So I went to my local corporate ATT store today to play with the z10 (my first time seeing it in person!!!). First things first. There were no ads or signs or anything about the z10. Right next to the door is an ipad mini poster stand. The devices are found along the walls so most of them were on the back wall directly across the entrance. First devices you see are the windows phone devices (what??) on the right wall. Then the iphone 5 with its own giant section, then the rest of the devices lined up on the back wall (including all of the major android devices). I went around looking for the z10 specifically and didn't see it. There are no signs are anything indication where it is or that they had it. I didn't even see it until I saw the 9900 and noticed it was right next to it, with "blackberry z10" in tiny letters. But they had the z10 right next to the iphone 4s, which was right next to the htc onex, which I guess Is good. Also, no one was there to look at it, but I did notice the att worker playing with it before me.

Anyway, on to my thoughts.

The z10 is not the nicest device in the world, but it is very beautifully designed and sculpted. I like how thin it is: not too thin, not to thick, and felt good in the hand. The screen was very responsive and I kept swiping up from the bottom and going to the hub just for the fun of it even when I didn't want to switch apps. I was playing with it for an hour and am pretty sure I went through everything. The internet was super fast, better than the iphone 4s next to it. The timeshift camera was really cool to try. The keyboard was...I don't know really. I tried typing on it with two hands and it was a little hard to get stuff right. I tried out the flicking but would probably never use that when (if????) I get a touch bb10 phone on sprint. One handed was much easier than two. But I noticed on the internet when you try to swipe up on the period for .com, every other time I did it it would register it as a bezel swipe and go to the home page. (could probably get used to this over time).

I put on some songs from youtube, grooveshark on html5, and slacker (web, not app, and it worked amazingly!!). I like that when you use the volume keys it popped up with some music controls, but one of my favorite music features on bbry is the ability to press and hold the volume up to skip and I couldn't try it cause I couldn't access the settings without a password.

I went onto BB World, and it was very fast and smooth, no lag what-so-ever. There were some cool apps but still not much yet. I downloaded the crackberry app but couldn't figure out how to delete the apps so crackberry app will forever be on that device cause if I couldn't figure it out I'm pretty sure they won't either . Also, I like how fast it was to install apps!

The interent was quick to load all the pages I visited. I just wish I had more time to test out the flash player. I tried some of the same sites on the iphone 4s, and the z10 was much quicker and snappier, and I'm sure the case will be the same with the 5 considering apple didn't change much (and I know how ios works because I've owned devices running all ios versions 1-6.) I didn't get a chance to try the browser on the htc onex but I did notice that the onex was much wider than the z10, making it very uncomfortable in the hand. The z10 it just the right size.

One of the things I didn't like was that you never know when you can swipe down from the top to access settings. For instance, you can in the crackberry app, but not in the amazon kindle app. Also I wish in the hub and such that you could swipe from the right to access those items (like on the left side) instead of having to push the button with the three lines. And speaking of those three lines, I also didn't like how sometimes when I clicked on it, it open the full menu and sometimes just showed the icons. It did the same thing from the left side and I know that os for easy access or whatever but I just didn't like how it worker. Either give me the whole thing or nothing. One thing I didn't like in the camera app was that each time you touch the screen it takes a picture. Sometimes you touch it on accident. BUT you can use the volume keys too and it takes photos very quickly. Also about pictures, I wish you could press and hold for options like on Os7 instead of having to push the bottom right button.

Other than those minor things, I really relaly enjoyed using the z10, even if for a very brief moment . I tried almost everything: the internet, the camera, time shift, photo editor, hub, bb world, downloading, searching stuff on the phone, calculator (we finally have scientific!!), keyboard, flash player, calendar, reminders, phone, clock features, bedside mode, etc, and I have to say I am VERY VERY impressed with how blackberry was able to make a new, beautiful software.

