Because I can't leave well enough alone, and am never satisfied.

After swapping my Z10s innards from a black body into a white one, I'm left with a spare mid-chassis. Considering giving it a custom paint job. A nice tough enamel, likely in red because I'm nothing, if not predictable.

So what I'll need:
    - some kind of primer, or sand paper. The Z10 is slightly glossy, and I doubt paint would stick right off. Primer might bulk up the thickness of the phone too much, so sanding it to a rougher texture would be best, I think.

- Painting tape, or some kind of clay, to cover the insides and external pieces. Could get away with removing all the external buttons, but there's still the insides, which won't come out.

- A tough, enamel paint. Maybe something meant for cars, or boats. Something tough, but thin, that won't wear off. Not sure about a matte finish or a semi-gloss.

So, yeah. Also need to decide whether it would be better to paint over the white or the black. Paint seems like it would stick to the black better than the white, due to the texture of the finish.

I know you can buy Q10s pre-done like this. I wonder what they use...

Posted via CB10, from my colour-confused Z10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-11-13 01:06 AM
    This one could be tricky, especially around the buttons. They seem a tight fit.

06-11-13 01:07 AM
    Ur best bet would be automotive catalyzed paint and primer and use fine line making tape. Use an airbrush to spray. And a catalyzed clear. U would have to wet sand each coat to keep the thickness down. U could spray bomb it but you would need a long drying time. Like a month before it's fully cured and it will still be a bit soft. Try whatever you do on a dummy phone first maybe?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 01:09 AM
    Oh, obviously. I'd be doing it to my spare parts, rather than right on my phone.

I'm already iffy about taking it apart to begin with, after last time. This way, if I screw up nothing of value is lost.

06-11-13 01:12 AM
    You could mask where the side buttons go. Because the buttons will cover where the area where the paint won't be anyways.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 01:14 AM
    Look into plastidip

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-11-13 01:19 AM
    True. And if you don't like it you can peel it right off.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 01:21 AM
    Info on white swap please. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-11-13 01:22 AM
    Info on white swap please. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Not sure how to link threads on CB10. Search "Z10 replacement chasis" (yes, I misspelled "chassis") for info about my incredibly poor swap job.

Long story short, it took almost two weeks because I nicked a ribbon cable on the screen and had to order a new one, the day half the online places mysteriously ran out of stock. But it's alright now.

06-11-13 01:37 AM
    Not sure how to link threads on CB10. Search "Z10 replacement chasis" (yes, I misspelled "chassis") for info about my incredibly poor swap job.

Long story short, it took almost two weeks because I nicked a ribbon cable on the screen and had to order a new one, the day half the online places mysteriously ran out of stock. But it's alright now.

And that's what held me back, from purchasing an aftermarket white housing. I usually wait for the original housing to go bad, before i attempt a replacement job.
    So...I had some PlastiDip laying around the shop, white, and I made 3 test runs, all varied in an attempt to lay the correct amount of paint. Not only for looks, but for durability and drop protection. I'll start a thread in the morning, so I can shoot the final result in the proper light. I like it, and there's zero cosmetic damage to the phone. All my buttons function properly, and the only thing I have to consider buying is a white battery cover. But I'm liking the Oreo look.
    06-11-13 02:01 AM
    I wish to know more. Is it super rubbery? How'd you tape off the usb/hdmi ports?

06-11-13 02:12 AM
    I wish to know more. Is it super rubbery? How'd you tape off the usb/hdmi ports?

I masked off all side ports with blue painters tape. Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot have rolls for affordable prices. I was tempted to detach the screen from the housing, but I decided that taking my time, and carefully masking was the safer option.
    Grip is 100% better than before. The phone doesn't feel loose in my hands anymore. I sprayed mine with a slight texture also. The matte finish looks factory and wipes clean.
    06-11-13 02:36 AM
    Interesting. I look forward to seeing your results.

If it's what I'm thinking of, I might just stop by Home Depot for a can of red and some tape tomorrow.

06-11-13 02:49 AM
    I masked off all side ports with blue painters tape. Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot have rolls for affordable prices. I was tempted to detach the screen from the housing, but I decided that taking my time, and carefully masking was the safer option.
    Grip is 100% better than before. The phone doesn't feel loose in my hands anymore. I sprayed mine with a slight texture also. The matte finish looks factory and wipes clean.
    Wow, you guys are brave ! - Would love to see how it looks like...interesting...
    06-11-13 04:56 AM
    Wow, you guys are brave ! - Would love to see how it looks like...interesting...
    06-11-13 04:57 AM
    waiting for some pictures... :-)
    06-11-13 05:43 AM
    Here's some idea of what I'm doing....
    Z10 custom paint job-img-20130606-00023.jpg
    Z10 custom paint job-img-20130611-00035.jpg
    Z10 custom paint job-img-20130611-00034.jpg

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 and Daveensannie like this.
    06-11-13 09:08 PM
    Might just hit mine with a bit of colour. Really wish there were more options than just white or black from the factory.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 09:17 PM
    Wow that looks very good! I thought they only used plastidip for cars lol, good job!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 09:18 PM
    Might just hit mine with a bit of colour. Really wish there were more options than just white or black from the factory.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. It's very limiting, on such a great device. Maybe the next batch...
    06-11-13 09:20 PM
    Wow that looks very good! I thought they only used plastidip for cars lol, good job!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I'm an automotive and Ducati motorcycle tech. and had a can left over to play with. I'm thinking about purchasing more colors, if this holds up well.
    06-11-13 09:21 PM
    Hmzz maybe I should try it also although I think of orange and leave the battery cover black. Do they have plastidip in orange?
    EDIT : never mind I looked it up and they do have it
    Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 09:25 PM
    Hmzz maybe I should try it also although I think of orange and leave the battery cover black. Do they have plastidip in orange?
    EDIT : never mind I looked it up and they do have it
    Posted via CB10
    Youtube - Plastidip Blaze...get some napkins
    Daveensannie likes this.
    06-11-13 09:27 PM
    So did you paint it first with a primer or something like that? Or just the plastidip?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 09:37 PM
    So did you paint it first with a primer or something like that? Or just the plastidip?

Posted via CB10
    Degreaser on a micro fiber towel, alcohol rub down on another micro fiber, then 7 light coats of PlastiDip at 12-16 inches. PlastiDip has excellent adhesion properties, but if the surface has a trace of contaminate...no bueno!
    Daveensannie likes this.
    06-11-13 09:43 PM
41 12