To be perfectly honest battery life on z10 is simply not good enough imo. I am at f1 weekend in Texas now. I take moderate # of photos, some video and send them to Facebook etc. The battery is almost dry between 9am to 1pm. 4 hours. This is not good at all imo. I souls expect the phone to run at least for 9 - 10 hours without a charge

Posted via CB10
    nuke99 likes this.
    11-16-13 06:01 PM
    No it's true. I will usually only get 4-6 hours a day. Some days when I'm barely on the phone and the battery last a little longer but what good is a phone you don't want to use for fear of the battery dying on you? I used to make fun of iPhone users for this very thing. Karma? Lol. I literally need to carry my spare battery with me everywhere I go. Going from the 9700 to the Z10 has been a traumatic experience (for more reasons than just the battery life but whatever that's another topic for another day). I'm very disappointed.

Don't assume we're idiots - *****. I've made all of the recommended battery saving tweaks. I think the difference in battery life may be due to several other factors.

1) I have a ton of apps installed (I rarely use them but they are there).

2) On 10.1 we have no way of knowing what is running in the background to help optimize battery life.

3) I have 5 email accounts, FB and LinkedIn and over 600 contacts on my phone. This may be a factor also.

4) I have two languages turned on. Predictive text I think also plays a part in battery life.

5) I'm on T-Mobile in South Florida and the network coverage here is crap.

6) Wi-Fi usage.

7) Android apps.

Can anyone else having these same issues sound off here? Also, you guys with great battery life please let us know too.

Posted via CB10
    As someone who does get good battery life, thought I'd comment...

1. I have a ton of apps loaded, at least 150. I use a lot of them frequently. I keep two or three active most of the time (bebuzz and beweather at least)

2. I don't recall if the device manager was there under 10.1, but on 10.2 it does show info on running apps. Not that it makes much difference cause what are you going to do about it? But if you had an app that wakes up frequently to check something this could help identify it.

3. I have 4 very active email accounts, Facebook, Twitter, linkedin, whatsapp, bbm. I do a lot of sms messaging as well. I have over 1200 contacts.

4. I also have two languages turned on

5. I'm on Verizon in a large city (chicago). Good coverage is key to battery life.

6. I always have wifi on. I'm also in a wifi zone almost all the time -- at home, at work, at Starbucks etc. Using a wifi connection when available will improve battery life in my experience. Only time it will be a negative is if the wifi signal is very weak. If I know I will be away from wifi for a long time I'll turn it off. But I try to avoid that because it's easy to forget to turn it back on. Btw I'm a heavy data user buy because I'm almost always on wifi I rarely go over 1gb on my data plan!

7. I have many sideloaded android apps. I don't believe that affect battery use any more than other apps.

Now. To add a few...

8. I keep my screen brightness at about 3/4 which I find is more than sufficient. I also set timeout to 30 seconds. The screen will eat a battery faster than most other things.

9. I use a large, fast, good quality media card. 32 gb sandisk. I keep as much as possible on the media card, leaving as much free space as I can on the device memory.

10. I keep location services on, but traffic data collection and location ads off. I allow gestures when locked. I use a holster with magnet auto sleep.

In my experience the biggest drain occurs when cell coverage is weak. I can drain my battery pretty quickly if I stay in the basement all day! Same with a weak wifi signal. I have a large home, so I installed three bridged wifi routers, including one in the basement, to solve that problem.

Games also devour batteries! I don't play he's much, but if I do I will top up the power afterwards by dropping the phone in a charging cradle. I keep one at home and one at work.

Posted via CB10
    zymenth likes this.
    11-16-13 06:15 PM
    Ok, so to try to get to the bottom of this, here is my usage and battery times (let's see if we can find a pattern).

Stl100-2
    Wifi off unless needed
    Bluetooth on in the car only
    Data connection enabled
    Push email enabled for one account
    All apps stopped when not being used
    Brightness set on low
    10+ photos a day
    2+ videos a day (kids)
    1hr gaming
    1-2 hours browsing (most on wifi)
    Occasional videos (crackle, iview, taken)
    Crackberry
    Many texts 10+
    Many calls 10+

Off charger 6:30am (on all night)
    On around midnight
    Lowest charge 15%
    Highest 37%
    I check the charge before connecting the charger.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:21 PM
    Why would you post something so stupid as using a phone to jump a car?? This guy is a douch!

Lazer etched post via my Z-10 super duper BlackBerry mobile device!
    11-16-13 06:24 PM
    Why would you post something so stupid as using a phone to jump a car?? This guy is a douch!

Lazer etched post via my Z-10 super duper BlackBerry mobile device!
    So it doesn't work?

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my Google iBerry Cranial Implant
    11-16-13 06:26 PM
    No it's true. I will usually only get 4-6 hours a day. Some days when I'm barely on the phone and the battery last a little longer but what good is a phone you don't want to use for fear of the battery dying on you? I used to make fun of iPhone users for this very thing. Karma? Lol. I literally need to carry my spare battery with me everywhere I go. Going from the 9700 to the Z10 has been a traumatic experience (for more reasons than just the battery life but whatever that's another topic for another day). I'm very disappointed.

Don't assume we're idiots - *****. I've made all of the recommended battery saving tweaks. I think the difference in battery life may be due to several other factors.

1) I have a ton of apps installed (I rarely use them but they are there).

2) On 10.1 we have no way of knowing what is running in the background to help optimize battery life.

3) I have 5 email accounts, FB and LinkedIn and over 600 contacts on my phone. This may be a factor also.

4) I have two languages turned on. Predictive text I think also plays a part in battery life.

5) I'm on T-Mobile in South Florida and the network coverage here is crap.

6) Wi-Fi usage.

7) Android apps.

Can anyone else having these same issues sound off here? Also, you guys with great battery life please let us know too.

Posted via CB10
    If you have 5 email accounts make sure you set the sync interval to24 hours for everything...email, calendar, contacts, for every account. this drastically improved my battery life

Posted via CB10
    zymenth likes this.
    11-16-13 06:36 PM
    I use mine quite a bit. Just turn LTE off when not using it and you should be good. I'm on 33hrs and still at 28% believe it or not. 10.2 made an amazing change to the battery life, especially when sitting idle.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 07:22 AM
    Okay. I just changed the sync interval to 24 hours. I assume this is only for synchronizing the inbox and contacts/calendars and doesn't affect incoming mail. I will monitor this and report back.

I can't do anything about the coverage strength because T-MOBILE is crap around where I live. If coverage is one of the biggest things then

To answer the previous question, my battery life is so poor that if I did have a way of noticing an app's resource usage and I found a culprit I would try my best to reduce (change app settings) or eliminate (remove app) the problem.

Also I don't have any side loaded apps. My android apps are android ports. My phone tends to get very hot when using them and also with GPS.

Dude your screen is set to 30 minutes lol I have it set to 10 seconds or something! If I set it to 30 minutes I would probably have to keep my phone on the charger perpetually lol

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:10 AM
    I have the battery charger kit with spare battery. I have one battery that lasts me 5hrs with medium usage and the other lasts me all day
    I think not all batteries are created equal.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:32 AM
    The short and skinny is that user experience will vary, some like it, some won't, but as many battery rants as we have out there, this is the way they go. Unless someone has a video of an iPhone jumping a car, I think we're done.
    11-18-13 08:33 AM
60 123