Because of the size of my home, I have three wireless routers, one set up as a main access point and two bridged. This has worked fine for several years, and my bold 9930 worked well with that setup, switching to the one with the strongest signal.

The Z10 acts a bit strange, and I'm looking for anyone who may have technical insights...

Although it can connect to any one if the routers and work, when it disconnects from one, it sets it to "disabled" for some reason. This prevents it from reconnecting so I find myself sitting in the vicinity of a router but connected to one two floors away! If I manually enable it and ask it to connect. It does!

Moreover, I sometimes find that I am still connected to the basement bridge even when I'm on the second floor in the same room as the main access point! This even though the access point may not be disabled on the Z10. The phone doesn't seem to get the whole switching idea... although I have had it work very occasionally. It seemed to work when I first got the Z10 when it came out. But since 10.2 it seems worse, and 10.2.1 has not helped.

Any ideas from others running a bridged network? I'm using older Linksys WRT54 routers running DD_WRT software on all. Using WEP security because it is reported most reliable with a bridged system. Same setup over 3 years.

I've tried with IPV6 on or off, and with Interaccess point handover on or off... no difference.

Running Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925 on Verizon

And ideas would be most welcome!
    02-04-14 09:31 AM
    My fear is that the BB10 software just does not handle wifi as well as the BB7 software did, BUT I don't know for sure. Does anyone else use this setup? Can anyone help here?
    02-07-14 11:50 AM
    Can you post your wifi settings for all three routers and describe or make a diagram of how you have them connected, for example if it's wired or wireless to each other. Also are you using Wireless Repeater Mode on the routers?

You can check out this as a guide:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Posted via CB10
    pkcable likes this.
    02-07-14 12:43 PM
    I believe I used that guide when I set this up years ago. They are all connected to each other wirelessly. Not st home now but will hopefully follow up with some more info later.

I find it strange that they go "disabled" every time I disconnect from any of the bridges. Forcing a reconnect works, no need to reenter security or anything, but I do need to re-enable the connection.

And sometimes the Z10 will stubbornly hang onto a basement connection with one bar while I'm sitting two feet from the main router!?
    02-07-14 02:44 PM
    The last time I setup a network like that was some years ago as well. I'm sure if I used any Virtual SSID it would have been the same as the base router's. You can also check to make sure that all of the channels are the same as well. I can't remember if the channels had to be the same or different. I do remember testing the network using a PSP and observing the MAC address of the router I was connected to changing when it automatically connected to a different router when I moved around the building. In my case I had one WRT54G2 with original Linksys Firmware connected to a cable modem via an Ethernet Cable and that WRT54G2 was connected wirelessly to another WRT54G2 running DD-WRT and setup as a wireless repeater bridge and that was also hooked up wirelessly to an Advantek Networks AWR-954GR which had the Repeater Bridge setting in it's stock Firmware. Make sure DHCP is disabled on all but the main router which is connected to your gateway (modem) or on your gateway (modem) only if you're using your main router as a bridge instead of a router and everything is on the same network. If that's the case then DHCP would have to be disabled on your main router as well. Delete any old saved WiFi connections with the same SSID as your network that are on the Z10. You can even try a brand new SSID when you're testing. Sometimes it's something very small that causes problems, for example special characters in the SSID or password or even stuff like spaces can cause issues for some devices. So try to keep it very simple when troubleshooting. Get it up and running with no security first then add a password after.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 03:56 PM
    Usually this would be my kinda thread but I'm just too tired today.

Without reading it all.. there's an option to try:
    Go to the wifi SSID, hold and select edit from the context menu pop out.

Hit inter access handover = on.

Report back the result.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 05:00 PM

Report back the result.

Posted via CB10
    Not to discredit you, but my network has been working flawlessly for years with multiple devices and I'm sure I never interfered with any inter access handover option. Maybe he should just post his current settings, recheck them and maybe simplify things by disabling security and trying a simple ssid before changing stuff that isn't even mentioned in the DD-WRT Wireless Repeater Bridge guide which might make troubleshooting more complicated by adding other variables to the equation.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 05:13 PM

Report back the result.

Posted via CB10
    In my original post I mentioned that I had already tried various settings, including Interaccess handover, with no change in behavior...
    02-08-14 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD