I would use the manual setup and use the laptop or pc setting on the Outlook. Work perfectly.
    03-23-13 09:10 PM
    BB10 eliminated the option to delete an email on the phone but leave it on the server. So now, as a small business owner, my wife cannot do a quick check of her email, decided to leave some items for later, but clear the clutter from the phone.
    I agree with almost all points you made in previous posts, and adding to above, if this is really missing from BB10, it sounds to me like they completely butchered an e-mail client that actually kept BB alive and kicking. With lack of keyboard shortcuts (yes, some other full screen phones still allow keyboard shortcuts) and some of the other features that are now lacking, I don't see what BB will have left that can support the platform.

I used AS with other devices, it is a pain. It's slow, syncing all folders (I have over 50) from exchange server takes forever, and on top of everything it has very limited support for notes (both outlook notes, and notes in contact fields) has anyone tried editing a contact note to see if it get truncated when it is sent back to server? My company has BES for older devices and I was told that we were BES10 ready, I assume this means we won't have to use AS and can just use Exchange? I am not sure, but I don't want to have to go through buying and returning and then trying to hunt down a 9900 so that I can maybe get another 3-4 yrs out of a true blackberry experience.
    03-24-13 12:16 AM
    With lack of keyboard shortcuts (yes, some other full screen phones still allow keyboard shortcuts)
    Can you educate me about what is the point precisely of having a "keyboard shortcut" that relies on not only the device display to already be active, but the online keyboard already displayed, before this "shortcut" can be used? Because that doesn't sound like much of a "shortcut" to me!

I don't see what BB will have left that can support the platform.
    Oh, the drama!

My company has BES for older devices and I was told that we were BES10 ready, I assume this means we won't have to use AS and can just use Exchange?
    BES10 uses EAS for its device link protocol as well.

Though these questions really should be posted in the Enterprise or BES sections, since there are far more people who understand those things that are likely to read them there. Technically it's off-topic for this thread.
    03-24-13 12:59 AM
    Can you educate me about what is the point precisely of having a "keyboard shortcut" that relies on not only the device display to already be active, but the online keyboard already displayed, before this "shortcut" can be used? Because that doesn't sound like much of a "shortcut" to me!

Oh, the drama!

BES10 uses EAS for its device link protocol as well.

Though these questions really should be posted in the Enterprise or BES sections, since there are far more people who understand those things that are likely to read them there. Technically it's off-topic for this thread.
    No seriously, no drama. Without a very strong (or as strong as before) e-mail client, BB does not have much else to support it. Just saying what I see as obvious. No disrespect here..

Regarding keyboard shortcuts, like filing e-mails, next, previous,next unread, previous unread, page down, going to the bottom of the email (space), these are the keyboard shortcuts I am talking about. These would not require KB to pop on and off the screen, KB would just stay there as you read your e-mails and allow you these widely used functions. Maybe some of there are already there in client, but I still did not see anyone do a detailed e-mail review, if you have a link I'd appreciate it.
    Sorry to steer off-topic, I won't post further here, but once you grab someone in a thread who is somewhat familiar with what you are talking about, you don't want to just go start a thread and wait if anyone even cares to respond.
    03-24-13 09:28 AM
    BB is working on the problem, it has gone pretty high up the food chain, and they cannot get it to work either.
    I talked to BlackBerry support on Friday 3/22 and they said this issue was also happening with Canada and UK bb10s. They claim there is some issue with the Z10 syncing to a server. The guy gave me complete non-answers and told me to delete emails from my server and then it would start working. He said it's because I have more than a 1000 emails stored on my server. That's totally dumb though considering my server has 40+ websites.

Either way, BlackBerry knows about the issue, we're just all playing the waiting game for a resolution.
    03-24-13 12:34 PM
    this is what my emails looks like!!!!! ITS ****!!! and embarrassing.

