The TM customer service rep told me that the BB Z10 would require BIS. I am hearing conflicting information. Do you or anyone else out there have any definitive info concerning this? Not sure if it really matters but if email delivery is unchanged, then I'm satisfied.
    It does not. I have been using T-Mobile on my Z10 since mid February with their Monthly 4G plan. Same SIM has been used in HTC 8X and iPhone 4S

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 11:05 PM
    Then I signed onto gmail and gave a look into settings and no, POP wasn't diabled. So I did that.

IMAP was enabled.

On my phone, yes, push is set to ON.

I didn't see Activesync or the default anywhere.

ActiveSync, first of all, was never called "ActiveSync" by Google because they have the usual corporate-speak disease about using a competitor's terminology, lest uttering the word will result in a massive exodus of customers to a competitor.

So they called it "Google Sync". But it's no longer available to customers of their free services, so you can forget about it.

The usual reason that connections made to Gmail using IMAP are not getting quick "newmail" notification is because something in someone's home or work network is unfriendly to the requirements of the "IMAP IDLE" protocol that makes that work.

Are you typically using email via WiFi? Who is your carrier?
    CrownIsle likes this.
    03-23-13 11:13 PM
    and for those who still use POP3, they can also achieve Push - if they forward the POP mail to a free Gmail account - and hook this gmail account to the BB10 device... instant email..

POP3 does not have any Push built-in, and a better approach would be to make the POP providers to install a IMAP service - with Push support..

Using POP in 2013 is like doing all work in MSDOS 3.1 ... ;-)
    Fact remains that many small businesses still use pop, the have a small business, and wanted their emails to be johndoe @ companyname . com - they were happy with the way email worked on the old BlackBerry, and are now disappointed that their new Z10 doesn't have speedy email like it used to. Yes people... Gmail, Hotmail, outlook.com, etc etc all seem to work well with push. but pop and several imap providers do not have push. It's a let down, and I think we who are let down by the downgrade in email service of the new BlackBerry's have a right to be let down.
    03-23-13 11:22 PM
    ActiveSync, first of all, was never called "ActiveSync" by Google because they have the usual corporate-speak disease about using a competitor's terminology, lest uttering the word will result in a massive exodus of customers to a competitor.

So they called it "Google Sync". But it's no longer available to customers of their free services, so you can forget about it.

The usual reason that connections made to Gmail using IMAP are not getting quick "newmail" notification is because something in someone's home or work network is unfriendly to the requirements of the "IMAP IDLE" protocol that makes that work.

Are you typically using email via WiFi? Who is your carrier?
    I am with ATT.

My email seems to be rollin' into my phone. I will keep an eye on this- notifications from my subscriptions here are coming in finally- whereas I wasn't getting them for a while prior to now. That one option may have made a dent eh? You smart!

I can forget about it (sync)? Perfect.

I use email any 'ol way!
    03-23-13 11:25 PM
    I fine my yahoo mails always get delayed compared to Gmail. I've tested many times by sending myself emails using different accounts and yahoo sometimes take forever to show up on my Z10. I'm starting to use Gmail more often and will eventually abandon yahoo one day.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 11:36 PM
    Fact remains that many small businesses still use pop, the have a small business, and wanted their emails to be johndoe @ companyname . com - they were happy with the way email worked on the old BlackBerry, and are now disappointed that their new Z10 doesn't have speedy email like it used to. Yes people... Gmail, Hotmail, outlook.com, etc etc all seem to work well with push. but pop and several imap providers do not have push. It's a let down, and I think we who are let down by the downgrade in email service of the new BlackBerry's have a right to be let down.

Everyone has a personal perspective on that. Luckily for Blackberry, I'm sure they have the statistics on how many people do or do not use POP mail systems today. I assure you that the number is a small fraction of their userbase at this point.

It is trivial to move your email to a more modern, non-POP-based system, especially if you have your own domain-name. The people who have married a specific email provider (like MSN, AT&T, Comcast, Gmail etc) are the ones that will feel much greater pain trying to move to a better provider, in terms of having to change their email address.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-23-13 11:40 PM
    I fine my yahoo mails always get delayed compared to Gmail. I've tested many times by sending myself emails using different accounts and yahoo sometimes take forever to show up on my Z10. I'm starting to use Gmail more often and will eventually abandon yahoo one day.

Please read my earlier answer to that in this thread.

And I assume that "forever" to you means "15 minutes"? Because that's as long as it should take, unless you have the poll frequency set to some high number.

The only other situation that might impact it is sometimes Yahoo delays a message with a bunch of attachments on it in order to scan for viruses.
    03-23-13 11:42 PM
    I have a gmail based work address and a Yahoo address and they all seem to be working well but I noticed that they don't delete completely. I mean, I delete it on my Z10 but it's still in my inbox. I also use Outlook for the Gmail account and noticed that it's the same there. Delete in Outlook doesn't mean delete in the Gmail account it self. Yahoo on the other hand seems to delete on the devise and on line.
    It seems that way when you delete it on Z10 then onstantly open your laptop, but try checking your mail after 20-30 mins and then it will be gone especially for yahoo, but in gmails it will be archived, coz as for me, i wanted the option to "Delete on handheld only " to be back coz i don't want it deleted when checking using my laptop as soon as i delete it on my phone.

Hope this helped coz i myself experimented on this coz like i said i don't want it to be deleted immediately (laptop ) .

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 11:49 PM
    It seems that way when you delete it on Z10 then onstantly open your laptop, but try checking your mail after 20-30 mins and then it will be gone especially for yahoo, but in gmails it will be archived, coz as for me, i wanted the option to "Delete on handheld only " to be back coz i don't want it deleted when checking using my laptop as soon as i delete it on my phone.

