Is the Z10 the only phone that runs java? Or can the iPhone or Android too?
    03-08-13 07:11 AM
    All can to varying degrees.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 07:13 AM
    Android yes....iphone nope only when you jailbreak the iphone

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
    03-08-13 07:13 AM
    Haha okay because I just installed a new Java version on the computer and it showed this:

http://oi46.tinypic.com/119rrd2.jpg
    03-08-13 07:15 AM
    That's because the old blackberry's (everything before bb10) were built primarily on java.

That was one of the main hangups with evolving the old os. You could only do so much with Java.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 07:21 AM
    If your question is does BlackBerry run on Java, then the answer is yes to older versions. The z10 doesn't, nor do any of the other devices.
    All the handsets run JavaScript which is what's on websites and how I answered the question.
    Hope this helps.
    03-08-13 07:23 AM
    Not sure if it is the same thing.. I mean like loading sites that run off of java on the browser?
    03-08-13 07:35 AM
    They all do that.
    The picture you put up is talking about the handset OS though.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 07:37 AM
    Ok I didn't think they all did that... I have tried loading sites that have java on it and I'd always get errors and it can't load because I don't have java. On my 9930.
    03-08-13 07:39 AM
    Jave script has always a little fiddly. It's one of the reason why they are pushing html5 so much.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 07:43 AM
    You may be confusing Java script with Java virtual machine, which I don't think any phones run. A JVM app will load over the web and run like a program using Java. An example of this are a lot of the stock trading platforms you see advertised on TV.
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    03-08-13 08:06 AM
    Java is such garbage, it has a new zero day exploit on a weekly basis.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 08:20 AM
    I'll chime in here as I've developed a little bit for the Z10. The Z10 is primarily built on C++ and uses a framework called Cascades (which itself is built on Qt). The core native stuff is also C/C++. My knowledge about the Android runtime on the phone is limited but I'd bet that it does have a Java Virtual Machine as Android is built on Java. To answer the threads title though, no, the Z10 is not the only smartphone that can run Java.
    03-08-13 08:25 AM
    Jave script has always a little fiddly. It's one of the reason why they are pushing html5 so much.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that's entirely true. For example the canvas object introduced in the HTML5 spec is meant for use with javascript, see: HTML5 Canvas

There's a lot of cool technologies being built with javascript alone, including things like Node.js and Meteor, also of course the JQuery and JQuery UI library is responsible for all the cool stuff you see on sites. And yet even further, techniques like AJAX are seen on everything from Facebook (when you scroll down and it says load more) to Grooveshark, where you see no page reloads but changes to the web document, that's Javascript.
    03-08-13 08:29 AM
    You may be confusing Java script with Java virtual machine, which I don't think any phones run. A JVM app will load over the web and run like a program using Java. An example of this are a lot of the stock trading platforms you see advertised on TV.
    I am confusing them two!
    03-08-13 11:05 AM
    I am confusing them two!
    Are you sure you don't mean flash?
    03-08-13 01:27 PM
    I am confusing them two!
    I don't think any smartphones or tablets run Java.
    03-08-13 01:36 PM
    Hmm, here's my two cents:

- HTML5 is (for the most part) a couple HTML tags and JavaScript library's. Very few HTML5 apps actually use HTML5...

-Z10 does not have Java. It does have JavaScript. It is built on Unix kernel called QNX. Its more like a desktop level OS.

-BB7 and earlier also did not have Java for websites, but the OS was built on Java. This meant Java apps could be repurposed.

-Android was also built on Java and some smaller phone OS's were also Java.

-Java is not a good language for OS building for several reasons including jvm, random garbage collection (why your phone freezes for periods), bad error handling, and difficult API support. Android came closest to overcoming most of those.

-Z10 supports Flash. BB7 and earlier does not. Android doesn't support flash but you can install it. iOS has no flash.

Just my opinions - correct or not . I'm a Java hater lol.

via Tapatalk
    03-08-13 01:37 PM