Thanks for once again raising the level of discourse on this site.

I suppose the fact that you are not banned yet does serve one important purpose. You are quantifying the minimum acceptable level of behaviour necessary to be a member of this community.
    Pot calling the kettle black methinks.

I've had improved battery life going into the second week of use. It is still not outstanding but adequate enough that I don't feel I need to take it back. I will likely invest in a portable charger to ensure I have enough juice to get me through days that I do not have easy access to a charger.
    02-16-13 05:45 PM
    cause bigger battery means prob different voltage on charger so using wrong voltage could mess up battery
    02-16-13 05:52 PM
    The first couple of days wasn't that great for me, but now I'm getting about 16 hours out of it. I browse the Web heavily, listen to music and BBM a lot. I do play games but very lightly, only to pass time when I'm on the train fir example.

I hope your battery issue gets solved because this is a great phone!
    europolska00 likes this.
    02-16-13 06:26 PM
    Interesting read in this thread. I watched the discussion re lithium-ion battery performance and whether or not deep discharging and recharging to full a few times helped it's performance... Now I am no battery expert but I sure know someone who is, a neighbour of mine who was a chemist/engineer for Rayovac for over 30 years, retiring 3 years ago.
    I asked him this afternoon about the above discussion and he definitley confirms that lithium-ion batteries do not have "memory" attributes like their predecessor's made of nickel–cadmium or Ni-Cad.. He didn't feel that a few early life full discharge/charge cycles would significantly affect battery life but did advise me that they typically lose about 20% of their capacity per year and could be even more at higher temperatures. So it does look like the anecdotal evidence as suggested by remus2k is not correct..
    My own personal experience (have had mine for 5 days now) is that initially my battery life was ok for the 1st days, maybe 10 hrs with moderate use, on day 3 I turned on "Allow gestures when locked" because I found it, then also turned up brightness to about 80% for my old tired eyes.. On day 4 battery life went way down, I got maybe 7-8 hours, don't think I did anything different. Today I turned off gestures but left brightness turned up. Will report back in a couple of days if I get any significant differences. All other settings were left factory defaults as far as I recall.
    Novaone likes this.
    02-16-13 09:37 PM
    Pot calling the kettle black methinks.

I've had improved battery life going into the second week of use. It is still not outstanding but adequate enough that I don't feel I need to take it back. I will likely invest in a portable charger to ensure I have enough juice to get me through days that I do not have easy access to a charger.
    Pot calling kettle black? Remus has posted profanity, insults, baldfaced lies and homophobic slurs. If you think my comments are inappropriate, I encourage you to use the report button found to the top right of every comment.

Regarding your claims of now "adequate enough that I don't feel I need to take it back" battery life:

Feb 06
    "That said, I'm a little concerned too. Took the phone off the charger at 8:30 this morning and it's 11:00 PST now and the phone is at approximately 75-80% with light to moderate use consisting of email, text, bbm, whatsapp and NO phone calls or browsing. I need my phone to last a full day. If not this guy has to go back unfortunately."

Feb 06
    "I certainly hope my battery improves.
    First full day of use - off charger at 8:30am: BBM, Text, Email, Streaming Songza for about 40 minutes, and a couple of short calls <5 min each and at 2:00pm the battery is at approximately 35%. I have WiFi where I am so it is on, the phone is on LTE but everything else is off.
    For my personal use I need it to last 12 hours without topping up. I really love this phone so I'd hate to take it back but if it can't do the job I might have to wait for the Q10 or the Aristo."

Feb 07 (following posts edited for brevity but I would be more than happy to supply the full post if desired)
    "I have now switched the network from LTE to HSPA so will see if that gives a little bit more life to the battery."

Feb 07
    "I really want my battery life to improve."

Feb 09
    "Basically needed two chargers to get through the day. Really hoping for improvement here b/c otherwise I love this phone!"

Feb 09
    "My only real concern is the battery life."

Feb 09
    "My useage sounds similar to yours with more emails and I'm finding the the battery life the same. So perhaps it's just the "break in" period and not a defect of your phone (or mine). Hopefully it improves."

