Hi,
    When I am using Skype over 3G, for about five minutes, then the phone starts to become warm.
    After 10 minutes, it becomes too hot to handle, and once battery guru reported the temperature as 48 degree Celsius...

What do you think, is it a problem with Skype, or is there some issues with the Android emulator built into the z10???

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 11:03 AM
    Have d same

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:25 AM
    What is Skype? Isn't Skype laggy and outdated?it's funny watching people on TV and seeing the looooong delay / lag.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:35 AM
    Not laggy for me its ok but my problem is getting 45c + that's it

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:43 AM
    Although the programs works just fine, this thing is working the graphics pretty hard. I'm getting the same temps.
    05-29-13 08:18 AM
    It can be helpful in interpreting temperature information like this to know what the ambient temperature is in your area. Someone getting 48C on a device being used in 10C temperatures is facing a much more serious problem than someone getting 48C when they're outside in 35C weather... As they say, it's all relative.
    05-29-13 08:38 AM
    First, regardless of Z overheating, can someone really endorse Skype to be working just fine?!? Would like to believe but have never had a confirmation. If true, that is the real news of this thread.

Notwithstanding, if it's 48c, then the Z will really burn a hole in your pocket. Just a bit higher and your Z is entering no man's land for tolerances before some sort of failure/deterioration can be expected.

I presume that you must also have it in a case!?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 09:11 AM
    Yes it works fine. My 45c temp in 20c room is from Peter's Batter Guru, where this temp is from, is a mystery to me, but I suspect it's a sensor close to the battery (of course everything is close to the battery in a device this small). I'm also going to assume the heat is from the video chip and just like a desktop, it and the cpu are the main sources of heat. Consequently I've been going through skype's menus and found a setting to lower the video quality, maybe that will help keep the temp down.
    05-31-13 08:28 AM
    FYI, the reported temperature is almost certainly a "fused" reading created from multiple temperature sensors (though documentation on this stuff is pretty much non-existent outside of BB).

As far as I know, each of the two cores has its own temperature sensor, and there's at least one for the battery (probably in the battery pack, and reported from the on-battery protection circuitry to the CPU), and then there's at least one for the system as a whole, which would be the closest measurement to "ambient" that the device could manage. They'll all be integrated together using some heuristic developed by the BB engineers.

Internally they will likely be used separately by different subsystems, but the one the OS reports to us is, I believe, just this one combined form. (On the PlayBook we had access to each one separately, but not on BB10.)
    Boight likes this.
    05-31-13 08:35 AM