If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That being said I don't See a valid reason for anyone to take apart a fully functional device and risk not installing functional parts on it. Unless they have or of money and don't really care.

In my opinion if you don't like the color of your device, I noticed on my local Kijiji adds several people offering to trad et heir white for a black and vice versa. That would be a more logical and easier route to pursue.

Posted via CB10
    Because, I can and I want. I've never broke a device in my life. If the parts don't work, then I put the original ones back. If I break it, yes, I can afford a new one.

I can't trade if for a black one, because here nobody has a Z10. Besides, mine has a small dent on the top right corner.
    05-12-13 07:23 PM
    Anyways, just ordered a white chassis. I guess we'll see how clever I really am.

At the very least, I'll be sure to share the results, for anyone who might be interested.

Posted via CB10
    I'd be interested in reading your updates once you pierce that sticker seal to get to the screws!

I used to swap out parts all the time on my previous Bolds and Curves and may want to tinker around with my Z10 after a year of breaking it in (I have a black one that's already got a couple of nicks on it) so reading a fellow Crackhead's experiences will be very helpful.

Please update the thread once you've completed your surgery and be sure to post pics of your work!

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 09:09 PM
    Where were all you nay-sayers last week to talk me down with your perfectly rational arguments BEFORE I made the decision. =P

I'm not necessarily doing this because I think it's a good idea. I mostly want to know that I can. I had Android running on my iPhone 3G years ago for the same reason.

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as far as slightly dented phone goes. The leather pouch doesn't really cover the top corners all that well. It'd be nice to know that I have options, should something break.

In any event, if the piece I get IS broken, it's not likely to permanently damage my phone, is it? Worst case scenario (barring "...oops."), I just put it back the way it was?

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    05-12-13 10:44 PM
    I've read on various CB forums that the white Z10 is a smidge bigger than the black. Some folks have mentioned how certain tight fitting cases have scratched up the corners of their white Z10s while black owners are reporting no such issues. This obviously isn't a problem with the battery door as there's been plenty written about the oreo z10 but I'm wondering if this will impact the drill holes on the chassis and frame when swapping out parts.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 07:29 AM
    Match you sim/sd card slot. Those are the two prominent changes between chassis.
    05-13-13 07:33 AM
    I know it's been 4 days, but.. any news, OP?
    05-16-13 05:09 PM
    Picked up the parts from the post orifice just now.

Working 2-10 today, noon-10 tomorrow, and 3pm to 7am sunday/monday (doubles, blech). If I'm not dead on my feet tired I'll give it a go Monday afternoon. Don't want to do anything exhausted.

Went the riskier route and went with an eBay seller, on account of shipping from the US to Canada being inexplicably more expensive. Everything looks alright, but I'll give it a more thorough poke when I get in tonight around midnight.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 12:43 PM
    Box also came with five screwdrivers and two prying tools (long shaft and guitar pick style).

Z10 replacement chasis-img_00000016.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 01:06 PM
    Yay! Thanks Bro! I feel ya, better not screw it up.

Everything looks fine and legit.
    I'm subscribing.
    05-17-13 01:39 PM
    Box also came with five screwdrivers and two prying tools (long shaft and guitar pick style).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000016.jpg 
Views:	1379 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	162674

Posted via CB10
    Good luck! I'm looking forward to your updates! Sorry to hear you'll be working over the May two four long weekend.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 09:33 PM
    Couldn't wait. Have discovered that the torx drivers included with the chassis are not small enough to remove the screen, and my personal set only goes as low as T4.

So I'll have to make a trip to ye olde electronic's store Monday or Tuesday to finish this, sadly.
    05-17-13 10:52 PM
    Just posting from the phone itself to prove I did get it back together in one piece.

For the best anyways. Looks like I might need a dab of thermal paste.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 11:04 PM
    Awesome! Mind posting some pics?
    And.. the ebay seller?
    05-17-13 11:08 PM
    Awesome! Mind posting some pics?
    And.. the ebay seller?
    Galaxy Note ii N7100, Galaxy S3 i9300 items in 2011lalashop Electronics store on eBay! is the seller I bought from. Arrived quite fast, and everything seems to be there. The tools included were simply the wrong size (which is odd, 'cause they included five drivers). We'll see if the parts are functional when I can actually transfer over into them.

(Edit: They're sending me a replacement Torx driver, so that's pretty cool. Quick response, even)

Didn't get any photos once I was inside, due to screwdriver related disappointment. I'll get a few more during the proper tear-down.

I DID get a photo of my initial setup, however. Everything you need to tear down a Z10 (minus the proper sized screwdriver, and my wife's hair dryer wouldn't fit in the frame):
    Z10 replacement chasis-crep1.png

Might pick up a real heat gun when I go to pick up the torx driver. The one I used on the main screws was labeled "T3" but appears to be the same size as the T4 in my set. iFixit says you'll need a T2 and a T4.