Hope this helped coz i myself experimented on this coz like i said i don't want it to be deleted immediately (laptop ) .

If you have an email account setup with IMAP (which these days usually applies to both Yahoo and Gmail), the "push" part is just for notification of new messages, basically.

Any other mailbox/folder state changes, like deletions, still wait for the "poll frequency" or "sync interval" time to update on the server. Currently the minimum poll frequency/sync interval on the Z10 is 15 minutes.
    03-23-13 11:53 PM
    I got my Z10 yesterday and my emails are very delayed. I absolutely love the phone and am so happy to have a BlackBerry again but this is a problem for me. Any idea what it could be?

Posted via CB10
    What do you have the sync interval set to? It should look like this....

Z10 gets push email quickly-img_00000525_edit.png

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    03-23-13 11:55 PM
    If you have an email account setup with IMAP (which these days usually applies to both Yahoo and Gmail), the "push" part is just for notification of new messages, basically.

Any other mailbox/folder state changes, like deletions, still wait for the "poll frequency" or "sync interval" time to update on the server. Currently the minimum poll frequency/sync interval on the Z10 is 15 minutes.
    I believe mine was set on IMAP. Have to check it back though tobe sure. My sync interval should be changed then. It is set to 30.. never checked it before. Lol..

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 12:17 AM
    Hi David. I'm on the Z10 in Singapore and have had my BIS turned off. You are fine without BIS.

Posted via CB10
    Hey Roland, maybe you should contact the writer at the Straits Times to set him straight. Pun intended LOL!
    03-25-13 11:55 AM
    I got my Z10 yesterday and my emails are very delayed. I absolutely love the phone and am so happy to have a BlackBerry again but this is a problem for me. Any idea what it could be?

Posted via CB10
    Hey there Shell,

If you just got your new phone a couple of days ago, may I suggest wandering back to the store where you got or call the 1-800 # they would have given you for help and ask them to help you set up your email so there is no delay.

Trust me, if you are using email on the Z10, there should be almost no delay, even without push. Check out the numerous comments above where pretty much everyone agrees the Z10 gets email just fine and quite quickly without "BIS push".

Right after you posted your comment about 48 hours ago, Roland asked you what email provider you are using. If you answer this question, someone here might be able to suggest how to fix your issue.

Most of us here are really just trying to be helpful.
    03-25-13 12:02 PM
    Hi Patrick.

Wanted too. But the writer should have gotten way loads of email from other BlackBerry users from Singapore. Anyway, it's good that the "perplexed" reads it from Crack Berry here, as we tell it live from other BlackBerry Z10 users here. After all, we at the forums are just trying to help.

Hey Roland, maybe you should contact the writer at the Straits Times to set him straight. Pun intended LOL!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:35 PM
    I did test emails to all my accounts and they came through lightning fast. Now to figure out the Google calendar.....

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:43 PM
    Windows Live mail is push/instant email. This situation the OP has described is in by no means what people are complaining about. Every modern day smart phone gets "push email quickly".
    03-25-13 08:29 PM
    There are some exceptions. Yahoo for example no longer works as "push" on BB10, because Blackberry is apparently no longer linking into Yahoo's proprietary form of "push" in BB10, and Yahoo Mail does not support any of the standard "push" systems commonly used today. (ie IMAP IDLE, EAS)

I'm guessing that Yahoo is making it more difficult to connect to that system because the Android and Windows Phone platforms these days have the exact same problem. Or it could be that Blackberry made a philosophical decision to get away from proprietary email protocols in general, other than Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync which, while proprietary, is used by lots of non-Microsoft entities these days.

However because Yahoo makes a dedicated app for both Android and Windows Phone, it mitigates that issue somewhat on those platforms. Yahoo hasn't chosen to make a BB10 app yet.

More info than you ever wanted to know:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/
    03-25-13 09:23 PM
    Rolandseh, I have AT&T. I mainly use a Yahoo email account. I also have com cast. Neither of these come through until the 15 minute interval or I manually refresh. My Gmail account does come through immediately. I wish the yahoo did, but I can live with it, I guess. All my emails come through immediately on my ipad mini and also did on my iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:20 PM
    Rolandseh, I have AT&T. I mainly use a Yahoo email account. I also have com cast. Neither of these come through until the 15 minute interval or I manually refresh. My Gmail account does come through immediately. I wish the yahoo did, but I can live with it, I guess. All my emails come through immediately on my ipad mini and also did on my iPhone.
    Apple now is the only major smartphone vendor that gets quick new email notifications from Yahoo using the default email client.

Because of Yahoo's proprietary system, neither Blackberry, Windows Phone or Android devices get "push" email notifications from Yahoo.
    03-25-13 11:25 PM
    Lindstrom, I have a Yahoo and also a Gmail. How do I forward the yahoo address to the Gmail account?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:27 PM
    Yall are making me thankful that I have a Gmail account that I use exclusively and not my yahoo account. Since getting help here, my gmail email is basically as fast as my Blackberry.net address. Mahalo
    03-26-13 12:49 PM
    Lindstrom, I have a Yahoo and also a Gmail. How do I forward the yahoo address to the Gmail account?
    I believe Yahoo require upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus to provide mail forwarding,..
    but you can check under your email, Options, pop&forwarding
    03-27-13 11:48 AM
    Gmail is slow as all ****. My Hotmail/Outlook and Yahoo are pretty quick.
    03-27-13 12:50 PM
    Oh wow, that's interesting. Did you just open a gmail account?
    03-27-13 09:27 PM
    Both my personal, and work Gmail are coming in quickly still. My home email as well (Tampa Bay Roadrunner) is still coming in quickly as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 10:04 PM
94 1234