I would definitely get one if it came on sprint. It is centuries better than any previous blackberry device, easy to use, not boring like ios (seriously, after 7 years you should really change something...anything... I just read an article saying they wanted to make it even "flatter and simpler") and after each update ios sucks even more (sad but true, coming from someone who has owned/experienced ipod touch 1st Gen with os 1-3, 4th Gen with os 4-6, iphone 4s with Os 5-6, and ipad 3 with os 5-6). The os is also smoother than android (or at least than the evo 3D I used to have and my brother still has) and everyone has it. I know each device is different, but that is one of the things I don't like, and you are never guranteed to get a software update like with ios and bbry. Windows phone 8 is just plain boring imo. It was cool when it first came out as wp 7, but now it has just grown on me.

Sorry for the essay, but I had to get everything out.

BB10 FTW
    sugbo and AnimalPak200 like this.
    03-22-13 07:24 PM
    I spent some time at Best Buy today trying one out (no demo or anything up for it so a sales rep lent me his). I agree that the phone feels just right. I've been a faux BlackBerry user for years (storms 1, 2 and the 9860) and it felt like a miracle had happened. I've always had an ipod touch on the side, which always served as a reminder of then-RIM's shortcomings in the full touch realm.

I must say that, being used to the iOS and even the 9860's paradigm, it will surely take me a good few days to fully get the hang of BB10 and really take advantage of it. I really hope that doesn't discourage others who, upon seeing square icons, expect it to behave like an iOS device. As for me, I'm with Verizon so I'll pick one up next week.
    03-22-13 07:55 PM
    Some of your minor issues are understandable. But the hub swiping issue doesn't exist because you can swipe to the right from the left side (when in the home view) and get to the hub! I understand you didn't have much time with the device so its understandable to not be able to figure everything out. But don't worry about the hub swipping issue because like it said it doesn't exist!
    03-22-13 08:11 PM
    I've been following bb10 on crackberry since it was bbx so I think I know most things already . I understand what you're saying but I meant when you are actually in the hub. You can slide from the left bezel to the right to get the different things like Facebook or just hub, but to access the things on the right, instead of being able to slide from right bezel to the left, you have to click the button at the bottom right.
    03-22-13 11:09 PM
    I was the first to pick up a Z10 this morning at my local Best Buy. No one knew a thing about it. No demo, no nothing. They knew I was suppose to pick it up but didn't even know where they were stored. It was the first box opened and all the associates stood around looking at it. They activated it, we played around with it for a few minutes and then they said thank you and left me on my own to figure it out. I've been playing with it all day. It has pluses and minuses for sure.

The keyboard is a lot easier than I thought and frankly it's easier than the iPhone IMHO. I've used friends' iPhones and always missed words. The Z10 did a much better job. I used the flick function but that takes a little more getting use to. But all in all, it's a good keyboard.

I don't like the hub so much but maybe because I'm so use to my Torch and even the Bold before it. I just don't like all the swiping back and forth. Again, maybe it just takes a little getting use to and in a few more days I'll be praising it.

I definitely don't like the limited amount of tones for messages, etc. and I don't like that I can't go to one button instantly - like on my Torch - to reset the profile. You know what I mean. Touch the icon, select a profile and done. This is swipe, swipe, swipe.... time consuming to say the least.

I don't like that BB didn't put the Password Keeper on the phone preinstalled. I haven't found it in app world yet but hopefully I'll find it and settle that issue. I love that BB has this feature. It's been a life saver on more than one occasion.

I can't figure out how to put a SIM lock on the phone. I prefer having the phone locked when I turn it on and using the SIM code to unlock it. Not for every time it sleeps but only turning it on.

And lastly, I pray that BB gets all the apps that everyone else is enjoying on iPhones and android phones.

EDIT: Another day with Z10 and not liking all the swiping back and forth. My Torch was easier in a way because you could go through emails and texts simply by swiping from right to left. With the Z10 you have to go back, click on the next mail. Go back, click on the next mail. Go back.... etc etc.

