I've had my BlackBerry Z10 for almost a month now, and I have to say, I'm pretty happy with it. I've stayed away from full touch screen phones for a while, preferring the "real" keyboards on my 8310, 9700, and 9900; I do a lot of typing, and I enjoyed the speed and accuracy which they provided. However, I just needed to grab the first BB10 device, and, surprisingly, I'm not disappointed with the keyboard at all.
    Of course, the physical keyboard, at least for me, did provide a faster, two-handed typing experience, and I liked that I didn't have to look at my phone while composing text, but it was, undeniably, a less pleasurable experience for one-handed typing. Here's where the Z10 shines, in my opinion. In the first place, it's the best touch screen keyboard I've ever used (keep in mind, my experience with previous ones was limited to those of friends, family members, etc., and I never used one as extensively as I've used my Z10), and, while I do kind of miss how seamlessly my thoughts seemed to flow to my messages, without delay, on the physical keyboard, I don't mind using the swipe function. In fact, it allows me to type extremely quickly and accurately with one hand, something that I couldn't do on my older phones. That being said, there are a couple changes that I would like to see, and they're ones that I think BlackBerry should implement, if they really want to develop a "perfect" touch screen keyboard.

Punctuation:
    While the comma and period both work well with words entered by means of swiping, I've noticed that other forms of punctuation, such as the semi-colon, parentheses, dash, etc., are all separated from the last entered word by a space (again, this is only when using swipe-based input). This means that I have to use the delete button before entering any of these characters. I would love it if BlackBerry could modify all forms of punctuation to behave similarly to both the comma and the period, so that there aren't extra spaces left lying around.
    Word Prediction:
    We're provided with the option to clear all predictive text information; however, we aren't given the ability to edit specific word substitution options. This isn't a major problem, but there are some words that I'd like to remove so that they don't keep popping up on my keyboard, and I don't want to delete all the other patterns that the device has learned. I feel as though adding an option to edit predictive text information, instead of just clearing it, would be a great addition.

Does anyone agree, have any thoughts, or perhaps even have a solution to either of my problems? Thanks!
    FF22 and kthhrrsn like this.
    05-01-13 05:19 PM
    I agree on both ideas

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 05:22 PM
    Hear here!

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 05:24 PM

Punctuation:
    While the comma and period both work well with words entered by means of swiping, I've noticed that other forms of punctuation, such as the semi-colon, parentheses, dash, etc., are all separated from the last entered word by a space (again, this is only when using swipe-based input). This means that I have to use the delete button before entering any of these characters. I would love it if BlackBerry could modify all forms of punctuation to behave similarly to both the comma and the period, so that there aren't extra spaces left lying around.
    This is getting really, really annoying. Does anyone have a solution or a (better) workaround yet? I'm a leak loader and I've yet to see this work.
    11-25-13 03:39 PM
    I agree completely with both ideas

BBZ10
    11-25-13 04:01 PM
    I'd like to see a long press . (period),...provide options,...perse, a semi-colon, exclamation mark, or open/close parenthesis, etc! Now we're cooking with grease!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and kthhrrsn like this.
    11-25-13 04:04 PM
    Absolutely agree with OP. Sometimes I accidentally misspell a term, then the keyboard learns it and keeps suggesting it! I'd like to delete it buy I certainly don't want to restart the entire learning process! I don't really understand why they didn't allow access to this, much like the word substitution list.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:41 PM
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 01:33 AM
    Absolutely agree with OP. Sometimes I accidentally misspell a term, then the keyboard learns it and keeps suggesting it! I'd like to delete it buy I certainly don't want to restart the entire learning process! I don't really understand why they didn't allow access to this, much like the word substitution list.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe they can introduce a swipe down feature for the word which we don't want the phone to remember...
    You swipe down twice on a word and the learnt word would be deleted!

This should be an awesome feature

Posted via the awesome keyboard on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055 using CB10 App
    11-26-13 03:54 AM
    Maybe they can introduce a swipe down feature for the word which we don't want the phone to remember...
    You swipe down twice on a word and the learnt word would be deleted!

This should be an awesome feature

Posted via the awesome keyboard on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055 using CB10 App
    Excellent idea!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 06:32 AM
    I agree!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 06:33 AM
    Like the OP I am a recent convert to a touch screen phone, having used a 9900 and a couple different Curves for several years before this.

I still struggle a bit with typing accuracy. The autocorrect is very good, but my low level OCD would prefer if I didn't have to rely on it so much I like the suggestions. I would also like to be able to edit the autocorrect choices. For me there are a few words that it constantly corrects that aren't wrong...for example, for some reason it regularly insists on replacing the word "Are" with the word "Ate". Not always, but most of the time. "When are you going to finish that report?", becomes "When ate you going to finish that report?". No matter how many times I go back and correct it, it still insists. I'm not sure how this would work, because there are times when you would want to type the word "ate", but I don't think nearly as often as the word "are".
    11-26-13 09:03 AM