Reply from work address.
    =p style="font-size: initial; font-family: Cal=ri, 'Slate Pro', sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); text-align: initial=ackground-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartph=e.
    =table width="100%" style="background-colo=white;border-spacing:0px;"> =iv id="_persistentHeader" s=le="border-style: solid none none; border-top-color: rgb(181, 196, 223)=order-top-width: 1pt; padding: 3pt 0in 0in; font-family: Tahoma, 'BB Alp= Sans', 'Slate Pro'; font-size: 10pt;">
    <=v>Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 8:32 PM
    To: xxxxx=/div>
    Subject: Test again

Testing again.
    <= style="marginTop:2px">Sent from my BlackBe=rry 10 smartphone.
    03-24-13 07:53 PM
    ok just got off the phone with RIM. he said theyre aware of the issue and are testing out the update. he did mention "weeks..." i was like, WHAT! he then said theyre not compatible with me.com SMTP addresses, which is what im using thats causing this. said to use an alternative smtp address in the meantime.

hmmm...
    03-24-13 08:10 PM
    I think what he meant about deleting emails is that if you have emails in your outbox that have not been sent, you need to delete those. Im getting that from a few of the posts the folks in the UK are having with what appears to be a similar issue there. Either way, it's pretty sad that BB can't get this issue resolved.
    03-24-13 08:43 PM
    Yeah, I've heard the "weeks" thing myself.

Got excited when someone reported a very high-numbered software release on AT&T, a couple days ago, but I can't find a single other person that has that version on their device, or has been offered it.

Starting to look like a hoax.
    03-24-13 10:45 PM
    ok just got off the phone with RIM. he said theyre aware of the issue and are testing out the update. he did mention "weeks..." i was like, WHAT! he then said theyre not compatible with me.com SMTP addresses, which is what im using thats causing this. said to use an alternative smtp address in the meantime.

hmmm...

AT&T does operate an internal SMTP server you can use, the hostname is "cwmx.com". You can use it without authentication.

I don't know how it would work if you were using a non-ATT email/return-address though. A lot of times servers won't relay messages that claim to be from domains they aren't authoritative for.

(Edit: Obviously that won't help the "gibberish" issue, I was thinking more of the people who couldn't send at all. Another workaround would be to temporarily use another email client. I don't know if I mentioned that here already. The usual choice is the port of K9 Email from Android, it's available in Blackberry World, and free.)
    03-24-13 10:47 PM
    Just spoke with an engineer at BB today re this problem. He was VERY knowledgeable about the issue. A fix has been written and is being pushed out to the carriers asap. I asked for an ETA and he said he couldn't give one but it will be very soon as it is up to the carriers to do their own test and release. He did say it was packaged in such a way as to make it easy for them.

It does seem that this "bug", and it is not just BB causing this, is caused by how some email servers handle all those "control characters". I don't pretend to understand it all but he does say that BB is monitoring these threads and claims that even though they may look like different issues they are really all just different manifestations of the same thing, ie some not being able to send, some having strange characters inserted in outgoing email (my issue), etc. He says it was caused by the 10.0.10.85 update here in Canada which rolled out approx. 3 weeks ago.
    03-25-13 11:13 AM
    Forgot to mention - I don't know why a small business wants to mess around running their own Microsoft Exchange server anyway. Why don't you just sign up with any of the tons of different companies that do Microsoft Exchange hosting, for $4-$10 a month per user?

Most small businesses would take many years for that recurring fee to outstrip the cost of running an in-house system which, just for the hardware/software for the initial year would cost thousands of dollars in initial outlay. To say nothing of labor/consulting cost, maintenance cost, cost of electricity, backup battery, support fees, etc.
    Two basic points: We were operating on our own servers before cloud based services were "cool", and two, many of us don't want the lifeline of our business (information on a computer) depending upon 1. internet service which has gone down on several occasions in the past, and 2. our client's confidential information being hosted on some third party site. I know all the discussion about security protocols and etc, but I also know that my personal "secure" information has been hacked on the big time operator's sites, I know the local banks have been hacked, and I just don't think big time hackers will be very interested in our little one horse shop when they can be out catching bigger fish.
    03-25-13 01:11 PM
    Just spoke with an engineer at BB today re this problem. He was VERY knowledgeable about the issue. A fix has been written and is being pushed out to the carriers asap. I asked for an ETA and he said he couldn't give one but it will be very soon as it is up to the carriers to do their own test and release. He did say it was packaged in such a way as to make it easy for them.

It does seem that this "bug", and it is not just BB causing this, is caused by how some email servers handle all those "control characters". I don't pretend to understand it all but he does say that BB is monitoring these threads and claims that even though they may look like different issues they are really all just different manifestations of the same thing, ie some not being able to send, some having strange characters inserted in outgoing email (my issue), etc. He says it was caused by the 10.0.10.85 update here in Canada which rolled out approx. 3 weeks ago.
    Thanks for the update. I will say that BB support has been courteous, prompt, and has stayed in touch. Nice in the current world of tech support. It seems to have been a serious issue because it had to move up several steps on their incident ladder, and the programming gnomes in the back were working on it. We will be brining Exchange ActiveSync on our machines this week, but the problem needed to be solved for other emails we use that are still PoP3 accounts.
    03-25-13 01:15 PM
    There are NO security disadvantages with EAS over BIS/ BES.

