I too have been a victim of crappy battery life on the new Z10.

I had a chat with a friend of mine who works in the technical side of Telus and he gave me this tip that so far has shown a dramatically increase in battery life.

1) Go into settings
    2) Open Network Connections
    3) Open Mobile Network
    4) Open Network Technology
    5) Click on HSPA+/UMTS

Voila....enjoy the extended battery life!

Why is the next question you may have now?

We all know that LTE although its super fast, drains your battery. The next level down is HSPA/GSM. Most carriers do not utlize the GSM with the browser, so go down to option # 5...not only will you get super fast speeds while browsing, but you will also extend your battery life.

Give it a shot and see for yourself!

C
    02-20-13 12:59 PM
    Absolutely. We mentioned that tip and more in this article on Getting the most battery life from your BlackBerry Z10.
    02-20-13 01:13 PM
    I find the Z10 is quite smart at detecting whether it should use lte or hspa.

I leave it on lte now. I let the phone sort out if it wants lte or hspa.

I don't think there's that much of a difference in battery life. Unless your area has terrible lte coverage.

Posted via CB10
    djdragon likes this.
    02-20-13 01:43 PM
    One of the reasons I bought the z10 was specifically to have lte. I don't want to have to turn it off. What would be useful would be a simple app to quickly toggle from lte to hspa. Or, automatically toggle to hspa when the device is locked. Unlock and lte turns back on! that would be nice...

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG, mrbbsecurity and ScwB like this.
    02-20-13 03:13 PM
    Switching to HSPA+ rather than LTE seems to have made a vast difference for the battery life on my phone. It could be poor LTE coverage but this is my first time with LTE and I haven't paid that much attention so I'm not sure.
    cceretti likes this.
    02-20-13 03:40 PM
    Honestly... maybe I'm in the minority here but LTE is simply going to burn through my data plan in no time at all. (I only have a 500 mb plan... I'm almost a week into this billing cycle and I've used 24.9 megabytes... lol)

I personally don't stream music or videos without wifi - any use I have of data is the odd need to look something up on the internet or to use the GPS...

So LTE to me wasn't a big concern when I got the Z10. I've seen a definite increase in battery life shutting it off and frankly it's been a painless experience for me to not have it.

With that said I DO like that I have the ability to turn LTE on at any time should I feel the internet is laggy or the connection is glitchy (which hasn't happened yet.)

Granted my phone has idled quite a bit of the day but I have taken a few phone calls and have used text and bbm all day and given the phone about 15 minutes of app use. It's been unplugged for 8 hours now and I'm currently at 86%. No LTE needed for me!

-Chris-
    02-20-13 03:48 PM
    If your LTE coverage sucks then the battery life will suffer a lot because the phone works harder to either find or maintain a weak signal. If you have a couple bars on LTE but full bars on HSPA then your battery will be way better on HSPA

Posted via CB10
    cceretti likes this.
    02-20-13 03:52 PM
    Good tip, I was only getting about two bars in my house in downtown Ottawa with Bell on LTE, I get five bars on HSPA+, just switched it!

A few minutes of surfing and I don't find a huge difference in speed.
    02-20-13 04:30 PM
    Good tip, I was only getting about two bars in my house in downtown Ottawa with Bell on LTE, I get five bars on HSPA+, just switched it!

A few minutes of surfing and I don't find a huge difference in speed.
    I did the same at my house in Calgary I only wish there was some faster way to get to the network settings to switch over faster haha I liked sbsettings on my iPhone for that. They should allow the user to choose what shortcuts we want in that Window that you drag down.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 05:18 PM
    When I'm at home I use WIFI and when I'm just roaming around and doing mail, 4G is lots. Saves a lot of battery. A lot!

