Hey guys

I dropped my z10 from knee height and the screen cracked. The lcd looks fine when I press the unlock button to see notifications, however the touch screen does not respond.

I see the lcd+digitizer assembly for sale at about $100-130 USD. The process involves unscrewing and part swapping the old assembly for new. Looks easy for someone who has replaced a bb9900 keyboard before.

I see the digitizer glass panel for sale at about $30 USD. I heard the process of separating the old digitizer from the old lcd and assembling the new digitizer to the lcd is difficult. But I havent seen a post describing that process.

I see used z10 I can salvage for parts at about $240 USD. Part swap.

And im not sure what the 1 billion inventory of unsold z10 devices will eventually sell for as a unit price, but I assume it will be minimum $350 without contract.

What should I do?
    10-09-13 09:21 AM
    It would depend entirely on how bad you'd need a working phone. Quickest way is buying the digitizer.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:05 AM
    I agree, the quickest way is to buying the replacement and replace it yourself

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:14 AM
    I thought I read that the manufacturing technique used meant that the WHOLE screen assembly needed to be replaced. Something like a "fused sandwich."
    10-09-13 10:26 AM
    For screen replacement you can probably find video tutorials on youtube. You might also consider getting a used Z10 for actual use and scrapping the broken one. OR you could upgrade to a Z30 when available in your country.

For BB parts try...

BlackBerry Replacement Parts
    10-09-13 10:28 AM
    Check your local classifies for people looking to unload their Z10. Their panic is your gain.
    10-09-13 01:25 PM
    i have a similar issue. mine got dropped from a knee height as well (1 yr old though) and shattered the digitizer. how do i know which version of lcd i have without opening the phone
    10-09-13 02:37 PM
    Update: I picked up my Torx set for $12 from princess auto and now will never have to worry about missing another tool again for cell phones. Its got all the Torx 1-10 and some triangles and something that looks like a klingon screw and all that.

I cranked this sucker open and dismantled according to the tear down instructions. I only unscrewed the screws and unplugged the ribbon cables. Didn't remove any components like in their video. After prying the LCD off (this one can leave marks on the frame), I found I have the LCD-46537-001/111 display model, not the 002. My device is a Z10 STL1003 incase anyone wants to know, but I dont think thats any guarantee you will have the same LCD if you also have a STL1003.

I can see this part is $120 including shipping from etradesupply.com. Most ebay places want $160+. Most places will also provide and replace the part for $160-ish in toronto area. Nobody local wants to sell the part themselves though... maybe because the $40 cream for 30m of labour is too sweet. So it looks like I'll have to buy this from china and have it shipped to me. Not sure what the duties and taxes will be yet (if any), but possibly I may end up paying $160 out of pocket.

If anyone has a bricked Z10 i'm hoping I could pick that up for $70 and harvest the LCD. But time is running out so I'll just buy me from that chinese online store I think.
    10-10-13 03:34 PM
    If I read the post correctly, I would pay the $40 labor and be done with it- one pizza and a 12 pack of Sam

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 05:10 PM
    I ended up going to pacific mall and bought the part for $150. Installed myself and had a great time doing it.

Z10 back to life.

Those who are not willing to risk it can pay $180 to have it installed for you.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 08:43 PM
    Glad you got it fixed!
    10-11-13 12:41 AM
    Update: I picked up my Torx set for $12 from princess auto and now will never have to worry about missing another tool again for cell phones. Its got all the Torx 1-10 and some triangles and something that looks like a klingon screw and all that.

I cranked this sucker open and dismantled according to the tear down instructions. I only unscrewed the screws and unplugged the ribbon cables. Didn't remove any components like in their video. After prying the LCD off (this one can leave marks on the frame), I found I have the LCD-46537-001/111 display model, not the 002. My device is a Z10 STL1003 incase anyone wants to know, but I dont think thats any guarantee you will have the same LCD if you also have a STL1003.

