Ok, so since opinions are like ***holes (everyone's got one), here's mine.

Got mine last week, a couple of days after they became available. I have rocked everything from a Curve 8520
    to the latest Bold 9900. I couldn't wait to get my hands on a new Z10, and now that I have played around with it for a few
    days, here's my initial assessment.

The Good - This unit is fast. Very fast. The browser works very well, especially on LTE and Wifi, and is very smooth. The UI
    is very intuitive, and since I am already used to my PB, this was a natural transition for me. I really do like the HUB, and the way
    I can customize what appears in the HUB in terms of updates. I primarily use mine for email, as my texts and BBM indicate on
    my icons as well. The hardware feels solid and fits well in my hand. It feels lighter than my Bold 9900, but that may just be my
    impression. The screen is bright, clear, and vibrant. The Bridge functionality, while limited in features currently, works very smoothly.
    I completed a course presentation with only only my PB and Z10 (PB connected to 55" LCD), and the pairing was perfect. Not once
    did I lose communication between the two or experience lagging. Typing...much better than I expected, and trust me...I am a physical
    keyboard king of guy!! I was able to type quickly and accurately, with one hand or both. The typing experience for me was truly
    the best of all the smartphones I have tried, including iPhones and several Androids. Video playback was excellent, and the audio was clear
    and the volume more than adequate...both for video and audio files. The ability to multitask is a major plus for me, and the transitioning between
    open apps is simple, intuitive, and effective. Overall, what this unit does, it does very well...and that is a good sign of things to come,
    in my opinion.

The Bad - Link. Very bad. This PC interface is a huge step backwards from DM for BBOS, and it frustrated me to no end in completing a device
    switch from my 9900 to the Z10. Eventually, I got it all sorted out, but it took far too long, and lacks many basic customization features from DM.
    Additionally, I am not happy about the lack of charging contacts, as I am used to using a charge cradle for my 9900 using the metal contacts, which
    I feel helps extend the useful life of the micro-USB connector. I am not convinced that the Z10's connector will survive my new 2-year contract with
    my provider, as we all know the recharging frequency of slab-like phones is greater than something like the 9900. This may seem like a personal
    preference, but when people start having problems with their USB ports from constant plugging/unplugging, they may reconsider this criticism. The only
    saving grace in this is the removable battery, so with a second or third battery as backup, it may not work out so bad. Time will tell.

The Ugly - Apps. No, I don't mean this as in "I need hundreds of thousands of apps", nor am I talking about Skype, Netflix, and other "must have" apps...many
    of them will soon be here in one form or another. I mean this as in "holy crap..where is an app like Call Control or SMS Blocker to help manage calls and texts
    I don't want coming in? Where is an app like Advance OS to help me customize my LED colors for calls, texts, emails, etc...?" These are all basic apps that
    I became very used to using, as they helped me customize the behavior of my 9900 the way I liked it. Apps like these may be coming, but in the meantime, I really miss this level of customization. I have also noticed that many of the 70,000 or so apps are international, so many of them don't really apply to North American users. This has to change, and very, very fast, if Blackberry wants to experience success on this continent again.

Ok ,so overall....I am pleased with my decision, and don't regret it for a minute. I am excited about this product, the changes, and the future prospects it holds.
    The things that are missing for me are things that I can live without...for now...but hope to see resolved in the VERY near future. Like I said...what this unit does,
    it does very well...what we need now is a flurry of basic apps and support to move Blackberry forward again in this market. If that happens, I feel that this redesign and restructure would have been worth the risk, and we will see both Apple and Android scrambling to keep up. Was this a "game-changer" for BB? Yes, I think it was. Was it the Holy Grail of Innovation. Given that BB had to play "catch-up" with a virtual gun to its head...no, I don't think so. I think they did what they had to do to stay alive and fight another day. Overall....I feel this new platform has the right ingredients to not only succeed, but to light the way again...the key is going to be in how the ingredients are mixed, and how well it's baked. The end experience will tell the whole story. Hopefully,
    as Thor said....this is only the beginning.

At least now, in my opinion, we are all on the same playing field.

Batter up!!!!! BB.

