how do i go about disabling lte?
    02-11-13 03:01 PM
    I know some of you guys are die hard blackberry fans, but I'm personally having a hard time accepting this "oh you get used to it" or "just turn features off".

This is a conversation I had with my brother when he had the Galaxy Nexus. He raved about how intuitive, advanced, and powerful his phone was, which stacked up very nice on paper, but
    reality was that he had to turn off LTE, 3G, GPS, WiFi, NFC, Screen brightness, email push/fetch intervals just to make it through half a day.

He often made excuses that he uses the phone a lot, or he didn't charge it all the way or whatever, but reality to me was that he didn't see that he was just putting up with it for the sake of being a big Android fan.

He had to enable GPS whenever he wanted to use maps or weather. He had to manually turn wifi on and off, LTE? never used it with the excuse that we lived in a poor coverage area (10 miles from new york city) When ever he wanted to show me something on the screen, I had to wait for him to turn the brightness up so that I can see anything. with his phone usually dead by 6PM if he didn't charge it again at noon, he started to only use it sparingly to conserve the life. I'm sorry, but that is not intuitive, nor practical. It's foolish to accept that. He seems to have solve his issue by switching to a SG3....

Don't take this is a troll or hater post, but instead as a "hey don't put up with any B.S from your phone company." because believe me many smart phones can make it through the day.

Like many I'm hoping for Q10 to have most of the issues/apps concerns worked out by launch in the U.S.
    cckgz4, purpledog10, 1oo1 and 1 others like this.
    02-11-13 03:01 PM
    Turn off all radios not in use, including NFC and I also turned off the "Allow gesture when screen locked" feature...as I figured that has to cost battery life. I go a good 20 hours with moderate usage.
    02-11-13 03:03 PM
    OP, that's exactly how I felt on days 1 and 2, though coming from a Nexus 4, I wasn't as disappointed as you are, since that phone had even worse battery life. Anyways, now that I've had the phone for almost a week, I am VERY impressed with battery life, and I use the phone a lot! Give it at least 5 days
    europolska00 likes this.
    02-11-13 03:09 PM
    how do i go about disabling lte?

Settings - Network connections - Mobile Network in the network technology menu chose the one with HSPA+,UMTS and GSM
    02-11-13 03:13 PM
    I'm not sure what people do on their phones all day but I am having no trouble getting through the day on a charge.

Surfing and streaming on LTE will kill the battery no doubt but if you are mostly mail and text all day should be no issue.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 03:20 PM
    Take phone back and exchange it I had shocking battery life on previous Z10. The new one now lasts roughly 5 hours more and also its still breaking in as only had replacement for two days and only charged twice so far. Also check if the phone is charging too 100% that was big issue with the first one continually charging and never charging the battery fully I unplugged at 7:30am and just had 20% batt low notification at 21:19 so roughly 14 hours and going strong!!!

02-11-13 03:20 PM
    Also to add been surfing on 4g on train made 5 phone calls used BBM and text updated some apps and surfed c rack berry forums too so not bad at all seems there was a bad batch of phones made!

02-11-13 03:22 PM
    Mine was rubbish battery lifem then I removed the crap android apps and made sure I had my (many) email accounts set to the right level of sync e.g. not trying to sync tasks to accounts where I didnt care about them and it suddenly got a lot better. try tuning the settings for email, twitter (I disabled all together) etc. and I would expect youll find its actually an app thats using a lot of backround processing.
    02-11-13 03:27 PM
    I'm sorry, I tried. I really did. All I am doing is listening to some music on my Z10 and I'm lucky to get 6 hours out of this thing until it turns itself off. I don't know how people are reporting 16 hours, but you must not be touching your phones all day. My 9900 had a horrible battery and I could use it for most of the day. I feel like I'm going to have to charge my phone twice a day just to keep it going. How could BlackBerry know this and only put in a 1800mah battery? I want to like this device, I really do, but I can't like something that is always showing low battery or is dead before noon.

For everyone who is getting 14 to 16 hours, what do you do with your phones all day? Do I have a dud or is this just the phone?

Heartbroken!
    Europolska00
    Hi! I have definitely noticed an improvement in battery life the longer I've owned it! Initially it was on charge twice a day and now I get about 10 to 11 hours. Turn wifi off when not required and set your alert notification to led only for messages and text etc it made quite a difference for me.
    02-11-13 03:29 PM
    OP, that's exactly how I felt on days 1 and 2, though coming from a Nexus 4, I wasn't as disappointed as you are, since that phone had even worse battery life. Anyways, now that I've had the phone for almost a week, I am VERY impressed with battery life, and I use the phone a lot! Give it at least 5 days
    I'm on day 6
    02-11-13 03:31 PM
    I have been having crazy batery troubles to, but I think it is mostly on my part.

make sure EVERYTHING that you are not using is OFF
    make sure you switch the NETWORK to MANUAL so that it isnt always searching for the best network
    make sure you DO NOT HAVE dropbox or box set to autosync

lower your screen brightness, set your out time-out to a lower amount and you should be fine.

