saw on ndtv.com that the rumoured price for the z10 will be 700cad.
    if this is true then i am disappointed as it will seem RIM has learnt nothing.
    700cad rounded slightly up is 450gbp and to ask for that price for a completely unproven and untested platform is crazy.
    i am hoping the site was way off with that price.
    just for clarification they got the price based on a competition by a carrier, so there is no official word on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 06:03 AM
    Bell says the BlackBerry 10 Smartphones have an “Approx retail value $700.00 Cdn” | CrackBerry Forums
    They obviously just took it from this.
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 01-07-13 at 06:16 AM.
    01-07-13 06:05 AM
    seems so. i hope it is over the mark. 700 is too much. their goal should be to sell the z10 not maximise the profit from each sale

TrioGM likes this.
    01-07-13 06:14 AM
    That seems steep.....
    01-07-13 06:42 AM
    Obviously too many cheap playbooks..... if you look at the price of high end phones ie Iphone 5 starting at 699.95 for 16 gig..... Samusng 649.95 in Canada..... so if BB10 is suppose to be competition what is the issue.... guess some folks expects RIM to do ala Playbook for they can have a "deal"..... guess all the R&D.... production..... and marketing costs should be eaten by RIM.... we can have our deal..... RIM can go out of business and it becomes a moot point..... we can then wander into the "cheap" land of Android.... Those price concsious souls out there need to remember that what is being released initally is high end....RIM has already said there will be middle and lpw end units relased later this year.....most in the developing world need a "cheap" smartphone..... so the z10 is not targetied to them...maybe those who are "concerned" about price should cool there heels a bit and wait for the mid and low end phones....... never ceases to amaze me how people forget this is a business..... you pay a premium for being on "the bleeding edge"......
    01-07-13 07:06 AM
    No ones ever happy. iToys go for 8+ If the device is high end with good software, 700 is more than reasonable for off-contract pricing. This device is gonna be more powerful than my last few laptops, haha
    01-07-13 07:08 AM
    you want to price an unproven format to match a proven format and expect the unproven to win?
    apple devices has long had the reputation of being overpriced. dont be RIMsheeps.
    bb10 needs to sell. it wont if its priced the same as a galaxy s3 or iPhone 5.
    you actually think the average consumer will sit there and shell out for a platform they know hardly anything about, when for the same price they can get one all their friends and family have.
    bb10 can not compete with iphone 5 or the s3 straight out of the gate. they need to build up a user base before that happens.
    more people owned the s2 than they did the s1, likewise more will own the s3 then the number who owned the s2. Samsung built a reputation.
    blackberry at best have no reputation with bb10, or at worst blackberry have a bad reputation.
    so dont spout nonsense about competiting with the iphone or s3 when we're not even in the same league these days.

01-07-13 07:25 AM
    i mean RIM have acknowledged the importance of an ecosystem. what is the point of developing one if they wont try to attract anyone to it.
    550-600cad is a more appropriate price range.
    i think people here have gotten far to carried away in the hype and have forgotten the position RIM is in. blackberry 10 will change nothing for them if it doesnt sell in greater numbers then the os7 devices.

01-07-13 07:31 AM
    If RIM wants to attract more consumers to the BB10 platform, RIM have to sell the first smartphones in a low price, let's say from $300 to $500. Then, when RIM has a strong base, RIM can launch a premium smartphone.
    01-07-13 09:18 AM
    saw on ndtv.com that the rumoured price for the z10 will be 700cad.
    if this is true then i am disappointed as it will seem RIM has learnt nothing.
    700cad rounded slightly up is 450gbp and to ask for that price for a completely unproven and untested platform is crazy.
    i am hoping the site was way off with that price.
    just for clarification they got the price based on a competition by a carrier, so there is no official word on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 10:01 AM
    If RIM wants to attract more consumers to the BB10 platform, RIM have to sell the first smartphones in a low price, let's say from $300 to $500. Then, when RIM has a strong base, RIM can launch a premium smartphone.
    If each device,(including R&D, marketing, overhead, manufacturing, etc) is sold for a loss, you cannot make up the shortfall by volume.
    01-07-13 10:10 AM
    You guys have to keep in mind that, because this price is based on the Rules and Regulations of a contest, by law it has to include sales tax (13-percent in Ontario). So we're looking at around $600 before taxes. Someone has already mentioned this in another thread I believe.
    01-07-13 10:12 AM
    $549 to $599 (or $550 to $600) (pre-tax) would be a good starting price for BB 10 Z and X series. Closer to $550, the better. It's not so low that it will appear as a low-end device and it's not so high that it'll directly compete with somewhat proven OSes (iOS, Android)
    01-07-13 12:56 PM
    you do know this askign price is what carriers are sellign it for not what RIM is, for all we know RIMS askign prive could be $450 and the carrier is getting greedy because htye have faith that it will sell

