I'm going to be using it as my secondary phone soon. Is it any good?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 09:10 AM
    It's good for the basics.
    Bbnivende and velkod like this.
    01-16-18 09:12 AM
    Hardware wise... for 2013 it was a pretty good device, only real flaw was undersized battery as BB10 is more power hungry than I guess they expected. Grab a few spare batteries...

Software... I'll assume you know all about BB10.
    01-16-18 10:10 AM
    It has a horrible battery life, and was very slow.
    01-16-18 11:51 AM
    It has a horrible battery life, and was very slow.
    It was slow with android apps.

It was decent with native apps. I had 2 Exchange accounts and 1 IMAP email account syncing everything, and had no issues sliding into the Hub and back out to the calendar and contacts all day long. Other native apps were fine as well.

Battery life was horrendous. And it only got worse by my 4th year of use.

You could buy more batteries, but none of them will be "new". They will all likely be at least 3 years old by now, and sitting in a warehouse shelf all that time doesn't help it's storage capacity.
    01-16-18 12:03 PM
    I can understand the ongoing interest for devices like the Passport and Classic, for their unique form factor and PKB.
    But a Z10? Lol why would anyone want a BB10 slab at this point? If you're gonna type on glass, there are SO many better Android options out there for cheap.

Even as a secondary device for SHTF, I wouldn't bother with one.
    01-16-18 02:24 PM
    I can understand the ongoing interest for devices like the Passport and Classic, for their unique form factor and PKB.
    But a Z10? Lol why would anyone want a BB10 slab at this point? If you're gonna type on glass, there are SO many better Android options out there for cheap.

Even as a secondary device for SHTF, I wouldn't bother with one.
    Depending on your usage. If you stick to native apps but not too many (basic user) and like the size of this phone I would say go for it as it is now really cheap and certainly get a battery or two extra as this is the advantage that you can swap batteries. Texting and mailing is what blackberry do best.
    01-16-18 02:29 PM
    The z10 is excellent. Used one as my daily driver for 4 years. My son has been 3.5 years on his z10, with no complaints. Excellent size, great keyboard, durable, great reception.

As noted, battery life isn't that great, and is certainly the worst of the blackberry lineup, but in my experience, it wasn't as bad as some on here make it out to be. I made it through the day most days without charging and the battery is swappable. My battery was on par with the iPhone 5 and was better than the Samsung S3, the other popular phones at the time.

No FM radio on the z10 but has HMDI for watching on a larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche, stlabrat and Janiso like this.
    01-16-18 08:47 PM
    I'm going to be using it as my secondary phone soon. Is it any good?

Posted via CB10
    Apart from a few bells and whistles, all BB10 devices are essentially identical, save the Passport.
    01-16-18 08:51 PM
    Thanks guys. From your feedback I think I'll make it my secondary phone.
    01-16-18 08:53 PM
    I second the battery complaint. Surprisingly poor battery, it would drain even when turned off in my case. Loved the phone though, such a nice design.
    01-17-18 01:10 AM
    Thanks guys. From your feedback I think I'll make it my secondary phone.
    Huh...at least get a Q10. Get something with a pkb.
    01-17-18 01:16 AM
    My favorite phone. Size n weight is perfect. Love it
    01-17-18 01:20 AM
    I use BlackBerry z 10 whats app not working. How to new updates
    01-17-18 01:31 AM
    I love my Z10 and have used it for years with a second phone number. It stayed in my car as a spare in case I forgot my regular phone. The problem was, even turned off the battery would run down, so that I also had to have a portable battery charger, eliminating the benefits of a small phone.
    I now use my Z30 as a spare. When turned off, the battery will hold a charge for weeks!!

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    01-17-18 05:54 AM
    I use BlackBerry z 10 whats app not working. How to new updates
    Download WhatsApp from www.whatsapp.com/android.

Install app, tap OUTSIDE the box when warned about Google Play Services.

Run patch from BlackBerry World:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/60005088

You will need an SD card for this to work.

If you want to discuss this further, use an appropriate thread.
    01-17-18 06:40 AM
    Its nice with its hdmi port. Don't see that too often but I guess it doesnt get used that much either.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 03:41 PM
    Hardware wise... for 2013 it was a pretty good device, only real flaw was undersized battery as BB10 is more power hungry than I guess they expected. Grab a few spare batteries...

Software... I'll assume you know all about BB10.
    Back in 2013, the original out-of-the-box BB10 OS was power hungry because of the graphics and file size(s) of the apps running in the background unbeknownst to the end-user (e.g., Story Maker, a MAJOR battery hog).