Feb 11 (full post and the last one I will quote)
    "Thread title is a little bit dramatic.
    This is my 6th day with the Z10. The first 4 days I was very concerned about battery life and I commented in a few threads here sharing my experience and concerns.
    As the week progressed I took the advice I found in various threads here and have now found the phone to be more than adequate for my useage needs and just a little bit worse than my 9900 was - for reference been off charger now for 8 hours and battery is at %65. Below is a list of the tweaks found in other threads that I made to the phone which you may or may not find useful.

1. Turned off all unused services - WiFi, BlueTooth, NFC etc.
    2. Turned screen brightness down to about %30.
    3. Closed out all apps when not being used.
    4. Switch network from LTE to HSPA.
    5. Turned off phone and charged through the night until the green LED was on.

I found the two biggest difference makers was turning WiFi off and charging the phone through the night. Since then the phone is easily lasting through the day with moderate use. I encourage anyone with battery concerns to try the above. I initially had serious doubts about the phones ability to provide a days worth of service but I'm now fairly confident that it will and that with subsequent updates it will improve."

[END OF QUOTES FROM YOUR RECENT POSTS ON Z10 BATTERY LIFE]

It is obvious you have been unsatisfied with the battery life of your Z10 and have openly speculated about the need to return it because of this. As several others in this thread, you have come to the conclusion the battery life is now "adequate enough". Again, as for many others in this thread, the reason for this can be explained by an interesting psychological phenomenon called the behavioural confirmation effect. I have posted on this previously in this thread and will not rehash it here, but you make another interesting case study.

Lets take a look at what happened to result in your change of heart from dissatisfaction ("If not this guy has to go back unfortunately") to satisfaction ("adequate enough") regarding battery life:

-"1. Turned off all unused services - WiFi, BlueTooth, NFC etc."
    This is a major sacrifice in convenience and usability to try to eke out more battery life.

-"2. Turned screen brightness down to about %30."
    My displays are generally above 50% brightness as I feel compromising the usability advantage of a bright, easily readable display to compensate for poor battery life is a poor tradeoff. There are certainly some who would accept this compromise, but many will not. Most reviewers look for screen brightness when evaluating the usability of a phone. In my opinion the phone should have to work to make the user's life easier, not the other way around.

-"3. Closed out all apps when not being used."
    One of the major bragging points about BB10 is its supposed multitasking prowess. Systems like iOS with its "fake multitasking" are commonly derided. It is ironic to see you abandoning this supposed major advantage just to try to get adequate battery life. This is certainly not the usage model intended by the BB10 designers and something that very few users will put up with. There also several use cases for a modern smartphone that depend on applications running in the background (eg GPS apps).

-"4. Switch network from LTE to HSPA."
    This degradation of network performance to try and salvage battery life is accepted by you and many others with remarkable ease even though BBRY explicitly delayed the release of BB10 handsets for over 6 months for the specific reason of waiting for a capable LTE chipset. "We will not launch BlackBerry 10 devices until we know they are ready and we believe this new chip set architecture (LTE) is required to deliver the world class user experience that our customers will expect"

-"5. Turned off phone and charged through the night until the green LED was on."
    I'm sorry, but this one is just plain silly. The Z10 will have plenty of time to reach 100% charge overnight while on standby. Many people have given up landlines completely. Their smartphone is the only way to be contacted in case of, for example, a family emergency. Shutting it off while chargong overnight is absolutely no help with respect to battery life and significantly degrades the utility of the Z10.

You now find the Z10 battery life "adequate enough" after several days of complaints about its inadequacy simply because you radically changed your expectations of the phones capability. You chose to degrade the Z10 functionality in exchange for acceptable battery life.

