Great tips! Let's see if it starts working

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 12:57 PM
    Just wait till when you accidentally misplaced your phone or it got stolen. You're just gonna suck your thumb and wished that you didn't switch off blackberry protect and location and diagnostics option.
    08-01-13 03:16 PM
    Are you able to update your OS? If so try that and check if you can change the network mode after.
    I can not change upgrade the os without using a leak.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 03:33 PM
    Just wait till when you accidentally misplaced your phone or it got stolen. You're just gonna suck your thumb and wished that you didn't switch off blackberry protect and location and diagnostics option.
    Yeah I already thought about that and I might switch the protection stuff back on since the network mode and the screen brightness seem to be the major battery drainers.
    08-01-13 04:06 PM
    You only need Location Services for BlackBerry Protect! I haven't switched Location Serviced off because I am too scared

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:30 PM
    There's a new battery optimisation app from max software on BlackBerry world. Have you guys tried that? I just downloaded it.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 11:01 PM
    There's a new battery optimisation app from max software on BlackBerry world. Have you guys tried that? I just downloaded it.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for mentioning it, going to download it right now and give it a shot!
    08-02-13 05:59 AM
    One of the things I used to make use of on my previous handset (a Nokia N8) was the profiles, and it had some advanced use of them.

There was a specific profile called "overnight powersaving" it turned off practically everything except basic connectivity (I suspect GSM) - so turned of data, WiFi, bluetooth. Turned down the brightness settings, turned off vibrate and haptic feedback, turned off some tones, and turned loads of things down. Thing is, when you're asleep, why do you need other things being active like data - all you really want, is that your phone would alert you if you got a call..

You could use time / schedules to define when it should be in certain profiles - so I used to set mine to be in overnight powersaving from 01:00 - 06:00.

Even better, was an app that augmented this, called Nokia Situations (was a betalab program thing, so it was free, until Nokia Belle came along), that meant you could add a whole deal of extra conditions to when profiles were activated or used - things like GPS position, network location, WiFi location / connectivity and basically lots of other stuff you could use, using the handsets additional funcationality to detect.

I was always satisfied by activating profiles based on time / schedule, but Nokia Situations was truly cool. If only those sorts of features / abilities were present in more modern smartphones.

I mean Nokia obviously did this because phones like the N8 were, in there day, quite advanced, and used data and lots of other things that consumed a fair amount of power, so creating a mode, deliberately for saving power overnight (or I suppose at other times, when you weren't bothered about any active or data bearing apps being able to access data) made a lot of sense.
    08-02-13 06:55 AM
    One of the things I used to make use of on my previous handset (a Nokia N8) was the profiles, and it had some advanced use of them.

There was a specific profile called "overnight powersaving" it turned off practically everything except basic connectivity (I suspect GSM) - so turned of data, WiFi, bluetooth. Turned down the brightness settings, turned off vibrate and haptic feedback, turned off some tones, and turned loads of things down. Thing is, when you're asleep, why do you need other things being active like data - all you really want, is that your phone would alert you if you got a call..

You could use time / schedules to define when it should be in certain profiles - so I used to set mine to be in overnight powersaving from 01:00 - 06:00.

Even better, was an app that augmented this, called Nokia Situations (was a betalab program thing, so it was free, until Nokia Belle came along), that meant you could add a whole deal of extra conditions to when profiles were activated or used - things like GPS position, network location, WiFi location / connectivity and basically lots of other stuff you could use, using the handsets additional funcationality to detect.

I was always satisfied by activating profiles based on time / schedule, but Nokia Situations was truly cool. If only those sorts of features / abilities were present in more modern smartphones.

I mean Nokia obviously did this because phones like the N8 were, in there day, quite advanced, and used data and lots of other things that consumed a fair amount of power, so creating a mode, deliberately for saving power overnight (or I suppose at other times, when you weren't bothered about any active or data bearing apps being able to access data) made a lot of sense.
    +

That sounds pretty damn nice to be honest, would be nice if BlackBerry integrated that into their OS at some point.
    08-02-13 07:17 AM
    When you're asleep, why wouldn't you have your phone on the charger? There seem to be a lot of people who don't charge their phone while they're sleeping, but I've never understood why not.

When BB10 has the ability to run headless apps, I think we'll see more utilities like this--if developers get access to all the relevant settings.
    08-02-13 07:56 AM
    When you're asleep, why wouldn't you have your phone on the charger? There seem to be a lot of people who don't charge their phone while they're sleeping, but I've never understood why not.
    Normally speaking I would - I think it helped in travel scenarios, though - or when you didn't have easy access to a charger - you could switch on overnight powersaving at times when you didn't need the handset to use any data, but still wanted to be alerted to any calls / messages. Plus, I suspect some of it was shooting for the green / eco thing - why use power (after all, one way or another it still has to be fueled) when you don't need it.

