Many things have been discussed about the issue, but does somebody really know if there is something other than an "urban legend" regarding the issue?

Post to moderators:
    does this thread belong to this forum or to the PB forum? If so, please move it.
    03-09-13 02:53 PM
    Care to clarify what exactly this urban legend is you speak of?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-09-13 03:06 PM
    Is the issue that it works?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:27 PM
    Care to clarify what exactly this urban legend is you speak of?

Posted via CB10
    That the PB bridge does not support sms, email, bbm etc
    03-09-13 03:52 PM
    Yup. It's true. Current version of bridge is pretty much useless except for remote control.

Bb has committed to restoring the functionality in a latter release.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:55 PM
    Where did they commit? I know they have looked at the threads here but last query to Michael Clewley a week or so back he just referred to the blog post explaining the useless functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djenkins6; 03-09-13 at 06:49 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-09-13 06:10 PM
    Here's a link to a discussion on BlackBerry beta zone. They state its being worked on along with some "New concepts" for bridge in the pipeline. No details or timelines.

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...iew/13806?pg=1

John BlackBerry Project Manager
    RE: BlackBerry Bridge Sidelined in BB10 ???
    Feb 6, 2013 01:59pm
    Yes, the team is working to bring Bridge for BlackBerry 6/7 features to Bridge for BlackBerry 10.

John

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 06:34 PM
    Here's a link to a discussion on BlackBerry beta zone. They state its being worked on along with some "New concepts" for bridge in the pipeline. No details or timelines.

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...iew/13806?pg=1

John BlackBerry Project Manager
    RE: BlackBerry Bridge Sidelined in BB10 ???
    Feb 6, 2013 01:59pm
    Yes, the team is working to bring Bridge for BlackBerry 6/7 features to Bridge for BlackBerry 10.

John

Posted via CB10
    This is good to see.

PlayBook users will need to be patient for the next while. The effort is presumably under way to finish off BB10 for the PlayBook and until that's complete there is no point in developing the existing OS.

I'm pleased to see that BlackBerry is trying to restore the old Bridge functionality, but it's also worth remembering that with BB10 the PlayBook will be a BBM client in its own right and won't need to bridge to a phone for that anymore. And I'm a little skeptical that they'll bring back SMS bridging but hopefully I'm wrong on that point.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 06:55 PM
    So more or less, nothing in thew horizon I presume...
    03-10-13 03:38 AM
    To be frank, I actually find it faster to just grab my phone when a message comes in. By the time bbm or text loads on my pb, I'm already tapping out a reply on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 11:40 AM
    To be frank, I actually find it faster to just grab my phone when a message comes in. By the time bbm or text loads on my pb, I'm already tapping out a reply on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    yes, BUT there are sometimes in my regular life that phone signal is very low where I work, so I place the phone somewhere with better signal and do everything else from my beloved PB.
    That is actually one of the main usages of the pb to me.:banghead:
    03-10-13 01:32 PM
    I have heard that the PlayBook will need BB10 before having these features.

I'm not sure if it's a "need" or BlackBerry is holding out till that point in time.
    03-10-13 01:36 PM
    Yup. It's true. Current version of bridge is pretty much useless except for remote control.

Bb has committed to restoring the functionality in a latter release.

Posted via CB10
    So using the internet thru your phone when no wifi is available is useless?
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-10-13 01:36 PM
    PlayBook should definitely be updated to BB10 before the bridge issues are resolved. I've been using the Z10 for a month now, and the other day I saw my PlayBook on my desk catching dust, so I said let's play with it a little. After about 10 minutes, I got bored and a little frustrated at how slow the thing is now. I've been used to the Z10 fluidity and sharpness, and it seems like the PlayBook is old technology. I am patiently waiting for the PlayBook yo be updated because for now, I can't stand the thing.