I have absolutely no problem with your five decisions (OK, the first four. The fifth is of no conceivable benefit). Just don't pretend to us that these significant trade offs to get adequate battery life are something that most users will accept. This has nothing to do with a "break in period" and everything to do with your usage compromises.
    Novaone likes this.
    02-16-13 10:16 PM
    What i do know from a friend who works in biggest carrier here in Indonesia is that the software and it's integration with carrier system is still in beta stage(which is understandable because now carriers takes most control unlike BIS days) and what he says is that there are lots of signalling hence poor battery life.
    Thus the first update from both BB and carrier is very important to get the device settling down to acceptable signalling level.
    Now it's probably maintaining too much connection or requiring too much of it hence the battery is poor.
    More over we need to get the fourdots BB on before actually getting a connection and thats NOC.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-13 10:36 PM
    red stripe and remus2k....knock it off right now before you both get a boot in the behind out the door!
    anon(153966) likes this.
    02-16-13 11:24 PM
    Pot calling kettle black? Remus has posted profanity, insults, baldfaced lies and homophobic slurs. If you think my comments are inappropriate, I encourage you to use the report button found to the top right of every comment.
    My point simply is you are engaging each other in these ridiculous exchanges that do nothing to improve the state of understanding or user experience for those of us with the Z10.

Regarding your claims of now "adequate enough that I don't feel I need to take it back" battery life:

Feb 06
    "That said, I'm a little concerned too. Took the phone off the charger at 8:30 this morning and it's 11:00 PST now and the phone is at approximately 75-80% with light to moderate use consisting of email, text, bbm, whatsapp and NO phone calls or browsing. I need my phone to last a full day. If not this guy has to go back unfortunately."

Feb 06
    "I certainly hope my battery improves.
    First full day of use - off charger at 8:30am: BBM, Text, Email, Streaming Songza for about 40 minutes, and a couple of short calls <5 min each and at 2:00pm the battery is at approximately 35%. I have WiFi where I am so it is on, the phone is on LTE but everything else is off.
    For my personal use I need it to last 12 hours without topping up. I really love this phone so I'd hate to take it back but if it can't do the job I might have to wait for the Q10 or the Aristo."

Feb 07 (following posts edited for brevity but I would be more than happy to supply the full post if desired)
    "I have now switched the network from LTE to HSPA so will see if that gives a little bit more life to the battery."

Feb 07
    "I really want my battery life to improve."

Feb 09
    "Basically needed two chargers to get through the day. Really hoping for improvement here b/c otherwise I love this phone!"

Feb 09
    "My only real concern is the battery life."

Feb 09
    "My useage sounds similar to yours with more emails and I'm finding the the battery life the same. So perhaps it's just the "break in" period and not a defect of your phone (or mine). Hopefully it improves."

Feb 11 (full post and the last one I will quote)
    "Thread title is a little bit dramatic.
    This is my 6th day with the Z10. The first 4 days I was very concerned about battery life and I commented in a few threads here sharing my experience and concerns.
    As the week progressed I took the advice I found in various threads here and have now found the phone to be more than adequate for my useage needs and just a little bit worse than my 9900 was - for reference been off charger now for 8 hours and battery is at %65. Below is a list of the tweaks found in other threads that I made to the phone which you may or may not find useful.

1. Turned off all unused services - WiFi, BlueTooth, NFC etc.
    2. Turned screen brightness down to about %30.
    3. Closed out all apps when not being used.
    4. Switch network from LTE to HSPA.
    5. Turned off phone and charged through the night until the green LED was on.

I found the two biggest difference makers was turning WiFi off and charging the phone through the night. Since then the phone is easily lasting through the day with moderate use. I encourage anyone with battery concerns to try the above. I initially had serious doubts about the phones ability to provide a days worth of service but I'm now fairly confident that it will and that with subsequent updates it will improve."

[END OF QUOTES FROM YOUR RECENT POSTS ON Z10 BATTERY LIFE]

It is obvious you have been unsatisfied with the battery life of your Z10 and have openly speculated about the need to return it because of this. As several others in this thread, you have come to the conclusion the battery life is now "adequate enough". Again, as for many others in this thread, the reason for this can be explained by an interesting psychological phenomenon called the behavioural confirmation effect. I have posted on this previously in this thread and will not rehash it here, but you make another interesting case study.
    Thank you doing the heavy lifting for me. It may be semantics but the difference is important here, I did not say I was dissatisfied with the batter life, my statement is quite clear that I was "concerned" and I was "hopeful" that the battery life would improve. Following chronologically from your post you will note that over the course of several days I attempted various settings changes in an effort to improve that battery life culminating in the list I posted outlining the 5 steps I believe assisted in improving the battery life. I posted that for the benefit of others who are encountering similar concerns.

