Weeeeeeeeeelllllp, I moved everything over to the new body, and got a red LED when I inserted the battery. Good sign. The phone doesn't appear to turn on, however. So I moved everything back into the black chassis, suspecting a bad power button or some such. Looks like that isn't the case.

The phone is, however, being detected by my computer, and I'm getting a red flashing LED from an email I just sent myself. So either I did not connect the screen properly, or I have broken it. Seems that over-tightening the screws causes the little metal bits they screw into to come right out, which... isn't good.

No visible cracks or anything. Just isn't turning on. Might not be connected properly. Going to give it a further poke.
    05-19-13 12:27 AM
    I hope it's not properly connected, because the screen ain't cheap! You should post pics . Man, those damn ribbon cables can be fragile.
    05-19-13 12:57 AM
    Z10 replacement chasis-flex.jpg

Yup. That's the flex cable gone. Looking closely, the tear has nicked just one connector. Balls.

Let this stand as a cautionary tale. Be bloody careful with those damn ribbon cables!

Time to start pricing out replacement screens.
    05-19-13 01:33 AM
    On the plus side, the phone (minus the screen) works, so barring user error, it would appear that swapping a black chassis for a white one is definitely doable.

I'm going to go hide in a corner and be embarrassed until my replacement screen gets here.
    05-19-13 01:41 AM
    Jesus Bro.. well, let me tell you something.
    The first time I opened up a curve I broke it!
    **** happens!

So.. the parts did fit, right? Nothing loose upon reassembly ?
    05-19-13 01:58 AM
    Everything seems to line up in either chassis. Can't do any really thorough testing until I get my hands on a replacement screen. How nice would it be if I could just buy a replacement ribbon cable...
    05-19-13 02:09 AM
    Everything seems to line up in either chassis. Can't do any really thorough testing until I get my hands on a replacement screen. How nice would it be if I could just buy a replacement ribbon cable...
    Wish it was that easy lol, maybe you can try and Dr the ribbon cable? Nothing to lose really at this point lol

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 08:39 AM
    Wish it was that easy lol, maybe you can try and Dr the ribbon cable? Nothing to lose really at this point lol

Posted via CB10
    What he said. From my experience, you can't, but it's worth a shot!
    05-19-13 09:37 AM
    Lol.. improper dis assembly I see prying marks on the bottom of the lcd near the ribbon cable looks like you used a screw driver to pry...

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 09:44 AM
    I applaud you for giving it the ole college try! Ignore the naysayers... it's your z10 so you can do with it whatever you wish. It would be a totally different story if you were crying and complaining on this thread about how you've toasted your device. Instead you're recognising the risks and taking ownership of the outcome. Kudos to you and hopefully you'll be able to track down a replacement screen for a good price!

Posted via CB10
    Vector-SS likes this.
    05-19-13 09:45 AM
    Lol.. improper dis assembly I see prying marks on the bottom of the lcd near the ribbon cable looks like you used a screw driver to pry...

Posted via CB10
    The Chassis replacement came with two blue plastic prying tools, which are all I used, except in a couple of situations where I used my slightly too long, indestructible thumbnails...

I think this happened while feeding the cable through the case. There's a lot of turning the cable around going on, and a slight tug while it's not lined up properly could spell the end of the cable.
    05-19-13 10:13 AM
    Well, I just ordered my black frame and back plate! Wish me luck!
    05-19-13 09:54 PM
    Oh dear, I hope I haven't set a poor example for others. Be careful!

(might have been quicker to just trade phones. =P)
    05-19-13 11:06 PM
    We're do you get a new z10 screen

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 11:31 PM
    My Phone has a slight not visible dent and two very small scuffs on each corner. All from a single drop. So trading phones is a no go.

For the screen dude, etrade supply is a good source, there is also eBay.
    Gotta watch out for the screen model, tough.
    05-19-13 11:42 PM
    Picked up the parts from the post orifice just now.

Working 2-10 today, noon-10 tomorrow, and 3pm to 7am sunday/monday (doubles, blech). If I'm not dead on my feet tired I'll give it a go Monday afternoon. Don't want to do anything exhausted.

Went the riskier route and went with an eBay seller, on account of shipping from the US to Canada being inexplicably more expensive. Everything looks alright, but I'll give it a more thorough poke when I get in tonight around midnight.

Posted via CB10
    Post "orifice"?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 11:45 PM
    Gotta watch out for the screen model, tough.
    I'm assuming the Type-2 goes with the 100-1, just like the Type B Chassis? My 100-3 screen is a type 1.

We'll see how quick their (etrade's) shipping is. Already have the confirmation email, and they said 5-6 days. Monday's a holiday here in Canada, but that shouldn't affect shipping from outside the country unless it's already reached Canadian borders by then, so I'm hopeful it arrives by Friday: coincidentally my only proper day off this week.

Until then I'm on my Galaxy Nexus, and oddly missing the CB10 app, keyboard, and oddly the smoothness of the OS (despite 4.2.2's butter).
    05-19-13 11:47 PM
    I'd be interested in buying a damaged chassis from someone, I don't care the colour or condition I want one to work on an indutive charging project for my Z10...PM if you've got one.....
    05-20-13 12:09 PM
    We're do you get a new z10 screen

Posted via CB10
    Www dot truesupplier dot com

You will find most cellphone parts there, i have purchased a few products from that site, they are pretty reasonable prices but shipping is slow

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:07 PM
    Anyone know where to get the warranty screw cover, I used to get the for bolds, torches, etc... but they are like blue or something. And before I get people all worked up, this isn't to try and fraud anyone, and I'm not switching screens or a chassis.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 04:21 PM
    Www dot truesupplier dot com

You will find most cellphone parts there, i have purchased a few products from that site, they are pretty reasonable prices but shipping is slow

Posted via CB10
    I am loving some of the colours that they have for the iPhone 5 mid-frame and back.
    05-20-13 06:33 PM
    Post "orifice"?

Posted via CB10
    That does appear to be what I wrote.
    05-21-13 01:30 AM
    after retirement you can open your own mobile repair shop... i'm sure by that time you would have had enough experience to polish off your skills...
    good luck on your project and do keep us posted...
    05-21-13 02:56 AM
    after retirement you can open your own mobile repair shop... i'm sure by that time you would have had enough experience to polish off your skills...
    good luck on your project and do keep us posted...
    I actually am considering that. See, when I came to Mexico I was amazed by the fact that people put their own business and charge like 40$ for something so basic like an OS update.
    05-21-13 07:19 AM
    Cell repair places have the highest failure rate partly because people that start them have no business experience and aren't even certified to work on electronics repairs. Remember just because you can remove 6 screws from a blackberry doesn't qualify you to repair a plethora of devices. Charging someone $40 for an os reload is a scam not a good business practice. In addition mobile devices are evolving way to quickly for most cell repair places to keep up with part supply, as a result the overheard costs increase and there is a lot of money wasted. Let's say I knew someone who tried this.

Lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 07:23 AM
98 1234