Put Z10 on the charger for the night, couldn't get it into bedside mode. Swipe down, and the black screen slid back up. Then tried to wake the phone up by doing a swipe-up, nothing happened. Tried to do a soft boot (hold the power button, tap Restart), and it started rebooting up to about 80% and then just hung. I've done two battery pulls, and the boot process keeps hanging up before fully booting up.

Haven't loaded any new apps or updated OS in weeks. No idea what to do.
    10-30-13 04:16 AM
    You should make a backup through Link.. Then wipe your phone and reinstall the latest available official OS...

From the Z...
    10-30-13 04:31 AM
    How long are you waiting after it 'hangs' at 80%. Boot up times can vary drastically.
    10-30-13 04:36 AM
    You should make a backup through Link.. Then wipe your phone and reinstall the latest available official OS...

From the Z...
    I don't think I can back it up if it isn't booted. I do have a backup from a few weeks ago, but I don't have time now to screw around with loading OS's. Pain in my ***.

How long are you waiting after it 'hangs' at 80%. Boot up times can vary drastically.
    40 minutes the last time, before I pulled the battery again. Now it's been 35 minutes, and still won't finish booting.
    10-30-13 05:30 AM
    What OS are you running? Any leaks? Did you try a hard reset of the device (holding down on the volume buttons)?

If you're running 10.2 did you go into settings and app manager and see what running in the background?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 06:03 AM
    What OS are you running? Any leaks? Did you try a hard reset of the device (holding down on the volume buttons)?

If you're running 10.2 did you go into settings and app manager and see what running in the background?

Posted via CB10
    I did a full battery pull -- several in fact. Not sure if there's a difference between that and the vol buttons, but I'll try it.

Running a 10.2.0 leak -- don't remember which one, but it's not the latest. The phone will not boot, so I can't get into settings or app manager. It hangs on the squircle; goes to around 65% then slows down drastically until it gets to about 90-95% and then it just stops progressing altogether.
    10-30-13 06:58 AM
    Just get a newer leak. Don't wait until something bad happens and start calling BlackBerry incompetent. I never use leaks for reasons like this but it could be worse for you (dead Z10) so you are off the hook for now.

via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK : OS 10.1) [ Channel @ C0012477B for BB News, MMA & Tech Updates ]
    10-30-13 07:01 AM
    Can you still swap it out with your carrier? That's what I had to do about 2 months back. Mine just died on me.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 07:08 AM
    Hope you get it fixed, Ed. Bump.
    10-30-13 07:28 AM
    I don't think I can back it up if it isn't booted. I do have a backup from a few weeks ago, but I don't have time now to screw around with loading OS's. Pain in my ***.
    If you connect to the computer through USB, you should be able to make a backup...

From the Z...
    10-30-13 08:28 AM
    Stop pulling the battery while it's trying to reboot. Last resort only.
    Have you tried plugging it onto your PC with the battery NOT in the phone?
    Have you tried going on the BBerry software update site to see if it detects the phone?
    Have you tried reloading the OS using the two methods?

How to reload the OS on a BlackBerry Z10 or BlackBerry Q10 | CrackBerry.com
    sleepngbear likes this.
    10-30-13 09:03 AM
    And most importantly don't make the time to put on beta software and no time to reinstall the OS when a "leaked" version goes awry!

What did you think could happen when you manually forced an unreleased operating system? Normally if your going the leaked OS route then loading and reloading OS's are the name of the game. In the very least stay current in your leak version. Don't imply it's somehow the manufacturers fault! Cmon!

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 09:15 AM
    Hope you get it sorted daddybear.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    10-30-13 09:22 AM
    Put Z10 on the charger for the night, couldn't get it into bedside mode. Swipe down, and the black screen slid back up. Then tried to wake the phone up by doing a swipe-up, nothing happened. Tried to do a soft boot (hold the power button, tap Restart), and it started rebooting up to about 80% and then just hung. I've done two battery pulls, and the boot process keeps hanging up before fully booting up.

Haven't loaded any new apps or updated OS in weeks. No idea what to do.
    STOP PULLING BATTERIES! Hard resets are done by holding vol/up and vol/dn simultaneously until screen goes black. Repeatedly pulling the battery while the phone is on is hard on the os.

