CB Community:
    I have done quite a bit of searching on the forum and the web in general and I am not finding any real satisfactory answers for my quandary. To start off, I am platform agnostic, and I currently have a 9930 (VZW) and I frequently use it as a PMP (Personal Media Player) for my library of M4A audio. I am considering an upgrade to a newer phone, but the ability to perform VERY WELL as a PMP is essential. None of the Z10 reviews really touch on the music player or audio quality, so the small bits of information there wasn't much help.

I could buy a Z10 (but the music player MUST be an improvement over the PlayBook music player, which is quite poor even when compared to the player on OS7.1), the hopefully soon to be announced Nokia Lumia 928/Lazer/Catwalk (assuming it has a good music player and a SD card slot) or wait for the 64GB HTC One variant to release on VZW and pick that up. I have used Android prior to my switch to BlackBerry so I am familiar with the music player options and functionality.

I could keep using my 9930 but the 32GB limitation on the SD card has been a real hassle for me as I have close to 50GB of music that I carry with me. I rotate between my ZuneHD, Nokia N9 (not compatible with VZW), and HTC Incredible (Power AMP) for music player duties, but I would like to be able to carry a SINGLE device. No, I don't listen to all of the music every time I am out, but having to create playlists with anticipation of my musical mood for each day is a real PITA and re-syncing ~30GB of music to my 9930 takes a long time. Many people question the NEED for 64GB of storage space or SD slot expansion, but I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I don't NEED it, but I would LIKE it.

My question is for Z10 owners who USE their phones as Media Players for music and their honest experiences. Would I be happy with the Z10's capabilities or would I better served going elsewhere for my specific wants? If I should look elsewhere, what other options would you recommend? I'll probably cross post this on the other M.Nations forums for feedback there as well. Thanks for any help you can provide.

~Ex

NOTE: The cost of the iPhone 5 (64GB) is prohibitive off contract ($850); I am confined to VZW or AT&T due to geographic location; I currently have a grandfathered Unlimited Plan on VZW that I would lose in a contract upgrade and I don't want to lose that. I am also not a fan of the SGS phone series as they look and feel cheap and I don't jive with the touchwiz interface.
    03-25-13 03:03 PM
    With Neutron player the Z10 (and playbook) is outstanding. To be honest, the playbook seems to sound a little better due to its superior sound chip, but the app brings out the best in the Z10. It is currently waiting for a much needed update to fix some SD card issues but when it does update it will be linked to my Bose sound dock on a daily basis Brilliant app with excellent phone
    03-25-13 03:08 PM
    As far as playback quality goes, I haven't really noticed any difference between it and iOS' playback quality. In general I would think most phones are ballpark within each other on that one.

My only gripe is that it doesn't support ALAC.

With Neutron player the Z10 (and playbook) is outstanding. To be honest, the playbook seems to sound a little better due to its superior sound chip, but the app brings out the best in the Z10. It is currently waiting for a much needed update to fix some SD card issues but when it does update it will be linked to my Bose sound dock on a daily basis Brilliant app with excellent phone
    I have uber troubles with Neutron and playback in my car. The app seems to try to compensate for every song in the list raising and lowering its sound based on the song. Sometimes I'll get really loud songs that will quite down once the bass kicks in or visa versa.
    Without messing with the EQ the playback quality was poor. Really quiet, lacking any kind of feel to the song.
    03-25-13 03:10 PM
    I use mine as my main music player both while on the go and in my car. Now, I have a bit of a biased opinion though; I made my own app because I didn't like the built-in music player on the PlayBook and then ported it to the Z10 once I got it.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/97073

I was never a fan of making playlists because I was a stickler for having my music folders organized properly. That, along with the want for larger buttons for use in my car (safety), I started development on DashPlayer. The name of course is because of the initial idea for use in the car. Anyway, not trying to sell my app, just throwing it out there as an alternative to the default music player that might better suit your needs.
    tinker2000 likes this.
    03-25-13 03:17 PM
    "I have uber troubles with Neutron and playback in my car. The app seems to try to compensate for every song in the list raising and lowering its sound based on the song. Sometimes I'll get really loud songs that will quite down once the bass kicks in or visa versa.
    Without messing with the EQ the playback quality was poor. Really quiet, lacking any kind of feel to the song"

I never found that and its great for me....We all have different ears
    03-25-13 03:22 PM
    I will check out Neutron Player on my PB and see how that is. I hope they have a free version. Would be a nice trial. If BB10 had a proper version of Power AMP (Android music app) I would jump. Probably the best music program I have used on ANY phone/tablet. I'd be more than willing to re-buy it even. Good software, good sorting/browsing options, a real shuffle option (for songs and by album), coupled with hardware buttons are my dream PMP. The 9930 does a commendable job at this despite being a creaky OS and having limited storage options. I have been sorely disappointed with the lack of progression/development on the PB music player and that gives me significant pause when considering the Z10. I don't needs tons of apps or netflix or skype or any of that stuff, but a solid music/media experience is essential to me when considering a purchase.

Any other multi-phone owners who have good experiences with other platforms that may fill the need? At worst, I will end up keeping my 9930 for another 6-12 months and see how BB10/iOS/WP8/Android progress in terms of software/hardware before making a decision and continue to carry 2 devices. I'm not in any real hurry, but I would like to have some suitable options. Until then, I curse VZW and their poor phone selection. SGS3/4, iPhone, Motorola, or some 6" phone thing... poor form.

~Ex
    03-25-13 05:07 PM
    personally, i think the stock player is pretty damn good and i am all about only listening to HQ music...

If you want the android music player, you can always sideload it onto your z10 for free. The bar file is available @ goodereader here: Android Music Player for Playbook and BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Audio and Video Apps | Android APPS - BB10 Apps & Playbook Apps
    03-28-13 07:59 PM
    It's adequte.
    I noticed that the volume is poor tho. If I am near heavy traffic I can barely hear my music unless I turn it to full

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 08:02 PM
    It's not bad, I find the vol low too compared to my Sony xperia but gets the job done. I use a set of quality ear buds which makes it sound 10 better in terms of quality.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 08:47 PM
    I always thought PMP meant portable media player, not personal. lol.

Anyway, as mentioned, the Qualcomm DAC on the Z10 is pretty average. Its not bad, but if you have a good pair of headphones, and good ears you can probably tell the difference. However if you are a casual listener, the Z10 will do a decent job. 64GB sd card slot is definitely a plus. The default music player is not too bad but lacking equalizer settings. Neutron as mentioned is pretty decent though if you want more control.

If you like to play your music using built-in speakers, then it will probably be the HTC One without a doubt.
    03-28-13 09:18 PM
    Finally took the plunge and gave Neutron MP a go on my Playbook last night. I can't say I am impressed. The sound was fine, but the UI was VERY laggy and unintuitive. I wasn't terribly impressed outside of being able to quickly browse through my 7,500 songs much more easily than on the stock player. The other downside I noticed was that the whole system slowed down considerably after installation. I even rebooted the PlayBook to see if that would help, and it did, somewhat. Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'll be waiting to see how things progress on the BB10 front as well as what the competition offers over the next few months.

~Ex
    04-11-13 09:32 AM