Yep, I would charge a new phone for the first time off and overnight. Given you have the discipline not to play with it first. I don't have a Z10 yet so unsure if I would take my own advice.
    02-06-13 12:25 PM
    I received my Z10 last Friday (1st Feb). Today I have made the reluctant decision to return it to the retailer for a refund. The reason? The battery life is dreadful; so much so that in my view the phone's design is flawed.

The specs for the battery say something like 300+ hours of standby. Now I know this is under ideal conditions, etc., etc. I am not a heavy downloader/streamer and I don't use my BB for music. My carrier is 3G not 4G. I turn off the NFC, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I make around 15 minutes of calls and spend perhaps 15 minutes texting/messaging/emailing. The brightness is turned down to the minimum and I live and work in an area of excellent coverage so my BB is not continually searching for a carrier.

I leave for work at 7am having charged my phone overnight. By 3pm the red light is on and I am having to charge again. Then by 9 or 10pm I have to charge yet again.

300+ hours? Whoever wrote that spec is having a laugh. I find it depressingly reassuring that other users on this forum are having similar issues.

I'm gutted to be returning my Z10 as it is a beautiful handset; with a decent battery it could have been a real game-changer, but I'd rather have a phone I didn't have to charge several times a day.
    02-06-13 01:48 PM
    I bought it yesterday morning, and it came with around 30% battery life. When I got the 20% warning I plugged it in. After synching facebook, I noticed it got hot. Really hot. I ended up taking the membrane cover off to see if it helped. Eventually, it cooled.

Around that time an hour later, I noticed it was not charging well(I was playing with it while it was plugged in). I commented on it and someone pointed out that the USB charge plugged into a computer seems to only trickle charge it. So I plugged it into the wall outlet. Which charged it(While on) a **** of a lot faster. The other thing I noticed was the wall charger got really hot. but that seems common. I took it off the charger around 5:30pm

I played with it most of the night until around 3AM, at which point it was down to around 30%. Plugged it in the wall and went to sleep.

This is day 2 for me and I have had my blackberry on nearly nonstop since 10AM. it is 4pm now and I still have 40% battery life. My activities have been playing and downloading games, browsing, streaming videos, taking pictures and reading a short story on the kindle reader.
    02-06-13 02:08 PM
    Look at it this way. The Z10's screen is 18% larger than the iphone 5. It's battery has 26% more mAh. So if the iphone 5 lasts you either all day or almost all day, the Z10 should be just fine, assuming same usage, or even provide increasing returns due to the efficient coding.
    Don't forget the z10 runs applications live in the background. The iphone does not to save battery life. So those numbers don't really matter because the 2 operating systems run completly differently.
    02-06-13 11:25 PM
    For those lucky crackberry heads that have the z10, how is the battery life?
    I am on the fence about the 1800mah. The q10 will have 2200mah, so i am considering waiting it out for the better phone....what do you think?

Edit for another question: How hot does your z10 get with heavy usage?
    i am disappointed with the battery life. i use my phone daily for work and my torch went all day without a charge. i have had my z10 for two days, i let the battery die the first day and then recharged it over night. at work today the batter died after 6 hours and recharge about 75% and now its dead.

grrr
    02-07-13 12:40 AM
    I got 12 hours out of mine no problem today.

And that is with browsing the phone and constantly texting
    02-07-13 12:45 AM
    Searching for signal being a battery drain sounds crazy isn't this one of the main jobs a mobile phone should do with out too much drag on the battery?
    All phones suffer in areas of indifferent coverage as they need to increase the power to the radio and keep scanning for a better cell, the only alternative they would have would be to simply drop off the network entirely sooner than they needed to do so and that would be against carrier requirements and the official gsm specs too.