My battery was draining like crazy and I figured it was one of two things... the searching for signal or dropbox always syncing a folder that somehow got pinned. I fixed those two issues and charged my battery. Took it off the charger at 11:30pm, started really using it at 11:30am and with 5 hours of real use and 12 of just slight use (i would say 6ish hours of normal use) it is at 60%. Yesterday at this time it was at 70% and was taken off the charger at 12:30pm that same day!
    02-11-13 03:35 PM
    I've had my Z10 a week now and battery life seems to be getting longer. I don't think I'm imagining it.
    02-11-13 03:36 PM
    My battery was awful at first. I did a few cycle charges where I drained it to under 10% then turned the device off and charged it until the LED was green.

I have my screen's brightness set to 20-30% and honestly I don't feel that it is too dim for most situations (sunlight excluded).

I had LTE on, but I am located downtown Toronto so I would not be fighting for a signal. And I have all other radio features off like blue tooth, nfc, WiFi (unless at home).

My average battery life is 10-12 hours with that set up. And what I would consider heavy screen use. I send at least a couple hundred messages between BBM, text, Facebook, Twitter and email.

I am currently testing out the life by dropping down to 4G coverage for my daily use. If it adds a few hours, it is worth the drop in speed. After all most of my use is just sending text and not files.
    02-11-13 03:38 PM
    Well what i do is for every new phone is right away charge it fully and leave it on charge at 100% for at least 1-2hrs afterwards as its a new battery and it needs to be fully charged not just to when it says 100%, then i let it drain with usage and so forth to 20% and then do this all over again for at least the first 2-3 charges, then i find i get the most from the battery.

Also i run wifi on all day long whether it is using it or not and this is on any phone i have had, i never use bluetooth, well maybe rarely i should say and i look for options to shut off like anything push email and whatever settings i could careless to have or use. I dont install crappy apps that are battery hungry and i try and keep phone to stock as much as possible.
    02-11-13 04:25 PM
    Come on... With my Nokia N9 I'm playing flac and studio master files each day during 2 hours and my phone manages to stay alive during 1 day... The battery is clearly the weakest point... I really hope Mugen will release a better battery. I expect to buy the Z10 but with such a low battery I might prefer to take a Lumia 920 which can run during 2 days.
    02-11-13 04:35 PM
    The first day was bad for me, then i noticed i only get 1-3 bars on my signal. I turned off LTE and i now get full signal. I also made sure bluetooth was off and i turned off NFC.

My battery now lasts MUCH longer.

Hope this helps.
    LTE stands for "Life Thucking Entity"
    02-11-13 04:38 PM
    No it really isn't a disaster. I'm getting 14 hours a charge with LTE enabled and medium - high usage.

02-11-13 04:42 PM
    I can vouch. My first 5 days of battery life were terrible. I was worried I had a defect. On Saturday I drained the phone fave it an 8 hour charge phone lasted with heavy use until 9pm. Aprx and 11hpur hard use day.

Today I an at hour 10 with over 65% battery left.

Sadly its all in the battery cycle. Mine doesn't even warm up anymore.

Best of luck.

02-11-13 04:44 PM
    My battery has been getting better and better and I have spotty 4G in my office and home. I seem to get 4G LTE a little south and east of my house no problem so I am just in a weak area. My wife's Iphone 5 is the same. Not needed anyway in the house or office with wifi.

I am at 65% and had it at 95% at 12:00 - I have dowloaded a couple of apps, made a few calls, took half a dozen pictues without flash and scrolled through dozens of pictures, received and sent a dozen emails as well as surfed the web here and there.
    02-11-13 04:54 PM
    LOL. . .Blackberry said screw it. . .we had great battery life and look at what that got us. . .I guess you can hold out for the Q10. . .
    02-11-13 04:59 PM
    Come on... With my Nokia N9 I'm playing flac and studio master files each day during 2 hours and my phone manages to stay alive during 1 day... The battery is clearly the weakest point... I really hope Mugen will release a better battery. I expect to buy the Z10 but with such a low battery I might prefer to take a Lumia 920 which can run during 2 days.
    LOL. . .Blackberry said screw it. . .we had great battery life and look at what that got us. . .I guess you can hold out for the Q10. . .
    You clearly don't have a Z10, or have had it for less than 5 days. The battery life is quite impressive, actually. It gets about 50% better battery life than my Nexus 4 with a smaller battery, and even though it has a slightly smaller screen, it has LTE while the N4 doesn't
    02-11-13 05:25 PM
    Say these things below in your head 20 times a day.

Its a phone, its a phone, its a phone

Not a music jukebox, not a music jukebox, not a music jukebox
    You're joking right? The definition of a "phone" might be that, but a "smartphone" by today's standards is a "jukebox" and much more. A personal assistant, a social media provider, etc. To throw this excuse out just to defend battery life is blatant fanboyism. If it wasn't suppose to be more than a phone, why do they advertise it that way?
    PeaceGuru likes this.
    02-11-13 05:31 PM
    No matter how many times you tell people it takes several battery cycles to get a reliable tell on how your battery is going to act in the long run. You will still have the very same people coming back because after one charge its not lasting as long as they would like. Sigh
    02-11-13 05:48 PM
    today is day 7 for my z10, it 's always hot and drains like **** in the first few days. apart from the usual turn off this and that, i got it fully drained and charged back twice or so.
    yesterday i uninstall most of the applications (including drop box, box, foursquare, cb10 app, etc) what's left now are NY times app, greader, quick wikipedia and easy light. nothing else.
    the battery does get better, phone is colder to the touch, will see how it fares today.
    02-11-13 06:10 PM
307 1234 ...