Hello All,

First post here. I have the new BlackBerry Z10 (yay me!), and when it comes to email I've noticed that the LED stops blinking after a few minutes. In addition, the LED stops immediately when I peak at the HUB, regardless of actually opening the new email.

So my question in two-fold: Is there any way to tweak the LED notification so that the LED keeps blinking until I've actually opened and read a new email? And why does the LED stop blinking after a few minutes?

Thanks!
    04-07-13 08:36 AM
    I don't believe that there is anyway to tweak for LED, if is either on or off. You can look for Hub++ in blackberry world and see if it has the functionality that you are looking for.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:40 AM
    The LED notification has always stopped after 15 minutes of inactivity on BB's, as a battery saving measure.
    It's only there to notify you of new messages. If you've peeked in the Hub, it's job is done, hence it stops.
    The only way to keep it on for longer is by using a third party app.
    DawgMan and John Pawling like this.
    04-07-13 08:42 AM
    We're all waiting on an update for this.. Hopefully it's slipped into the 10.1 update.

I'm loosing hope that any of our frustrations will be fixed in a timely manner. The first update was 4 weeks after launch, and now it feels like the Z10 has been pushed aside due to the Q10. Too bad because this thing is "Almost a great Phone"

That Motorola phone is looking better each day...

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:45 AM
    We're all waiting on an update for this.. Hopefully it's slipped into the 10.1 update.
    Well, I feel a little better that this is a "known issue", I thought maybe it was just my phone. Thanks for the fast replies!
    04-07-13 08:50 AM
    Well, I feel a little better that this is a "known issue", I thought maybe it was just my phone. Thanks for the fast replies!
    I wouldn't call it an issue. It stops blinking after you peek as its done its job and notified you. If it were to stay on until I've actually opened my messages, it would stay on forever. I currently have 90 unread emails and am glad that I don't have the blinking light on while I look at my phone

Posted via CB10
    DawgMan and Spawn12 like this.
    04-07-13 09:04 AM
    I agree it should stop when u check the hub, but it shouldn't stop after 30 minutes by itself. Battery saver my ***. I have a key chain led flashlight with a watch battery that has lasted a year. The battery draw is minimal at most.

I work in an office tower which has poor reception. For many years I've counted on the green LED to tell me my phone is connected. For the last two months I feel naked with my Z10 and not knowing. It's a feature I've boasted about for years to non BlackBerry users. And now they've shot me down

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 09:46 AM
    I agree they should have kept the green led. It's the first thing I looked for when I got mine.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 09:51 AM
    I agree it should stop when u check the hub, but it shouldn't stop after 30 minutes by itself. Battery saver my ***. I have a key chain led flashlight with a watch battery that has lasted a year. The battery draw is minimal at most.

I work in an office tower which has poor reception. For many years I've counted on the green LED to tell me my phone is connected. For the last two months I feel naked with my Z10 and not knowing. It's a feature I've boasted about for years to non BlackBerry users. And now they've shot me down

Posted via CB10
    Not to be an ***, but doesn't the power cord attached to your phone pose a strong indicator that your phone is connected?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 09:51 AM
    I think he meant the green LED as in if his phone is connected to the network. It was a notification to tell you if you had signal or not.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 10:06 AM
    I wouldn't call it an issue. It stops blinking after you peek as its done its job and notified you. If it were to stay on until I've actually opened my messages, it would stay on forever. I currently have 90 unread emails and am glad that I don't have the blinking light on while I look at my phone

Posted via CB10
    Precisely. There is a rather large difference between "unread" and "new" messages. You'll also notice that once you go into the Hub, if you don't read a message, the star (indicating "new") disappears, causing the LED to turn off, but the number (indicating "unread") remains.

JB
    cjcampbell likes this.
    04-07-13 10:09 AM
    Battery saver my ***. I have a key chain led flashlight with a watch battery that has lasted a year. The battery draw is minimal at most.
    Thats pretty good. I'm going to assume that your flashlight doesn't require software to tell your hardware what to do and when though... Your comparison of a flashlight to smart phone is apples to oranges.

I understand LED's are extremely efficient, but the power draw in this situation is not limited to just the LED.

