Hello Everyone,

Let me start by saying that I've had my Z10 since april 2013 and so far I was very happy with it ! This phone just is the best !

But recently I had some issues with the screen shutting off randomely, be it when I'm in the middle of writing a message, playing a game or else. At first I thought it was a little bug that would not happen too often. But then it bugged more and more.
    I contacted my reseller to see what he had to say about this. I returned my phone and after a while he sent me back a completely new one.

Problem is that I just transferred my data on it and it starts to do this again. I then thought maybe to many messages, I deleted all my messages but still. I really don't know what to do anymore...

For informations sake I have the BlackBerry Z10 SLT 100-2, OS version 10.2.1.2102
    I'm running some Android Apps : Snapchat, Bancontact Shazam
    Also I downloaded Snap

Don't know if someone encountered the same issue or knows how to solve this bug ?

I'm really getting desperate to have a phone that works normally, or do I have really bad luck and got to faulty phones?
    05-22-14 02:50 PM
    Create a back up, wipe the device, load it up as if brand new and see if it does it. If it doesn't then you're likely transferring the issue back onto the device from your previous backup or there's an app causing it, which is not unheard of. Start adding things back one by one and find out where the problem is.
    Nonocrack and anon(3950127) like this.
    05-22-14 03:03 PM
    Hello Bla1ze,
    Thank you for your help with this matter I tried what you suggested and so far I just encountered the problem once or twice. I hope this is solved now. I formatted also my SD Card and wiped every application. So far I only installed Snap and Crackberry.

Anyway if it's just once in a while it's ok. Could it be that the next OS update will solve this issue?

Thank you
    Last edited by Nonocrack; 05-25-14 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Adding
    05-25-14 12:11 PM
    Does the battery drain all the way to 0%?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 01:07 PM
    Sometimes it does as I don't have a external charger for it. Would this cause disruption with the screen?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 03:18 PM
    Sometimes it does as I don't have a external charger for it. Would this cause disruption with the screen?

Posted via CB10
    I doubt that. I was just checking to make sure you didn't have a battery calibration issue where the battery dies and phone shuts down but the battery indicator falsely shows that the battery still has power. That's a common cause of random shut downs. Does the screen wake up normally when you swipe up or press the power button after it shuts down randomly?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 04:19 PM
    I noticed something: This always happened to me when I was using an app with dark theme enabled (BBM, WhatsApp, calendar, contacts, etc).
    It's like when the screen goes standby with these apps open and then you unlock the phone the screen gets lit on but the UI of the app is blacked out.
    Pressing the lock/unlock button a couple of times and then swiping up from the bottom bezel (with screen still black) minimized the app as if it was a whole black page.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-25-14 05:55 PM
    I doubt that. I was just checking to make sure you didn't have a battery calibration issue where the battery dies and phone shuts down but the battery indicator falsely shows that the battery still has power. That's a common cause of random shut downs. Does the screen wake up normally when you swipe up or press the power button after it shuts down randomly?

Posted via CB10
    The thing is that it doesn't shut down its just the screen that is turning off randomly.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 01:48 AM
    I noticed something: This always happened to me when I was using an app with dark theme enabled (BBM, WhatsApp, calendar, contacts, etc).
    It's like when the screen goes standby with these apps open and then you unlock the phone the screen gets lit on but the UI of the app is blacked out.
    Pressing the lock/unlock button a couple of times and then swiping up from the bottom bezel (with screen still black) minimized the app as if it was a whole black page.

Posted via CB10
    That could be it I will try to change the black themes to white ones to see if this still happens. Thanks !

