I picked up a Z10 today on AT&T and I am concerned because i've found it difficult to get my business' email addresses to work properly on the device.

I click add account and type in my email address & password. Z10 says "looking up connection information" then a pop-up shows-> "This email provider may not be trustworthy. Personal information may not be protected."

I press continue and it takes me to the full settings screen.

I add the POP settings from my server provider Media Temple. and it appears to show my incoming emails but won't let me send. I've tried various ports and SSL/non-SSL options and still haven't sent an email from the device.

Over the 10 years i've had blackberry, i've never had this much difficulty setting up an email.

I am wondering if anyone else uses mediatemple servers/email addresses and has had success on the Z10? Thanks for the help.
    03-22-13 03:10 PM
    I picked up a Z10 today on AT&T and I am concerned because i've found it difficult to get my business' email addresses to work properly on the device.

I click add account and type in my email address & password. Z10 says "looking up connection information" then a pop-up shows-> "This email provider may not be trustworthy. Personal information may not be protected."

I press continue and it takes me to the full settings screen.

I add the POP settings from my server provider Media Temple. and it appears to show my incoming emails but won't let me send. I've tried various ports and SSL/non-SSL options and still haven't sent an email from the device.

Over the 10 years i've had blackberry, i've never had this much difficulty setting up an email.

I am wondering if anyone else uses mediatemple servers/email addresses and has had success on the Z10? Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately you are probably being bitten by a known Z10 bug that has surprisingly remained un-fixed for a few weeks now. More info:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/
    RazzBerry likes this.
    03-22-13 05:08 PM
    After waiting months to upgrade, the wife gets her new Z10 today. We cannot get it to accept the email account from the office.

We brought our out-of-office IT guy in who spent 3 hours working various angles. I finally found this thread on Crackberry that had which identifies the email but. There was $300 bucks down the drain. I think I will send the bill to Blackberry. How can you leave such a critical issue unresolved for 3 weeks?

That plus eliminating Express support and forcing us to use ActiveSync eliminates the security advantages, along with BIS going away, eliminated many of the BB advantages over the competition. Those Droids are looking really good right now!
    03-22-13 06:56 PM
    Unfortunately you are probably being bitten by a known Z10 bug that has surprisingly remained un-fixed for a few weeks now. More info:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/
    What about IMAP related email issues? I picked up my Z10 7 hours ago (ATT store in N. Califonia) and I still cannot add my Yahoo and Gmail accounts set-up.

Using the default IMAP settings (ports, encryption, use push if supported, etc.), I get the following message after "Saving and verifying your email settings" spins away for about a minute:

Yahoo Email:
    "At this time, the rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com server is unavailable and your email account can't be added. Please try again later" <OK>

Gmail:
    "At this time, the imap.gmail.com server is unavailable and your email account can't be added. Please try again later" <OK>

The other threads mentioned that POP email accounts had issues but that IMAP email accounts should be fine.

Anyone else with the above problem?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have to agree with the OP. I've never had so much trouble setting up email accounts on my previous BBs (9000/9800/9810/9900) before. Aside from Yahoo/Gmail, my BES is still not activated due to server-side updates that were not done yet. For the time being, I have my work email set up through MS Exchange ActiveSync. This keeps me somewhat sane, but if the Gmail+Yahoo IMAP issues persist...
    03-22-13 07:13 PM
    Not sure if your issue is the same as the one I had. Can't quite remember the error I got, but I had to login into Gmail and enable pop and Imap in the settings. Was weird neither the on nor off button was selected. Regardless this solution was very hard for me to find so maybe this will help someone else who has this problem.

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1 likes this.
    03-22-13 07:30 PM
    That plus eliminating Express support and forcing us to use ActiveSync eliminates the security advantages, along with BIS going away, eliminated many of the BB advantages over the competition.

1. I can't figure out what you mean by "Express Support"
    2. Why do you believe the Z10 is "forcing" you to use ActiveSync, and why are you convinced that makes it "insecure"?
    3. BIS imposed many performance and other limitations on the platform, I agree with Blackberry that getting rid of it is a net positive for most of its potential users.
    03-22-13 08:24 PM
    After waiting months to upgrade, the wife gets her new Z10 today. We cannot get it to accept the email account from the office.

