to me.
    jakie55, M.Rizk and xiaohuaxing like this.
    02-03-13 09:34 AM
    What it does indicate is that it sold more than either: 1) had been expected or 2) they were able to order due to intentional production limitations.
    02-03-13 09:40 AM
    Oh no, now I'm never gonna get one......I want the black beauty Z10 - so bad :-)
    02-03-13 09:41 AM
    Please delete this thread, the OP has not looked hard enough, stop hyping for the sake of hyping lets be realistic... in my town:

Phones4u have plenty of stock
    Carephonewarehouse also have stock.
    Vodafone store has stock.

My experience today.

Phones4u :
    Good: Dedicated stand for Z10, poster in window.
    Bad: The demo unit on the stand, well the battery was dead even though it was plugged in so no one could see it working.

Vodafone:
    Good: The store was open. *sarcasm*
    Bad: No poster / advert, no dedicated stand, the demo unit was locked away in a cabinet behind the desk out of site with some other phones just thrown in like junk spare parts or something, the salesman didn't even know they had one, was told by a colleague who over heard my interest, then he didn't know how to turn it on so I showed him by swiping up from the button, i gave him a little demo of the Z10 and the Vodafone salesman WAS IMPRESSED with what the phone could do, wtf?! seriously?

p.s he was the "Business Advisor".

Carephonewarehouse:
    Good: Poster in window.
    Bad: Just dummy units, no dedicated stand.

Now not all stores will be like this, but this is the stores in my area, others may vary but can give guys an idea of how BB10 is being delivered, needs more work, the big PUSH is still dedicated iPhone and SG3 stands in all 3 stores.
    tiziano27 likes this.
    02-03-13 09:45 AM
    Only Sim-free z10 is sold out? I haven't found any news about the z10 being sold out in the press.
    02-03-13 09:54 AM
    The phone companies *love* to have a hot seller, when the S3 was launched, Phones4U rushed out a press release within 24hrs saying it was already their best selling phone of 2012 - if the Z10 was selling in the numbers people are claiming here, we will see a press release from at least one of the networks by tomorrow.
    02-03-13 10:01 AM
    Alright...here is how the stock levels at the carriers would work in this situation. First off this is make or break for Blackberry. The carriers are NOT going to run out of supply from their main distribution center and here is why. Blackberry is going to over stock them and going to over stock them like this as an example.....here take these 100,000 units don't pay us for 90 days if you have too many at the end of 90 days...we will take them back. This is how retail works when you want to sell a product...always....unless it is limited by production. (ie. manufactures shortage) All of the carriers are going to be stocked at Blackberry's expense on this launch.
    kevinnugent and Bumble2000 like this.
    02-03-13 10:27 AM
    The Nexus 4 "sold out" because of Google's and LG's deliberate strangulation of the inventory flow to Google Play. Most manufacturing of the N4 was being tailored toward carrier inventory meaning artificial supply shortages forcing a false sense of demand out stripping supply.

The Z10 on the other hand is due purely to demand.
    Or the fact that the phone was released unlocked WORLDWIDE for under 300 , and only sold through the play store when it was released. Its funny that one company did purportedly something to "skew" the results and BB has more merit, so they did something else completely opposite.
    02-03-13 10:46 AM

Does this mean I might not get Z10 if I just walk in to a store on Feb 5 due to shortage of stocks? I don't have per-order Anyway, "sold out" hype is good. Actual high sales is better but just word "sold out" peaks interest of people who is kind of " I have to have what everybody has. Can't be left out." I think this is the best kind of advertisement for non-bb addicts. Let's add more hype into it this week, Canadians!
    02-03-13 11:07 AM
    Does this mean I might not get Z10 if I just walk in to a store on Feb 5 due to shortage of stocks? I don't have per-order Anyway, "sold out" hype is good. Actual high sales is better but just word "sold out" peaks interest of people who is kind of " I have to have what everybody has. Can't be left out." I think this is the best kind of advertisement for non-bb addicts. Let's add more hype into it this week, Canadians!
    I hope I can walk into a bell store and buy one cuz I didn't pre order one
    02-03-13 11:12 AM
    What matters for Blackberry is the amount of phones they ship per quarter, Even if the reason it's a sellout is because of low initial inventory, that means that the carriers have to reorder Z10s an this time they will order more because they see the demand.