When BB10 has the ability to run headless apps, I think we'll see more utilities like this--if developers get access to all the relevant settings.
    One of the things I've been rather underwhelmed with, really, is that the key value-add things I want out of a smartphone, and the Z10 has been comprehensively bested on, by my previous handset (the Nokia N8), refreshed in my focus, recently, because my Z10 needed to be returned for repair (eventually replaced) so I had to go back to using my N8. Beyond calls, which even that I tend to prefer my N8 for, it was clearly superior in terms of the camera, gps / sat nav, and sports tracking apps (both in terms of performance and features).

On the flip-side, my Z10 is much more competent when using it for browsing, for typing messages locally (although when using a computer, you could type them on the computer with the N8 connected via USB, using Nokia Suite), and it will record video at 1080p, whereas the N8 can only record in 720p.

Connectivity is similar - N8 has mini HDMI, Z10 micro HDMI, both use and can charge over micro USB (Z10 has to, N8 also has a dedicated / propreitary charging port, too), N8 has USB OTG natively (and comes with a OTG adaptor in the box).

I don't regret getting the Z10 - when it was replaced I had the option of changing to other contemporary smartphone peers, but still chose it over Android, Windows phone, or iPhone, I think it's just poignant to me because I had to go back to my N8 for a couple of weeks, and the two other main things I use in a smartphone - camera and gps / sat nav, the N8 isn't just a little better, it's a lot better at those things.

I'm not a hater, though, I had the option to change to a different handset from a Z10, when it needed replacing - I just lament that somethings haven't progressed, they've regressed a bit.
    ubizmo likes this.
    08-02-13 08:21 AM
    Normally speaking I would - I think it helped in travel scenarios, though - or when you didn't have easy access to a charger - you could switch on overnight powersaving at times when you didn't need the handset to use any data, but still wanted to be alerted to any calls / messages.
    Well, you can turn Data Services off in Settings > Network Connections > Mobile Network, and that will get you what you want, but certainly it would be nice to have a way to quickly toggle this.

Plus, I suspect some of it was shooting for the green / eco thing - why use power (after all, one way or another it still has to be fueled) when you don't need it.
    Yup, I can see your point, although I'm pleased with how little power my Z10 uses when it's just idling and receiving the odd email.

One of the things I've been rather underwhelmed with, really, is that the key value-add things I want out of a smartphone, and the Z10 has been comprehensively bested on, by my previous handset (the Nokia N8), refreshed in my focus, recently, because my Z10 needed to be returned for repair (eventually replaced) so I had to go back to using my N8. Beyond calls, which even that I tend to prefer my N8 for, it was clearly superior in terms of the camera, gps / sat nav, and sports tracking apps (both in terms of performance and features).
    I never used the N8, but the cameras on that series of phones were legendary. TomTom appears to be committed to improving the navigation features of BB10, but we'll have to believe it when we see it.

But getting back to the first point, I was responding not just to your comment but to a lot of people who apparently don't always charge their phones when they go to bed at night. I could understand this back in the day when cell phones routinely lasted four or five days on a charge, but in the smartphone era it just seems like a basic thing to charge the phone overnight so that it's fully charged the next morning and ready for the day.
    08-02-13 12:57 PM
    [QUOTE=
    But getting back to the first point, I was responding not just to your comment but to a lot of people who apparently don't always charge their phones when they go to bed at night. I could understand this back in the day when cell phones routinely lasted four or five days on a charge, but in the smartphone era it just seems like a basic thing to charge the phone overnight so that it's fully charged the next morning and ready for the day.[/QUOTE]

I don't charge my phone overnight; i don't remember where but i read that leaving your phone charged when the battery is fully charged actually ends up hurting the battery over time. similar to disclaimers you read on some electronic devices that say "don't over charge the battery"...aside from that, having it plugged in consumes power and increases your electric bill, even if it is by just a few cents. doing this year round adds up...it is actually recommended to unplug anything you are not using in the household..tv's, toasters, pc's, radios, etc. to save energy...most don't because it's an inconvenience but i do for my phone since it only takes me about 20 min. to fully charge it when i wake up.
    08-02-13 02:29 PM
    I don't charge my phone overnight; i don't remember where but i read that leaving your phone charged when the battery is fully charged actually ends up hurting the battery over time. similar to disclaimers you read on some electronic devices that say "don't over charge the battery".
    I'm using "Max Battery Optimizer" since yesterday, the app is awesome and the sound notification it made when the battery was fully charged actually woke me up last night and made me unplug the device! You guys should really give that one a shot, it really seems to be worth it!
    08-03-13 07:56 AM
    What you suggested is like advising to drive Corvette in second gear at 20 mph to save gas. Since you crippled your Z10 by switching off the very features that makes it a Z10, you might as well go back to five years old BB. You will be able to call, email and BBM.