We brought our out-of-office IT guy in who spent 3 hours working various angles. I finally found this thread on Crackberry that had which identifies the email but. There was $300 bucks down the drain. I think I will send the bill to Blackberry. How can you leave such a critical issue unresolved for 3 weeks?

That plus eliminating Express support and forcing us to use ActiveSync eliminates the security advantages, along with BIS going away, eliminated many of the BB advantages over the competition. Those Droids are looking really good right now!
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 is FREE with the only cost aside from installation and configuration being a client access license (CAL) for ech user unless upgrading from an existing BES which means the CALs would be free.

The Microsoft Exchange Server needs ActiveSynch enabled.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-22-13 08:57 PM
    What about IMAP related email issues? I picked up my Z10 7 hours ago (ATT store in N. Califonia) and I still cannot add my Yahoo and Gmail accounts set-up.

Using the default IMAP settings (ports, encryption, use push if supported, etc.), I get the following message after "Saving and verifying your email settings" spins away for about a minute:

Yahoo Email:
    "At this time, the rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com server is unavailable and your email account can't be added. Please try again later" <OK>

Gmail:
    "At this time, the imap.gmail.com server is unavailable and your email account can't be added. Please try again later" <OK>

The other threads mentioned that POP email accounts had issues but that IMAP email accounts should be fine.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have to agree with the OP. I've never had so much trouble setting up email accounts on my previous BBs (9000/9800/9810/9900) before. Aside from Yahoo/Gmail, my BES is still not activated due to server-side updates that were not done yet. For the time being, I have my work email set up through MS Exchange ActiveSync. This keeps me somewhat sane, but if the Gmail+Yahoo IMAP issues persist...
    There are threads addressing GMail and Yahoo email account set-up. Please read them and stop whining. The early adopters have walked this road already.

03-22-13 09:00 PM

Yahoo Email:

Gmail:

Thanks in advance

Ok, resolved the above. If you are like me and you upgraded to a Z10 from another Blackberry (Torch 9810 in my case) with AT&T, then you should read the following:

1) It is not completely true that BIS is no longer needed. After I switched over to the Z10, AT&T naturally disconnected my Torch 9810. However, I did notice that my still powered-on 9810 was receiving emails from both the Gmail and Yahoo email accounts. My phone was still connected via Wi-Fi. This flipped a switch, so I went to AT&T's BIS page (https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html) to take a look.

2) If you recall before BB10, you could set up your email addresses through BIS. As soon as logged in, there was a message saying that a new device had been added and that I had to move my email accounts to the new phone. They were still listed in my BIS email account listing, but they were unchecked. I simply had to validate both email accounts by re-entering the passwords.

3) Went back to my Z10 and was able to successfully (and quite easily) setup both the Gmail and Yahoo IMAP email accounts!

The funny thing is that if were changing from the Torch 9810 to any other non-BB10 device, I would've done all of the above simply out of habit. The only reason why I didn't was because I was under the impression that BIS was not applicable for BB10. Indeed, this is not the case.

Now, on to finding all of my favorite Apps.... anyone have an idea when Blackberry Traffic will show up?

Cheers
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    03-22-13 09:02 PM
    Im having the same issue with my Z10 and MediaTemple.
    03-22-13 09:11 PM
    Not sure if your issue is the same as the one I had. Can't quite remember the error I got, but I had to login into Gmail and enable pop and Imap in the settings. Was weird neither the on nor off button was selected. Regardless this solution was very hard for me to find so maybe this will help someone else who has this problem.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly what affects many people.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    03-22-13 09:36 PM
    Those of you who have new AT&T Z10 devices - AT&T has released a new firmware update for the Z10 with the highest OS version level I've seen so far. (See below)

I'm crossing my fingers that an SMTP fix might have made it into that release. Can you folks update your new AT&T devices and let us know if it has any impact on the outgoing authenticated SMTP issue? You can do an update either over the air from the device itself, or via the Blackberry Link desktop software.

Version numbers on the AT&T update:

Software Release: 10.0.10.116
    OS Version: 10.0.10.822
    Attached Thumbnails Z10 Outgoing Email Issues-software_version_page-2.png  
    pandapurple and mset like this.
    03-23-13 03:52 AM
    Those of you who have new AT&T Z10 devices - AT&T has released a new firmware update for the Z10 with the highest OS version level I've seen so far. (See below)

I'm crossing my fingers that an SMTP fix might have made it into that release. Can you folks update your new AT&T devices and let us know if it has any impact on the outgoing authenticated SMTP issue? You can do an update either over the air from the device itself, or via the Blackberry Link desktop software.