UPDATE: Ok, after using this thing for a few more days, I would like to add an update:

1. The Virtual Keyboard still rocks!! I can type very fast, and the Z10 is truly learning my style...curse words, and all...lol
    2. Gmail Calendar is a huge pain in the A$$!!! I have been using this calendar exclusively for quite a while and it was working
    fine with my Bold 9900 and 7.1 . I have recently learned about issues regarding ActiveSync and the CalDev issues (yes I searched),
    and I will be very disappointed if this issue doesn't get sorted out. It's syncing both ways right now, but who knows tomorrow...
    as far as I know...Outlook is working fine, and I may decide to switch over if Google continues to s.c.r.e.w us over.
    3. REALLY missing my Advance OS app...I got used to looking at my phone when it beeped, and knowing whether or not it was BBM,
    text, or email. We either need a new app soon to give us this functionality, or even better....native OS option.
    4. Likewise for my Call Control app...I tried sideloading several Android apps, without success, so again......we need an app for this.
    5. I have gotten used to the HUB and I am faring well with navigating in and out without issues. I continue to like this feature.
    6. Facebook app sucks. Period. Fix it. Now.
    7. BBM is working fine, and I have had a chance to play with the BBM Video...works like a charm with my PB.
    8. Bridge needs to regain the functionality with BBM, Text, etc... - having said that, the remote function rocks, as usual.
    9. Average battery life is about 12 hours of reasonable use. I would like to see something better, but it's not far off the average
    superphone battery performance.
    10. HDMI connection works great...picture is phenomenal. All good.
    11. Streaming audio to my 2012 Dodge Ram through bluetooth is good, but drops out on occasion. I suspect there is a bug or
    two outstanding. Overall, it works well, as I am used to with 7.1.

Follow-up assessment....still happy with the device, still unhappy about the lack of some of what I need to feel "complete" in my
    transition from Legacy OS to BB10. Certain basic, operational apps, or at least bake them into the OS...like LED color control.

I'll follow up again in the future with more observations and experiences as they happen.

I hope some people find this review useful.
    Last edited by costas1966; 02-19-13 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Spelling, grammar.
    Snazy, sarahrich, marts1x and 11 others like this.
    02-10-13 03:51 PM
    Well done. My feelings pretty much exactly.
    Battery icon is a pain, as is the lack of ability in email to select two emails and have the ones in between be selected as well.
    02-10-13 05:04 PM
    Well done. My feelings pretty much exactly.
    Battery icon is a pain, as is the lack of ability in email to select two emails and have the ones in between be selected as well.
    That would be great to have for selecting multiple emails.
    02-10-13 05:10 PM
    good review! thanks
    02-10-13 05:12 PM
    Agree on the multi-select. It's a step backwards for sure...but I guess they had some reason for doing it this way.
    02-10-13 05:15 PM
    Really hope sms blocking gets integrated into the next update.
    02-12-13 01:19 PM
    Re Kosta.....I like your bouzouki! OPA!
    02-12-13 02:13 PM
    Thanks for sharing!

It is a very good look at the device and the pros and cons

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 02:21 PM
    Re Kosta.....I like your bouzouki! OPA!
    Hahaha..thanks! It keeps me occupied when I'm not on here. Lol!!
    02-12-13 03:55 PM
    Thanks for sharing!

It is a very good look at the device and the pros and cons

Thanks, it's only a preliminary evaluation. I'll update it once I have had a chance to play with it some more.
    02-12-13 03:56 PM
    SMS blocking can be done easy, you'd carrier should have a number where you can forward spam sms and they auto block it, open the phone app. Go to the settings there is your native call blocker as long as your carrier supports it

02-12-13 04:05 PM
    SMS blocking can be done easy, you'd carrier should have a number where you can forward spam sms and they auto block it, open the phone app. Go to the settings there is your native call blocker as long as your carrier supports it

