Hey guys,

I know there are bazillion threads and topics out there dealing with the Z10 battery life and how to improve it but nevertheless I decided to share this with you guys!
    About two days ago I changed some settings on my device which improved my battery life dramatically!
    I used to get about seven to eight hours of battery life with minor usage (some calls, whatsapp, some browsing, emails...nothing spectacular). Now with the changes I made I'm at 18% after already 41 hours without charging once! What I did was the following:

1. Network: Network Mode to 2G only (that's enough for Whatsapp, BBM, Mails etc.) - WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC off
    2. Notifications: Vibrate off (never missed a single notification even when the phone was in holster in my pocket)
    3. Accounts: Main e-mail account sync interval set to 1 hour, push off - Facebook is in use, didn't turn that off
    4. Display: Screen brightness set to 0% (Autobrightness still working nicely through day and night, never too dark to read) - Allow gestures when locked is off - Screen lock timeout set to 20 seconds
    5. Blackberry Protect: off
    6. Security and Privacy: Diagnostics are turned off
    7. Location Services: off

There you have it guys, I hope that this was somewhat helpful although I know that you can basicly find that everywhere.
    I'm very pleased with the outcome so far!
    07-29-13 10:46 AM
    Thanks for some of your tips.
    however I need some of those things ON that you turned off. nice that you can live with 0% brightness and all. Some of us are not that lucky. Oh and in my work environment, the vibrate is what I rely on for messages.

So some of the features may work for some I guess.
    Thanks for writing them all down.
    PrincessCar likes this.
    07-29-13 10:52 AM
    What happens if I turn off push? How does it affect my emails?
    07-29-13 10:56 AM
    Yeah I know that it highly depends on the persons needs, it's set to how it suits me best and the outcome was way more than I expected.
    07-29-13 10:56 AM
    What happens if I turn off push? How does it affect my emails?
    "Push email is an email system that provides an always-on capability, in which new email is actively transferred (pushed) as it arrives by the mail delivery agent (MDA) (commonly called mail server) to the mail user agent (MUA), also called the email client. Email clients include smartphones and, less strictly, IMAP personal computer mail applications."

Wikipedia explains it best!
    07-29-13 11:00 AM
    Great stuff man, you helped me out a lot!!! Went from 8 to about 30 hours of battery life!
    PrincessCar likes this.
    07-30-13 06:03 AM
    Great stuff man, you helped me out a lot!!! Went from 8 to about 30 hours of battery life!
    That's great to hear!
    PrincessCar likes this.
    07-30-13 06:19 AM
    On turning off "allow screen gestures when locked":
    this was also one of the things I repeatedly mentioned when replying to threads complaining about battery life.
    However, since upgrading to .2312, and since constantly moving between the q10 (where I have this feature on) and the Z10 (where I always missed the feature), I decided to give it another try.
    Guess what?
    It almost made no difference! My Z10 lasts almost 2 days now on average use. Sometimes even longer when being lazy and not doing a lot with it.
    Before the upgrade, turning this feature off was one of the biggest battery savers. Now I can use it, And it doesn't seem to impact battery life a lot.
    IMO, this is an excellent performance, and I never had a battery last that long on any other large screen smartphone that I used before.
    07-30-13 06:53 AM
    Allow gestures when locked is off
    I could never live with this feature off.

Great post though!
    07-30-13 10:51 PM
    I just set my Z10 with your exact settings, i'm waiting for the magic. I run 10.1.0.2006 and usually get 15 hours of battery life. Wouldlove my Zed to get24+, i would be totally stoked. That would be all i truly needed
    07-31-13 12:58 AM
    I just set my Z10 with your exact settings, i'm waiting for the magic. I run 10.1.0.2006 and usually get 15 hours of battery life. Wouldlove my Zed to get24+, i would be totally stoked. That would be all i truly needed
    Make sure to let me know if it worked for you! Good luck! By the way mine is running 10.1.0.2312! I got around 30 hours yesterday with medium to heavy usage, lots of whatsapp messages, mails, calls...! Totally satisfied!
    07-31-13 10:16 AM
    I missed my instant e-mail coming in
    07-31-13 12:46 PM
    I missed my instant e-mail coming in
    Never bothered me too much since I hardly ever get mails that are that important to be answered right away.
    PrincessCar likes this.
    07-31-13 01:52 PM
    glad i stumbled on this and decided to double check my settings which i had most of them turned off...apparently whenever you do a software upgrade it defaults some (maybe most) back to on...so double check if you ever do an upgrade or have to reinstall at some point...

I might add that i have found the security diagnostics and gestures ON to be the biggest battery drainers...those of you looking for extra life should start with those before turning the others off and see if you're happy with what you get.
    PrincessCar likes this.
    07-31-13 02:45 PM
    glad i stumbled on this and decided to double check my settings which i had most of them turned off...apparently whenever you do a software upgrade it defaults some (maybe most) back to on...so double check if you ever do an upgrade or have to reinstall at some point...