Version numbers on the AT&T update:

Software Release: 10.0.10.116
    OS Version: 10.0.10.822
    Which Z10 type do you have?? I'm using STL100-1 and the latest is still 10.0.10.82
    03-23-13 10:15 AM
    I've set up an exchange account (with active sync), an imap account, a Gmail account, and a POP account on my z10 without major issues. For both the imap and POP acct, I had to fiddle with the advanced settings to use the provider's specified advanced settings, but then it worked fine.

This is also the first time my BlackBerry has been able to go through and sync to my other folders on my imap acct (it never did on my previous non-bb 10 devices). Maybe make sure all server and port settings are eight and that the username is right?

Speed for all the accts is same as what it was previously (for the exchange acct, I had bes, and now it's the same with active sync).

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    03-23-13 10:40 AM
    1. I can't figure out what you mean by "Express Support"
    2. Why do you believe the Z10 is "forcing" you to use ActiveSync, and why are you convinced that makes it "insecure"?
    3. BIS imposed many performance and other limitations on the platform, I agree with Blackberry that getting rid of it is a net positive for most of its potential users.
    BB Exchange Express was the product we used in our small businesses which is not supported in BB10. We were informed to use Microsoft Express ActiveSync, the same program used to sync iPhones, Droids, and other smart phones. Our perception was that BB offered enhanced security over that system. If it did not, or does not, there is no reason to stay with the BB platform from a practical standpoint for us.

I bought the Playbook expressly for the fact that the Bridge tied to my phone, I could read my email, and my calendar, and when I turned off the Playbook everything was wiped. They have now eliminated that feature, so the real advantage of the Playbook is now gone compared to other tablets.

BB10 eliminated the option to delete an email on the phone but leave it on the server. So now, as a small business owner, my wife cannot do a quick check of her email, decided to leave some items for later, but clear the clutter from the phone.

There are other issues that crop up besides the inability to set up email, which is about as stupid a marketing mistake as anyone can make. These guys are really out of touch with small businesses which constitute a substantial part of their market. I literally waited over a year for BB to fix their problems. I love my Torch and kept it running to get to the phones on the new software, I put up with the growing pains on the Playbook software (finally did well with 2.0), but I think BB just spit in the eye of most small businesses with this latest episode.
    Last edited by Riz58; 03-23-13 at 06:56 PM.
    03-23-13 05:30 PM
    I will have the wife run the update and see if it solves the problems with SMTP. Any updates would be appreciated.
    03-23-13 05:32 PM
    There are threads addressing GMail and Yahoo email account set-up. Please read them and stop whining. The early adopters have walked this road already.
    You know what? Grow up!. These people have just paid a lot of money and their devices don't work as they should.

Man alive, I am sick of dolts like this being rude to people who are having legitimate problems. God knows what you did before the internet came along.

Thanks to grown-ups like Omnitech who are trying to help.
    03-23-13 05:50 PM
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 is FREE with the only cost aside from installation and configuration being a client access license (CAL) for ech user unless upgrading from an existing BES which means the CALs would be free.

The Microsoft Exchange Server needs ActiveSynch enabled.

Thanks for the information. But the cost of installation, having done it for the BES Express version, can be very expensive utilizing outside IT folks. Using the BB product before we did not have the Exchange Server ActiveSync enabled, so we will have to buy the certificate for that as well. Since I will be able to sync with Outlook using ActiveSync, and I don't use the BES as large corporations do, I do not see the need to incur the extra expense (more than double after install). We liked the BB-only sync function for purposes of security - which is now gone. If I am missing something, I would appreciate finding out about it.
    03-23-13 05:59 PM
    I have just pointed my domain name which is hosted at 1and1 to Outlook.com and it seems to be working so far. I am happy! I was surprised to see that outlook offers this for free! Now that I have done it, it wasn't too difficult. All my folders seem to be syncing so far and my sent items on my outlook on my home computer (outlook 2007) seem to work too.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 06:16 PM
    No upgrade available for the wife's phone. AT&T The last two digits on her software - .88
    03-23-13 06:55 PM
    Just an update on the continued lack of email service - BB is working on the problem, it has gone pretty high up the food chain, and they cannot get it to work either. They did call her back today just to let her know they were still trying. I do give them credit for good tech support.
    03-23-13 06:59 PM

There are NO security disadvantages with EAS over BIS/ BES.