I can see this part is $120 including shipping from etradesupply.com. Most ebay places want $160+. Most places will also provide and replace the part for $160-ish in toronto area. Nobody local wants to sell the part themselves though... maybe because the $40 cream for 30m of labour is too sweet. So it looks like I'll have to buy this from china and have it shipped to me. Not sure what the duties and taxes will be yet (if any), but possibly I may end up paying $160 out of pocket.

If anyone has a bricked Z10 i'm hoping I could pick that up for $70 and harvest the LCD. But time is running out so I'll just buy me from that chinese online store I think.
    Are the torz screwdriver the only ones needed for the repair

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 08:26 PM
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/251508751933?nav=SEARCH

Nice and easy and sexy!

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    06-08-14 08:45 PM
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/251508751933?nav=SEARCH

Nice and easy and sexy!

STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    I don't have a need for the back housing but do you know what torx screwdrivers I would need I'm assuming #1 and #4 but I'm not sure

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 09:34 PM
    I don't understand... on ebay the lcd + digitizer + housing costs $25usd?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251414530705?nav=SEARCH

Why pay $180?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 10:14 AM

I cranked this sucker open and dismantled according to the tear down instructions. I only unscrewed the screws and unplugged the ribbon cables. Didn't remove any components like in their video. After prying the LCD off (this one can leave marks on the frame), I found I have the LCD-46537-001/111 display model, not the 002. My device is a Z10 STL1003 in case anyone wants to know, but I don't think thats any guarantee you will have the same LCD if you also have a STL1003.

I know this is an old thread, but it's still contains relevant information. Just the pricing reference is wrong these days and kits can be found way cheaper on eBay which tend to include a whole front digitizer (so you don't have to take things apart as much) and a frame (so if yours is scratched up a lot, you'll get your baby back in pristine shape). Prices vary so do some shopping (I've seen as little as $12.41 CAD for the whole 4G kit!!!)

FYI, there are two versions of these LCD repair kits on eBay and Amazon. One is for a 3G phone (STL100-1) and for a 4G phone (STL100-2, 3, 4). MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT KIT or you'll be mad as it won't fit (I believe the SIM card slots are different).

Anyhow, some useful information I've researched:

What phone do I have? LTE or 3G?
    Z10 Screen Cracked, Buy LCD Assembly? Buy Digitizer? Wait for Firesale?-z10-4g-lte-3g_1.jpg

• The LCD code of a 4G Blackberry Z10 LCD assembly is LCD-46537-001/111. Do not confuse this item with the other 3G version of the BB Z10 LCD assembly, whose LCD code is LCD-46537-002/111.
    • Screwdrivers needed are T-2 Torx and T-1 Torx for the 3G version and T-3 for the 4G version. Make sure your tools have these or you're hooped.
    • This video is recommended for disassembly and reassembly. Since you're most likely buying a whole kit some of the screen separation steps may be omitted on disassembly/reassembly obviously.
    • BE REALLY CAREFUL when taking off cables and connectors. This guy in the video drops stuff, don't do that obviously. I'd lay down something white and soft like a towel or a pillow underneath to catch things if they do fall. Also, if you have an anti-static bag from old computer RAM or components around, use it to store the motherboard just to be safe when taking things apart. A white towel or pillow will help catch and allow you to easily locate the little black screws if they fall out. If you lose a screw, you're in deep trouble.
    • Speaking of screws, make sure you draw on a piece of paper exactly where EACH screw comes out from (for example - draw a quick orientation diagram/chicken scratching of where each screw came out from and put the screw in that space on your drawing). It doesn't have to be pretty, but you need to put the same screw back in the same slot on the phone!!! DO NOT just unscrew everything and put all the screws together in a pile and then randomly put them back in the phone. Screws can be installed differently and wear the insert thread differently. I have also heard they don't line up so why bother with that frustration and just draw a quick diagram for each piece you take apart?

Anyhow, this is really SUPER easy and in like 10-15 minutes you'll be back in business and will have saved a pile of money.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02-15-15 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added LTE vs 3G photo
    FF22 likes this.
    02-12-15 02:12 AM