I am having all the same issues. They are certainly more worried about time lines and pushing the product out! Also when the otter boxes came out years ago they had little dust filter cloth over the speaker and mic ports. Why are they no longer used. Also, there is no protection for the cameras from the elements. The cut out in the screen protector where the camera is located let's dirt and dust in which scratches the screen. The magnet DOES NOT work at all to sleep mode the phone. That is apparent and if they are denying that then what does that say about the company itself to deny a very obvious flaw???!!! The holster is a complete joke. When clipped to a belt then getting in and out of a vehicle it falls out of the holster. This is due to no support in the bottom of the holster which allows the bottom of the phone to slide from side to side when clipped into the holster. If your reading this Otter Box then you know without question this case like many in the past needs a redesign with intention. This is not a quality build if it's only half way developed and prematurely manufactured. I have had many phones going back many years and every one has had an Otter Box. I have certainly without question seen the efforts in planning and designing decline. I'm losing my faith in them. Drop durability is outstanding but device function, screen protection from debris, holster issues and dust and dirt migration should all be key elements as well to protecting our devices. What's the use of having a drop proof phone when you can't see your screen due to scratches on the screen and body or the fact that the holster does not secure a $700.00 device that can fall out of a holster unnoticed. I need my faith restored in the other box line as its once was as being bullet proof. Two simple concepts to keep in mind: when I take my phone out of the case after 3 months it should shine like the day I put it in there, and the phone should be very easy to use like as if there is no case on it at all.

Hello everyone,

I have two Z10's that are in Otterbox Defender cases as all my BlackBerry devices have been in the past. I have always found Otterbox Customer Service and quality to be second to none. I noticed that when the Z10 is put into the clip, the sleeper magnet does not put the phone to sleep. I have taken the phone out of the defender and held it directly against the magnet in the clip and the sleep function is then activated.

I contacted Otterbox last week and explained to them that the sides of the Defender case are too high to allow the sleeper magnet in the clip to put the phone to sleep. I also told them that the height of the sides of the case also make it difficult to type on the keys that are along the sides as well as the screen protector has to be removed to allow gestures to work properly on the Z10.

Otterbox responded by saying they have never heard of any of these problems and said I should return both the Defenders to the place of purchase because they were within the 30 day period for the venders to replace them. I said that felt that this was Otterbox's problem in the design of this case and clip. Their response was to ship me two new Defenders which I received today. I tried both clips that came with the new Defenders and neither of those sleeper magnets work either. I have asked Otterbox to contact me to discuss the design of the Defender for the Z10 however I doubt they will contact me this time either.

Is anybody else experiencing a problem with the Defender for the Z10 regarding the sleeper magnet. I did read elsewhere on the forum that somebody initially had this problem with the sleeper magnet but that Ottebox had shipped new cases to the retailers and they worked properly now. I'd be interested to hear if I'm the only one that is lucky enough to have this problem with 4 different Defender clips or if this is as wide spread as I suspect it is.

Mike
    05-19-13 10:07 PM
    Not sure if this thread is being read but I will share my extensive experience with the Otterbox Z10 case. I have used Otterbox cases since my first BB, a Pearl. Always had a great experience. Up to now it has been Blackberry and Otterbox all the way. As it turned out the Verizon stores in my area ONLY carried the Otterbox Defender case for the Z10 when it rolled out. No problem for me as that would have been my choice anyway. Even had the built for Blackberry label on the box.
    Once I put the Otterbox case on my new Z10, same issue as the rest of you. No sleep function. Yes, I know you can put it to sleep or set it for sleep in 30 seconds. The advantage on the sleep function with the magnet is that it wakes when you pull it out, no swipe up. I contacted the Otterbox development team and eventually the built for Blackberry team at Blackberry. The sleep function is part of the testing for a the build for Blackberry label. I can tell you I went through a total of 4 cases, 3 of which came directly from Otterbox as replacements to fix the issue. I asked repeatedly for one of their team to test the holster, make sure it goes to sleep function then wakes when taken out of the holster, and send me that holster. Never got an answer on that request, just a new, in the box Otterbox case. After the forth case fail, they offered and issued me a refund. No admission that the holster does not work. They maintain it did pass testing to include the sleep function. Everyone was polite. Everyone was professional. I have no complaints on my interaction with either companies. They sent me multiple cases at their own expense and issued me a refund. However, I would have respected Otterbox more had they simply admitted their holster's sleep function does not work. Would have been nice for the built for Blackberry team to take the designation back from Otterbox until they fix the holster to perform as it should.
    In the end, I will probably go with Seidio. I will always be a die hard Blackberry fan and will have no other phone. I am not so close to Otterbox anymore, though. From looking at their site, it appears they are more interested in iPhone products anyway. Would have loved to have one of their one of their Amor series cases for my Z10. The holster for that case would have fit my duty belt perfectly.
    07-17-13 10:26 PM
    Use crazy glue and glue a second rare earth magnet of the same size (1/4" diam. By 1/10" thick) on to the existing magnet. Works perfectly

