01-30-14 10:58 AM
48 12
tools
    Today in the Chicagoland area, temperatures rose north of 90 degrees. My Blackberry Z10 (Verizon, OS 10.0.9.422) did not like that at all. Several times the phone froze up, requiring me to shut it off and pull the battery. One of those times, I was trying to access my contact list and received a prompt to "add contacts". Of course, I pulled the battery and still was unable to check my contact list and/or make a call. After again pulling the battery, and finally able to make a phone call to someone I knew the number for, the phone would not hang up and required for me to... again pull the battery. To say I was frustrated, would be an understatement. Once I was able to get out of the heat and into an air conditioned building, allow my phone to cool off, I could then look up a very needed phone number and/or place a phone call. I am in the laundry business and have been in situations much hotter than this and never had this issue in the past with my BB Tour or with respect to my employees who all have Curves. This is not the first time my phone's touch screen has become none responsive and it seems to me that those incidents may have been heat related as well. I know when I use the map function it has happened on its own when the phone became extremely hot trying to navigate its own native app. Another time comes to mind trying to read a book. The bottom line, whether the phone is over taxed and becomes hot on its own or if it is subjected to hotter external temperatures, it totally freezes and becomes non-responsive. Is it possible that OS 10.2 will fix this (I've given up on 10.1 from Verizon)?
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    07-16-13 08:15 PM
    hot here in Indy too but my Z10 hasnt acted up yet. Crossing my fingers...
    07-16-13 08:20 PM
    I don't think it might be a heat issue. I'm in India and the temperatures here regularly soar north of 42 degrees celsius. Our BlackBerry's work fine here. It is possible that the STL100-1 is tropicalized whereas the others are not.

Posted via CB10
    nyallj and blakobecwa like this.
    07-16-13 08:22 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 08:27 PM
    Today in the Chicagoland area, temperatures rose north of 90 degrees. My Blackberry Z10 (Verizon, OS 10.0.9.422) did not like that at all. Several times the phone froze up, requiring me to shut it off and pull the battery. One of those times, I was trying to access my contact list and received a prompt to "add contacts". Of course, I pulled the battery and still was unable to check my contact list and/or make a call. After again pulling the battery, and finally able to make a phone call to someone I knew the number for, the phone would not hang up and required for me to... again pull the battery. To say I was frustrated, would be an understatement. Once I was able to get out of the heat and into an air conditioned building, allow my phone to cool off, I could then look up a very needed phone number and/or place a phone call. I am in the laundry business and have been in situations much hotter than this and never had this issue in the past with my BB Tour or with respect to my employees who all have Curves. This is not the first time my phone's touch screen has become none responsive and it seems to me that those incidents may have been heat related as well. I know when I use the map function it has happened on its own when the phone became extremely hot trying to navigate its own native app. Another time comes to mind trying to read a book. The bottom line, whether the phone is over taxed and becomes hot on its own or if it is subjected to hotter external temperatures, it totally freezes and becomes non-responsive. Is it possible that OS 10.2 will fix this (I've given up on 10.1 from Verizon)?
    Nice to know that there's another BlackBerry in the Chicago land area! Btw try installing the last leak 10.1.6 something you won't have any of the rebooting issues and you'll like your phone much better!

Posted via CB10
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    07-16-13 08:40 PM
    Nice to know that there's another BlackBerry in the Chicago land area! Btw try installing the last leak 10.1.6 something you won't have any of the rebooting issues and you'll like your phone much better!

Posted via CB10
    I guess I need to take the time and do that, however, I am intimidated by the process. It seems like for every one who recommends a particular radio, another person says, "no" and recommends another. I just want Verizon to do the right thing. I am concerned about the recent interview posted on CB with Thoreston Heinz, where he said that Blackberry had to draw the line and stop development on the Z10 to get it on the streets. I get that, but it sounds like the product is half baked regardless of what Verizon is doing. That said, I will try and do the research and upload a leaked OS.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    07-16-13 09:11 PM
    I left my phone in the car during the sweltering heat.

Really hot screen but it worked fine.

