I am having a problem. Whenever I add a contact on my phone it doesn't sync with my Gmail. If i edit a contact it will sync but if I add a new contact it won't. It's a bit frustrating as I have to be writing down numbers when I'm on the road and adding them to Gmail when I get home. Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:22 AM
    A few people expressed this, including myself. I suggest you do as I, and other, and simply add the new Contact via your webmail interface, i.e. online.

Do so will save a lot of trouble i.e. this whole 'link'ing thing, I can't stand it...
    05-06-13 11:36 AM
    I am having a problem. Whenever I add a contact on my phone it doesn't sync with my Gmail. If i edit a contact it will sync but if I add a new contact it won't. It's a bit frustrating as I have to be writing down numbers when I'm on the road and adding them to Gmail when I get home. Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    I don't have a clue. I have been sync'ing with 3 email accounts (gmail, outlook.com and yahoo). When I add a contact it sync's with all 3 email accounts. (I have this set up more as a test and I am not maintaining 3 full sets of contacts in all 3 accounts).

To help us help you........
    -add any random contact (i.e. - Joe Blow, Jane Doe, etc.) and save the contact
    -now open the contact and click "Links" near the bottom of the screen

What "Links" are being added when you enter/save a "New Contact"???
    05-06-13 04:42 PM
    This thread has been dormant for 3 days, but it seems to be the appropriate place for this post.

I finally got rid of all the duplicates and corrupted contacts manually, saved them through PIM Backup to a VCF file, imported the VCF file to my empty Google Contacts, deleted all the local Contacts on the Z10, and let the Google Contacts populate my empty Z10 Contacts. All the new contacts in the Z10 were fine. So far, so good.

Now the problems:

As a poster above noted, if I add a contact to the Z10, it will not go to the Gmail list, but if I add a contact to Gmail, it /will/ go to the Z10. I can sort of live with that.

But if I add a contact to the Z10, it often goes to another completely unrelated name in my Contacts and sort of "self-merges," making that new merged contact worthless. And if I then clean out that newly merged contact manually, reverting it back to the original contact, when I do a search on the name of the contact I've added, it still brings up the name of the contact with which it had tried to merge, even though the name of the new contact is nowhere in that other contact's file.

As someone suggested in another thread, the Z10 must be keeping multiple but invisible copies of contacts somehow, thereby causing this sort of confusion and corruption of the contacts. Maybe there is some other explanation, but I wouldn't know what it could be.

The question is how to get rid of these hidden files. In the old BB OS 6 and 7 it was easy to get rid of all contacts and start all over. In OS 10, I can't see a way to do it.

Any suggestions from people working at a lower level of code on the OS 10 or Z10? Are there utilities to selectively delete files, as there were with OS 6 and 7, e.g., BBSAK and BBM?

I may cross post this on the leaked 1627 thread if there are no responses here, since that is a very active thread at this point.
    05-09-13 10:34 AM
    Wow ............... that is strange.

I am not a geek........... but from my experience around here over the past 3-4 years:
    --- I think you did a good thing to consolidate your contacts and simply sync them
    --- As so many have had problems with gmail sync and Blackberry has acknowledged a configuration issue with gmail, I'm not sure gmail was the best source. But...... many people are using gmail without issue including myself. As stated above, I am sync'ing with 3 emails (gmail, outlook.com and yahoo) and so far no problem. Most of my contacts are stored on local.

What I would suggest:
    Since you now have all of your contacts on sync (w/ gmail) ....... I would do a clean install of an OS without any restore..... simply add your apps back from BB App World and sync your contacts. Set up all accounts as if a new device. I upgraded to the .1627 leak last Friday and don't have any issues (and some of the new features are great). Anyway ........ if I were in your shoes that is what I would do. (I would also suggest possible posting another thread and getting a 2nd opinion).

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

QUESTION: What is a PIM backup and how did you do it???
    05-09-13 11:01 AM
    Wow ............... that is strange.
    What I would suggest:
    Since you now have all of your contacts on sync (w/ gmail) ....... I would do a clean install of an OS without any restore..... simply add your apps back from BB App World and sync your contacts. Set up all accounts as if a new device. I upgraded to the .1627 leak last Friday and don't have any issues (and some of the new features are great).
    QUESTION: What is a PIM backup and how did you do it???
    Thanks. In fact, I did do a 1627 clean install before this except that I restored the Settings (only) because I've got stuff in my Reminders and Notepad I don't want to lose and again, there's no obvious (to me) way to selectively restore files from within Settings. But maybe I should try that with the next leaked OS.

PIM Backup and Restore is a $1.99 App on BB World that I think works better and faster than Contacts-X. It will certainly delete all contacts faster than Contact-x. I've not restored from it to the Z10, only to Gmail from the VCF file it creates.