I might add that i have found the security diagnostics and gestures ON to be the biggest battery drainers...those of you looking for extra life should start with those before turning the others off and see if you're happy with what you get.
    For me the biggest battery drainer was by far the network mode switching between 2G, 3G and 4G. Setting that to 2G only made the biggest impact on my battery life. And of course the screen brightness. Currently testing the battery life on 10.1.0.4181!
    07-31-13 05:34 PM
    For me the biggest battery drainer was by far the network mode switching between 2G, 3G and 4G. Setting that to 2G only made the biggest impact on my battery life. And of course the screen brightness. Currently testing the battery life on 10.1.0.4181!
    Gotta ask, how do I set it from 4 g to any lower version?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 10:51 PM
    Settings, network connections, mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 12:53 AM
    Settings, network connections, mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah don't see the option for a lower network

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:52 AM
    Yeah don't see the option for a lower network

Posted via CB10
    Which OS version of BB10 are you currently running on your Z10 and which carrier do you have?
    Last edited by Phil100291; 08-01-13 at 05:41 AM.
    08-01-13 05:10 AM
    I don't go down to 2G, but I keep LTE turned off. LTE seems to be a major drain, and I never had a problem with H+ speed anyway.

You don't have to turn off Location Services, as long as you don't keep any apps running that use them. It's an on-demand service, and if there's no demand the GPS radio doesn't get turned on.

I think turning off push email is a good idea, except for people who really need instant email delivery. I have three email accounts. One of them I rarely use, and I have push turned off, and sync set to 24 hour intervals. To answer a question asked above, "push" means, in practical terms, instant delivery of email to your phone. "Sync" means mirroring the state of email folders on your phone and on the server. So suppose you have push turned on and sync set to 15 minutes: An email is sent to you; you get it on your phone immediately. You read it and delete it. The deletion won't show up on the server (webmail, for example) until the next sync, up to 15 minutes later. If you turn off sync, then you won't get that email until the next sync interval.

As I understand it, push is pretty efficient these days, and shouldn't take too much of a toll on the battery. But even so, if you have email accounts that are low priority, you'll save some juice by turning push off and setting them to a less frequent sync interval. The Android email app has a feature that lets you set push to be turned on during "peak hours," which you can define, then revert to a different setting the rest of the time. This wouldn't be a bad idea for BB10.

I don't know what turning off BlackBerry Protect accomplishes. It doesn't do anything, to my knowledge, until you go on the web and use it to locate your device. At that time, a signal gets pushed to the device to turn on GPS and send the location back. The rest of the time, it's inert. The OS 10.2 Device Monitor shows this.

Personally, I find 0% screen brightness too dim in most circumstances.

I don't bother with lock screen gestures. I have and prefer a flip case that turns the screen off when closed, as well as protecting it.
    Rocknritch and TTQ225 like this.
    08-01-13 08:01 AM
    Which OS version of BB10 are you currently running on your Z10 and which carrier do you have?
    10.1.0.2019 with att

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:25 AM
    10.1.0.2019 with att

Posted via CB10
    Are you able to update your OS? If so try that and check if you can change the network mode after.
    08-01-13 10:59 AM
    Hey guys,

I know there are bazillion threads and topics out there dealing with the Z10 battery life and how to improve it but nevertheless I decided to share this with you guys!
    About two days ago I changed some settings on my device which improved my battery life dramatically!
    I used to get about seven to eight hours of battery life with minor usage (some calls, whatsapp, some browsing, emails...nothing spectacular). Now with the changes I made I'm at 18% after already 41 hours without charging once! What I did was the following:

1. Network: Network Mode to 2G only (that's enough for Whatsapp, BBM, Mails etc.) - WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC off
    2. Notifications: Vibrate off (never missed a single notification even when the phone was in holster in my pocket)
    3. Accounts: Main e-mail account sync interval set to 1 hour, push off - Facebook is in use, didn't turn that off
    4. Display: Screen brightness set to 0% (Autobrightness still working nicely through day and night, never too dark to read) - Allow gestures when locked is off - Screen lock timeout set to 20 seconds
    5. Blackberry Protect: off
    6. Security and Privacy: Diagnostics are turned off
    7. Location Services: off

There you have it guys, I hope that this was somewhat helpful although I know that you can basicly find that everywhere.
    I'm very pleased with the outcome so far!
    What you suggested is like advising to drive Corvette in second gear at 20 mph to save gas. Since you crippled your Z10 by switching off the very features that makes it a Z10, you might as well go back to five years old BB. You will be able to call, email and BBM.

Posted via CB10
    ingeniumed likes this.
    08-01-13 12:01 PM
    What is the point of having a phone with these features if you are turning them all off?
    08-01-13 12:03 PM
    What you suggested is like advising to drive Corvette in second gear at 20 mph to save gas. Since you crippled your Z10 by switching off the very features that makes it a Z10, you might as well go back to five years old BB. You will be able to call, email and BBM.

Posted via CB10
    The only really awesome thing that I switched off is the highspeed internet because I don't need it to be on all the time. Customizing the rest of the settings doesn't really cripple it in my opinion. Nevertheless it's a personal thing, if you don't like driving a "Corvette in second gear at 20 mph to save gas" then don't. Disabling the stuff I disabled doesn't really make it less powerful. Edit: I wouldn't call this phone a Corvette anyways since it really isn't much of a cool car.
    PrincessCar likes this.
    08-01-13 12:38 PM
62 123