EAS is easy to set up...very easy, but perhaps your Exchange server isn't setup for EAS. You have not supplied us with any details whatsoever, so we can't really help you with the problem
    Thanks for the assurances. Our present problem is not linked to EAS. I think we will be able to solve the business side syncing issues this week with EAS, but the point was the the BB "uniqueness" is now gone which opens up for consideration other operating platforms. I understand the business issues involved, I just wish they had come up with another solution.
    03-25-13 01:22 PM
    Now I understand why your Z10's don't work with your work accounts. Work account ONLY work with EAS, which you say you don't have. Your IT guy wasn't up to speed on any of this....so he basically played around, charged you $300.00 for nothing and washed his hands of it.
    Get your EAS working and you will have no problem connecting to your Exchange server, and make sure it's at least Exchange 2010, or you will not be able to sync at least some of your items...

Exchange 2003 will not cut the mustard with EAS...
    Thanks for the information. Part of the background is that my wife talked to BB prior to the upgrade who told her that the current set-up would continue to work for a few years since only one phone was on the system. Of course, that was incorrect. So in trying to set up our emails at the store, none of the work emails nor the PoP3 personal accounts would work. Called IT to see if we were doing something wrong, called service providers, etc. Gave upon on BES Express, tried to set up as POP3 only, still not working, and finally BB support recognized the problem with PoP3 was on their end. It was an expensive and frustrating day in terms of cash expense and lost productivity.
    03-25-13 01:29 PM
    Thank you for the update compuease.
    03-25-13 02:06 PM
    Yeah, I've heard the "weeks" thing myself.

Got excited when someone reported a very high-numbered software release on AT&T, a couple days ago, but I can't find a single other person that has that version on their device, or has been offered it.

Starting to look like a hoax.

The software release which I posted a screenshot depicting back in March is now being rolled-out officially to AT&T customers. The person who originally showed that version must have had an insider track.

Anyway - several people have reported that this new release DOES indeed resolve the SMTP sending issue - I would recommend AT&T users install the update and see if it works for you.

As always - it's a good idea to do a backup (ie by using the Blackberry Link utility) before any OS update.

Enjoy.
    04-12-13 10:15 PM
    I agree with almost all points you made in previous posts, and adding to above, if this is really missing from BB10, it sounds to me like they completely butchered an e-mail client that actually kept BB alive and kicking. With lack of keyboard shortcuts (yes, some other full screen phones still allow keyboard shortcuts) and some of the other features that are now lacking, I don't see what BB will have left that can support the platform.

I used AS with other devices, it is a pain. It's slow, syncing all folders (I have over 50) from exchange server takes forever, and on top of everything it has very limited support for notes (both outlook notes, and notes in contact fields) has anyone tried editing a contact note to see if it get truncated when it is sent back to server? My company has BES for older devices and I was told that we were BES10 ready, I assume this means we won't have to use AS and can just use Exchange? I am not sure, but I don't want to have to go through buying and returning and then trying to hunt down a 9900 so that I can maybe get another 3-4 yrs out of a true blackberry experience.
    That's a feature I've never used and most of my clients ask for what email they delete from the handheld to be the same as there Exchange folders. In other word if they are going to spend 15 minutes reviewing and deleting email from BB there is no sense in having to spend the same amount of time doing the same thing in your Outlook. In no way do I see this "butchered" the email. If your company is BES10 ready then your BB10 device will be connected to Blackberry device service that is getting your mail via AS. As for speed issue I have none, the z10 as all past BB's tends to get the email before my Outlook.
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-16-13 03:22 PM
    I had the issue of garbled messages. Smtp code mixed in the message body. The AT&T update completely fixed this issue. Of course I'm with Bell in Canada so I had to update with a brick loader program but it was well worth it to be able to send emails...

C'mon Bell, you can do better than this...

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 04:13 PM
    C'mon Bell, you can do better than this...

Sure they can. I'll bet they'll just deliver 10.1 instead, which is a new series entirely. It's coming at the end of this month, at least for the Q10.
    04-17-13 01:01 AM
45 12