I do not have the latest Android or iOS device, so wanted to ask you, as you might know.

So, I was extremely happy when I found, that if you have enabled the BlackBerry Link on the phone and have BB Link installed in your Windows laptop, then, every time when both devices connect to same WIFI, Two Network Drives are mapped on my Windows machine:
    One for internal memory, another - for SD card.

it makes the music/video upload to phone/computer effortless and quick...

So, as I recently found, that iOS does not allow you to save (mp3) file from web (LOL?!), I am interested - does other platforms allow such device memory/cards mapping?
    Maybe app dependant? BB has it as NATIVE feature...
    Thanks!
    11-26-13 10:11 AM
    They probably just connect the device memory/SD card directly as removable storage, instead of mapping as a network drive. That's what non-QNX BlackBerry devices do.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 10:15 AM
    They probably just connect the device memory/SD card directly as removable storage, instead of mapping as a network drive. That's what non-QNX BlackBerry devices do.

Posted via CB10
    I know. You have to use USB Cable. and that's ok. I would do that without any problems...

BUT when you have such nice thing as transferring of files via air - that's awesome!
    and then, there's a question - Why other do not do that?
    it's like with iOS... You can't save mp3 file from browser. WHY?! And that's the platform everyone is buying... LOL.
    11-26-13 10:22 AM
    Apple is the worst in this regard. You can't save anything to the device that does not use some Apple-specific format and/or has to be done via iTunes Sync. It's pretty pathetic.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor and heyfarhaan like this.
    11-26-13 11:01 AM
    Apple is the worst in this regard. You can't save anything to the device that does not use some Apple-specific format and/or has to be done via iTunes Sync. It's pretty pathetic.

Posted via CB10
    It is pathetic. Why would anyone go for that? I cannot imagine myself doing that. That's like in communism...

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    11-26-13 11:48 AM
    Now, after Link update, that functions is not available, not it asks for phone to be connected to power source. Quote from Help:
    When your device is connected to the sme Wi-Fi network as your computer, and your device is also connected to a power source (such as an electrical outlet or a computer), you can sync your music, pictures, videos, and documents.
    But I remember, using it without power source. Am I only one having this problem?
    11-26-13 11:48 AM
    If you want to take this a step further... If your Z10 or Blackberry 10 device is on the same network as your computer, you can turn on the "access via wifi" feature under storage and access in settings. This will allow you to access your Z10 by typing in the ip address or name of the device in explorer and you can manually drop files on the device via wifi. I do this whenever I am transferring music folders or anything else I want on my Z30 or Playbook.
    11-26-13 11:59 AM
    Now, after Link update, that functions is not available, not it asks for phone to be connected to power source. Quote from Help:
    When your device is connected to the sme Wi-Fi network as your computer, and your device is also connected to a power source (such as an electrical outlet or a computer), you can sync your music, pictures, videos, and documents.
    But I remember, using it without power source. Am I only one having this problem?
    I only get that when I restore or backup from Link
    11-26-13 12:01 PM
    I am pretty sure apple can do this but not 100%. Android devices can do this though as i have used my nexus mapped as a network drive before
    11-26-13 12:09 PM
    I've moved files to and from the desktop computer at my house while I'm over an hour away from the house. It's an awesome feature. I use it all the time.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 12:10 PM
    I've moved files to and from the desktop computer at my house while I'm over an hour away from the house. It's an awesome feature. I use it all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Great feature was flakey in the first few versions of Link, but now solid.

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    11-26-13 12:33 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't trust any remote access program. Though if I had to use one, it would be from BlackBerry. BlackBerry understands security. (Just imagine the spyware a Google remote access program would have, or the incompetence of Apple.) Now if you could combine this with a VPN, that is probably secure.

The hacker community spends a great deal of time working on RDP, VNC, and other remote access protocols. You may recall the "rats" that were hacking Web cams.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 02:17 PM
    I have no problem with this, working like a charm, no need to be connected to a power source. Have full access from my computer or from my Z10 under File Manager
    11-26-13 05:07 PM
    Nice native feature
    11-26-13 05:31 PM
    I'm a newb still pretty impressed in general, but I have to say that I really don't understand why so many people complain about Link. What other system allows you to use your home or work computer as, basically, a private cloud? I love the fact that my pictures from my Z10 show up on my home computer automatically. I love being able to get a file from work no matter where I am. And the backups seem pretty complete and solid too. What are people complaining about? Coming from a new high-end Android that couldn't do anything like this, I just don't get it.
    gebco likes this.
    11-26-13 05:49 PM
    If you want to take this a step further... If your Z10 or Blackberry 10 device is on the same network as your computer, you can turn on the "access via wifi" feature under storage and access in settings. This will allow you to access your Z10 by typing in the ip address or name of the device in explorer and you can manually drop files on the device via wifi. I do this whenever I am transferring music folders or anything else I want on my Z30 or Playbook.
    For some reason, that doesn't work. In Settings>About>Network i can see that my Z10 IP is 192.168.1.3 /24 but if I type that address into explorer I get Page not found (i was just typing ip address without "/24". I tried to ping that ip address and it's all good. But for some reason I cannot access it. Ideas?
    11-26-13 06:08 PM
    *very ugly curse* My Link now works with my Z10 via Wi-Fi... I'm not sure what I did... Maybe Access Via Wi-Fi was turned off for some reason...
    But still, I'm interested how to map those drives, to use them for example in my Total Commander.
    Now I remembered, I restarted my phone. Funny how I didn't do that before, even thou I did restart my computer at least dozen times
    Last edited by Marko M1; 11-26-13 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Just remembered
    11-26-13 06:19 PM
    Now, problem is: I cannot write anything to Flash (phone memory) from explorer. I can only access memory card. And I cannot even change Permissions on Flash memory.
    11-26-13 06:56 PM
    I manually mapped the drives, they work perfect, sometimes with the auto set up it did with my windows 8, it would work but some times it wouldn't, when I mapped the drives they are now always there, had to map 2 separate so that 1 accesses the phone and one access the memory card

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 07:10 PM
    And I have not figured out how to do it with my note 3 or galaxy s4

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 07:11 PM
    I'm a newb still pretty impressed in general, but I have to say that I really don't understand why so many people complain about Link. What other system allows you to use your home or work computer as, basically, a private cloud? I love the fact that my pictures from my Z10 show up on my home computer automatically. I love being able to get a file from work no matter where I am. And the backups seem pretty complete and solid too. What are people complaining about? Coming from a new high-end Android that couldn't do anything like this, I just don't get it.
    Most of the complaints about BlackBerry Link are from people that used BlackBerry desktop manager.

There are probably driver issues for bb10 and BlackBerry Link gets the bad reputation. My desktop would need repeated usb insertions to get the phone recognized. No problem on my notebook. Could be AM versus intel.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 02:21 AM
    Nop, using it as always, no need to charge with the new link

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 05:44 AM