Not inactive ones per se (except for, I guess, UMTS 1700 in your case,) but all the bands that are present across all different Z10s. So the "filter" basically hides the bands that are not present in your Z10.
    Not present on the hardware or not active because of the current SIM and carrier used?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 09:51 PM
    Not present on the hardware or not active because of the current SIM and carrier used?
    Seems like both.
    12-06-13 09:56 PM
    So ralfyguy says he has an unlocked RFF91LW device on AT&T with an AT&T SIM, running a recent OS release, and doesn't show 1700Mhz UMTS available.

This seems to conflict with what modifier is claiming. Or am I missing something?
    AT&T doesn't use 1700 UMTS and has no reason to allow it. Signal picks up what a carrier broadcasts as available frequencies. 1700 UMTS isn't available. But, if you put a T-mo SIM in that same device I bet you'll see 1700 available with no other changes.

My unlocked 91LW was originally from Rogers yet it has 1700 UMTS. It can't be tied to the hardware, only the radio file. What you can actually use is tied to the SIM and network.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by modifier; 12-07-13 at 01:31 AM.
    12-07-13 01:15 AM
    Signal picks up what a carrier broadcasts as available frequencies.
    But in conjunction with what's onboard too, right? Because like the UMTS 1700 situation, why would a TMO OS broadcast UMTS 850, or 2100?
    12-07-13 01:46 AM
    But in conjunction with what's onboard too, right? Because like the UMTS 1700 situation, why would a TMO OS broadcast UMTS 850, or 2100?
    Tmo native 3G is 1700 Tx / 2100 Rx. 850 is used for roaming on older 3G cell sites. I don't see any issues there.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 06:05 AM
    What makes me wonder is that the Signal app had that filter for showing active and all bands (inactive included). To me it sounds more like the inactive bands are on the device as being capable of working if the matching SIM and carriers are used. Where else would the app get that info from? Especially since the device is now network unlocked.
    I may just try that and put the Rogers SIM I got in eBay for getting the 10.2 update to see what changes in the list.
    But it may also rely on having to actually also have a network signal present to see what changes you would see in the app.
    Just changing the SIM might not work.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 08:50 AM
    To me it sounds more like the inactive bands are on the device as being capable of working if the matching SIM and carriers are used. Where else would the app get that info from?
    It could be a pre-entered database of all the possible bands a Z10 can have, with the ones detected on-board highlighted with the blue dot. If you see in your filter off screenshot, it also shows the CDMA bands, and we know that the only CDMA capable Z10 is the -4. If your theory were true and all Z10s were made equal, then putting in a TMO or AT&T SIM in a -4 should get 3G or better. But that doesn't happen.

I may just try that and put the Rogers SIM I got in eBay for getting the 10.2 update to see what changes in the list.
    But it may also rely on having to actually also have a network signal present to see what changes you would see in the app.
    This would be a good test. Signal band listing might be dictated at the OS (radio file) level as modifier has pointed out, but if you already have a SIM, it's such a simple test to do
    12-07-13 10:05 AM
    I made a comparison between the Z10 I bought from T-Mobile Back at launch day and the one i got yesterday from Shop BlackBerry and the radio networks from the signal app is the same on both

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 01:20 PM
    Actually, it should but you'll only see 1700 UMTS go active on the list with a T-Mobile SIM, not Rogers. You need a carrier that provisions 1700. Neither AT&T nor Rodgers use it so the SIM isn't looking for that frequency.

The SIM contains the MNC (mobile network code) and that defines what towers/frequencies to use. Your screen shot shows 310-410 as the MNC, meaning your SIM uses UMTS 850/1900.

Since I don't have an AT&T issued OS to test with a T-Mobile SIM, I can't say for sure if they have 1700 mhz in their -3 radio file. My guess is they do.

I made a comparison between the Z10 I bought from T-Mobile Back at launch day and the one i got yesterday from Shop BlackBerry and the radio networks from the signal app is the same on both.
    BlackBerry sells the same 121LW model as TMO so that's no surprise. They come from the same factory. One goes in a black box, the other a white box. The only change is that T-Mobile requests theirs locked.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 02:52 PM
    Actually, it should but you'll only see 1700 UMTS go active on the list with a T-Mobile SIM, not Rogers. You need a carrier that provisions 1700. Neither AT&T nor Rodgers use it so the SIM isn't looking for that frequency.
    Makes sense. So someone with a WIND SIM should see the 1700 band too, right?
    12-07-13 03:05 PM
    So the general assumption is that if I was to sign up with T-Mobile and leave AT&T with my unlocked AT&T phone, it should work just fine. Not that I'm going to, but would be nice to know. I have been with T-Mobile in the past and have a SIM left that I filed down to micro size. But it is about five years old. I wonder if it is safe to stick that in....

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 03:56 PM
    Makes sense. So someone with a WIND SIM should see the 1700 band too, right?
    yup. I'd be shocked if it didn't work.

So the general assumption is that if I was to sign up with T-Mobile and leave AT&T with my unlocked AT&T phone, it should work just fine. Not that I'm going to, but would be nice to know. I have been with T-Mobile in the past and have a SIM left that I filed down to micro size. But it is about five years old. I wonder if it is safe to stick that in....
    Absolutely. I had an unlocked 91LW on TMO up until yesterday. All bands worked including wifi calling. It came from Rogers Canada before the Z10 was available in the States. I've found zero difference between it and the 121LW in actual use. Both had the same OS until I retired the 91LW to playing with leaks.

On the SIM, it's deactivated so all you'll get is an SOS signal. The carrier won't care and it won't harm your phone. Go for it.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 05:16 PM
    modifier, let me throw in a twist here: what's supposed to be happening if a carrier is blocking access to a band? Please take a look at this thread, where it's being suggested that the Verizon Z30 is not pulling LTE on TMO because band 4 is restricted. How does Signal still detect the frequency yet the phone cannot access it?
    12-07-13 07:32 PM
    My guess would be a lack of roaming agreement in that area. It happens to me all the time. I'm supposed to have free reign to roam on AT&T yet in certain areas it won't happen as the carrier agreement was cancelled on specific towers. It has nothing to do with hardware at that point.

Again, it's just a guess but one based on my own experience with going cross-carrier on the same band.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 09:18 PM
39 12