Power button's a bit "clickier" since putting it back together. Will have to keep an eye on that.
    Last edited by Baconwich; 05-18-13 at 09:08 AM.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    05-17-13 11:23 PM
    Looking at the iFixit teardown, there's no circle of thermal paste under the Snapdragon processor like there is in my phone.

Maybe it's not thermal paste at all? I feel like that would be one of those things you don't accidentally leave out. Could just be a bit of rubber keeping it from touching the frame?
    05-17-13 11:45 PM
    Every processor has thermal paste..

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 11:54 PM
    Hmm, might need a T1. I wonder where I can get one of those in Ottawa...

I really should be in bed already. Like, two hours ago... =\
    05-18-13 01:03 AM
    Interesting. My phone just rebooted itself, and got stuck at 100% loaded. Had to reset it. Wasn't experiencing reboots before...

Wonder if I didn't re-seat the power button properly. It IS clickier sounding than before...

Also could be my tighter than usual pants pocket. Gotta cut down on those cheeseburgers.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Baconwich; 05-18-13 at 09:44 AM.
    05-18-13 09:33 AM
    Usually when I face random problems like this, I take it apart and put it back together slowly because I seem to overlook something and that's when the problems happen.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 10:15 AM
    Z10 replacement chasis-img_00000021.jpg

T4 and T2 from this set fit like a charm. Looks like the ones that came with the parts, and my old cheapo set were made with fairly poor measurements

This set was also only $9 at Canada Computers, so I'm not sure where my cheapo set ($8 from The Source a few years back?) gets off being so lousy. Unless there's metric/imperial Torx bits with the same names, but that would be silly.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 10:23 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000021.jpg 
Views:	1320 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	162960

T4 and T2 from this set fit like a charm. Looks like the ones that came with the parts, and my old cheapo set were made with fairly poor measurements

This set was also only $9 at Canada Computers, so I'm not sure where my cheapo set ($8 from The Source a few years back?) gets off being so lousy. Unless there's metric/imperial Torx bits with the same names, but that would be silly.

Posted via CB10
    Then I'll have to buy another screwdriver set. I have two different brand T4s and one T2 which wouldn't fit on my Zed.

Thought it was a manufacturing fault.
    05-18-13 11:07 AM
    I have been thinking of putting the silver bezel from the white q10 on my black q10. It would give it a 9900 look.

I swapped the silver bezel on my 9900 for a gold one, looks different, everyone stops to ask about it lol.

Z10 replacement chasis-img_00000646.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 02:46 PM
    When opening the phone past the battery area you will void the warranty for sure! If you do damage the phone you will be on your own to service or replace it.

I don't know your technical qualifications, but you are taking a chance to damage some delicate interconnect connections and etc. The screen section will be sort of critical for how the screen parts and harness are handled. Moving the display without getting any visible dust particles inside the display will be very difficult unless you have a proper setup and skills to do this.

Personally, I would live with the color phone you have, or get a white Gel Grip case. This is a very nice looking case, and it should make your phone look white.

Gel Grip has some other interesting colors. The fluorescent red or flourescent green is interesting...! Check out CrackBerry.com | The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users (and Abusers!) to view interesting Blackberry accessory products.
    05-18-13 03:32 PM
    When opening the phone past the battery area you will void the warranty for sure! If you do damage the phone you will be on your own to service or replace it.

I don't know your technical qualifications, but you are taking a chance to damage some delicate interconnect connections and etc. The screen section will be sort of critical for how the screen parts and harness are handled. Moving the display without getting any visible dust particles inside the display will be very difficult unless you have a proper setup and skills to do this.

Personally, I would live with the color phone you have, or get a white Gel Grip case. This is a very nice looking case, and it should make your phone look white.

Gel Grip has some other interesting colors. The fluorescent red or flourescent green is interesting...! Check out CrackBerry.com | The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users (and Abusers!) to view interesting Blackberry accessory products.
    My qualifications consist of youtube, and these forums, and some personal experience doing this on a few 9900s, i should be ok lol

Posted via CB10
    danfrancisco likes this.
    05-18-13 06:10 PM
    My qualifications consist of youtube, and these forums, and some personal experience doing this on a few 9900s, i should be ok lol

Posted via CB10
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
    (disclaimer : I haven't)

Seriously though, it is probably for the best to warn people away from seeing this and going "me too!", because there is a lot of expensive damage that could be done, and voiding your warranty is no small deal.

That said, when I get the idea in my head that I can do something, it's almost impossible to stop me, cause not knowing would drive me mad.

In this case I see it as no different than taking apart my old iBook, except smaller.

And the glass/lcd/digitizer is all one self-contained unit that is replaceable. I'm not too worried about dust getting in there.

Thanks for the concern though. Hopefully it does keep people less reckless than me out of their phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 06:38 PM
98 1234