Further, you may want to consult your Psyc. 101 text book again or review your notes. Contemporary scholarly research in respect to the "behavioral confirmation effect" has almost exclusively been conducted in the context of behavioral interaction among people in a face-to-face social encounter. What you are arguing is occurring is much closer to "confirmation bias" and "attribution bias" than "behavioral confirmation effect". But I digress.

At the end of the day, what's it to you? If people feel that these techniques, notwithstanding the degree to which they strain credulity according to you, are effective and improving their experience shouldn't you be happy for them? Shouldn't we encourage each others positive experiences with this new device? I mean after all, the spirit of a forum is the free expression and exchange of ideas and not the dogmatic evangelization of ones intransigent beliefs.
    semperfi45 likes this.
    02-16-13 11:52 PM
    I don't know what to think after reading all those posts reporting different battery life... I think that one important point we need to know is who's using "Push" mode with active sync as it seems to be the most draining part on our Z10.... I've 15 Z10's for now for our company and we really have poor battery life while using push mode, but since we are all used to BES and instant e-mail reception, we don't really want to go with 15 mins synch which we found to be way better for battery life. If we think about the new BES 10, would it help our devices to be better on battery than actually ? We also try to always be on wifi while we are at the office, but going trough the day doesn't seems to be an option for now, only if we use 15 mins synch. What should we do ?
    02-17-13 12:37 AM
    Anyone ? That could be helpful to know who's using push mode and getting bad battery life out of theirs Z10
    02-17-13 10:05 PM
    Mine is all push and activesync, 6 hours so it's got to be charged anywhere..office, in car, etc

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 10:58 PM
    Nice to see a good helpful post. Thanks.

My point simply is you are engaging each other in these ridiculous exchanges that do nothing to improve the state of understanding or user experience for those of us with the Z10.

Thank you doing the heavy lifting for me. It may be semantics but the difference is important here, I did not say I was dissatisfied with the batter life, my statement is quite clear that I was "concerned" and I was "hopeful" that the battery life would improve. Following chronologically from your post you will note that over the course of several days I attempted various settings changes in an effort to improve that battery life culminating in the list I posted outlining the 5 steps I believe assisted in improving the battery life. I posted that for the benefit of others who are encountering similar concerns.

Further, you may want to consult your Psyc. 101 text book again or review your notes. Contemporary scholarly research in respect to the "behavioral confirmation effect" has almost exclusively been conducted in the context of behavioral interaction among people in a face-to-face social encounter. What you are arguing is occurring is much closer to "confirmation bias" and "attribution bias" than "behavioral confirmation effect". But I digress.

At the end of the day, what's it to you? If people feel that these techniques, notwithstanding the degree to which they strain credulity according to you, are effective and improving their experience shouldn't you be happy for them? Shouldn't we encourage each others positive experiences with this new device? I mean after all, the spirit of a forum is the free expression and exchange of ideas and not the dogmatic evangelization of ones intransigent beliefs.
    02-18-13 05:23 AM
    I find it makes a difference. Puts the BB to sleep when you have the cover closed and turns on when the cover is lifted.
    Attached Thumbnails Z10 Battery Is a Disaster!-blackberry-z10-flipcase3.jpg  
    02-18-13 06:00 AM
    I don't know what to think after reading all those posts reporting different battery life... I think that one important point we need to know is who's using "Push" mode with active sync as it seems to be the most draining part on our Z10.... I've 15 Z10's for now for our company and we really have poor battery life while using push mode, but since we are all used to BES and instant e-mail reception, we don't really want to go with 15 mins synch which we found to be way better for battery life. If we think about the new BES 10, would it help our devices to be better on battery than actually ? We also try to always be on wifi while we are at the office, but going trough the day doesn't seems to be an option for now, only if we use 15 mins synch. What should we do ?
    Use bes 10 and turn the option on so that data goes through rim's data centre. It improves compression and also stops downloading attachments with each email.

