04-18-13 11:21 AM
63 123
tools
    I have been with Rogers for over 7 years now. I have only had 1 reason to contact Rogers for an issue, back in 2010. They resolved it in within 15 minutes, above and beyond my expectation. I early upgraded my 3 phones in March of 2012 to the 9900's. No extra fees! I upgraded MY 9900 to the Z10 on Feb 14. It was only 11 months since I got my 9900, so I thought I would have to pay a hefty fee. They waived the early upgrade fee for my Z10! Just to ice the cake, Wireless Wave gave me $150 for my 9900! No net cost!
    I pay $153.00 a month for my 3 phone, taxes included. I have early evening and weekend calling, my10, unlimited text, 2gb data, all calling features, VM, 1000 mins shared long distance. My 2 teens and I have never exceeded our limits! Yay kids! LOL.
    04-17-13 03:08 PM
    I'm with Bell but I have a customer retentions haggled plan. $50 a month and it covers all of my needs.

in my opinion, it's best sto stick out the first contract with one of the big 3 then you can haggle out a better deal. Plus you get coverage and lte

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 03:10 PM
    Unfortunately Wind would only provide me with service 50% of the time and that is unacceptable. I am required by work to be accessible 24 hours a day anywhere. My work area is from Richmond Hill to Newmarket and everything in between. I know that there are pockets in that area that Wind does not cover, nevermind the issue of not getting reception in my girlfriends basement in Mississauga lol her parents and brother are on Wind so I am familiar with their coverage areas and lack thereof lol If I lived, worked and played in the Wind coverage area, I would definitely make the switch.
    04-17-13 03:23 PM
    you get what you pay for...meaning smaller coverage area and no LTE which is a shame b/c Z10 flies on LTE
    Flies on LTE and rapes battery either way is fine just keep a spare battery and charger handy and your all in

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:00 PM
    I was on mobi 25 for talk text n dialup data.

Now 40 for 1000 minutes and unlimited text and data on Rogers lte.

Posted via CB10
    Ou guys are winning in Canada

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:03 PM
    Flies on LTE and rapes battery either way is fine just keep a spare battery and charger handy and your all in

Posted via CB10
    LTE all day here, no need for a spare battery. And you have a choice of going LTE, you can change it to 4G, 3g, etc.

I really do want a cheaper option, I really do. And wish Wind all the luck so that they can bring the prices down.

But maybe $40 was too aggressive, and couldn't be maintained hence they are looking for a buyer (ironic if it would be Rogers who buys them). But let's get real though, they want to make as much money as possible too, they aren't doing this for principal. The $40 is a sacrifice for them to lose revenue, but hopefully get more customer and slowly they would have raised the price.

When I was in the States for a period of time, I came in there thinking that I would get an awesome plan compared to Canada. Well, AT&T gave me a quote of 450 minutes and 3gb data for $80usd before tax and hidden charges and if I wanted a Canada plan it would be another $20.

So I went to T-Mobile and they have a $50 plan for unlimited nationwide and data was 2gb limit, but only the first 500mb was 4G speed, the rest would be 2G(is that edge?)

I really do hope for the CRTC to do something, but it won't be pricing, it'll probably just be 2 year contracts. *sigh*

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:39 PM
    How is WIND in the waterloo region?? I am considering switching but as this is my only phone I need good coverage. I am mainly in the city but in summer I spend a lot of time in cottage country way up north (about an hour away from North Bay), anyone know how the coverage is there? My son has a life threatening allergy to bees so I can't risk switching if I don't know for sure if it's covered. It already takes an ambulance an hour to get there, and that's with being able to call right away...

Posted via CB10 on my amazingly awesome Z10
    04-17-13 05:19 PM
    PGG- not sure where you got your information but that isn't true. Rogers owns Fido, Telus owns Koodo and Bell owns Virgin. I could see their Telus clients getting priority over their own koodo customers, but that has little relevance anymore as they all operate together, dropped calls are more of a concern 10 years ago, not so much now.

Posted via CB10
    A Telus loyalty rep told me this. She could be lying to me in order to keep me with Telus. Who knows?
    04-17-13 08:34 PM
    How is WIND in the waterloo region?? I am considering switching but as this is my only phone I need good coverage. I am mainly in the city but in summer I spend a lot of time in cottage country way up north (about an hour away from North Bay), anyone know how the coverage is there? My son has a life threatening allergy to bees so I can't risk switching if I don't know for sure if it's covered. It already takes an ambulance an hour to get there, and that's with being able to call right away...

