it was. the s2 put them in pole position, the s3 raked in the profits. people here dont seem to realise that you font charge that sort of money for an unproven device. but whatever, i am glad they don't work at RIM lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    History of the iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$599 for the original 8GB iphone with an UNPROVEN mobile OS with NO itunes app store! So no.. RIM is not out of line. As I say, if $600+ is too expensive for an "unproven" OS, don't buy it outright.
    01-09-13 07:52 AM
    History of the iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$599 for the original 8GB iphone with an UNPROVEN mobile OS with NO itunes app store! So no.. RIM is not out of line. As I say, if $600+ is too expensive for an "unproven" OS, don't buy it outright.
    once again. if RIM was as big as apple then this thread wouldnt exist.
    RIM cant compete with apple at this stage. to think otherwise is pure delusions.
    ironically my whole point is about building rim up to that point.
    if bb10 was released back when the iphone was released rim could charge what they wanted.
    people need to realise RIM are minor league. stop quoting people in the big leagues as an example...

edit. just saw you using the 600 price tag. this whole thread was arguing over 700 being too expensive. i said earlier ideally the z10 should be around 550-600
    so we actually agree. lol

magutwit likes this.
    01-09-13 07:57 AM
    once again. if RIM was as big as apple then this thread wouldnt exist.
    RIM cant compete with apple at this stage. to think otherwise is pure delusions.
    ironically my whole point is about building rim up to that point.
    if bb10 was released back when the iphone was released rim could charge what they wanted.
    people need to realise RIM are minor league. stop quoting people in the big leagues as an example...

You are missing my point!! Apple wasn't that big when the iphone was launched. It wasn't until the launch of the iphone and the iphone 3g that Apple took off to be as huge as it is NOW.
    01-09-13 08:03 AM
    You are missing my point!! Apple wasn't that big when the iphone was launched. It wasn't until the launch of the iphone and the iphone 3g that Apple took off to be as huge as it is NOW.
    i added a response on the end of my last post. stupid bb was too slow in doing it tho.

but just a minor point. apple had a huge following from the ipod touch. the iphone is pretty much an ipod touch that can (sometimes if you hold it right) make phone calls.

the iphone launched to a far bigger fan base than blackberry currently have.

iphone has made apple into a huge company now tho.

01-09-13 08:08 AM
    i added a response on the end of my last post. stupid bb was too slow in doing it tho.

but just a minor point. apple had a huge following from the ipod touch. the iphone is pretty much an ipod touch that can (sometimes if you hold it right) make phone calls.

the iphone launched to a far bigger fan base than blackberry currently have. thanks to ipod and Macs etc

wow my 9810 is rebelling against me lol. i didnt ask it to quote myself :P

01-09-13 08:10 AM
    I say, if $600+ is too expensive for an "unproven" OS, don't buy it outright.
    A lot of people have no choice but to buy one outright.
    01-09-13 08:13 AM

the iphone launched to a far bigger fan base than blackberry currently have.

But still, the phone as I say will be between $550-$650CAD. Say $150 to make, plus a few hundred in back end money for marketing, production, shipping bla bla bla like what was mentioned already, and then the carriers then mark up their cost to make a tiny profit.

I used to work for Rogers. We made almost 0 commission on phones being bought outright. But the carriers do make their money on phones being bought outright.

So it's nothing to do with being delusional or being a RIM fanboy, it's being realistic. I have a feeling you are not wrapping your head around the idea of the background costs and the fact you keep seeing $700.... You need to let it go. We have 21 days until launch to find out.

please stop saying people like me are just loyalists and delusionalists and your glad that we don't work for RIM because we are not any of those. The ones that are arguing with you are the ones that are smart enough to know business and economics.

While I somewhat agree with what you are saying that RIM needs to come in cheaper then x amount of dollars because RIM isn't a #1 or #2 company, but the fact remains, there are costs built into the cost of the phone outright and it's impossible to be around the price points YOU think it should be.
    01-09-13 08:19 AM
    A lot of people have no choice but to buy one outright.
    And again, as i stated above, the price will be between $550 and $650. It's part of the price you pay to be an early adopter. I'm adding my gf on a new 2nd line to get my Z10. If i didn't have that option, I would either have paid the $330 on my Rogers Flex Tab to get my upgrade OR pay $xxx.xx for the phone outright. Be it, $500, 600 or $700!!
    01-09-13 08:23 AM
    But still, the phone as I say will be between $550-$650CAD. Say $150 to make, plus a few hundred in back end money for marketing, production, shipping bla bla bla like what was mentioned already, and then the carriers then mark up their cost to make a tiny profit.

I used to work for Rogers. We made almost 0 commission on phones being bought outright. But the carriers do make their money on phones being bought outright.

So it's nothing to do with being delusional or being a RIM fanboy, it's being realistic. I have a feeling you are not wrapping your head around the idea of the background costs and the fact you keep seeing $700.... You need to let it go. We have 21 days until launch to find out.

please stop saying people like me are just loyalists and delusionalists and your glad that we don't work for RIM because we are not any of those. The ones that are arguing with you are the ones that are smart enough to know business and economics.

While I somewhat agree with what you are saying that RIM needs to come in cheaper then x amount of dollars because RIM isn't a #1 or #2 company, but the fact remains, there are costs built into the cost of the phone outright and it's impossible to be around the price points YOU think it should be.
    i do have my mind on the background costs. but i also have my mind on what rim needs to do to succeed.
    if they did it purely the way you see it, theyll fail. maybe also the way i see it means failure too.
    but one thing is certain the need to grow is as important as the need to make a profit.
    i really hope the next device is the curve equivalent and not the aristo. a huge chunk of blackberrys 79 mill users are curve users and losing them will be disastarous.

01-09-13 01:55 PM
    i really hope the next device is the curve equivalent and not the aristo. a huge chunk of blackberrys 79 mill users are curve users and losing them will be disastarous.
    I agree with that thought.
    01-09-13 02:30 PM
    I think that became a certainty once bb10 slipped into 2013, we'll have the two launch devices showing up and then near the start of the summer we will get a bb10 curve with aristo pushing back to the end of the year most likely.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-10-13 03:29 AM
136 ... 456