I recently came back to Blackberry after a three year exit because I had seriously thought they had lost touch with the consumer and fell into complacency and had not delivered a product I wanted for two years. I decided to come back because of the z10 and have been using it on the T-Mobile USA network for the past four weeks as my daily driver. I have had some of the same issues allot of folks are having with a new OS such as GMail issues, device restarts and some of the learning curves that come with adapting to a new smart phone and OS.

On Tuesday of this week, I had a couple of device restarts and one happened right in the middle of an important phone call with one of my clients. I was so pissed and at that point serious considered going back to my iPhone 5. Granted, it was a stale OS which I had grown tired of, but!!!!! It worked when I needed it, never restarted on it's own and had been a solid device since buying it on the launch day in Spet 2012.

So I decied to try an experiment to see if I could honestly go back to my previous platform after being on the z10 for 4 solid weeks at which I had become very familiar with the device and the OS features. Here is what I discovered and is based on my experience.

I restored my iPhone 5 from recent backup, so I had the same system I had used before I made the move to the z10. The first thing I noticed was the home button method of navigation was not going to make it anymore. I had grown so used to using the swipe functions to navigate, I hated pressing that damm button to close an app or navigate thru the OS.

I also noticed I was back to hearing the stupid ding sound when I had a notification waiting and no LED flashing like the z10. The first major difference I noticed was the BB Hub was not there!!! WTF, now I had to rely on a stupid number showing up in an icon or pulling down the notification screen to access to my email and messages. The BB Hub is something I can no longer live without.

For those of you who have used Apple IOS, try to delete a text message, it's a pian in the ****. In the BB Hub, long press and select the trash can from the menu and done!!! quick and easy.

You really do not know how much you miss these features until you have to go back and use a device that doesn't have these anymore. The notification system on Apple IOS is terrible compared to the z10. No flashing LED, no notification icons on the home screen. This is where the z10 really shines for me and increases my productivity.

Now, I will get into one issue where the Apple IOS is still much better it, at least for me, is the GMail interface. WAIT!!! Before you go and barbecue me. I can see "ALL" my messages in "ALL" my folders instead of just being able to see the ones that where edited or created on the z10. When I delete a message in the IOS interface, it shows up in the trash just like my desktop and not the "all" folder like the z10 interface does. I can also see "ALL my messages back further then the 30 day limit on the z10. I can live with this for the time being, but it needs to be addresses and fixed in a future update.

One issue I think needs to be addressed and is a serious one from my perspective, is the warranty and technical support issues with the z10. If I have a problem with my Apple device, I can make an appointment at the genius bar at the Apple store and have one of their tech's look at it and if there is a problem, they give me a new device right there on the spot.

Not have some store try and sell me some BS insurance scam at 7.00 a month for something I just paid 550.00 for and once the 14 day return policy is up, I am at their mercy, BS!!! There needs to be some sort of direct repair system tied right to Blackberry where if I need a replacement, I get one right there on the spot, just like their competitor?

I am going to beat a dead horse here, this issue is an important one because the smart phone industry has changed dramatically over the past few years and availability of core apps that are common between all the platforms need to be available if you want to survive, thats just the way it is whether you like it or not. I am not talking about crummy android ports that don't work properly and cause OS issues, I am talking built for Blackberry OS10 apps that have the same or better features then our competition.

I only use a couple of core apps myself i.e. eBay, Craigslist and Skype and I know the eBay app is here, but it's an android port and it's terrible, I had to wipe my z10 because the damm eBay app would not uninstall from my device? This should never happen in 2013, period. Well enough of that.

After using the iPhone 5 for the past two days, I have decided that the z10 is the device I have been looking for the past year, the Hub, Swipe and Gesturing functions have improved my work flow and in todays business world, thats what I expect when I spend my hard earned money on any new smartphone. The z10 is not without it's faults by any stretch of the imagination, but these are all minor and will and should be fixed in future updates.

For folks out there who have had some of the same issues I have had, have gotten frustrated and want to take the z10 back and go back to what they where using before, WAIT!! Try using your old device after using the z10 for solid month and you will find yourself doing what I did. Putting your old device on eBay or Craigslist and never looking back. Just my observation for what it's worth.
    04-12-13 12:36 PM
    So, I gather -- since you've had it for so long -- you didn't buy the "official" T-Mo phone on their launch day? Because it does seem most people on T-Mo are not experiencing the restart issue. I'm not.
    04-12-13 12:40 PM
    Good Story. Long but good.

Glad you like your Z10
    bruteforce037 likes this.
    04-12-13 12:40 PM
    So, I gather -- since you've had it for so long -- you didn't buy the "official" T-Mo phone on their launch day? Because it does seem most people on T-Mo are not experiencing the restart issue. I'm not.
    I had an unlocked Rogers 100-3 version until the launch here and sold it to a guy who was on AT&T and wanted it. I bought the T-Mobile version on launch day and have been using it since then. I have had a few restarts on the T-Mobile version, but not taking it back for a replacement. Waiting for future updates because I think it's software and/or OS related. Just my opinion.
    04-12-13 12:45 PM
    Is your device updated?

It's cool how you can delete emails by long pressing an item and dragging it to the right to the delete button without having to lift a finger.

I wasn't aware that the hub can only log up to 30 days of emails. I assumed that it could go longer because the older BlackBerry could. There is an option in the accounts setting to allow to sync the last 30 days of that account though, so you may have been mistaken.

Thanks for the story though.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 12:48 PM
    Yep, latest firmware 10.0.0.85 from T-Mobile.
    04-12-13 12:50 PM
    The first thing I noticed was the home button method of navigation was not going to make it anymore. I had grown so used to using the swipe functions to navigate, I hated pressing that damm button to close an app or navigate thru the OS.
    My favorite part!

Excellent post, I really enjoyed reading it. I agree with you on nearly every point. Especially regarding BlackBerry customer service. I hope Thor catches on to this and changes BlackBerry customer service for the better

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 12:56 PM

I wasn't aware that the hub can only log up to 30 days of emails. I assumed that it could go longer because the older BlackBerry could. There is an option in the accounts setting to allow to sync the last 30 days of that account though, so you may have been mistaken.

Posted via CB10
    As of right now, the Z10 will only keep 30 days of email. That will be corrected in the upcoming 10.1 update

Posted via CB10
    brout and mikewpg1ca like this.
    04-12-13 12:58 PM
    I fully believe that BlackBerry will fix the email problem. With all the complaints and it's common sense business owners don't like it. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. The apps definitely should be native. Maybe eBay and etc just want to see how it does before making a completely native app. Sucks you are having reboot issues. Hopefully the next update will stop that.

Thanks for the story. It was a good read.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    04-12-13 01:10 PM
    Great write up by the OP...... As for reset issue.... I would simply return it for a new one... I agree on the warranty and service issue... Have a defective Playbook.... All I want is an RMA but have to supply a credit card to just talk to customer service.... this is my second issue so I am only 8 months into the warranty but is my second incident so I have to pay.. Apple to me is not much better....IPad died 6 months into warranty... took it to ye old Apple store... sent it away for servicing... did not see it for 6 months.... so you can find horror stories everywhere... as for software.... something to remember and easily forgotten... we are dealing with a first gen OS with an established IOS which has been around for 5 years... so yah... there will be bugs but all things considered... and excellent start all things considered....
    Skrypno likes this.
    04-12-13 01:22 PM
    It's really weird hearing about these restart issues. I got my white z10 unlocked from Rogers(couldn't wait) and using it on T Mobile and I never had a restart ever. Sounds like a sucky issue for ppl that do

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 01:38 PM
    Good write up but I'm confused on a couple of things.

1. Why is deleting a text message on iOS hard? You swipe left and click delete. What am I missing here?

2. There are customizable homescreen setting for notifications in iOS. You can get the icon to show you that you have a message, have it show at the top and then in the notification pull down, or have it come into the homescreen. All of these options can be customized and can show the icon displaying a missed or unread message.
    Last edited by donnation; 04-12-13 at 02:08 PM.
    04-12-13 01:41 PM
    That was a good post by the OP.
    I have had my Z10 for 2 months now and it has never rebooted.
    I recently ordered a micro HDMI cable for my Z10 from Amazon UK. It cost 4 and was an unbranded lead, the BlackBerry version would have cost 11. The lead seems to be working very well.
    To connect an iPhone 5 or the newer iPads to a tv, you would need a Lightning digital av adapter costing 39 (US$49) plus the HDMI cable, Apple can sell you one for 15 (US$19). There is no alternative for the adapter, the only one available is made by Apple. The total Apple solution would be 54 (US$68) and these prices are taken from the UK and US Apple stores. Apple could supply a micro HDMI socket to their customers, but they won't.
    I had also predicted since before the launch of the Z10 that Apple WILL one day get rid of the home button and adopt full swipe gestures for the iPhone.
    04-12-13 02:33 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    04-12-13 03:55 PM
    Tmo user here. Haven't experienced ONE auto restart yet.