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 06:18 PM
    Lte is nice on cold days, no need to wear gloves as the phone gets so hot
    Justam and francois626 like this.
    02-20-13 06:46 PM
    I don't see this network technology option in my settings...I'm in the UK if that means something

Posted via CB10
    Nels likes this.
    02-20-13 07:02 PM
    It's been 6 hours for me since full charge on LTE and battery is down to 35%. I did it as a test. Have been using it quite a bit for browsing and texting and about 45min calling today so the screen has been on a lot. I have between 2-3 bars LTE at my house and the call drops down to 4g since there is no voice over LTE on Rogers in Canada.

It's not exactly scientific but I know my galaxy s3 would be dead by now lol so I'm pretty happy with battery life at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 07:59 PM
    Giving this a try now.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 08:06 PM
    I don't believe I get lte at my house either so I just switched it as suggested... will see how much of a difference it makes here as well as at work.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 09:07 PM
    Turn off gestures while in lock mode as has previously been suggested.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 09:13 PM
    Mmmm I guess these options only appears if you are with LTE provider, I'm on O2 UK and only got 3G & 2G options
    02-20-13 10:22 PM
    Mmmm I guess these options only appears if you are with LTE provider, I'm on O2 UK and only got 3G & 2G options
    I was talking to a friend in the UK with one as well and he said the same thing. Are these the CDMA variants?
    02-20-13 10:27 PM
    What I'm wondering is if other flagship phones (iPhone 5, SGS III) have similar battery life when they're hammered with LTE usage.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 10:45 PM
    - doesn't have that option on my z10

Model number STL100-2
    02-20-13 10:49 PM
    This is almost as lame as the 'tip' to turn off 3G in the OS7 devices. You should not have to disable stuff like LTE and 3G to get acceptable battery life from any device. Blackberry blew it with their anaemic 1800 mah battery, especially when their power management features aren't that robust.

I say this with bitterness as someone who SUFFERED through the 9900's abysmal battery life. it feels so long ago from the time when I was enraptured with the awe-inspiring battery life of my 9700.
    pauuly likes this.
    02-21-13 12:28 AM
    - doesn't have that option on my z10

Model number STL100-2
    I have the same model. It's a choice of bands really. 2G, 2G + 3G, 2G, 3G + 4G. I've chosen to throttle the Z10 to 2 and 3G. I'm not particularly happy about it, but my 4G coverage here is spotty and it does chew through the battery.
    02-21-13 12:41 AM
    500mb is a crime. You probably pay a lot for that too.

Honestly... maybe I'm in the minority here but LTE is simply going to burn through my data plan in no time at all. (I only have a 500 mb plan... I'm almost a week into this billing cycle and I've used 24.9 megabytes... lol)

I personally don't stream music or videos without wifi - any use I have of data is the odd need to look something up on the internet or to use the GPS...

So LTE to me wasn't a big concern when I got the Z10. I've seen a definite increase in battery life shutting it off and frankly it's been a painless experience for me to not have it.

With that said I DO like that I have the ability to turn LTE on at any time should I feel the internet is laggy or the connection is glitchy (which hasn't happened yet.)

Granted my phone has idled quite a bit of the day but I have taken a few phone calls and have used text and bbm all day and given the phone about 15 minutes of app use. It's been unplugged for 8 hours now and I'm currently at 86%. No LTE needed for me!

-Chris-
    02-21-13 12:42 AM
    lol its not rocket science guys
    My point was if you have crappy signal (whether that be LTE or HSPA/UMTS) it'll use more battery trying to maintain the weak signal so try dropping down if you want to see your battery life improve. The argument some make is that "i bought an LTE device to use on LTE damnit!" well yeah... but what can you do... i would personally have no problem dropping to a slower speed network to increase battery life (edge connectivity on a phone that is on is better than no connectivity on a phone that is dead )

LTE uses more power than HSPA/UMTS anyways.... and HSPA/UMTS uses more power than GSM/2G

if you want even better battery life go to the GSM only option and live on the EDGE haha
    mount.zed and flyswatter66 like this.
    02-21-13 04:32 AM
    Would be nice if it actually worked on my phone on Koodo, but it goes straight to 3G, no H+. Known issue with the Z10 on some carriers.
    02-21-13 06:55 AM
67 123