It happened to me too for the first few times I put the phone in the holster.I thought it was just me hitting the on/off button and it hasn't happened since then.

Whoever said the phone goes in head first is probably right but what a stupid design. They should at least have made a way to see the notification light and ideally access the earphone jack. Not a practical design at all.
    Not "head first". "Face in". Big difference, and yes, it does leave the headphone jack exposed.
    02-17-13 03:40 PM
    Weird, the only problem that I have with my holster is that the flap covers the headphone port. It also gets hot from time to time, but that's just a side effect of the battery teething.
    Put the phone in the other way around and the headset port is open.
    02-17-13 03:47 PM
    I don't have the holster, but I've tried one in the store, and I also have the case which is basically like the holster minus the belt clip. (It has the magnet inside as well.)

I've experienced the same issue with both the holster (the one time I tried it) and numerous times with this case.

I haven't "caught" it quickly enough yet to identify exactly what's causing it. I agree it's a possibility that it's related to me pressing down on the power button as I slide it into the holster, but note that it would require a 4s press right on the power button to trigger that. Doing it for any less would merely bring up the off/restart dialog, but wouldn't actually trigger the shutdown. I think it's very unlikely I've taken four full seconds to shove this thing into the case, even though it's a tight fit.

Secondly, at least with the case, note that the magnet and the sensor inside the phone are placed such that it doesn't matter whether you put it in face-in or face-out. The magnet triggers the switch no matter which way you do it.

Anyway, I thought it might be something defective with my device, but given the reports above I'm tentatively concluding it's actually a bug in the firmware. There's really no good reason this should have happened, and repeatedly in my case.
    02-17-13 04:12 PM
    Ah I see. Still, notification LED is not visible.
    02-17-13 04:37 PM
    It could be a bug... The sleeper magnet shutting off the phone instead of just putting it to sleep.
    02-17-13 05:45 PM
    I have the holster and I am almost certain it is from holding the top power button while sliding it in. Happened to me a few times before I clued in, now I know better haha.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 06:13 PM
    No problems with my holster -- I love the leather and the fit. Don't like that the corner is exposed. BTW, it is of my opinion that the screen should always face the back of the holster to protect the screen (and give you access to your headphone port).
    02-17-13 07:35 PM
    Mine reboots randomly when de-holstering as well. I put it in face out so I can see the LED. That's ridiculous to have to put it face in. This is a software flaw. And no I'm not hitting the power button.
    02-18-13 01:02 AM
    Mine reboots randomly when de-holstering as well. I put it in face out so I can see the LED. That's ridiculous to have to put it face in. This is a software flaw. And no I'm not hitting the power button.
    Face in is how BB's done it for years. And it makes sense: if something hits the holster hard enough it might break the screen if it's face out. Face in it can absorb impacts better.

If you want to see the LED, you may need to wait for a 3rd party holster.
    02-18-13 01:07 AM
    Still doesn't make sense that it reboots.
    02-18-13 01:30 AM
    Had no issue with it shutting off. Face in is the correct way round as the flap protects the camera lens, as well as giving access to the earphone socket and volume switches.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:57 AM
    Had no issue with it shutting off. Face in is the correct way round as the flap protects the camera lens, as well as giving access to the earphone socket and volume switches.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what pouch you're referring to, but face in will protect the screen, not the camera lense. Face in leaves the camera lense exposed.
    02-18-13 08:44 AM
    I don't know what pouch you're referring to, but face in will protect the screen, not the camera lense. Face in leaves the camera lense exposed.
    The BlackBerry holster, the flap comes over the top and covers the camera lens.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 11:06 AM
    through my experience and some"research" I found it would be enough to hold the lock button for 2 seconds as you slide in the phone into the holster. I think the magnetic part somehow "hits" the restart/power-off option appearing on the screen after 2 seconds exactly as you slide it in. note that in every other situation it is NOT possible to power-off/restart the device with a 2 sec hold of the lock button
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-18-13 11:10 AM
    My blackberry holster doesn't have a flap...
    02-18-13 11:11 AM
    My blackberry holster doesn't have a flap...
    You probably have the pouch rather than the holster.
    tmaier likes this.
    02-18-13 11:21 AM
    through my experience and some"research" I found it would be enough to hold the lock button for 2 seconds as you slide in the phone into the holster. I think the magnetic part somehow "hits" the restart/power-off option appearing on the screen after 2 seconds exactly as you slide it in. note that in every other situation it is NOT possible to power-off/restart the device with a 2 sec hold of the lock button
    Thanks for that observation. May help us narrow it down even more precisely. I could see having done a 2s press accidentally a few times... but definitely not the 4s press.
    02-18-13 12:45 PM
    It always bothered me when I see ppl put their BBs in face out...I always thought that was the "wrong way" since it didn't protect the screen. Started with the 7280/90 and 8700 models, face in!

Besides, why would you want to have a red blinking LED on you showing everyone out there that you have a message? I only find the LED is useful when you're at your desk and the BB is sitting facing you.

Face in is how BB's done it for years. And it makes sense: if something hits the holster hard enough it might break the screen if it's face out. Face in it can absorb impacts better.

If you want to see the LED, you may need to wait for a 3rd party holster.
    03-14-13 02:52 PM
    are we talking about the genuine leather holster?
    can somebody please upload a picture of it?
    thank you.
    03-14-13 02:57 PM
    If you put the phone in backwards (screen facing the back) the entire screen is covered (and therefore more protected from stuff that could hit the holster from the front), the power button is covered (and therefore less able to be pushed to turn your phone off) and the headphone jack is free and clear for use.

Almost like it was designed that way. Hmmmmm.

JB

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 02:58 PM
    It always bothered me when I see ppl put their BBs in face out...I always thought that was the "wrong way" since it didn't protect the screen. Started with the 7280/90 and 8700 models, face in!

Besides, why would you want to have a red blinking LED on you showing everyone out there that you have a message? I only find the LED is useful when you're at your desk and the BB is sitting facing you.
    Since the 9000, I always put the phone face out. I find putting it face in the wrong way but I guess to each their own.

Since I keep my phone in the holster even when it isn't on me, I want to see the LED... or even if it is on my belt, I can tilt it upwards to see if the LED is blinking to know if I should take it out, otherwise, I leave it in.

So again, to each their own, but I see more benefit with the LED out than in and that is why the Z10 holster bothers me because if you want the headphone jack, you have to have the LED in. On all previous phones, you didn't.
    03-14-13 03:00 PM
    When using the Z10 with a holster (such as the OEM holster with the magnetic feature), what screen appears when you pull the device out of the holster? Is it the screen where you left off? ... the Hub? ... active frames? Does the Z10 act just like the BBs of old ... where if you get a notification (incoming email/sms for example), will it open that particular email/sms? Thanks in advance!
    05-07-13 09:19 AM
    Just a heads up: the Z10 does indeed go into the holster face IN, same as the 9900.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    My neighbor had this same "issue". I pointed out that the RED sticker on the holster felt stating "Place Phone w/shell into holster with display facing inward, toward holster", he read it and then stated " I feel soooo Stu***.

I said, not to worry, we all need a nudge once in a while.....

C
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 05-09-13 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    05-09-13 03:06 PM
    When using the Z10 with a holster (such as the OEM holster with the magnetic feature), what screen appears when you pull the device out of the holster? Is it the screen where you left off? ... the Hub? ... active frames? Does the Z10 act just like the BBs of old ... where if you get a notification (incoming email/sms for example), will it open that particular email/sms? Thanks in advance!
    It stays where you leave it. Just goes to sleep with the magnet.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 09:38 PM
49 12