Posted via CB10
    I’m kind of agreeing with TTQ225, instead of spending my time, and creativity on ways of neutering the Z10s awesomeness. I think it would be more satisfying and fun to use my time and creativity to figure out clever ways of providing the Z10 with power, recharging.

- I plug my Z10 in every night when I sleep.
    - I plug it in (premium charger) when I’m back from being out and it’s just going to sit on a table for a half hour or so before I go out again.
    - I have the BlackBerry premium car charger and recharge while I’m driving.

My Z10 always has lots of power for doing whatever, maps, playing music, messaging, screen brightness at 100%, instant emails, etc.
    08-03-13 08:32 AM
    I’m kind of agreeing with TTQ225, instead of spending my time, and creativity on ways of neutering the Z10s awesomeness. I think it would be more satisfying and fun to use my time and creativity to figure out clever ways of providing the Z10 with power, recharging.

- I plug my Z10 in every night when I sleep.
    - I plug it in (premium charger) when I’m back from being out and it’s just going to sit on a table for a half hour or so before I go out again.
    - I have the BlackBerry premium car charger and recharge while I’m driving.

My Z10 always has lots of power for doing whatever, maps, playing music, messaging, screen brightness at 100%, instant emails, etc.
    Well I can only repeat myself when I say that the only really powerful thing I switched off is the 3G/4G connection. The rest of the settings adjusted are only minor things in my opinion and if I want fast internet for more than just messaging I simply switch it back on for the period of time needed.
    Last edited by Phil100291; 08-03-13 at 09:01 AM.
    08-03-13 08:48 AM
    I don't charge my phone overnight; i don't remember where but i read that leaving your phone charged when the battery is fully charged actually ends up hurting the battery over time. similar to disclaimers you read on some electronic devices that say "don't over charge the battery"...aside from that, having it plugged in consumes power and increases your electric bill, even if it is by just a few cents.
    Modern smartphones have smart circuitry that prevents overcharging. When the battery is fully charge, the charging process is stopped and doesn't resume until the charge has dropped a little bit, so charging overnight won't hurt it. Lithium ion batteries like to be topped up anyway. But for sure, running the charger overnight does add to your electricity usage. But I use an older, lower wattage Nokia charger, which charges the phone very slowly. Doing this adds to the life of the battery because it doesn't heat up as much. The faster you charge, the hotter the battery gets, and the sooner you'll need to replace it. So slow/cool charging is "green" and economical in the sense that it allows batteries a longer lifespan before needing replacement.
    miker476 and Rocknritch like this.
    08-03-13 09:42 AM
    I'm using "Max Battery Optimizer" since yesterday, the app is awesome and the sound notification it made when the battery was fully charged actually woke me up last night and made me unplug the device! You guys should really give that one a shot, it really seems to be worth it!
    Well YOU may like being randomly woken at night but I sure don't. To have some tone wake me up to remind me to unplug my phone is unproductive and pointless. There is a reason it comes with bedside mode...and the app you recommend is actually a featured app on the front page and is being cluttered with bad reviews...i'm not the type that needs to see numbers to determine how much power I have left on my phone. There's a battery icon for a reason...and if I did want to see the percentage I can see that in the settings...for free.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 03:30 AM
    Well YOU may like being randomly woken at night but I sure don't. To have some tone wake me up to remind me to unplug my phone is unproductive and pointless. There is a reason it comes with bedside mode...and the app you recommend is actually a featured app on the front page and is being cluttered with bad reviews...i'm not the type that needs to see numbers to determine how much power I have left on my phone. There's a battery icon for a reason...and if I did want to see the percentage I can see that in the settings...for free.