No Skype, No Pandora. No social apps like Grindr, etc

As a Real Estate agent I use a Supra Ekey to access lock boxes. It was on the older Blackberries but not available on the 10. Supra (owned by GE) says they don't have plans to have an app for the 10 operating system. That means either carrying my old phone around with me (and updating it daily using WiFi) or leasing a separate Ekey. Between Canada and the US there are A LOT of agents who will be needing their Ekey on their phones. Get with it Blackberry. Help us out.
    Last edited by johnprague; 03-23-13 at 10:47 AM.
    03-22-13 11:17 PM
    We all have the hope that apps will start to come in thick and fast, and from what I've seen of the Z10 I can see no reason why developers wouldn't get behind it.

Overall I'm very happy with it, its

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 12:26 AM
    I don't like that BB didn't put the Password Keeper on the phone preinstalled. I haven't found it in app world yet but hopefully I'll find it and settle that issue. I love that BB has this feature. It's been a life saver on more than one occasion.
    Password Keeper.

I found it when I was looking for it.
    03-23-13 12:39 AM
    I was the first to pick up a Z10 this morning at my local Best Buy. No one knew a thing about it. No demo, no nothing. They knew I was suppose to pick it up but didn't even know where they were stored. It was the first box opened and all the associates stood around looking at it. They activated it, we played around with it for a few minutes and then they said thank you and left me on my own to figure it out. I've been playing with it all day. It has pluses and minuses for sure.

The keyboard is a lot easier than I thought and frankly it's easier than the iPhone IMHO. I've used friends' iPhones and always missed words. The Z10 did a much better job. I used the flick function but that takes a little more getting use to. But all in all, it's a good keyboard.

I don't like the hub so much but maybe because I'm so use to my Torch and even the Bold before it. I just don't like all the swiping back and forth. Again, maybe it just takes a little getting use to and in a few more days I'll be praising it.

I definitely don't like the limited amount of tones for messages, etc. and I don't like that I can't go to one button instantly - like on my Torch - to reset the profile. You know what I mean. Touch the icon, select a profile and done. This is swipe, swipe, swipe.... time consuming to say the least.

I can't figure out how to put a SIM lock on the phone. I prefer having the phone locked when I turn it on and using the SIM code to unlock it. Not for every time it sleeps but only turning it on.

And lastly, I pray that BB gets all the apps that everyone else is enjoying on iPhones and android phones.
    In my short time with the device I found it much easier to access the hub by swiping from the middle of the bottom bezel to the middle of the right bezel directly instead of going up and then to the right. Its one less swipe each time and I found it very intuitive....oh one thing I forgot to mention is I liked all the things you could do with the keyboard, like swipe left to delete and down to get symbols.
    03-23-13 01:41 AM
    When Z10 first launched in uk the shops just had it sitting alongside bold and curve, but after a few days, new big bright dedicated signs appeared and staff were more familiar with the OS. In settings you can have your Z10 run a shop demo mode if thy floats your boat.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 03:30 AM
    I have to admit, compared to the iPhone or the S3, the Z10 is very low-profile and yet light... That's why I liked the phone.

I dislike too flashy phones because they are hot for those muggers... especially in our country where they are prevalent. This is my first time I bought a US $700 phone.
    03-23-13 03:38 AM
    03-23-13 04:08 AM
    I have to admit, compared to the iPhone or the S3, the Z10 is very low-profile and yet light... That's why I liked the phone.

I dislike too flashy phones because they are hot for those muggers... especially in our country where they are prevalent. This is my first time I bought a US $700 phone.
    Bro, you still have to be careful... muggers are updated as well... they always check what are the good selling phone in the market. they also check expensive phones and good to be sold under the table.

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    03-23-13 05:08 AM
    Very sleek. Not a single regret. Been using physical keyboard for ages. And after use z10. I love it so much. So smooth. Agree, just need to wait for the apps. Overall all in one package. Z10 is very good.
    03-23-13 05:25 AM
    I am missing different ringtone for evry emaild id the way it was in OS 7 devices. Why it is not in OS10? It creates lot of confusions single ringtone for all email ids.
    03-23-13 05:26 AM
    You can download all the ring tones. I had a fave alarm tone to wake up to and also like the old BBM sound. Had no troubles finding them online and adding them to my z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 01:14 PM