it seems that people are ****ing idiots, you don't like it then don't buy it, if you later realise its incredible and you have to have it then you'll pay what it costs or regret getting something else
    01-07-13 01:00 PM
    If each device,(including R&D, marketing, overhead, manufacturing, etc) is sold for a loss, you cannot make up the shortfall by volume.
    I don't think anyone really want RIM to sell at cost or below.
    But I do want them to price their devices much more competitively than they have in the past. Even now a year old BBOS7 device are still a premium on most carriers. Right now on Verizon a Bold is $99 on contract, whereas a year old iPhone4 is Free on contract and Andriod has a number of device that are less than $99 with much better hardware. RIM needs to make a profit, but they also need to balance that with they need to sell device and expand the user base. If they start out as premium device, and they have to put them on sale after a couple of months of slow sales it will be too late and it won't matter how much profit they made on the devices they did sell. The first report of slow sales and the stock is going to drop, developers are going to disappear, and those business that took a "wait and see" position before upgrading to BB10 will go with their 2nd choice.

That said a $700 retail price is not the same as what it may cost when you go to the store. Who knows what rebates and other promotions that RIM has planned - I'm sure the PlayBook taught them a valuable lesson!
    01-07-13 01:22 PM
    as long as you sell it above variable cost, volume will take care of the rest.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 01:55 PM
    as long as you sell it above variable cost, volume will take care of the rest.

that is not a business plan for success, rather for disaster.
    RIM has to sell BB10 first and then charge whatever they need,
    dropping the price to make up for a poor product or for a poor selling job will be the end for RIM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-07-13 02:08 PM
    Seems to me it�s up to the carriers isn't it?? I know there are a million analysts out there hoping RIM can get 450.00 from the carriers so if you are asked to pay 700.00 for an off contract device I would simply go shop elsewhere. At minimum be questioning the asking price�never understood why carriers feel so entitled to device markup, in my opinion access fees , plan fee�s, minute fee�s billing fee and environmental fee�s should suffice. Modest mark-up is fine but not in the 200+ dollars per unit range.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    01-07-13 02:18 PM
    Another thing to remember about that Bell contest, is that there may be accessories included with the prize phones that are being factored into the price.

It's a poor data point to base too much speculation on.
    mcmolineux and magutwit like this.
    01-07-13 02:24 PM
    I think Apple's COGS is around $300 for the iPhone. RIM's COGS may be a bit higher due to smaller volumes. The lower end of that $300 to $500 range would probably result in minimal margins per device. The higher end of that range may be reasonable though, at least as their price for carriers.
    01-07-13 02:25 PM
    how much are playbooks (which are due to receive bb10) going for again? $200? right, they have 1gb of ram less etc.

assuming z10 sells for 700. you are paying a 500 premium for phone capabilities, 1gb more ram, and a smaller screen.

CDM76 likes this.
    01-07-13 02:31 PM
    how much are playbooks (which are due to receive bb10) going for again? $200? right, they have 1gb of ram less etc.

assuming z10 sells for 700. you are paying a 500 premium for phone capabilities, 1gb more ram, and a smaller screen.

That's an awful comparison, seeing as PlayBook's are reportedly being sold at a loss right now, not to mention the differences go beyond what you just mentioned.
    01-07-13 02:47 PM
    you do know this askign price is what carriers are sellign it for not what RIM is, for all we know RIMS askign prive could be $450 and the carrier is getting greedy because htye have faith that it will sell
    Canadian carriers set their retail prices higher so they can justify their expensive plans and locking people into 3 year contracts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 03:01 PM

The PlayBook's bill of materials cost was estimated at $271. Transportation, warranty, assembly, etc.. adds another $90 based on Apple's financials. So you're looking at $361 COGS. Typical margins would be around 30%. If RIM wanted to make those margins, they would sell it at $520, and the retailers would have their own markup on top of that. That would be the appropriate comparison to the Z10 if you are looking at relative pricing. At $200, RIM is losing a lot of money on each PlayBook.
    01-07-13 03:08 PM
    you want to price an unproven format to match a proven format and expect the unproven to win?
    apple devices has long had the reputation of being overpriced. dont be RIMsheeps.
    bb10 needs to sell. it wont if its priced the same as a galaxy s3 or iPhone 5.
    you actually think the average consumer will sit there and shell out for a platform they know hardly anything about, when for the same price they can get one all their friends and family have.
    bb10 can not compete with iphone 5 or the s3 straight out of the gate. they need to build up a user base before that happens.
    more people owned the s2 than they did the s1, likewise more will own the s3 then the number who owned the s2. Samsung built a reputation.
    blackberry at best have no reputation with bb10, or at worst blackberry have a bad reputation.
    so dont spout nonsense about competiting with the iphone or s3 when we're not even in the same league these days.

This to the tee. Not many folks unless diehard BB faithful would pay that much on an unproven platform, well the OS anyway....they will get the next greatest Android or middle of the road or Apple.

These things need to come down in price if they want to compete and even make a dent.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    01-07-13 03:12 PM
136 123 ...