If you are in an area of poor coverage and you are able to get onto wifi instead you will find that it will improve your battery life since it can minimise that need to keep finding a better cell.
    02-07-13 12:59 AM
    300+ hours? Whoever wrote that spec is having a laugh. I find it depressingly reassuring that other users on this forum are having similar issues.
    That 300+ hours figure would be with all radios off and is just how long the device would last just sitting there, the other figures like talktime etc are the ones that are meant to provide you with more useful information. Just as a matter of interest, what was your previous phone and how long did it last under the same conditions?
    02-07-13 01:03 AM
    Personally, I am finding that the battery life on my z10 is better than on a htc one x or my 9900 in general with the main exception being in an area of 4g coverage where the 9900 is obviously not scanning those cells.
    02-07-13 01:05 AM
    mine goes warm after a while, and it is slow to charge. i bet it will take few days until the battery settles in. my lumia 820 is similar..gets better over time.
    this is the first day for me so it would only lasts 6-8 hours maximum with me constantly fiddling.
    we will see what happens over the few days ahead.
    i found that some apps are buggy (looks like sideloaded android apps) which may explain battery drains
    02-07-13 01:28 AM
    Does BB10 have a utility to show what apps and processes are running? If not is there an app for it?

I have an OS6 app, Battery Doctor, that alerts me if a process is causing a significant drain. Like camera left on.

Is there an app like Signal Refresh to tune the phone in on a better tower?
    02-07-13 07:17 AM
    I received my Z10 last Friday (1st Feb). Today I have made the reluctant decision to return it to the retailer for a refund. The reason? The battery life is dreadful; so much so that in my view the phone's design is flawed.

The specs for the battery say something like 300+ hours of standby. Now I know this is under ideal conditions, etc., etc. I am not a heavy downloader/streamer and I don't use my BB for music. My carrier is 3G not 4G. I turn off the NFC, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I make around 15 minutes of calls and spend perhaps 15 minutes texting/messaging/emailing. The brightness is turned down to the minimum and I live and work in an area of excellent coverage so my BB is not continually searching for a carrier.

I leave for work at 7am having charged my phone overnight. By 3pm the red light is on and I am having to charge again. Then by 9 or 10pm I have to charge yet again.

I'm gutted to be returning my Z10 as it is a beautiful handset; with a decent battery it could have been a real game-changer, but I'd rather have a phone I didn't have to charge several times a day.

I'd take it back. Are those of you with the more heinous battery problems all in the UK? If so, sounds like a bad lot got shipped there. Chronic returns will alert BBRY there is a problem.
    02-07-13 07:22 AM
    I bought it yesterday morning, and it came with around 30% battery life. When I got the 20% warning I plugged it in. After synching facebook, I noticed it got hot. Really hot. I ended up taking the membrane cover off to see if it helped. Eventually, it cooled.

Around that time an hour later, I noticed it was not charging well(I was playing with it while it was plugged in). I commented on it and someone pointed out that the USB charge plugged into a computer seems to only trickle charge it. So I plugged it into the wall outlet. Which charged it(While on) a **** of a lot faster. The other thing I noticed was the wall charger got really hot. but that seems common. I took it off the charger around 5:30pm

I played with it most of the night until around 3AM, at which point it was down to around 30%. Plugged it in the wall and went to sleep.

A new battery should be charged with the supplied wall charger. Some USB charge feeds do not have enough amps to charge a blackberry well. I have a wall USB outlet in my house. It charges my wife's S2 but won't charge my 9800.
    02-07-13 07:28 AM
    I got a z10 yesterday, and it came with roughly 30% charge.
    I didnt have too much time to use it as we were troubleshooting it on the bes.

Once i got home, i gave it a 2h or so charge with a wall charger, which basically had it at 100%.

When i went to bed, I plugged it into the wall charger beside my bed (out of habit not necessity).

However, when i woke up, regardless of the fact that it was plugged in all night, it had about 40% charge. Which leads me to believe that the charger turned off over night somehow.
    Any idea whats going on here?
    02-07-13 07:49 AM
    I got a z10 yesterday, and it came with roughly 30% charge.
    I didnt have too much time to use it as we were troubleshooting it on the bes.

Once i got home, i gave it a 2h or so charge with a wall charger, which basically had it at 100%.

When i went to bed, I plugged it into the wall charger beside my bed (out of habit not necessity).

