Hi everybody,
    i have a z10 with a Swisscom sim card, with my plan i have unlimited data usage in switzerland and 200 MB in roaming. Yesterday i flew to Italy, where i use to go twice a month, and i noticed in the "Swisscom cockpit" that in less than 24 hours i used 30 MB...
    I have no applications installed (except the standard apps) i didn't use the browser, i received only 2/3 emails, sent some bbm and nothing else.
    The question is: That means that with an average use of 50MB per day we can go abroad only for max 4 days in a month?

Did anybody experience the same issue and found a solution for that?
    Thanks.
    g.
    03-02-13 04:33 AM
    In settings you can request to turn on prompts for data when roaming so you know if it's running also if possible use wifi and turn off data services in settings as well. Most carriers offer roaming one time data services if need be. Hope that helps.

CB10- z10
    03-02-13 05:43 AM
    Also make sure you look carefully at your applications permissions and edit them so the only ones you allow to access the Internet and data services are allowed. Turn off gps and location services and data in the settings. That also will use up data in running apps. That should help as well.

CB10- z10
    03-02-13 05:47 AM
    Hi, thanks a lot for the answer.
    I think that those things could help, but the main issue is still there. I mean i would like to use the data service abroad and i'm talking about the fact that with the 9900 i had the same settings (applications, location services etc.) and i never had more than 1 or 2 mb per day of data usage. With the Z10 i'm at about 40 MB after 19 hours, i think that the way the device uses the connection must be different and it needs to exchange more data than the previous BB OS. I really don't know why, i think is not a matter of BIS compression considering that i didn't send any big file or received. The only thing i tried to do is under the preferences of the two email accounts that i have, now i have sync every 24h instead of 15 min with active sync on.
    thanks.
    g
    03-02-13 06:06 AM
    You can't compare your data usage from the past using the older Blackberries and BIS compression with the new Z10.

A valid comparison would be with another similar smartphone using the same data usage and data infrastructure. Ex. Vs a IPhone or a Galaxy S3.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 07:44 AM
    Yes, and in some regions that made our "global" data plans redundant. I have a global plan. Makes no sense anymore as global data roaming that used to be unlimited with BIS is no with the Z10 reduced to 20MB per month, that's a laugh. So my carrier is loosing money as I will switch to the local unlimited contract.
    03-02-13 07:55 AM
    Hi Guys,
    that's really a joke that BB as a biz phone provide only an ON or OFF function for roaming. Not like other phones the chance to say >>> download headers only or max x kbit !
    I used my new Z10 for one trip abroad and got after the first day a warning from my provider that my 20 MB monthly data plan got drained :-(
    I switched data use only on for some seconds until my email were synced and after 4 times 20MB were gone.
    No data monitor is on the phone....no application for that on the market either.
    So my Z 10 is in a dark drawer now and my N8 is back in the game.
    If BB is coming not up with a solution for this I need to ditch the Z10 - which will be a pity as I really liked some features of it !
    But as a frequent traveler I need to manage my roaming usage.

Anybody know if BB will come up with something ???

PS:
    If I read posts here which suggest to switch data usage completely off >>> WHY SHOULD I BUY A BB PHONE ???
    So please spare me with posts like that.
    03-28-13 10:20 AM
    Hi Guys,
    I used my new Z10 for one trip abroad and got after the first day a warning from my provider that my 20 MB monthly data plan got drained :-(
    I switched data use only on for some seconds until my email were synced and after 4 times 20MB were gone.
    No data monitor is on the phone....no application for that on the market either.
    My carrier preloaded an app that allows me to monitor my data usage. Perhaps ask your carrier for a monitor.

I agree roaming charges are a rip off especially when traveling outside North America but that is not BB's fault.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    03-28-13 11:03 AM