-RYknow
    Spawn12 likes this.
    04-07-13 11:11 AM
    Ya CJ.. its a feature of all blackberry phones since the beginning. It's just a good feature that a lot of seasoned blackberry users relied upon. If you have reception it flashes green and no reception it flashed yellow And red if there was a message. You could always turn it off if you didn't like it. For people who work in office towers (ie business execs) , live in basement apts or even have a cottage not close to a tower, it's a really really good feature that is underappreciated by the average kid using blackberry these days. One day it will be back

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 11:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I like that it stops after peeking.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    04-07-13 11:48 AM
    Ya CJ.. its a feature of all blackberry phones since the beginning. It's just a good feature that a lot of seasoned blackberry users relied upon. If you have reception it flashes green and no reception it flashed yellow And red if there was a message. You could always turn it off if you didn't like it. For people who work in office towers (ie business execs) , live in basement apts or even have a cottage not close to a tower, it's a really really good feature that is underappreciated by the average kid using blackberry these days. One day it will be back

Posted via CB10
    I can appreciate that but doesn't the signal indicator at the top do the same thing? I'm not discounting your like of the feature, just trying to understand the feeling of loss people are having. When I'm at my cottage I can see what my signal strength is. It's almost always EDGE or SOS so I know what it's like to be in a very poor signal area.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 11:49 AM
    Agreed. I like that it stops after peeking.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    +1

-RYknow
    04-07-13 11:56 AM
    And app that control the phones LED light giving you options to change colors and even the length of time from 1min to forever for the LED indicator blinking will solve your problems. I am using an app called Color LED Message got in the app world for $1.99 and I can control length of LED and the LED won't stop until you go into the message read it before the LED will stop blinking. The only problem or issue is the app has to continue to run in the background...but in its minimized state it gives you battery and data consumption rates so that's pretty nice. I've been running this LED app for over a week and it's been great.
    04-07-13 12:03 PM
    Wait, I'm confused here. I don't have my Z10 yet because of our stupid corporate policy. Is there not a service indicator for the LED? And you mean to tell me that the LED will stop blinking after a period of time regardless if you've read the email or not? If so that really stinks.
    04-07-13 12:12 PM
    I agree...why have it if you have to run to your phone every whatever minutes to make sure you haven't missed the notification...redundant.
    04-07-13 12:20 PM
    I like how the red LED functions as it is. However on the subject of LEDs am I the only one who really misses the blue led showing the Bluetooth is connected?
    04-07-13 12:40 PM
    I like how the red LED functions as it is. However on the subject of LEDs am I the only one who really misses the blue led showing the Bluetooth is connected?
    That one for me was the most annoying. I had my pb bridged pretty much all the time and got really sick of having that flashing constantly.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 12:43 PM
    I think we've all gotten the point here. It's not an argument thread like the camera click lol.. i read those threads and didn't even participate because of how people were acting before it was closed.

The thing is we have an LED that changes color and isn't used. Yes I can unlock my phone every once in a while to check the status of my reception. Why have the LED at all then? We can always check the status of messages too by unlocking.. We all know blackberry will bring this back, I shouldn't have to pay for an app that I have to keep in the active frames. Kind of defeats the purpose since another issue that will hopefully be addressed is allowing apps to run natively in the background. My intent on even adding to this thread was not to sound like a complainer, but to materialize and keep on top of a feature that shouldn't be on the back burner.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 01:07 PM
    Wait, I'm confused here. I don't have my Z10 yet because of our stupid corporate policy. Is there not a service indicator for the LED? And you mean to tell me that the LED will stop blinking after a period of time regardless if you've read the email or not? If so that really stinks.
    Yep no service led anymore but hopefully they are add it in a future update or maybe a 3rd party dev will incorporate it into their app ie bebuzz and hub++.
    And uhhh yes, the led will stop blinking after 15 mins, this is no different from any of the older bb's so why u think this stinks is beyond me. Only way on older bb's you could have the led blink longer was by using a 3rd party app like bebuzz or any of the other ones that were available.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 01:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    agree with you. i do hope they bring it back. pretty useful to see the green led especially leaving it somewhere on the bed in a pitch black room.. now, i have to place my z10 near my storm2 so i could look for it.
    04-07-13 01:31 PM
    Yep no service led anymore but hopefully they are add it in a future update or maybe a 3rd party dev will incorporate it into their app ie bebuzz and hub++.
    And uhhh yes, the led will stop blinking after 15 mins, this is no different from any of the older bb's so why u think this stinks is beyond me. Only way on older bb's you could have the led blink longer was by using a 3rd party app like bebuzz or any of the other ones that were available.

Posted via CB10
    Uhhh you don't have to be a smart ***. I realize it would go off after a period of time and I did use bebuzz, I'm more bummed that it doesn't have the service light. I was simply asking a question. Some of you guys are such pricks its almost laughable in here now.
    04-07-13 01:35 PM
26 12