And let's face it most of the returns are those die hard keyboard guys tried os 10 on the z10 here's the q10 around the corner time to return and get the q10
    04-11-13 07:58 PM
    Scribacco....I can see from your past comments that you are a troll. You fail to say that the 500,000-60,0000 units were sold in the quarter was based on one month sale in UK and 3 weeks of sale in Canada. Since then, the Z10 was launched in 30 other countries so the Q4 units sale figures is not truly reflective on future sales. What is your motive?
    His motive? - Troll along with admorris
    04-11-13 08:00 PM
    I read this too. There is a message here for Blackberry marketing. There is a learning curve for those coming from any other platform. BB must make that easy for those not devoted to Blackberry. It took me about 3 days, spending a lot of time with the Z10, before I reached the point that I was comfortable with it. Now I really like it - baring the very serious email server incompatibility which remains unfixed.

The Z10 does not work like the iPhones/Android or the old Blackberry. On first touch it is not always clear just how to make it work. So at the store, people pick it up and swipe or look for a button to push. If it does not immediately respond with something they can intuitively relate to then they decide against using it more. They don't want something that makes them look dumb or something that does not appear to do something they understand. With a row of 20 or so similar looking devices on display, they quickly move to the next one.

The Playbook had a similar problem. One had to swipe up to get it to work but there was nothing on the display to tell people that (for the first year or so). The sales people typically don't know much about the various devices and were of little help. So people just dismissed it out of hand with "it does not work."

Blackberry can't count of the carriers sales people to fill this gap. BB Marketing needs to find a way to fill the gap itself. Perhaps they need to modify the UI a bit. With the large body of entrenched iPhone users, it is a challenge for BB to get people to invest the time to figure this thing out.

An unfortunate issue with BB is that traditionally they depended on company IT groups to handle the training of employees as well as configuration and so on. When BB started marketing directly to the public with the Playbook, they missed the boat because they did not have that IT buffer to smooth over the rough edges. Lets hope they are not repeating that mistake here.
    Interesting line.... I've noticed that I can't get my company email to work on the z10 even though it worked/works perfectly on my 9930...this is a documented issue?
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    04-11-13 08:05 PM
    I don't believe it...the Z 10 is a great product. If people just be open and give it a chance they will be pleasantly surprised!
    04-11-13 08:16 PM
    You Yankees got a response for every thing and your financial dim wits when the numbers aren't going there way they make them up as they go. The real story is earnings day every thing in between is a bunch of bull ****.
    04-11-13 08:33 PM
    I really wish that BlackBerry would manage the news cycle. There are lessons to be had fro watching how Apple does it, for sure, but cripes, this is a Canadian company, and it's long been shown that Canadians know how to advertise.
    04-11-13 08:39 PM
    As much as I respect Bloomberg, the story is quite poorly sourced and is pretty much on the level as anecdotal. It means little for now.
    04-11-13 08:40 PM
    Trying to make sense of this article.

The Z10 has been available in other markets since January 30. We have not seen any reports of mass returns in any of those markets.

Is the US so different than everywhere else, that users can't figure out the device and return it?

It's too bad those so called 'analysts' can't easily be held accountable for the notes they release.
    04-11-13 09:21 PM
    Q10 will have those share prices back up quite quickly.

Further, it's no surprise there's a ton of returns. General cell phone consumers are stupid and blame their inability to do (this) or (that) on the phone, when it's probably easily worked around. How many of those people updated their OS before complaining about battery life, do you think? Not only that, I'm sooooo sick of people talking about a lack of apps - this is a well established fact, if apps are that important, don't get a BB10 device (yet). Simple!

The fact is BB10 is a new experience with some early-software hiccups, a learning curve that's very different to Apple/Android, and a very pathetic catalogue of apps at present. Some returns are to be expected. BB can learn from those consumer's complaints and continue to better their product, as they have been since the Jan 30th launch.
    04-11-13 09:36 PM
    Spoke with our AT&T Rep today and asked him how the Z10 was doing in Seattle......
    ...He told me the main issue with returns were people from other 'established' platforms.
    ...And their expecting the Apps they were familiar with to be on the device.

People have been positive about the Z10 U.I......
    ...It's about the Apps.

A blackberry user will know the Apps on the Z10 are, as we say, "a lick and a promise"......
    ...Your average Droid or iphone user will not know this.
    ...They will expect to immediately start to use those Apps that are on both Android and I.O.S.
    ....Then they feel they got rhubarbed when realize they simply are not there.
    04-11-13 10:03 PM
    can you back up your option please?
    these numbers look like pulled out of an hat to me
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...252725470.html

In his answer to the 2nd last question, the Samsung exec says they've sold 50 million S3s so far. The phone was released in July 2012 so assuming that the 50 million covers sales up to Feb 28 2013, that's 6.25 million units per month or 18.75 million per quarter. Not as earth shattering as what the OP posted but still pretty impressive when you consider those are GS3s only, a $600 phone. It doesn't include sales of the Galaxy S2, which are still being sold in many markets worldwide.