Also check your firewall idle connection settings. Same issue on iPhone and activesync. Look up online activesync and iPhone poor battery and you will find similar problems and solutions.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:25 AM
    Mine is all push and activesync, 6 hours so it's got to be charged anywhere..office, in car, etc

Posted via CB10
    Ok so in those conditions of use I call the phone unusable.

Charged anywhere is de facto unusable.
    02-18-13 07:20 AM
    I got charger everywhere so yes i can live with it until the first update from my carrier.
    I remember years ago my SGS2 had similar battery life, And it does gets better over time.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:47 AM
    I'm using push email and getting around 9 hours battery life. Not sure if that's good, though I did get 12 hours on one day.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:21 AM
    Use bes 10 and turn the option on so that data goes through rim's data centre. It improves compression and also stops downloading attachments with each email.

Also check your firewall idle connection settings. Same issue on iPhone and activesync. Look up online activesync and iPhone poor battery and you will find similar problems and solutions.

Posted via CB10
    Will definately take a look at the firewall idle connection settings, but we do have iPhone and activesync connecting trough the same firewall and not having battery issue like the Z10. At least, I've got some hints on where to check and also thanks to all others who replied battery life with push mode. I'm quite surprised that you're getting day long battery with push, I want to get this with moderate use and can't at the moment.

Thanks !
    02-19-13 08:13 PM
    I just switched back the "Push mode" on after somes adjustments on our Exchange server and firewall. I hope it could give a few extra hours out of our Z10 battery... We never known !
    02-19-13 09:03 PM
    Another user posted the idea of backing up the device, security wipe, reinstall os and restore. That also helped a lot!

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 09:06 PM
    Was on these threads as my Battery was running down from a full charge to zero within 4 hours, tried everything, turned all the connections off, screen, put it to sleep, the back of the phone so hot as well. Then I noticed notifications for unread messages but couldn't find them, had to do a search for unread messages and they were duplicates from gmail. So I deleted the gmail account and then battery problem was solved, i'm now getting 18-24 hours of use, LTE is on, etc etc and have three email accounts. Not sure why gmail was completing draining my battery. It's worth a shot, hope it helps.
    sportline likes this.
    02-19-13 10:20 PM
    I pulled about 24hrs on the last charge. minimal app use, never more then 2 apps running/updating at once, brightness around 35%, and wifi connected.

however, if i play intensive games capable of heating up the phone, the life is reduced to about 3 hours.
    02-19-13 11:27 PM
    I'm averaging minimum 12 hours and often close to 20 or so. screen on 50% brightness and i never leave active frames open except bbm and broswer sometimes. this thing lasts at least 50% more than my 9900 did and I do more with it. What more can you expect from it? It's not like the competitors battery life is any better, if you use your phone enough to kill it fast then carry a second battery or get a car charger or something - don't blame the phone.
    02-19-13 11:50 PM
    I'm averaging minimum 12 hours and often close to 20 or so. screen on 50% brightness and i never leave active frames open except bbm and broswer sometimes. this thing lasts at least 50% more than my 9900 did and I do more with it. What more can you expect from it? It's not like the competitors battery life is any better, if you use your phone enough to kill it fast then carry a second battery or get a car charger or something - don't blame the phone.
    Are you using "push mode" for any e-mail accounts you might have ?

We don't blame the phone, I do have 15 Z10 for our corporate account and a few iphones and SIII as BYOD and they are getting better battery life. If I remove the "push mode", we're not having any issues, it's up for arround 12 hours or even more depending on what's done with it... It does seems to be a reality that when "push mode" is being use the battery life is reduced a lot, so why would you say that we're blaming the phone or we should carry a 2nd battery ? I think that on normal use we should at least go trough the day and be fine with a 100% charge...
    02-20-13 07:59 AM
    I don't use my phone for email. I have a hotmail account linked to it in case I want to send an email but I don't receive or send emails fro my phone, for the most part. I use the PC for that.
    02-20-13 08:30 AM
307 ... 910111213