Hi all,

Recently purchased a Z10 - quite pleased with the UI but the huge set back is I cannot connect it to my computer.

I installed BlackBerry Link. When I connect the phone, the phone says the device is connected to the computer. In addition, Link states that it "Cannot communicate with the device" despite it registering all the device information (Z10, PIN, etc).

I have tried the following:
    - rebooting both the phone and laptop
    - turning the phone to airplane mode
    - changing the USB settings from "detect automatically" to "Windows"
    - reinstalling Link from website, not Phone
    - uninstalled drivers from Device Manager and installed BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13)

Note: Drivers cannot be rolled back as this is my first BB10 Phone.

I am not willing to reformat the phone because I just updated all my contacts... There must be a solution to this.

More information:
    Phone: Z10, OS is 10.1.0.4181
    Laptop: Windows 7 Home x64

This issue is also persistent when I try connecting to DDPB and other side-loading software. The computer simply cannot communicate with the phone despite recognizing that it is connected.

In addition, it does not even show up as a USB connection after installing Link. Previously, it would show a "CD" in My Computer for me to download and install Link. Now nothing shows up in My Computer. It shouldn't be a computer issue because I just connected my Torch and it recognizes it and I can go in the folder and modify files as needed.

Can anyone please help? I've spent a whole day on this.

Much appreciated - Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Prevalent; 08-21-13 at 05:34 PM.
    08-11-13 08:25 PM
    Is BBDevMgr.exe running?
    08-11-13 08:57 PM
    Is BBDevMgr.exe running?
    That specific process is not. However, in the task tray, BlackBerry Device Manager is running and states how long my device has been connected.
    08-11-13 09:07 PM
    That specific process is not. However, in the task tray, BlackBerry Device Manager is running and states how long my device has been connected.
    Try restarting the BlackBerry Device Manager service.
    08-11-13 09:08 PM
    Try restarting the BlackBerry Device Manager service.
    I right-clicked and pressed Exit and plugged in again. Device Manager shows up in the task bar but not the processes.

To clarify, was that what you mean, or did you mean re-install it (I already did earlier today by uninstalling and letting the Z10 install new drivers)? Or manually type the process in as a new task?

Thanks
    08-11-13 09:29 PM
    I right-clicked and pressed Exit and plugged in again. Device Manager shows up in the task bar but not the processes.

To clarify, was that what you mean, or did you mean re-install it (I already did earlier today by uninstalling and letting the Z10 install new drivers)? Or manually type the process in as a new task?

Thanks
    Windows key + R > type "services.msc" > find BlackBerry Device Manager > right click it and click Restart.
    08-11-13 09:33 PM
    Windows key + R > type "services.msc" > find BlackBerry Device Manager > right click it and click Restart.
    Thanks - still cannot find in processes nor does the device connect, unfortunately.
    08-11-13 09:51 PM
    Thanks - still cannot find in processes nor does the device connect, unfortunately.
    Hmm...

My laptop had problems connecting to my Z10, but I reinstalled just Device Manager. I found the setup embedded in the .bar file that prompts installing Link when plugging in a phone. The components, I think, are newer than the ones that come with the Link download from the BlackBerry website.

BBDM71044.zip (35.2 MB)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!GEUmkJAZ!Q5huni...nz7dYQzj-4NVzQ
    08-11-13 09:55 PM
    Try uninstalling the drivers directly from the Windows Device Manager under Coms/Ports. Then uninstall BlackBerry Link and reboot your computer. After the reboot, install a fresh copy of BlackBerry Link (ensure you download the newest version from the BlackBerry website). I hope this helps.
    08-11-13 10:10 PM
    Prevalent, I thought the Torch uses BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The Z10's use Blackberry Link...different program

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 10:36 PM
    Nevermind my last post...brain fade...

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 10:37 PM
    Try uninstalling the drivers directly from the Windows Device Manager under Coms/Ports. Then uninstall BlackBerry Link and reboot your computer. After the reboot, install a fresh copy of BlackBerry Link (ensure you download the newest version from the BlackBerry website). I hope this helps.
    This is what I had to do. I'd recommend trying this.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    08-11-13 11:07 PM
    Hi everyone - Thank you for the responses. I just tried this and it did not work.

Overall, I think the issue is the Phone isn't even being recognized as a USB so I can't even access files without link. What should I do to address this? I have uninstalled the drivers and installed them again via the Phone. It says the instal is successful on my laptop (failed on my Desktop and could not find the drivers).

I also tried installing this BlackBerry Modem and USB Drivers, and it did not solve it either
    Link was here: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...00E456C4A49EB6

I don't mind not having Link, but I wish to just access the files via USB.

Can someone advise? Thanks
    08-21-13 02:28 PM
    Tried another USB port? Are you using a hub? What version of BB Link?

Z10-4 10.2.0.1323 via CB10
    08-21-13 02:31 PM
    So it works with link? Is there a setting like there used to be on the phone to enable mass storage mode?
    08-21-13 02:48 PM
    Try installing Link and the drivers for the phone from the net and not the phone. That may help.
    I always get my latest BB Link software from the net, not the phone. If that makes any sense?
    08-21-13 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the responses - please see my attempts below:

Tried another USB port? Are you using a hub? What version of BB Link?

Z10-4 10.2.0.1323 via CB10
    I tried multiple USB ports - no luck.

Just checked for new updates for Link and found one was published 8/19/2013 - will give that a try now.

Try installing Link and the drivers for the phone from the net and not the phone. That may help.
    I always get my latest BB Link software from the net, not the phone. If that makes any sense?
    I did not install Link from the Phone as it gave me an error.
    Regarding the USB drivers, I had downloaded BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13) - it did not solve the issue.

So it works with link? Is there a setting like there used to be on the phone to enable mass storage mode?
    Do you know how to enable this on the Z10? I would prefer using this than BB software. I love the phone, but the software drives me crazy.
    08-21-13 05:32 PM
    Thanks for the responses - please see my attempts below:

I tried multiple USB ports - no luck.

Just checked for new updates for Link and found one was published 8/19/2013 - will give that a try now.

I did not install Link from the Phone as it gave me an error.
    Regarding the USB drivers, I had downloaded BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13) - it did not solve the issue.

Do you know how to enable this on the Z10? I would prefer using this than BB software. I love the phone, but the software drives me crazy.
    Sorry no as I don't have one and maybe the option isn't even there. It is on legacy devices.
    08-21-13 05:37 PM
    From home screen, go to settings, scroll down to "storage and access", at the bottom is "USB Mass Storage". Turn it on.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 03:09 AM
    From home screen, go to settings, scroll down to "storage and access", at the bottom is "USB Mass Storage". Turn it on.

Posted via CB10
    When I go to "Storage and Access", I see "Access to Storage" and I have set "USB Connection" to "Connect to Windows". I don't see an option to turn USB Mass Storage on.

Following, there's an option to Access using Wi-Fi and then it just shows how much space I've used of the amount available.
    09-01-13 05:30 PM