I found an SMS spam filter in my Extreme Testing feature of my Fido plan, but there is currently no way I can find to block certain calls. I really liked Call Control
    for this function, and I am hoping to see something similar soon. I tried a couple of the Android ports, but they don't work.
    02-12-13 04:52 PM
    My UK carrier will block phone numbers, for a monthly fee.
    On Android, my sms app does that for free.
    02-12-13 05:01 PM
    Bump......new update.
    02-19-13 01:31 AM
    I found an SMS spam filter in my Extreme Testing feature of my Fido plan, but there is currently no way I can find to block certain calls. I really liked Call Control
    for this function, and I am hoping to see something similar soon. I tried a couple of the Android ports, but they don't work.
    You can block all SMS and calls that come from numbers not in your contacts in Parental Controls. Easy.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 01:40 AM
    You can block all SMS and calls that come from numbers not in your contacts in Parental Controls. Easy.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that's useful...but I have a "different" application....I need to block some peeps in my contact list.
    02-19-13 01:45 AM
    Yeah, that's useful...but I have a "different" application....I need to block some peeps in my contact list.
    What he means is he wants to block his crazy exs from calling him haha
    Rogers (and fido I think too) has this extreme text messaging thing under the "my Rogers" app (my fido for you I guess?). In there is a text blocking feature. U set it up with what numbers u want blocked and they will be blocked at the carrier level no matter what phone u are using.

As for the calls part Rogers has "call manager" that they charge $5 a month for. Fido probably has the same thing. Not sure if there is an app for that or a setting. Up to u to decide depending on how crazy she is haha
    02-19-13 01:53 AM
    What he means is he wants to block his crazy exs from calling him haha
    Rogers (and fido I think too) has this extreme text messaging thing under the "my Rogers" app (my fido for you I guess?). In there is a text blocking feature. U set it up with what numbers u want blocked and they will be blocked at the carrier level no matter what phone u are using.

As for the calls part Rogers has "call manager" that they charge $5 a month for. Fido probably has the same thing. Not sure if there is an app for that or a setting. Up to u to decide depending on how crazy she is haha
    Hahahaha...you're a mind reader!
    02-19-13 01:56 AM
    Hahahaha...you're a mind reader!
    Lol been there done that

U can block texts easily like I said in the my fido app user extreme text messaging
    Calls require $5 a month to block at the carrier level
    02-19-13 02:22 AM
    Lol been there done that

U can block texts easily like I said in the my fido app user extreme text messaging
    Calls require $5 a month to block at the carrier level
    Yeah, I found that under Extreme Messaging...I need to see the content, though....simply blocking is "not conducive".......lol!
    02-19-13 02:44 AM
    These kinds of review just make me want the device more. Can't wait until it comes to Vietnam !!!
    02-19-13 03:23 AM
    These kinds of review just make me want the device more. Can't wait until it comes to Vietnam !!!
    Hahaha...I'm trying to be somewhat objective...so, I hope it suits your needs!
    02-19-13 03:30 AM
    I agree about the micro USB charging. My four-and-a-half-year-old Storm 1 (now replaced by the Z10) became impossible to charge because the connector was worn out. For the last twelve months I've had to resort to charging my batteries using a second device, a Storm 2. I think BB should consider charging contacts on the next iteration of the Z10. There are ways around this potential problem (eg the spare battery/charger pod thing that is available) but it is something that worries me everytime I plug in (carefully, I might add).
    02-19-13 03:50 AM
    yeah... the native "call blocker" in the phone app settings is somewhat less than useful...

-Block all incoming calls
    -Block all outgoing calls
    -Block all international calls

Really?
    Like most, I need the ability to block:

-All "800" numbers (and other such prefixes)
    -Specific numbers, whether they're in my contact list or not
    -SMS messages from specific "problem" sources.
    When blocking phone calls, the option to pick-up & hang-up is strongly preferred. If they're blocked, I don't want their damn voicemails either!
    This is the kind of functionality that really should be native to a device like this... ESPECIALLY one that's trying to take back some market share from other devices that have had this available for years.

C'mon devs! We have enough flashlight apps.. bring us these things and we'll give you money

Oh... and one more thing... not app related though:

BlackBerry... what's the deal with releasing this phone with having a cradle available for purchase? How about getting that thing we all saw in pictures to the stores? And then you can fix Bedside Mode so it's available by simply docking the phone at the right time of day. The current implementation of BSM pretty much sucks.
    03-24-13 11:44 AM
    Good review, I agree for the most part. Only sticking point is Link. My transition was fast and flawless. 9900-Z10, btw. Couldn't have been smoother, got all the info (and more) than I needed.
    03-24-13 12:02 PM
28 12