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 01:50 AM
    Let us know

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 03:31 PM
    So after some days of trying all types of solutions. At one time I thought it was a problem with the proximity sensor or the accelerometer. I checked with Ghost Commander if the files for the proximity and accelerometer where present. So I went on and couldn't find any solution. But I noticed that when the display turns dark, when I move the phone a little (waving) it turns on again.
    At last I took my case off my Z10 so that it could fit in the multimedia dock. I left the phone without the case and noticed that in this case (yes the joke was too tempting) my Z10 was not shutting it's display.
    I'm afraid that it's my case that is causing this trouble, maybe the case is keeping the heat and is probably overheating with the case on. My only concern is that this case, being a Vaja case was not cheap and it's not really what I wanted when I purchased it x)

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 01:31 PM
    So after some days of trying all types of solutions. At one time I thought it was a problem with the proximity sensor or the accelerometer. I checked with Ghost Commander if the files for the proximity and accelerometer where present. So I went on and couldn't find any solution. But I noticed that when the display turns dark, when I move the phone a little (waving) it turns on again.
    At last I took my case off my Z10 so that it could fit in the multimedia dock. I left the phone without the case and noticed that in this case (yes the joke was too tempting) my Z10 was not shutting it's display.
    I'm afraid that it's my case that is causing this trouble, maybe the case is keeping the heat and is probably overheating with the case on. My only concern is that this case, being a Vaja case was not cheap and it's not really what I wanted when I purchased it x)

Posted via CB10
    Could the case be too tight, putting pressure somewhere that cause the phone to go off? How warm does the phone feel while in the case?
    06-01-14 02:11 PM
    I'm having same problem but model is 1001 and I'm using bumper case with latest official update please help me to fix I did calibrated battery 10 times

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 02:40 PM
    The case is actually just sticking to the back of the phone with a lid that covers the front. (nuova Pelle, Vaja). I tried it this morning and again it had this issue,even if the phone was not running hot. So I don't know what it is with this case but it does something.
    Maybe covering the whole back is not good ? Or maybe the material inside the case, to make the leather stiff is interfering with the phone signals?
    I'm not sure of what it does but when the case is not on it my Z10 doesn't have this problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 01:32 AM
    Here is the link to the case :http://www.vajacases.com/blackberry-...10-nuova-pelle

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 01:33 AM
    While the description does not mention a SLEEP MAGNET, does it have one? The z10 has a sensor near the left side (portrait mode) that can detect a magnet and turn off the screen. It is located about half up/down and about 1/2 to 1 inch in from the left side. Or any magnet placed near that position can turn off/on the z10.
    06-02-14 08:02 AM
    So It hasn't any magnet but this sensor could turn wild if something was put near that ? The case has no magnet but a material beneath the leather is stiff so it could be that this can affect the sensor ?

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 09:35 AM
    Any magnet placed near the SENSOR could trigger the screen to turn off. Removing the magnet will turn the screen ON. Placing pressure on the phone in odd ways could affect it, I guess. Not sure if a magnet underneath (rear by battery cover) would affect it but if strong, it might be possible.

I thought this case uses a Sticky Substance to hold the phone. So how is it "tight."
    06-02-14 09:48 AM
    I would go with the magnet explanation. My wife had the same issue with a flip case that when flipped open and the cover bent back over would sometimes turn off the screen. Removed the phone from the case and solved the issue.

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    06-02-14 10:15 AM
    Do coins stick to the cover on your case?

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    06-02-14 10:15 AM
    I just read a review of the Vaja case for IPhone and it definitely has a magnet that is used for closing the case.

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    06-02-14 10:30 AM
    I just read a review of the Vaja case for IPhone and it definitely has a magnet that is used for closing the case.

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    Also the Vaja website shows their Q10 case as having the magnet sleep function.

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    06-02-14 10:39 AM
    Yes the ones for the iPhone and for the Q10 have a magnet to hold the lid in place. The one for the Z10 has nothing like it, no magnet here, no coins stick to it and basically the case fits tightly just with the sticky back. But maybe there is something with the case...

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 03:59 PM
    Yes the ones for the iPhone and for the Q10 have a magnet to hold the lid in place. The one for the Z10 has nothing like it, no magnet here, no coins stick to it and basically the case fits tightly just with the sticky back. But maybe there is something with the case...

Posted via CB10
    Are you using metal coins? Lol. :-)

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    06-02-14 04:22 PM
    I just checked and a magnet at the back (battery side) will turn on/off the screen. And I have a leather case on mine. So depending on where you set it down, if not the case itself, might trigger the on/off.
    06-02-14 06:17 PM
26 12