So I've noticed that Z10 chassis...es have started showing up on ebay. I'm experiencing a mild sense of Buyer's Remorse, having picked up the black instead of the white, and I'm curious about how involved it would be to move the internals from one housing to another.

Reading the iFixit review makes it seem fairly simple, I'm mostly concerned about damaging the screen when removing the adhesive keeping it together, and tearing ribbon connectors.

Has anyone done this yet? I'd rather not break my $600 phone, but it looks relatively simple.

Edited to correct the spelling of "chassis". Can't edit the title from CB10?
    Last edited by Baconwich; 05-26-13 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Trying to fix a typo in the title
    SDTRMG and FrankIAm like this.
    05-06-13 06:47 PM
    Although to be fair, I was also considering grabbing the DBrand skin to throw on there, and that would look better on the black, I think.

If it's likely I'm going to snap something super important maybe I'll avoid doing it. I blame iFixit, mostly, for making me feel like "I could totally do that!".
    05-06-13 06:53 PM
    Also, what is the difference between the A Chasis and the B Chasis?
    05-06-13 07:00 PM
    Since I don't know you or your technical expertise, I wont say either way if you should attempt it or not.
    Instead, check out the video on the link below. It will walk you thru the entire tear down process step-by-step. You can then make the decision if you are up to it or not.

How to Replace BlackBerry Z10 LCD Display and Digitizer (Video) - N4BB
    05-06-13 07:05 PM
    Looks fairly simple, but I would probably only do this if I really have to.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:26 PM
    Fairly certain I could manage this, watching a few teardown videos. There's nothing super terribly involved, apart from removing a little adhesive here and there.

Just need to figure out whether I'd need the A Type or B Type to go with my 100-3.
    05-06-13 07:30 PM
    Change the 'chasis' ...
    void your warranty?
    Duh!
    Ya broke it .. now what?
    05-06-13 08:35 PM
    That's a surprisingly good point, that I actually hadn't considered. I don't usually get my phones brand new, so haven't had to worry about warranties in a while.

Normally I wouldn't worry: I baby my phones (except for when I'm violating their internals), but until that reboot issue is proven to be anything but a hardware issue...

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 08:45 PM
    One chassis will be for the stl100-1, the other will be for the rest.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:07 PM
    Any idea which is which? I assume the A will be for the 100-1.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:11 PM
    Have you guys looked at the photos?
    The SIM slot placement is different, just look at the back of your phones.

I'm so tempted to buy a black one, because I regret white so bad!
    05-06-13 09:19 PM
    You are smart. Looks like the B Type is for the 100-1, and I want the A Type for my 100-3.

Shipping's a pain, though. $20 on top of $43 for the parts for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 10:03 PM
    Have you guys looked at the photos?
    The SIM slot placement is different, just look at the back of your phones.

I'm so tempted to buy a black one, because I regret white so bad!
    Not that I regret buying the white one, I just kinda wish I could swap out the chasis when I feel like it.

Posted via CB10
    mapsonburt likes this.
    05-06-13 11:03 PM
    Yeah, I don't actually regret buying Black(it was the only colour Fido had, anyways), I just kinda want a white one too.

Always wanted a white iPhone 4, back in the day. The white Z10 looks even better. Black might still look better under the coloured skins...

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 11:31 PM
    Anyways, just ordered a white chassis. I guess we'll see how clever I really am.

At the very least, I'll be sure to share the results, for anyone who might be interested.

Posted via CB10
    danfrancisco likes this.
    05-07-13 12:54 AM
    Please do report back!
    05-07-13 06:33 AM
    Yeah, I don't actually regret buying Black(it was the only colour Fido had, anyways), I just kinda want a white one too.

Always wanted a white iPhone 4, back in the day. The white Z10 looks even better. Black might still look better under the coloured skins...

Posted via CB10
    I'm presuming you bought your phone through fido. When I called they had white. Strange, did you bug in store or did fido only have white for a limited time? Anyways, good luck with your new chasi.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 06:52 AM
    Hmm. The guy at the store didn't even know they came in white. Plus mine was the last one they had, and they almost sent me across the city to another location before they found it hiding in the back.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 02:35 PM
    I'm calling out the op here. Any news?
    I'd be super happy with a Black Z.

Also, it doesn't seem like it includes a back plate..
    05-12-13 10:12 AM
    Well, it's still shipping, so I have to wait. Which sucks.

Waiting sucks.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    05-12-13 12:00 PM
    They estimated 20-25 days for delivery, and it's been about 6, so it could still be a couple of weeks.
    05-12-13 12:43 PM
    There are lots of differences that you may not notice which could impact your phones function.

For example, the lcd type from your phone might not work well with a different chassis. I'll give you an example, once I replaced my 9900 bezel and had issues with the screen being dimmed at 50% regardless if I set it to 100%. That's because the bezel ribbon cable was of the 01 type and my lcd cable was and lcd were 02. While it did work the parts were not compatible.

Another difference is the antennas, speaker parts and locations of copper tape line ups. It's very difficult to match all these things with another part. I have taken apart many phones and found all sorts of small differences. One of the biggest problems in found is when you have to peel off copper taped parts. They usually rip and you ruin the adhesive properties meaning it won't stick to the other part. These are very tricky things to do and I don't recommend you disassemble your phone.

In addition, nobody can sell you an oem part on ebay unless that part has been taken from another phone. You are more than likely buying an after market part that will not be the same as an oem part.

Hope this helps

I buy broken phones and sell their working parts on ebay as well. All my parts are oem because they are taken from phones. I do not have any z10 parts yet because no one has listed and broken z10's locally.

I am an electrical engineer in ontario and this is my side hobby. I fully restore phones as well. With only oem parts taken from other phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 12:58 PM
    Totally agree with zten. Although almost all sellers advertise OEM it really isn't, I know first hand when replacing my previous bold 9900 parts. As zten mentioned the real OEM would be taken from another 600 dollar Z10 and so would they have an abundance of those sitting around to ship to you for 20-40? Unlikely, and has at least been proven to me in the past.

On a side note I believe their is only one screen model so you don't have to worry about that for the Z10 although I would double check.

EDIT: I was wrong two screen versions, but since you aren't replacing the screen connected to motherboard, you should have no problems there.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 01:07 PM
    Dude, you are ruining the fun.
    05-12-13 07:00 PM
    Dude, you are ruining the fun.
    If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That being said I don't See a valid reason for anyone to take apart a fully functional device and risk not installing functional parts on it. Unless they have or of money and don't really care.

In my opinion if you don't like the color of your device, I noticed on my local Kijiji adds several people offering to trad et heir white for a black and vice versa. That would be a more logical and easier route to pursue.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 07:18 PM
98 123 ...