So all in all, it's good for BB.
    bekkay and bbfan1040 like this.
    02-03-13 11:16 AM
    I hope I can walk into a bell store and buy one cuz I didn't pre order one
    I hope that you can, but TELUS has changed their preorder expected ship dates because their first shipment is gone, I ordered on 01/30 so I hope I get mine
    02-03-13 11:17 AM
    What matters for Blackberry is the amount of phones they ship per quarter, Even if the reason it's a sellout is because of low initial inventory, that means that the carriers have to reorder Z10s an this time they will order more because they see the demand.

So all in all, it's good for BB.
    Exactly!
    02-03-13 11:45 AM
    Or the fact that the phone was released unlocked WORLDWIDE for under 300 , and only sold through the play store when it was released. Its funny that one company did purportedly something to "skew" the results and BB has more merit, so they did something else completely opposite.
    Actually, it wasn't sold Worldwide for $300, only in Canada and the US, in Europe and the rest of the world you could only buy the phone through carriers at a higher retail price ($500-$550 depending on currency and exchange rate).

That's by-the-by, to suggest the Nexus 4 is a huge run away sales success just isn't true. After about 6 weeks of sales the N4 had only sold 400,000 units and yet people were still waiting 6, 8, sometimes as long as 12 weeks for their phones. The rumour at the time was that LG was having manufacturing issues with the glass back and it was also suggested that the phone had sold out in the millions. Neither were true. It turns out that 80% of manufacturing was being stockpiled for carrier delivery. Google has always been the worst retailer of phones out there, they didn't learn a single lesson from the Nexus One disaster, or from any point on from that. And besides, the Nexus line will always be a niche product sold to nerds, geeks and wannabes who have to have the "pure" Android experience. The most successful phone they've launched so far was the Galaxy Nexus and that's only because it was made by Samsung.

The N4 will never be a huge success simply because of what it doesn't have rather than what it does:

It lacks a removable battery;
    It doesn't have an expandable memory, 16GB is considered too low these days, and;
    It doesn't have functional LTE.

2 of those items are must haves for me and I would think the vast majority of people who really use their phones for a lot more than playing Angry Birds, so the N4 could be free and it would still be too much for a phone that I would find useless.
    02-03-13 01:08 PM
    FAR EXCEEDED what carriers thought.
    Or in numbers that EXCEEDED what BBRY decided to ship to carriers as the first batch.

I am pretty sure that BBRY is now very very conservative in its sales estimates after the Playbook fiasco and don't want to appear as overstocked.

Plus, it is obvious that there are fans that would buy the device, but that doesn't mean a thing as far as general market success goes (hence the downward sloping demand curve ).

Wait and see is all I am saying. Too early to draw any conclusions.
    02-03-13 01:32 PM
    Or in numbers that EXCEEDED what BBRY decided to ship to carriers as the first batch.

I am pretty sure that BBRY is now very very conservative in its sales estimates after the Playbook fiasco and don't want to appear as overstocked.

Plus, it is obvious that there are fans that would buy the device, but that doesn't mean a thing as far as general market success goes (hence the downward sloping demand curve ).

Wait and see is all I am saying. Too early to draw any conclusions.
    Fully agree with that in any other case, but i believe that w the Z10 and this last chance for BB they would rather overship. This is a situation where everything has to be left on the table. We already know that Rogers under ordered, so im guessing it is the same with the others. There is no reason for an undershipment on BB side.
    02-03-13 02:47 PM
    Guys the store i bought my sim free Z10 from is local to me and a friend works there, hence i managed to get mine on release day.
    Now the feedback from the store (Phones4u) surprised me, on release day the store put out there allocation of 100 Z10's in the 10 hours they where opened and did sell out.
    Now although they sold out stock was to be relenished the following day, My mate the Iphone user was really surprised he reckons sales where on a level par with the S3, now wether this constitutes great sales or poor sales i dont know. But if this is a snapshot of whats happening around the UK i personally think its impressive for a supposed dying brand.
    02-03-13 02:56 PM
    Looks like were in the same boat, neither of us can get a Z10 at the moment...I live in the US
    02-03-13 03:04 PM
87 1234