Posted via CB10
    Well I'm not usually charging my phone at night so I'm pretty ok with waking me up that night, gladly I survived. The good thing is that I tend to forget to unplug my phone when it is fully charged so the signal tone is a good thing for me. Coming from an iPhone 4S I'm used to have the battery percentage shown on the homescreen and to be honest I was missing it right away when I layed hands on my Z10 and it annoyed me to open the settings everytime to look it up. The app itself has a total of 13 reviews while averaging 4 out of 5 stars. Not too much of a bad review clutter if you ask me...actually only one guy rated it with 1 out of 5 stars while only asking "How do I get a refund?".
    08-04-13 09:08 AM
    Well I'm not usually charging my phone at night so I'm pretty ok with waking me up that night, gladly I survived. The good thing is that I tend to forget to unplug my phone when it is fully charged so the signal tone is a good thing for me. Coming from an iPhone 4S I'm used to have the battery percentage shown on the homescreen and to be honest I was missing it right away when I layed hands on my Z10 and it annoyed me to open the settings everytime to look it up. The app itself has a total of 13 reviews while averaging 4 out of 5 stars. Not too much of a bad review clutter if you ask me...actually only one guy rated it with 1 out of 5 stars while only asking "How do I get a refund?".
    The reviews i was referring to were the ones on the front page in the comments section...it seems like you might have some ocd issues if you really have an insatiable need to look at percentages...anyhow, the app is NOT a battery saving tip but simply another source to look at your battery.
    08-04-13 05:54 PM
    Well whatever you call my "disorder", I just happen to like the percentages to be accessible right away since it's sometimes hard for me to tell how much juice I've got left by only staring at the battery symbol. I hope they'll add it in future releases, feel free to keep it off buddy!
    08-06-13 08:04 AM
    Modern smartphones have smart circuitry that prevents overcharging. When the battery is fully charge, the charging process is stopped and doesn't resume until the charge has dropped a little bit, so charging overnight won't hurt it.
    The manual for the Samsung S4 disagrees with you (that was the moment I decided to return it and exchange for the Z10)

I'm always amused by "battery saving" tips because they all end up being the same - use your device less. This thread at least adds a measure of relativity to the proceedings by suggesting elements that save MORE than others, and the suggestion of zero brightness was appreciated - I'd never even tried it, assuming that it would effectively be almost "screen off".

Re: Overnight optimisation - BBOS had something that was somewhat useful in this respect...Auto On/Off. I know it wouldn't work for all situations, but it would mean I'd wake up with a battery within 2% of wherever I'd left it.
    Phil Schulte likes this.
    08-07-13 01:49 AM
    Hey guys,

I know there are bazillion threads and topics out there dealing with the Z10 battery life and how to improve it but nevertheless I decided to share this with you guys!
    About two days ago I changed some settings on my device which improved my battery life dramatically!
    I used to get about seven to eight hours of battery life with minor usage (some calls, whatsapp, some browsing, emails...nothing spectacular). Now with the changes I made I'm at 18% after already 41 hours without charging once! What I did was the following:

1. Network: Network Mode to 2G only (that's enough for Whatsapp, BBM, Mails etc.) - WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC off
    2. Notifications: Vibrate off (never missed a single notification even when the phone was in holster in my pocket)
    3. Accounts: Main e-mail account sync interval set to 1 hour, push off - Facebook is in use, didn't turn that off
    4. Display: Screen brightness set to 0% (Autobrightness still working nicely through day and night, never too dark to read) - Allow gestures when locked is off - Screen lock timeout set to 20 seconds
    5. Blackberry Protect: off
    6. Security and Privacy: Diagnostics are turned off
    7. Location Services: off

There you have it guys, I hope that this was somewhat helpful although I know that you can basicly find that everywhere.
    I'm very pleased with the outcome so far!
    Im runnin the new leaked 10.2.0.1047 on my Z10 with Verizon. I cant seem to be able to turn off my 4g... does anyone know if this is possible?
    AlvinKeo likes this.
    08-07-13 02:10 AM
    Im runnin the new leaked 10.2.0.1047 on my Z10 with Verizon. I cant seem to be able to turn off my 4g... does anyone know if this is possible?
    It seems as if that's the case for a lot of people, not sure why though! For me it's actually possible to disable 4G in the Network Mode Settings. Anyone able to help out here?
    08-07-13 03:24 AM
    I am facing a weird problem on the spare battery of my Z10. It's been running on 0% for more than 3 hrs now. I had charged it through my charger bundle yesterday and when I put it on my Z10 it showed that the charge was only 20%. So I put it on the charger again but it refused to charge. Then I put it for charging overnight and then in the morning again at 20%. Yesterday it surged from 20 odd % to 100% all of a sudden. Attaching screenshots for the weirdness. Can anybody help by explaining what is happening
    Z10 Battery Life Tips-img_00000096.png
    Z10 Battery Life Tips-img_00000087.png

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 04:17 AM
62 123