Also left it in the car in the middle of February winter.

No problems...

Via my Z10 beta 10.4.1.1338
    blakobecwa likes this.
    07-16-13 09:19 PM
    No issues with the heat. But boy when it gets toasty it refuses to charge!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 09:21 PM
    No matter the make of phone. If it sits in the sun or gets hot for some reason. Funny things are going to happen!!
    pandapurple likes this.
    07-16-13 09:30 PM
    I don't think it might be a heat issue. I'm in India and the temperatures here regularly soar north of 42 degrees celsius. Our BlackBerry's work fine here. It is possible that the STL100-1 is tropicalized whereas the others are not.

Posted via CB10
    I like your use of the work "tropicalized" and yes my Z10 doesn't like the heat either

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 09:38 PM
    I think it's only common sense to keep any smart phone out of the sun and excess heat.

I was out all day Sunday in 90 heat - no issues but it was under my shirt in a holster.
    07-16-13 09:41 PM
    in direct sunlight in shirtpocket on hot and humid day today in midwest. Yes my phone didnt like it. Got inside and it settled down. Its too thin, not enough room to breath.
    07-16-13 09:42 PM
    Had that freeze problem but I caused it. I disassembled my phone for a specific reason. When the main board is removed, the thermal transfer putty--which thermally ties the CPU to an aluminum frame--gets messed up. I took it apart again and redid the thermal paste. No problems since then. I wonder if the OP's phone has an issue with that thermal transfer paste.
    ldrysvcceo likes this.
    07-16-13 09:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Do this, install a leak with asap, on 10.0 my phone got really hot I'm on 10.1.0.4366 right now, latest leak and it's very stable.

Posted via CB10
    ldrysvcceo likes this.
    07-16-13 09:54 PM
    Out all day in the sun on the water in NJ. No issues here.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 09:58 PM
    I think it's a Verizon problem, perhaps you guys should tell them to wake up and get you guys an official OS 10.1 update!

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    07-16-13 10:03 PM
    It's been 90 and humid here in PA with no issues.

Tap tap Tapatalk
    ldrysvcceo likes this.
    07-16-13 10:06 PM
    Its been up 110 out here and no issues

Posted via CB10
    ldrysvcceo likes this.
    07-16-13 10:09 PM
    OP, I work in the automotive field myself, so I'm outside for a large part of the day. Haven't had a problem with my Z10, and I'm not far from you in NW Indiana so the temps are quite similar. Maybe you got a lemon. Try to return it, see what happens.

Posted with my weapon of choice, Z10.
    07-16-13 10:27 PM
    It has been well into the 90s here in Florida lately and my Z10 hasn't had any problems.
    07-16-13 10:40 PM
    Z10 on tmo.

Happenesd to me...

2 hrs working a very small and hot office. Had to take a 20 minutes phone call. After I placed the phone in my shirt pocket and left. got to my car and my bluetooth notified me it was out of reach from my phone. Immediately reached for my pocket thinking i'd left it inside, and noticed it was off. Tried power button and wouldn't turn on. "NO!!!" i thought it had died. Stripped it and remove battery, turned on the A/C and placed it directly on the vent after a minute it was really cold. Replaced battery and started right off...

No issues since then. I can only assume it was hot, then the long phone call and then placing it onto my body heat was just to much to bear for the phone...

Just glad is fine...

So it happens...

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 01:42 AM
    Placed it in an oven at 200 Celsius, no issues after.

No lol I wouldn't do that, but reading the comments about the temperature everywhere and how every ones phone is fine, I couldn't help myself

Posted via CB10
    coldfir3 likes this.
    07-17-13 03:33 AM
    Just to add to it, here in the arm pit of California with 110+ temps, no issues. I don't think it's the heat or else I'd be experiencing something.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 05:33 AM
    Using 2 here in Guyana where the average temperature is 96.8F, no issues. -3 and -4 models.
    07-17-13 06:52 AM
    I don't think it's an heat issue

Posted Via My Most Used BlackBerry App
    07-17-13 06:55 AM
48 12