I don't know about Apple, as they don't break down sales of the IP4, 4S and 5 separately.

Samsung will announce full quarterly results at the end of April so that might shed more light on how man have been sold. Its interesting that Samsung hasn't said much about Note 2 sales after announcing that they hit 5 million a few months ago. Seeing as how the Note 1 sold 10 million, I'd think the 2 would have done better as it certainly got better reviews.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD
    04-11-13 10:18 PM
    I agree. I am on my second z10 in two weeks. Had the rebooting and ghost auto start issue with phone #1. How to drop the keyboard to get to an attachment button was driving me to want to return this one when the rim agent explained you MUST drag Straight down on the key board not the edge or above it.

Blackberry needs a good course on Marketing, doesnt matter how good the phone is if you cant figure it out. CAN YOU SAY NEXT!
    04-11-13 10:32 PM
    How about you suck my jubblies. I'm sure they have better things to do than get rocked with phone calls over return rates of a phone.
    Sort of sucks when you get called out and you can't produce. Don't worry, we'll forget your useless babble soon enough. LOL
    rotorwrench and BBPandy like this.
    04-11-13 10:48 PM
    Premium phone?? It is selling on Amazon for $99! That is not a premium phone. With it's dirth of software it is more like a flip phone.
    04-11-13 10:50 PM
    BlackBerry is only intended for certain people and BlackBerry knows that!.. It's all about BlackBerry's reputation.. they haven't really prevailed lately in the recent past so people get the same idea and don't give it a chance.. Most of the people that use a BlackBerry are die hard fans and they stick with BlackBerry even though it does have flaws.. Canada has great BlackBerry sales because that's where it originates from. The iPhone is successful in the U.S. because it was founded in California.

Also I think BB10 is great!.. but it still has a long way to go. It's like a fast car with old features.. It needs to be modernized! The apps still aren't there and that's the problem..
    04-11-13 10:52 PM
    in the Summer/Fall 2012 I was willing to give the new CMO guy Boulben a shot....but it's very clear now....he's WORSE than the losers before him.
    Forget returns....I'm concerned that 83% had NO IDEA that BB10 even existed. I've tried to think of marketing failures from the past to compare to this, and I seriously can't think of anything....I mean, this is historic.
    Of course, many here on the forums have pointed out for months that friends and family have never heard of BB10 and some even think BB is out of business. Frank Boulben + BB marketing team = worst marketing in corporate history. Seriously, these guys will be case studies for all marketing students in the future
    04-11-13 10:58 PM
    Spoke with our AT&T Rep today and asked him how the Z10 was doing in Seattle......
    ...He told me the main issue with returns were people from other 'established' platforms.
    ...And their expecting the Apps they were familiar with to be on the device.

People have been positive about the Z10 U.I......
    ...It's about the Apps.

A blackberry user will know the Apps on the Z10 are, as we say, "a lick and a promise"......
    ...Your average Droid or iphone user will not know this.
    ...They will expect to immediately start to use those Apps that are on both Android and I.O.S.
    ....Then they feel they got rhubarbed when realize they simply are not there.
    Yeah so much for all those REO Speedwagon covers huh? I can't figure out which is worse.....the apps situation or the marketing....amazing failures....it really just has me awestruck
    04-11-13 11:11 PM
    Originally Posted by rotorwrench
    I'm with the other poster, give us the name or location of that store. I'll call and if they verify, I'll eat crow right here and retract me calling BS Troll.

How about you suck my jubblies. I'm sure they have better things to do than get rocked with phone calls over return rates of a phone.
    Yeah, thought so.
    04-11-13 11:14 PM
    [QUOTE=pjstock42;8298167]Please, don't shoot the messenger. Just wanted to post this here and see what people's thoughts on this are.

BlackBerry Falls on Reports of Weakening Sales, Returns of Z10 - Bloomberg

�The U.S. launch of the Z10 started poorly and weakened significantly as the days passed,� Joseph Fersedi, an analyst at ITG Investment Research, said today in a note, citing information from independent dealers. Some U.S. retailers are seeing a significant increase in customers returning their Z10s because they find the interface unintuitive, Detwiler Fenton & Co. said today.
    �In several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before,� Detwiler Fenton said.