have two Z10's that are in Otterbox Defender cases as all my BlackBerry devices have been in the past. I have always found Otterbox Customer Service and quality to be second to none. I noticed that when the Z10 is put into the clip, the sleeper magnet does not put the phone to sleep. I have taken the phone out of the defender and held it directly against the magnet in the clip and the sleep function is then activated.

I contacted Otterbox last week and explained to them that the sides of the Defender case are too high to allow the sleeper magnet in the clip to put the phone to sleep. I also told them that the height of the sides of the case also make it difficult to type on the keys that are along the sides as well as the screen protector has to be removed to allow gestures to work properly on the Z10.

Otterbox responded by saying they have never heard of any of these problems and said I should return both the Defenders to the place of purchase because they were within the 30 day period for the venders to replace them. I said that felt that this was Otterbox's problem in the design of this case and clip. Their response was to ship me two new Defenders which I received today. I tried both clips that came with the new Defenders and neither of those sleeper magnets work either. I have asked Otterbox to contact me to discuss the design of the Defender for the Z10 however I doubt they will contact me this time either.

Is anybody else experiencing a problem with the Defender for the Z10 regarding the sleeper magnet. I did read elsewhere on the forum that somebody initially had this problem with the sleeper magnet but that Ottebox had shipped new cases to the retailers and they worked properly now. I'd be interested to hear if I'm the only one that is lucky enough to have this problem with 4 different Defender clips or if this is as wide spread as I suspect it is.

Mike[/QUOTE]
    08-03-13 05:47 PM
    Use crazy glue and glue a second rare earth magnet to the first.
    08-03-13 05:49 PM
    I use my otter box 99% of the time and have no issues typing or swiping....i think it is just something you learn to do more efficiently as time goes by....
    Also I never use the clip....i don't know of any that keeps the phone 100% secure...a pocket works best for me...
    That said, everyone is different and will have different issues...the 2 things which bother me is I would like to have a screen protector for the box or else replaceable screens...the second is that I find the speaker opening at the bottom to sharp and annoying when holding the phone with one hand....will probably file it down one day...
    Do love the protection it gives as I work construction....waited 2 years for this phone and love it, would hate to have it dropped and broken or lost now....

Sent from my Quick as Flick Z10
    08-03-13 09:07 PM
    Ok, header of the post said Z10 but these posts made me check my Defender holster on the Q10 which I haven't used yet. Works just fine on the Q10. Sorry to hear it doesn't work as good on the Z10.

CB10 - Q10
    08-03-13 10:08 PM
    I hadn't kept up to much with BlackBerry recently until I got a new Z10 a couple days ago........................ I love the phone but just like everyone else I was less than pleased with my Otterbox Defender case. I wound up popping the magnet out of the holster I had for my 9700 and gluing it to the magnet in the Z10 holster as others have. Worked like a charm. I've also removed the screen protector from the case and that cleared up issues I was having with screen swipes & gestures.

I can't believe how bad OB has dropped the ball on this one. I too have had an Otterbox Defender on every BlackBerry or other smartphone I've owned and never have I seen anything this low quality come from them. I'm not thrilled about the holster and how easy the phone gets "pushed" around but I've got to have the rugged protection as well. Hopefully they'll do something to right this..........
    08-07-13 04:04 PM
32 12