Matter of fact, I have had to look on crackberry to figure out how to reboot the darn thing once without a battery pull ...a soft restart.

Just my experience so far.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 04:24 PM
    Only time I had mine reboot was when I was using a case that covered up the volume buttons. Since switching to a different case, I haven't had any problems.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 06:19 PM
    The latest firmware I got is 10.0.1.85

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:11 PM
    Iphone is best, twitter,mail, facebook ... work better on it.
    04-12-13 07:24 PM
    I'm just happy that carriers offer the 14 or 30 day return policy that they do! I've taken advantage of it MANY times...
    04-13-13 09:10 PM
    Similar to your story, I came from android and love my Z10 so much that I even stopped playing with my Android tablet because I find the OS is so clunky and less intuitive.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 09:33 PM
    I've had a couple random restarts but never found it to be that big of a deal. I had some on my iPhone 4S before I switched back to blackberry
    04-13-13 10:24 PM
    I don't understand why I keep hearing people who are having restart issue. Maybe, I'm lucky. If you think about switching back to iPhone, please think it carefully. From my experience, I came from iPhone 4 and my wife is still using an iPhone5, the pros of Z10 far outweighs its cons but the cons of iPhone outweighs its pros. Z10 acts like my mobile desktop that gives me productivity, efficency, better organization and great user interface. I won't go back to old school especially the silly Home button on iPhone. My wife wants to switch to Z10 too because she is drooling about the features available in my Z10 Vs her iPhone such as zoom in out capabilities when capturing video, zip un zip pictures files, time shift mode in camera, NFC, bigger and shaper screen, a predictive keyboard and more. Why do people tolerate Apple's fault and glitches for its iOS for 5 years including antenna problem, battery drainage, Fiasco of Apple Maps and allowing hackers to decode pass code? Why don't people tolerate a 3 - month - old BB10 platform with little glitches? In the eyes of Apple's fan, whatever is given by Apple is the most advanced technology but never look at any better technology outside of Apple's world. I used to be an Apple fan for 2 years. That's why I was limited to Apple's world paying extra unnecessary money for its non universal file format and accessories. For me, BB10 OS is exactly what I am looking for and exactly suits my daily need.

Posted via CB10 on my adorable Z10
    04-14-13 11:25 AM
    OP- I did the exact same thing, except I actually boxed up the Z and planned on driving to Best Buy and return it after work. I spend the morning using the iPhone 5 on wifi ( no plan anymore)
    I just could not make the switch back. The typing in the Z is so much better and faster. Phone calls seem to be much more clear( although I can't say I never noticed an issue with the iPhone until I had the z to compare it too)
    Like you say, after swiping and the hub, the iPhone button seems so 2012
    I put the iPhone on ebay that night

Via Z
    04-14-13 11:41 AM
    I also noticed I was back to hearing the stupid ding sound when I had a notification waiting and no LED flashing like the z10. The first major difference I noticed was the BB Hub was not there!!! WTF, now I had to rely on a stupid number showing up in an icon or pulling down the notification screen to access to my email and messages. The BB Hub is something I can no longer live without.
    You really do not know how much you miss these features until you have to go back and use a device that doesn't have these anymore. The notification system on Apple IOS is terrible compared to the z10. No flashing LED, no notification icons on the home screen. This is where the z10 really shines for me and increases my productivity.
    great post. I really loved this section about the flashin LED. I went from os4 traight to os7 when I did my BB upgrade. now yes b4 there was the app berrybuzz which cud custermize LED colours. but it wasn't standard in the os4. in os7 u get diff colour LED choices built in. I like that. so now when my BB vibrates, I jus look to see what colour LED ....this is my "PREVIEW". jus love it.
    04-16-13 01:28 PM