Posted via CB10
    akavbb likes this.
    03-10-13 01:43 PM
    yes, BUT there are sometimes in my regular life that phone signal is very low where I work, so I place the phone somewhere with better signal and do everything else from my beloved PB.
    That is actually one of the main usages of the pb to me.:banghead:
    I wasn't saying it's not an issue, just that under conditions that I've used it, it was a neat thing to do in the beginning when I got it but impractical speed wise. I can see where you found it a very useful feature.
    akavbb likes this.
    03-10-13 01:57 PM
    I have heard that the PlayBook will need BB10 before having these features.

I'm not sure if it's a "need" or BlackBerry is holding out till that point in time.
    Any alleged need for BlackBerry OS10 before BlackBerry Bridge functionality can be restored is an excuse. If a Commodore VIC-20 could communicate with mainframe in 1983 there is no reason a BlackBerry Z10 cannot communicate with a BlackBerry PlayBook. Maybe the next batch of interns have yet to be hired.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-10-13 05:13 PM
    ... but it's also worth remembering that with BB10 the PlayBook will be a BBM client in its own right and won't need to bridge to a phone for that anymore.
    Can you be more specific on that part? In what way will it be its own client? Is it meant to access my BlackBerry account on its own? Will I need a second account for it?

Currently, my WiFi PlayBook does not always have access to the internet, but it does always have access to my phone's messaging services. If the BB10 intention is that it rely on its own data sources rather than the Bridge connection for BBM then I'm going to be often out of luck.
    03-11-13 07:01 AM
    So using the internet thru your phone when no wifi is available is useless?
    Sarcasm doesn't really come through in a forum post, haha
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-11-13 07:05 AM
    Tethering works fine between my Z10 and Playbook. So long as that, and remote control work I'm not that bothered.
    I'm hardly using my Playbook at all now unless its to do a presentation.
    03-11-13 07:16 AM
    Tethering works fine between my Z10 and Playbook. So long as that, and remote control work I'm not that bothered.
    I'm hardly using my Playbook at all now unless its to do a presentation.
    That won't be the case for everyone. AT&T already charges for activation and use of that feature. I doubt they're suddenly going to offer it for free.

And hopefully someone can still clarify on what it means for the PlayBook to be a client in its own right.
    daveshiz likes this.
    03-11-13 07:20 AM
    That won't be the case for everyone. AT&T already charges for activation and use of that feature. I doubt they're suddenly going to offer it for free.

And hopefully someone can still clarify on what it means for the PlayBook to be a client in its own right.
    This wouldn't change just because you upgraded your handset though?
    03-11-13 07:27 AM

I think rroyy will continue to tweak the bridge app. If not someone else will.
    03-11-13 07:37 AM
    This wouldn't change just because you upgraded your handset though?
    No, it probably wouldn't change. Reducing the bridge features to just tethering will mean that the bridge is useless under AT&T. As kbz states, rroyy will probably tweak the app, but that leaves a subscriber vulnerable. Retroactive fees can be expected if AT&T discovers it being used.

Outside of that, it's just bad design if the feature is only useful after being cracked open by an unauthorized third party.
    03-11-13 08:39 AM
    I use the Notes app with the bridge. Is that functionality still there?

I currently have a 9800 paired with the playbook and it's working great for me for work purposes. I'm holding off from getting a Z10 until I know it will be a seamless transition.

I use the playbook to take notes in meetings using Notes via the bridge. If that's gone or missing right now I'm going to remain in my holding pattern.

Would love to know.
    03-23-13 11:28 AM
    I use the Notes app with the bridge. Is that functionality still there?

I currently have a 9800 paired with the playbook and it's working great for me for work purposes. I'm holding off from getting a Z10 until I know it will be a seamless transition.

I use the playbook to take notes in meetings using Notes via the bridge. If that's gone or missing right now I'm going to remain in my holding pattern.

Would love to know.
    From what I've read browsing and remote control are the only things that work at this time.
    03-23-13 11:42 AM
27 12