EAS is easy to set up...very easy, but perhaps your Exchange server isn't setup for EAS. You have not supplied us with any details whatsoever, so we can't really help you with the problem
    03-23-13 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the information. But the cost of installation, having done it for the BES Express version, can be very expensive utilizing outside IT folks. Using the BB product before we did not have the Exchange Server ActiveSync enabled, so we will have to buy the certificate for that as well. Since I will be able to sync with Outlook using ActiveSync, and I don't use the BES as large corporations do, I do not see the need to incur the extra expense (more than double after install). We liked the BB-only sync function for purposes of security - which is now gone. If I am missing something, I would appreciate finding out about it.
    Now I understand why your Z10's don't work with your work accounts. Work account ONLY work with EAS, which you say you don't have. Your IT guy wasn't up to speed on any of this....so he basically played around, charged you $300.00 for nothing and washed his hands of it.
    Get your EAS working and you will have no problem connecting to your Exchange server, and make sure it's at least Exchange 2010, or you will not be able to sync at least some of your items...

Exchange 2003 will not cut the mustard with EAS...
    03-23-13 07:34 PM
    BB Exchange Express was the product we used in our small businesses which is not supported in BB10. We were informed to use Microsoft Express ActiveSync, the same program used to sync iPhones, Droids, and other smart phones. Our perception was that BB offered enhanced security over that system. If it did not, or does not, there is no reason to stay with the BB platform from a practical standpoint for us.

Honestly, given the various things you've written here, I don't think you're doing a very good job of investigating what all of your actual choices are. Especially when you extrapolate your particular narrow requirements into things like "there's no reason to stay with the platform". Please qualify that as for you. It's fine to have detailed personal requirements. It's silly to pretend that everyone agrees with those or needs precisely the same things you need.

Blackberry still offers BES if you want the enhanced security. What they don't offer is a free version for Blackberry 10 devices. They've changed the license model. There is no longer a license fee for ANY BES server, it's a per-device license now.

I bought the Playbook expressly for the fact that the Bridge tied to my phone, I could read my email, and my calendar, and when I turned off the Playbook everything was wiped. They have now eliminated that feature, so the real advantage of the Playbook is now gone compared to other tablets.
    FOR YOU. Some people are unhappy about the Bridge thing like you are, others don't care.

BB10 eliminated the option to delete an email on the phone but leave it on the server. So now, as a small business owner, my wife cannot do a quick check of her email, decided to leave some items for later, but clear the clutter from the phone.
    There are a PLETHORA of ways to manage email on a mobile device, and the thing you are referring to is mostly a legacy of the efforts RIM made to try to work around all the limitations of the 25-year-old POP3 email protocol, something most people no longer use. I have discussed these things at length in other threads here, they are off-topic in this thread.

There are other issues that crop up besides the inability to set up email, which is about as stupid a marketing mistake as anyone can make. These guys are really out of touch with small businesses which constitute a substantial part of their market.

Once again you are citing "facts" not in evidence and pretending your needs are "universal". They're not.

RIM/Blackberry completely threw out the old platform, imported some of the classic features and left out some other classic features. Some of those features will return in subsequent updates (One already has in the form of USB syncing for MS Outlook, to be further enhanced later), some will not. The business decisions RIM/Blackberry made I think for the most part make sense in context with current market realities. Can't please all the people all the time.
    03-23-13 09:03 PM
    Forgot to mention - I don't know why a small business wants to mess around running their own Microsoft Exchange server anyway. Why don't you just sign up with any of the tons of different companies that do Microsoft Exchange hosting, for $4-$10 a month per user?

Most small businesses would take many years for that recurring fee to outstrip the cost of running an in-house system which, just for the hardware/software for the initial year would cost thousands of dollars in initial outlay. To say nothing of labor/consulting cost, maintenance cost, cost of electricity, backup battery, support fees, etc.
    anon5129477 likes this.
    03-23-13 09:07 PM
45 12