As time moved on through updates, graphics were flattened, thus allowing for more life out of the battery although still power hungry; the updates did help in addition to a stronger 'root of trust' at start-up. SURPRISINGLY, the Z10 is still a very strong phone and solid for many reasons, and truly a real BlackBerry, (ole' blue).

BlackBerry wasn't that concerned about specs back then as they were with the "experience" of a BlackBerry in your hand and the multiplicity of options and features that gave you a feeling of empowerment and productivity.

The joy of having a new BlackBerry along with a new generation OS allowed for personal success to lie not so much in the destination of GTD (getting things done), but rather the journey...(for ALL ages)

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 10:38 PM
    I second the battery complaint. Surprisingly poor battery, it would drain even when turned off in my case. Loved the phone though, such a nice design.
    I use mine daily. There are several things you can do to maximize the battery:

1) The screen is very good and very bright, so screen on time is limited, especially running video.

2) turn off the mobile radio when you don't need it, especially if in a weak signal area as it will burn through the battery trying to reestablish a connection.

3) Top it off every chance you get, preferably on a trickle charge.

4) buy the battery changing pack and an extra battery tobswap.out as needed.

5) Don't fool around with Android apps. Native is best on this phone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-22-18 10:54 PM
    Back in 2013, the original out-of-the-box BB10 OS was power hungry because of the graphics and file size(s) of the apps running in the background unbeknownst to the end-user (e.g., Story Maker, a MAJOR battery hog).

As time moved on through updates, graphics were flattened, thus allowing for more life out of the battery although still power hungry; the updates did help in addition to a stronger 'root of trust' at start-up. SURPRISINGLY, the Z10 is still a very strong phone and solid for many reasons, and truly a real BlackBerry, (ole' blue).

BlackBerry wasn't that concerned about specs back then as they were with the "experience" of a BlackBerry in your hand and the multiplicity of options and features that gave you a feeling of empowerment and productivity.

The joy of having a new BlackBerry along with a new generation OS allowed for personal success to lie not so much in the destination of GTD (getting things done), but rather the journey...(for ALL ages)

Posted via CB10
    It got somewhat better battery life with the updates, but still far behind what other phones of the era were capable of with the same size battery. I expect most Z10 owners had one or two spares to make it through a day.

I had one spare, which was fine during my normal day of charge at night, charge in the car and charge at work. But my wife's iPhone 6 from that period lasted longer than two batteries in my Z10. When we went on Vacation, had to rely on her phone... had to anyway as the pictures were better and the apps needed worked.

Z10 might be a "strong phone" if you have the spare batteries and all you want is a communications tool.
    01-23-18 08:04 AM
    my wife's iPhone 6 from that period lasted longer than two batteries in my Z10. When we went on Vacation, had to rely on her phone... had to anyway as the pictures were better and the apps needed worked.
    Interesting. My partner's Z10 was relied on, on holiday, over an iPhone because at that time the Z10 was 4G and the iphones were all 3G. Must admit we always had the (small) standard Z10 charger in our day bag. Having a small charger is sometimes a longer term answer than having another battery. Depends where the OP goes to I guess :-)
    01-23-18 08:57 AM
    Let's be clear. If you need to use your phone extensively away from power for more than a few hours and don't want to carry at least one extra battery or charger, the Z10 is the wrong phone for you.

I love mine and still use it more than any other phone by an 8:1 margin, but the battery constraints are real.

01-23-18 09:54 AM
    Let's be clear. If you need to use your phone extensively away from power for more than a few hours and don't want to carry at least one extra battery or charger, the Z10 is the wrong phone for you.

I love mine and still use it more than any other phone by an 8:1 margin, but the battery constraints are real.

Was pretty surprised when the LEAP only got a 1000mAh bump in battery size. Guess the larger but few PPI really makes a difference.
    01-23-18 01:35 PM
    I still use mine daily. Including for some Android apps.

It's true that the battery life is far and away the biggest "weakness" of this phone. However, it needs to be repeated that the battery is swappable. In my opinion, this actually takes a glaring weakness and turns it into a bit of a strength (depending on your type of use).

I have an external charger that is usually plugged in somewhere keeping a spare battery topped up. When my device starts running low, I plug it in to the charger, open the back cover, swap the batteries, and I'm back up to 100% and ready to go all in a matter of 10 seconds. There is no "quick-charge" technology that can get you back fully-charged anywhere near as fast!

And the form factor is probably it's biggest strength, in my opinion. The thing is simple but elegant. And tough. And perfectly sized. BB10 fans still use this device for the exact same reason while you will still see people with their iPhone5: the form factor / size hits a sweet spot that devices today still leave something to be desired for many.
    01-23-18 01:46 PM
    Does pretty well with screen brightsness down, headphones in and kept cool. I lay it on cold glass or marble.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-18 05:10 AM
48 12