Wind is pretty bad outside the GTA. Go to http://opensignal.com/ to compare. you are better off with Telus or Bell if you are going to go to North Bay. Telus and Bell share towers too.
    04-17-13 08:42 PM
    Wind is pretty bad outside the GTA. Go to http://opensignal.com/ to compare. you are better off with Telus or Bell if you are going to go to North Bay. Telus and Bell share towers too.
    Thank you. I'm currently with Bell and always have great service up north so I think I'm just going to pay the higher price for peace of mind

04-18-13 12:11 AM
    Well, I hope you all enjoyed the deals while they last. It's not going to last long, sadly.

In case you are unaware, Canadian industry overview:
    Rogers = Rogers, Fido, Chat-R
    Telus = Telus, Koodo
    Bell = Bell, Solo, Virgin
    Between those 3, there is ~95% market share.

The New Guys: Wind, Mobilicity, Public Mobile. Between the 3, ~5% market share.

The main brands (Rogers/Telus/Bell) are used to capture the high ARPU clients (average revenue per user). Think, most of you (heavy data users) and business clients.
    The sub brands (Fido, Solo) are used to capture cheaper ARPU clients, and more pre-paid.
    The flanker brands (Chat-R, Koodo) were introduced with one and only ONE purpose, to crush Wind/Mobilicity before they ever gain any market share, and thus never challenge the fat margins of the main brands one day.
    The new guys (Wind, Mobilicity, Public) have been trying to gobble up as many customers as possible using heavily discounted prices, because they need a certain number of customers on their network to make those networks economically viable. Right now they don't have enough customers to justify investing in upgrades to LTE, which is a major problem.

Since the flanker brand strategy has succeeded, and has prevented the new guys from gaining any major heft, it's pretty much game over, and the industry is consolidating.

Telus is formerly in talks to buy Wind (Telus in talks to buy Mobilicity as wireless upstarts seek buyers - The Globe and Mail). Just like when Rogers bought Fido years ago, they aren't buying Wind for the customers. They will buy Wind to take the spectrum, murder the brand, and kill a competitor that is eating into margins. Bills will go up.

If Telus is allowed to buy Wind, it's a virtual lock that Rogers and Bell will buy one of Mobilicity and Public Mobile, for the same reasons.

Summary: The economic forces that have kept your bill in check these past few years if you are on the main carriers, or have kept your bill extraordinarily low if you are on the sub/flanker/new entrant brand, are about to disappear. Your bill is going to go up. Count on it.
    04-18-13 01:08 AM
    Well, I hope you all enjoyed the deals while they last. It's not going to last long, sadly.

In case you are unaware, Canadian industry overview:
    Rogers = Rogers, Fido, Chat-R
    Telus = Telus, Koodo
    Bell = Bell, Solo, Virgin
    Between those 3, there is ~95% market share.

The New Guys: Wind, Mobilicity, Public Mobile. Between the 3, ~5% market share.
    That is only if the government let's them do that. You saw that they already bent the rules for foreign ownership in order to let the company (Wind) survive. This is because they want the competition. Any merger would need government approvals. Pretty sure that won't happen. They would rather see a foreign company take it over.

The only reason everyone had cheaper plans now is because of the new entrants and because people like me are their customers. That is why I won't switch from them. If they die, then we will all be screwed with prices.

People want cheap prices, they will unfortunately have to support one of the entrants and keep them alive. Plus I wonder if they would eve get LTE or just wait for the newer faster technology if they would invest in their system. Don't know.

I would still be with one of the big three and their subsidiaries if they would stop ?!$#ing ripping us off!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 02:29 AM
    Is there an advantage of LTE other than the speed? ATM, on Wind, I am getting 4-5+ Mbit download speeds which is more than enough for my own purposes.

Wind 4G is comparable to the DSL speed for my home connection which is more than adequate for me my wife and sis in law (4 computers, 3 tablets, 3 smartphones)

Based on the above, i'm not understanding the need for LTE for my own purposes and I am someone that is on the upper end of the prowess spectrum when it comes to technology. Those on the lower end would have even less need IMHO.

Therefore, LTE is probably nice to have, and I'm sure some will utilize it but many will not. The big guys will continue to gouge because they have the FASTEST network that nobody needs. It's kind of the same game they play of charging me for a bunch of channels I don't want. I'd rather Wind keep their 4G and great prices because I want to keep as much money as possible so I can retire early

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 11:21 AM
63 123