Thoughts?[/QUO

that does not surprise me after 3 weeks of trying to find out why my "print to go" does not work - nobody at telus support or blackberry support were there to help me to find the problem without me paying for that - after a whole lots of phone call between those 2 I have to come at the conclusion that the BB10 is not worth it anymore cause of the poor support. That being said I have no choice to keep it for now, cause I am locked under contract for 3 years - thinking very hard here to sell the phone now
    04-11-13 11:50 PM
    If you're so worried about it you shouldn't be playing on the stock market - I only ever put in amounts that I CAN afford to lose as there are no guarantees when it comes to the stock market - You take the losses with the rewards.
    Don't worry I'm a big boy. No need to lecture. My point is still valid.
    04-12-13 12:00 AM
    I read the article and all the posts and have come to the conclusion that I am RETURNING my Z10 for the following reasons:

1) I have tried using it for two weeks but it is just TOO difficult. My hands get tired of swiping up, swiping down, swiping left and right. Too much! I want a BUTTON. Just GIVE me a BUTTON.

2) My Z10 restarts and it also gets hot when I play Nova 3 and run my Aerodynamic simulations. This would NEVER happen on an Android or iPhone. NEVER. No other phone in the history of phones has EVER restarted. Not even once. Fail RIM Fail!

3) No Instagram

4) Crapberry just barely made a profit. This company is going DOWN. I would much rather buy phones from highly profitable companies like Nokia and HTC. These companies have NEVER had a loss. EVER.

5) No Skype. This is a MUST.

6) People are returning phones because they are defective or they don't like them. This has NEVER happened EVER. Not since the Big Bang have we seen such a crazy PHENOMENON.

7) No Netflix. I NEED to watch Hunger Games on my phone's screen. No other screen does the movie justice.

8) No BIS. EVERY other phone in the market has BIS. Get on it RIM!

Thanks guys!

Nice knowing all of you but I think my new phone will be the Samsung Galaxy Mega. 4.2 inches screen is just TOO small. I prefer 6.3 inches, anything else is just TINY. Also it has 24 cores, 10 Ghz processor, 6 GB RAM, 100 ULTRA megapixel camera, and can turn on my TV and Microwave, and cook waffles (the Swedish kind).

Goodbye.....
    Sheeeeet

Posted via CB10
    AjaxMilanBarcaSC likes this.
    04-12-13 12:45 AM
    Premium phone?? It is selling on Amazon for $99! That is not a premium phone. With it's dirth of software it is more like a flip phone.
    I phone 4s is free on some carriers... i don't get your logic.

Galaxy S 3 and iPhone 5 are free on some carriers with trade in, but both of those phones are apparently better than Z10... but better phones cost more. Logic Fail!

Posted via CB10
    BerryWizard likes this.
    04-12-13 12:51 AM
    These are the exact reasons why BlackBerry is not as successful as the competition... It may be a nice phone, but when you really look at it, it has nothing to offer that other platforms don't.. It just has a cool way of doing things, but it can only do so many things.. It needs all the major applications! Skype, Instagram, Netflix etc.. (Android Ported versions aren't the same...)

I read the article and all the posts and have come to the conclusion that I am RETURNING my Z10 for the following reasons:

1) I have tried using it for two weeks but it is just TOO difficult. My hands get tired of swiping up, swiping down, swiping left and right. Too much! I want a BUTTON. Just GIVE me a BUTTON.

2) My Z10 restarts and it also gets hot when I play Nova 3 and run my Aerodynamic simulations. This would NEVER happen on an Android or iPhone. NEVER. No other phone in the history of phones has EVER restarted. Not even once. Fail RIM Fail!

3) No Instagram

4) Crapberry just barely made a profit. This company is going DOWN. I would much rather buy phones from highly profitable companies like Nokia and HTC. These companies have NEVER had a loss. EVER.

5) No Skype. This is a MUST.

6) People are returning phones because they are defective or they don't like them. This has NEVER happened EVER. Not since the Big Bang have we seen such a crazy PHENOMENON.

7) No Netflix. I NEED to watch Hunger Games on my phone's screen. No other screen does the movie justice.

8) No BIS. EVERY other phone in the market has BIS. Get on it RIM!

Thanks guys!

Nice knowing all of you but I think my new phone will be the Samsung Galaxy Mega. 4.2 inches screen is just TOO small. I prefer 6.3 inches, anything else is just TINY. Also it has 24 cores, 10 Ghz processor, 6 GB RAM, 100 ULTRA megapixel camera, and can turn on my TV and Microwave, and cook waffles (the Swedish kind).

Goodbye.....
    04-12-13 01:02 AM
    You can�t assume they sold a million. The CEO said they shipped close to a million and sold � of those.
    This has been addressed earlier, but to answer you, I think we can assume that most of that 1 million were sold because at the time there were shortages & lots of retailers sold out of Z10's. The CEO DID say that they have sold about � of the shipped Z10's. However when he was saying that, he was talking about the sales up to when he said it. He was not talking about last quarter's sales. Sales; just like many other things are fluid. You can not take stat's from one period, combine them with another period, & expect accurate results.
    04-12-13 01:06 AM
    Hard to use???? Steep learning curve??? My three year old daughter can use my phone! Smarter than a three year old!? You sir are not!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 01:35 AM
247 ... 678910