Trusted Member Genius
    10-30-13 10:04 AM
    And most importantly don't make the time to put on beta software and no time to reinstall the OS when a "leaked" version goes awry!

What did you think could happen when you manually forced an unreleased operating system? Normally if your going the leaked OS route then loading and reloading OS's are the name of the game. In the very least stay current in your leak version. Don't imply it's somehow the manufacturers fault! Cmon!

Posted via CB10
    I don't think he implied anything. He stated his problem hoping for some help.

Posted via CB10
    sleepngbear likes this.
    10-30-13 10:34 AM
    STOP PULLING BATTERIES! Hard resets are done by holding vol/up and vol/dn simultaneously until screen goes black. Repeatedly pulling the battery while the phone is on is hard on the os.

Trusted Member Genius
    I did try a soft reset first (hold power button down for 10 secs), boot process just hung up. I've actually only done two battery pulls since then. Last time I did the vol-up/vol-down (which I was not even aware of until this morning) -- about 3 hours ago now. Squircle is still hanging, with the tiniest little gap remaining at the top.

I have not had time to mess with plugging in and reloading OS's yet -- the problem happened at around 5 AM, and I had to get ready for work and all that other useless morning crap.

Just for general info -- this leak has been on for at least a month now with no issues. In fact I went back to it from a newer leak because the newer one was buggy, and this one isn't.

I'll try the above suggested steps when I get home tonight.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    10-30-13 10:56 AM
    I don't think he implied anything. He stated his problem hoping for some help.

Posted via CB10
    "but I don't have time now to screw around with loading OS's. Pain in my ***."

This is what I was referring to. Loading leaks and messing around with non-official operating systems has a fairly high probability of things like this happening. This is why so many of people (myself included) waited for official releases. Using leaks may give you a leg up on the official release dates but it can come with un-intended consequences.

For me my work phone I cant afford to be down monkeying around with OS installs so I decided to wait. It sounds like the OP may be in the same boat so the pain in the *** he refers to may be of his own doing.

It's true the OP was looking for help but when someone offers the most reliable way to fix the problem he responds with it being a pain in the ***.
    Last edited by shiftymagoo; 10-30-13 at 11:25 AM.
    10-30-13 11:07 AM
    It's true the OP was looking for help but when someone offers the most reliable way to fix the problem he responds with it being a pain in the ***.
    It's not the help that's a pain in my ***, it's the situation in general that's a pain in my ***, especially at 5 AM when I have no time to resolve it heading into a day that I can least afford to be without my phone.
    10-30-13 12:09 PM
    It's not the help that's a pain in my ***, it's the situation in general that's a pain in my ***, especially at 5 AM when I have no time to resolve it heading into a day that I can least afford to be without my phone.
    I get what you were saying. I think what some of us interpreted was if re-installing the OS (which is the best likely resolution) is a pain in the a**. Then the safest bet would be to avoid the leaked OS's.

Good luck with your issue!
    10-30-13 02:51 PM
    If you connect to the computer through USB, you should be able to make a backup...

From the Z...
    Thanks, but no go. Link doesn't recognize the device. Computer doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in.

Can you still swap it out with your carrier? That's what I had to do about 2 months back. Mine just died on me.

Posted via CB10
    I'll look into that if things don't go well tonight. But it is about 6 months old now (?!), so I don't know if at&t would go for it.

I get what you were saying. I think what some of us interpreted was if re-installing the OS (which is the best likely resolution) is a pain in the a**. Then the safest bet would be to avoid the leaked OS's.

Good luck with your issue!
    No probs.

I've installed tons of leaks, fully aware of the risks. Most I've kept and lived with, once in awhile I've had to back off a version. This is the first time I've had a major issue, and I'm not even sure it's because of the leak. Ironically this is the one I've probably stuck with the longest without itching for an upgrade, even though there have been several since this one (.1725). .1743 had too many issues; I'm dl-ing .1767 now, so we'll see how that goes in about 44 seconds.

But I was plenty aggravated this morning, so maybe that subconsciously came through a bit.
    10-30-13 03:30 PM
    Well, it's back up. Just had to reload the OS.
    Problem now is that my latest backup is over a month old. Don't think anybody can help me with that.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help.
    10-30-13 03:52 PM