I was hoping that the Delete Contacts function on PIM combined with the "local contacts delete" on the Z10 would get rid of all this corruption, but it doesn't seem to do that. So your idea of a clean install w no restore of anything is probably the only way.
    05-09-13 11:12 AM
    Thanks. In fact, I did do a 1627 clean install before this except that I restored the Settings (only) because I've got stuff in my Reminders and Notepad I don't want to lose and again, there's no obvious (to me) way to selectively restore files from within Settings. But maybe I should try that with the next leaked OS.

PIM Backup and Restore is a $1.99 App on BB World that I think works better and faster than Contacts-X. It will certainly delete all contacts faster than Contact-x. I've not restored from it to the Z10, only to Gmail from the VCF file it creates.

I was hoping that the Delete Contacts function on PIM combined with the "local contacts delete" on the Z10 would get rid of all this corruption, but it doesn't seem to do that. So your idea of a clean install w no restore of anything is probably the only way.
    Deleting your contacts and reloading them will only temporarily clean up your contact list, because the way the Contacts app is designed currently, it is trying to maintain multiple copies of contact records. Over time, as you sync, as you send and receive calls, emails, texts your list will again become corrupted with duplicate entries.

These duplicates are confusing not only to the device user, but also appear to be causing confusion for the OS as it tries to decide things like where to log activity history and which contact name to display for incoming calls.

Other threads have described the problem in more detail, so I will not go into the details here, but it is much bigger than just a Google sync problem.

Although I was previously very satisfied with the Z10, I am becoming less enthusiastic every day, as I am still forced to keep my contact list on my old phone, more than a month after getting the Z10.
    05-09-13 12:16 PM
    Well i deleted all the contacts from my z10 and then sync them back using Gmail. The problem is still there where if i add the contact using the z10 it stays on the phone and doesn't sync to the cloud. If i edit a contact thought it will. For now i'll continue writing down numbers and syncing them using the cloud.
    05-09-13 12:45 PM
    Deleting your contacts and reloading them will only temporarily clean up your contact list, because the way the Contacts app is designed currently, it is trying to maintain multiple copies of contact records. Over time, as you sync, as you send and receive calls, emails, texts your list will again become corrupted with duplicate entries.

These duplicates are confusing not only to the device user, but also appear to be causing confusion for the OS as it tries to decide things like where to log activity history and which contact name to display for incoming calls.

Other threads have described the problem in more detail, so I will not go into the details here, but it is much bigger than just a Google sync problem.

Although I was previously very satisfied with the Z10, I am becoming less enthusiastic every day, as I am still forced to keep my contact list on my old phone, more than a month after getting the Z10.
    What you have said makes total sense (about the multiple copies and duplications). I, too, have become very frustrated.

Until BlackBerry actually fixes this the only solution seems to be to add contacts only in the Cloud (Google or whatever). Not a good answer at all, but it's too late to return the Z10, and there are a lot of things I like about it, especially the push email and the general interface.

I'm hoping BlackBerry will fix this soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 01:51 PM
    This is the way everything works for me:

All of my contacts were transferred to my Z10 from my 9900 at the AT&T retailer where I purchased my Z10. They were all saved to 'Local' on the Z10 with the transfer.

Any time you add a 'New Contact' it is saved to:
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    3-- All email accounts that you have sync'd
    If you have 3 email accounts sync'd it will be saved/sync'd in 5 areas (Local + SIM + 3 email sync'd accounts). I will show 1 new contact with 5 'Links'.

If you are not sync'ing any email a 'New Contact' will be saved 2 places:
    1-- Local
    2-- SIM
    You will have 1 contact with 2 'Links' (Local & SIM).

In either case, I am only winding up with 1 contact but it will either show 2 'Links' or 5 'Links'........ depending on which example above is the case.

I have not found this to be an issue and have not created duplicates (I realize others have).

THE MAIN ISSUE:
    It seems that we should be able to set a default contacts account (SIM or Local or Email 1 or Email 2 etc.). The contacts app is trying to deal with to many redundant links and trying to save contacts in to many places........ not to mention trying to merge these contacts with their respective listing in social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.).

I did a complete restore from BB Link going to 10.1.0.1627. All contacts appear to be exactly as before. Most all have 1 Link = Local since that's where the bulk of my contacts are. I do have some with 1 Link = email 1,2 or 3 ........ since I am sync'ing 3 email accounts. I did add some new contacts that have the same 5 Links as they did when created. Anyway ...... it all seems to be working for me. Not sure what I did to deserve this.

I set up the 3 email contact sync's mainly trying to test the system, looking for possible duplicate issues, etc. I have found none at this point. Everything operates flawlessly for me within contacts.

Surely sorry to see you having this issue and sorry I cannot provide more assistance.
    05-09-13 02:09 PM
    Now I'm having another problem, contacts won't sync to the phone. I added 3 contacts to my Gmail this morning and none of the 3 have synced. I have my contacts set to sync at 5 minutes and it has been way beyond 5 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 05:28 PM
    Ok so have deleted restarted my phone and I everything setup, it seem that if I want to add a contact from my phone once I do so even after I wait the 5 minutes for it to sync and nothing happens all I do is restart the phone and it syncs to my Gmail. What a work around.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 09:59 AM