However, when i woke up, regardless of the fact that it was plugged in all night, it had about 40% charge. Which leads me to believe that the charger turned off over night somehow.
    Any idea whats going on here?
    I've read people saying to make sure the plug is in all of the way.
    02-07-13 07:54 AM
    I have some issues with the battery life on my Z10 but what helps is tinkering with settings that suite the user's needs. In the end people have to remember the Z10 and other smartphones are basically minature computers which require a lot of juice.

Does anyone know how to check the battery percentage? I can't find it which ether means I am not looking in the right place or they forgot that feature which would disappointing.
    02-07-13 10:01 AM
    I am on my mobile all day for calls, tons of emails twitter and facebook along with browsing on and off all day and I had 30% or better left at the end of a day, fair enough for me.
    02-07-13 10:08 AM
    mine came out of box with like 1/4 battery. there is no % number on the battery (or i havent found one yet) so idk the exact number. I got it in the yellow withing an hour and am charging it now for the first time
    You can check the battery percentage in Settings>About>Hardware
    02-07-13 10:14 AM
    I haven't had an issue getting through the work day with it fully charged.

Honestly, this is pretty much standard procedure for today's flagship smartphones. Anyone running an android device can testify to that.

My wife's iphone 5 gets nearly the same battery life.
    02-07-13 10:55 AM
    I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but since I had my Z10 I could not get a 100% charge, always 95-97% and had battery drain like crazy (would last about 6 hours just texting and light browsing).

Today Facebook finally ticked me off enough (cant send messages through the Hub with it) that I removed my account. Now my battery is at 100% immediately after I removed Facebook, over the last half hour it seems to be discharging much slower, lost 3% rather than about 10%. And I am using a lot more now than my regular use to test it, opened many apps, played some music, and doing some texting.
    02-07-13 11:20 AM
    the battery life is terrible charging 2times a day..........

not happy at all
    02-07-13 12:02 PM
    my battery life is bad as well. WI-FI off BT off screen bright down to 30% dies in about 5 hrs. I am going to try to charge fully with power off as well as remove FB. fingers crossed because this is one kickass phone
    02-07-13 01:33 PM
    my battery has gone down only 10% in 3 hours and I have been on the phone for a good hour, and listened to music for another hour. it seems that the initial charge(s) may be draining quicker for whatever reason.
    02-07-13 01:43 PM
    Today is my first day with the phone so far. I used my phone as typical as my previous htc 8x. Well maybe more because of course I had to provide demos to all my coworkers in which they are all impressed

Anyway, off the charger 7am and it is now 4:15pm so about 9 hours in and it is 55%. With my HTC I probably would have about 50% the first week and after that it was about 65%. So hopefully my z10 gets "broken in". So today I used the camera a few times, about 100 text messages, 30 emails, some twitter and internet browsing. I hope I can get a whole day without charging!
    02-07-13 03:16 PM
    There are some very interesting post regarding battery life. Different people are having different result but huge differences, regardless to say it shouldn't be that much of a difference maybe +/- 1hr. Anyways

I got my Z10 on the 2nd of Feb. At first battery life was terrible. I charged the phone twice on the first day all though i charged the battery to 100%, maybe because i was playing around with a new toy/testing etc.

Howeever, its been nearly a week now and the battery seems to be lasting 12hrs - today I unplugged phone from charger at 7am, went to work - moderate usage with emails(5 accounst setup), bbm, whatsapp, flipboard, 2 demo's, LinkedIN, Twitter, setup MS Exchange & few camera shoots however wifi/bluetooth/nfc off and phone was dead bang on 7pm and this is with screen at 40%. So looks like 12hrs is the norm.

My only issue is and i know i am comparing my old phone but on my BlackBerry Torch 9860 i was getting 30hrs (1.5 days) easy on one charge with all the above + bedtime music for my daughter AND bluetooth on all the time 24/7.

I have switched few things off today including - location/GPS, data logging etc and pinned my network down to 3G and see what happens.

anyone getting more than 12hrs? if so how many email accounts you have setup & any other settings you have switched off?

Other than that love the Z10.
    Daughters not very happy - no music for her at bedtime as poor phone is hooked to the wall in my bedroom!!!
    02-07-13 04:13 PM
60 123